color
clarity

Value Old European Cut over 12ct

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MollyMalone|1472913719|4072883 said:
Bepsi|1472890192|4072830 said:
Again thanks to everybody! I got really a lot of useful information from you all :)
As we are planning our honeymoon in US, and NY will be our first stop, I will ask my wife to renounce to her ring for some days in order to get the GIA paperwork done, and if time will be enough to get the stone repaired / polished.
At this point I am also very curious to see what the GIA gradings will be.
As soon as the dates of our trip will be set I will contact some of you to get assistance in all this.
By the way... the setting I choose for the ring had the main objective to protect the stone as much as possible, also sacrificing a little bit light performance. After repairing this could change and my wife could actually wish a different setting.
I will give her the ring in 2 weeks (she has no idea about all this) just a couple of days before the wedding in the same place we met 5 years ago for the first time.
After I will post some more pics and this time with natural light and with a better quality!
Oh that's terrific that you will be coming here to NYC! You two could actually sit with David Atlas while he does the appraisal; he's very nice, very informative -- it's like having a personalized diamond "tutorial."

I just now checked GIA's web site; it's currently taking the NYC lab about 2 weeks to issue reports. Same day service is usually available, but that costs twice as much as standard service. Because the fee for a Diamond Grading Report on a stone that's 12.00 - 14.99 carats is $1067, the rush fee would be more than $2100. You may already have looked up the fees for a diamond of this size, but if not, I wanted to give you a heads-up.

Looking forward to seeing the post-proposal pics!!
Big stones come with an automatic rush. It's 'free' with your $1067 grading fee.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
denverappraiser|1472932347|4072961 said:
Big stones come with an automatic rush. It's 'free' with your $1067 grading fee.
THANK YOU, that's great news for bepsi!

But geez, I wonder why GIA doesn't see fit to tell people about that "freebie" on their fee schedule.

Bepsi

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much MollyMalone and Denverappraiser! The information about GIA grading fee in NY helps me to setup the budget for the honeymoon ;-)

Pearaffiar, the setting is white gold 750 (not rhodium plated), we choose this color in order to make the stone appear "better", my fiancee actually loves platinum but in this case the L color of the stone would have appeared much more.

My future wife made it clear (without ever saying) that in case of a proposal she would have wanted a Tiffany ring, and so yes i proposed with a very nice little (0.3ct) Tiffany solitaire (having already in mind my bigger project).

In my original idea (as I was picturing the wedding), my wife would have been wearing both of them, the engagement ring and "the surprise", but my mother communicated me some days after the engagement that she decided to make to the bride a special gift....

both.jpg

So I am at the moment quite curious to see how see what my wife will do... will she wear all 3 of them or will she renounce to wear the e-ring?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your mom gave your fiancee the amazing ring in the picture? Oh my goodness. Maybe you might want to think about making a pendant out of the 12ct one instead of a ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So she has her lovely e ring, that stunner of a ring from your mom and then the stone in question??

If that's the case I'd make the 12 ct a pendant. I can't imagine wearing both huge rocks on my hands at the same time

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Niel said:
So she has her lovely e ring, that stunner of a ring from your mom and then the stone in question??

If that's the case I'd make the 12 ct a pendant. I can't imagine wearing both huge rocks on my hands at the same time

I agree- she should do the Tiffany solitaire on her left hand as her engagement ring, big rock on her right hand, and 12 carat OEC as a pendant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
I will step in to say that there is nothing wrong with having 3 completely fabulous rings.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I also agree three rings would be nice. FWIW, I could not wear a 12 carat stone in a pendant--a bracelet for sure, but not sure that size would sit properly on the neck......

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh! I adore the antique ring your mother gave her! :love: I really prefer antique style settings for antique stones, personally!

I think the 12 ct ring would be a special occasion ring, and the others worn more on a daily basis. Just be sure you have the antique ring thoroughly checked to be sure the prongs are holding the stone securely! I definitely agree with keeping the 12 ct stone as it is but with rehab for any damage, if needed.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1473016867|4073206 said:
HI:

I also agree three rings would be nice. FWIW, I could not wear a 12 carat stone in a pendant--a bracelet for sure, but not sure that size would sit properly on the neck......

cheers--Sharon

Not a diamond of course but I wear a 13mm(plus bezel) pendant and it sits just fine

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bepsi|1472425134|4070997 said:
Hi to all experts and not,
As wedding present for my future wife I decided to use a diamond I got a long time ago from my grandmother.
As until now I always kept it in a very safe place I never cared about the value, but now... as I hope she will use the ring sometimes, I would like to insure it.
The jeweler who helped me with my project did estimate the value around 30.000 Euro as it is and old European cut, but he told me that having it recut, and if the size will still be over 10ct, the value could easily arrive to 80.0000 Euro.
For which value should I insure it?

The jewelr made a certificate.... It is not GIA, I know (unfortunately I began to read this forum too late!):
Measurements mm: 15,93 - 16,00 x h 7,86
Weight: 12,54ct.

7,86 mm is not enough for 10 Ct Round Modern Cut.
You may expect 8ct-9ct AGS0 ,GIA Ex after Recut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the diamond has damage and needs recutting, I would definitely go through Good Old Gold to send to Yorman (DiaGem) to recut as an OEC/AVR. He cut my diamond which is in my avatar picture.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info about the setting! I love it. Feel free to post some side shots :) :) :)

Bepsi

Rough_Rock
Updates after presenting the ring :)

As planned we were staying in the same hotel (the lobby) where we met, and when nobody was around I took the moment to propose her again (2 days before the wedding) with the new ring.
She was totally shocked (positively) about the ring and of course about all my planning!
Regarding the ring, she really liked the modern setting I did choose for the stone and how it looks, but the size seems to be a problem... too much for the wedding she said, she would not feel comfortable with everybody asking about it. so the decision was made at the wedding she did wear the tiffany e-ring and the present of my mother (4,55ct OEC Q-R Color).

I must admit that I agreed with her; I always saw the stone without a setting (I did receive it like this and I did not have the "need" before to get it mounted), but in the setting and beside the 4,55ct it seems quite fake, too big to be true!
The day after we had a party with some fiends coming from abroad (we are both expats) and she decided to ware it, but telling everybody that it was a nice piece of bijouterie; she felt comfortable like this, and maybe in some time she will get used to it, but I think it will be only for very special occasions.
In my earlier posts i forgot to specify that my mother did present to my wife 2 earrings (uncertified as they are in the setting) of about 4,55ct each probably R color) and the ring I already posted, which is a "copy" of the original one owned by my aunt.

Here some new picture we did with them all together and with different views

file_18-09-2016__10_10_01.jpg

file_18-09-2016__10_16_24_0.jpg

file_18-09-2016__10_16_43.jpg

file_18-09-2016__10_17_02.jpg

file_18-09-2016__10_17_40.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just... wow.

Does your mother want to adopt me? :tongue: lol

Did you get the big(gest!) stone graded in the end?

If not, you really should so that you can accurately insure it.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, what gorgeous diamonds :love: I love them all but I have to be honest, I do not love the setting that the 12ct is in. It's too bulky and does not compliment the stone at all. I especially love the earrings and the 4.55ct ring. Your wife is a lucky lady to have these diamonds.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Wow. Absolutely stunning. Crazy big!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamonds are amazing and the gifts from your mother. Wow.
However, the nicest thing for me is that your fiancé is so well loved, both by you and your mother. I hope she wears all these beauties with love and pride and in years to come, there are some lovely little girls added to your family who will one day share the love and beautiful diamonds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those earrings are absolutely incredible!!! Gorgeous settings! :love: :love: :love:

I gotta be honest like my friend above, I extremely dislike the setting on the 12 ct stone. It looks like a man's ring. The settings on all the other OECs are complimentary to the antique style of the stones. In seeing how huge that stone is now, I would have it reset in an antique style pendant modeled after the earring settings, personally.

Beautiful diamond collection, for sure!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just thinking, if your mother is gifting your fiancee these magnificent diamonds, I wonder what your mother's personal jewelry collection looks like!!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to offer an alternative side, I actually love the setting you have the big diamond in. It's modern but I love it :)

Congrats to you both! And I agree that it's so wonderful that your mother loves her :)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!

they are amazing!!!

i love old cuts... i also love the setting that it is in. I think i could also wear it my self! LOL.

Congrats!!!

OMG- agree with DS- i wonder what your g'ma collection is/was like!

Bepsi

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all :)

The setting of the 12ct stone, was a real trouble for me and the jeweller... the stone has big diameter (around 16mm) and is shallow (7,86mm). The jeweller tried to simulate on paper (no CAD) how a classic solitaire setting would have looked like and with these proportions the result was not good. In addition to that I liked the idea of a modern-antique fusion for this ring.
The result is that either you like it or you hate it; no half-way!

The pendant seems to be a very good idea, and after having the stone graded by GIA my wife will for sure consider this option!

Regarding the jewellery collection... the one of my grand-grandmother must have been incredible (the 12ct was 1 of 4 quite identical); her collection has been dived into 5 daughters, and my grandmother had 3 daughters (one of them is my mother) :)

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning, dear God please don't recut it!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bepsi|1474552497|4079552 said:
Regarding the jewellery collection... the one of my grand-grandmother must have been incredible (the 12ct was 1 of 4 quite identical); her collection has been dived into 5 daughters, and my grandmother had 3 daughters (one of them is my mother) :)

:shock: :o :-o

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
:shock: Wooooow, that's a pretty fantastic collection of diamonds you have. Thanks so much for sharing them (and the background story) with us. I love the idea of a pendant for the 12 carat stone. I literally felt my heart squeeze a lit bit at the thought of a recut. I love it in its current imperfect glory. Of course what really matters is that you and your wife love it.

My personal favorite is the 4.55 carat stone and setting.

Please please please keep us posted (and I personally would love more pictures :angel: )

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!! :o Beautiful and HUGE diamonds! :love: :love: :love:

I'd not put the 12ct in a pendant, however. That'd be difficult to wear, it'd flip and might be uncomfortable...and also a bit unsafe, it'd just have a chain supporting it. I'd like to suggest a one-of-a-kind, special occasion ring.

Bepsi

Rough_Rock
Some additional pictures, finally also outdoor, for a walk i a nice and warm automn Sunday afternoon :)

img_2189_0.jpg

img_2190_0.jpg

img_2191_4.jpg

img_2215_0.jpg

In natural light it looks much more "alive" than in the pictures we took indoor.
The effect in the center, is it the so called fisheye?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Youve got to reset that! She doesn't even look like she can close her hand!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is such a beautiful stone. I would love to see it in a feminine setting. In fact, I think it would be much better in a pendant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results