shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanadium beryl vs emerald

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I wonder the same things sometimes while driving, the green stop lights and the turn signal green light are different green tones...I like the turn signal tone more.:mrgreen2:

We often hear stop light spinel, but I haven’t seen talk about green light emeralds yet.

Our regular green lights are the perfect blue green (: Im sure theyre different everywhere.

And I know right?
Green light emeralds should be a thang :mrgreen:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have a small mineral specimen of red beryl in matrix from the Violet Claims, Wah Wah Mountians, Utah:

Red beryl in matrix 1.JPG Red beryl in matrix 2.JPG Red beryl in matrix 3.JPG
Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Do you ever use these specimens on your desk as paperweights? They'd be nice to look at. Or are they too expensive to use as paperweights? :P2

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our regular green lights are the perfect blue green (: Im sure theyre different everywhere.

And I know right?
Green light emeralds should be a thang :mrgreen:
I did a thread on my “go light green garnet” on PS a long while back. I don’t think find emeralds really look like go lights though. They’re unlike anything else.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I did a thread on my “go light green garnet” on PS a long while back. I don’t think find emeralds really look like go lights though. They’re unlike anything else.

I'll have to go look! I love green garnets also but emeralds are still my fav.

And again our stop lights here aren't a pure green but are very much a blue green making them look pretty identical to my favorite colored Emmys.
I think most green lights elsewhere have no blue though and in that case yes they dont closely resemble many.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mint tsavorite is bluish green, and glowy, hence the comparison. Go lights look bluish green to me.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Do you ever use these specimens on your desk as paperweights? They'd be nice to look at. Or are they too expensive to use as paperweights? :P2

Hi voce. Er, that specimen is a little bit small and light to be a paperweight! It's only 30 mm long. The gemmier crystal is about 5 mm across and protruding about 3 mm from the matrix. It's not bad for a thumbnail specimen of red beryl though.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi voce. Er, that specimen is a little bit small and light to be a paperweight! It's only 30 mm long. The gemmier crystal is about 5 mm across and protruding about 3 mm from the matrix. It's not bad for a thumbnail specimen of red beryl though.
:lol-2: sorry, I couldn't tell the scale from your photos at all and somehow assumed it was the same size as what I'm seeing on the monitor. Thanks for that reality check. :geek2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Metallic green!! Love these!
E663B8A4-354C-4577-AB6F-4277908F4001.png

Screen shot from Instagram.

ETA: pricescope killed the color on the upload. They look yellowish here????

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

Ooooooh those are also stunning! Man I just swoon for emeralds. Anyone else? :mrgreen:

And I actually dont see any yellow T L!
I love that cut btw, it makes the velvety-metal-emerald goodness even more visually appeasing to the eye. Are these babies yours? If so im jealous!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness no!! They’re not mine, but from BG stones. I wish they were mine!!!!

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock

PS killed the colour on some of my emerald photos too. It's hard to get the colour right in the photo on the phone, and then it changes tone again once uploaded to PS. Why is that?!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I read...

"Colombian color type and VS type III in clarity (GIA standards)"

it don't mean nothing, right? :eh:

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@DauphineMucha @T L
I am so curious to know what that emerald looks like in "real life" the colour in sunshine looks so pretty! But it's so hard to see from those photos what the inclusions might be.

I wonder if they are usually trade buyers who buy through that auction platform.

Looks a little like this emerald, no?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BySiR83l6fJ/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure which emerald you’re talking about, there’s a lot of them in this thread. All I can say is that no photo or video ever comes close to showing the true beauty of a fine emerald. I did finally see a Moussaieff ad for emerald jewelry, and in the last bit of footage I finally saw that Gota De Aceite phenomenon that only the finest emeralds have, but I’m not sure if I can post it here.

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sure which emerald you’re talking about, there’s a lot of them in this thread. All I can say is that no photo or video ever comes close to showing the true beauty of a fine emerald. I did finally see a Moussaieff ad for emerald jewelry, and in the last bit of footage I finally saw that Gota De Aceite phenomenon that only the finest emeralds have, but I’m not sure if I can post it here.

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant the emerald from gemrockauctions that @DauphineMucha posted about most recently, in the post immediately above mine. I think you may have found this first and posted the link here.

Absolutely understand what you're talking about re: the difficulty of photographing emeralds. Not sure what the Gota De Aceite phenomenon is, will start googling now!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those pale emeralds, as in the auction, are pretty kind of in a bright or neon tourmaline way. The dark vivid emeralds are very different. Both are beautiful, but darker emerald is more velvety/metallic and greener than green.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Emerald is just so funky fun...look at Michelle Yeoh's under various light settings. Some shots made it look like even med. with strong saturation or something!

-6A6nkv1I4GZfwan.jpg 8214186-6564297-image-a-342_1546846883165.jpg 546848358984.jpg emeraldring1.jpg Michelle-Yeoh.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
A few more...

Kate Moss & Heidi Klum

1152879.jpg 438663100.jpg amFAR Gala.jpg

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
Emerald is just so funky fun...look at Michelle Yeoh's under various light settings. Some shots made it look like even med. with strong saturation or something!

-6A6nkv1I4GZfwan.jpg 8214186-6564297-image-a-342_1546846883165.jpg 546848358984.jpg emeraldring1.jpg Michelle-Yeoh.jpg
Wow wow wow. Fine emerald really looks amazing, especially when subject to all those photographer flashes! What do you mean by “even med”?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Wow wow wow. Fine emerald really looks amazing, especially when subject to all those photographer flashes! What do you mean by “even med”?

I think it's a strong saturation, but strong light makes it look lighter toned.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Oh, as in an even medium colour with strong saturation?

med. = medium tone. Mostly likely hers is medium dark but the light made it look "lighter".

I am kind of odd about pairing outfits with emerald jewelry. I often think that wearing black shows off the emerald better. :geek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results