shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent HELP!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to do a search on here on ovals. Try "good oval".... you need to learn more before you spend several thousand on one.

You best bet is to call GOG, or ERD, or BGD... places with someone on staff with a great eye for picking bright diamonds. Giving them your budget, tell them H or better, eyeclean, brightest stone they find, without a prominent bowtie, and as close to a carat or 5x7 as possible.

You have to buy fancies with measurements. Not carat weight.

Second option is to ask JA to evaluate these for eyecleanliness and get an ASET image of each:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1335351.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1542190.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-SI1-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1530653.asp

There are no cut parameters like "ideal" or "excellent" or "good" for ovals. Ovals are completely different creatures than rounds. Ovals have to be bought based on faceting and light return. ASETs help you with light return, pics and videos help with faceting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baulieu|1354576971|3321673 said:
Boy do I have a story for you all today! I went shopping again today to decide between these two styles and the decision became painfully clear. The one store with the more modern style with the small halo priced me the style done specifically in an oval headstone shape and was a whopping 2600 dollard with a discount! Then priced me the 1.25ct oval center stone they had that I was thinking about mounting in that style and it was a whopping 5700 dollars. So I thought ok stay calm and asked what the specifications of the diamond were starting with grade of the cut and the woman (who owns the store) asked what I meant, "Did I mean cut of the diamond?" she asked and I replied no, I meant is it a good, excellent, or ideal cut diamond and then asked if it was GIA certified and she informed me it was not, then I asked who it was certified by and she informed me it was not certified at all. This super bothered me. Should I be bothered so much by this? I just felt like I had no idea what I was paying for without some kind of certification or standardized scale. Either way I the total of 8300 was ridiculous for that engagement ring alone.

I would not buy a stone without a cert.

Baulieu

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1354581294|3321729 said:
You need to do a search on here on ovals. Try "good oval".... you need to learn more before you spend several thousand on one.

You best bet is to call GOG, or ERD, or BGD... places with someone on staff with a great eye for picking bright diamonds. Giving them your budget, tell them H or better, eyeclean, brightest stone they find, without a prominent bowtie, and as close to a carat or 5x7 as possible.

You have to buy fancies with measurements. Not carat weight.

Second option is to ask JA to evaluate these for eyecleanliness and get an ASET image of each:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1335351.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1542190.asp

There are no cut parameters like "ideal" or "excellent" or "good" for ovals. Ovals are completely different creatures than rounds. Ovals have to be bought based on faceting and light return. ASETs help you with light return, pics and videos help with faceting.

Oh thank you very much. Im also in the market for an elongated cushion, im not as crazy about the more symmetrical pilow shaped cushions. Could you tell me anything about them?

vishke8

Rough_Rock
Baulieu|1354576971|3321673 said:
Boy do I have a story for you all today! I went shopping again today to decide between these two styles and the decision became painfully clear. The one store with the more modern style with the small halo priced me the style done specifically in an oval headstone shape and was a whopping 2600 dollard with a discount! Then priced me the 1.25ct oval center stone they had that I was thinking about mounting in that style and it was a whopping 5700 dollars. So I thought ok stay calm and asked what the specifications of the diamond were starting with grade of the cut and the woman (who owns the store) asked what I meant, "Did I mean cut of the diamond?" she asked and I replied no, I meant is it a good, excellent, or ideal cut diamond and then asked if it was GIA certified and she informed me it was not, then I asked who it was certified by and she informed me it was not certified at all. This super bothered me. Should I be bothered so much by this? I just felt like I had no idea what I was paying for without some kind of certification or standardized scale. Either way I the total of 8300 was ridiculous for that engagement ring alone.

No way, I would pay this much for a stone which is not even certified..that is one of the reason I avoid local jewelers.

Try out buying online from some reputed websites like, JA, B2C, GOG, BN, BG and there are a few more.

You will be surprised with the quality that you will find a much cheaper price than what you would be paying to a local jeweler.

Don't forget to compare between these websites to get the best deal.

Goodluck :loopy:

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
You are going to have a hard time finding a 1-1.5 ct diamond with setting for $4500-5000 budget. The Gabriel setting is around $1500. Ovals face up larger than a round or cushion so you may be able to go under 1 ct and still get the appearance of a larger stone. I know your BF doesn't want to buy online but I suggest that you find a more reputable b&m store. You know, GOG is a b&m and also online...maybe your BF would feel more comfortable with that. I was shocked at the price of diamonds too when I started looking. Last time I bought a diamond was 2002!

Baulieu

Rough_Rock
Im sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I meant that the budget for just the diamond is 4500. For the total of the engagement ring I would like to stay in the $6,000- 6,500 range. I know, diamond prices and gold prices have really went up. I had browsed for a short time a few years ago and prices were not nearly what they are today. Oh, and thank you for your suggestions. I will get in contact with the people you all have mentioned. I also have mentioned these sellers and talked to my bf about it and he said that the only way he would do that is that he would have to be shown somehow by the seller or me that it is cerified and that the certification is 100% real. He also would like some security with the purchase online such as paypal, I suppose? Do you know if any of those that were mentioned use paypal or something similar? Also, do you know a way that I could show him that the certificates are not fake? What city and state are these places located? Maybe a trip could be arranged?

Thank you all so much!
-Erin

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erin, Good Old Gold is a family owned jewelry stone on Long Island in NY. Jonathan Weingarten is the diamond expert there, but his mother works there, his wife, his daughter, his sister, and various others. I have also dealt with WhiteFlash and Pearlmans and do not hesitate for a second to send them money. Pearlman's is also an old local jeweler in Michigan, and WhiteFlash is newer but they also have a retail location now in TX. I have wired large sums of money to all three. What your bf does not realize is that you have little idea of the honesty and reputation of the jewelers in your city, but you have hundreds and hundreds of testimonials on this site from people who have made purchases from various jewelers. Some of these have far better return and upgrade policies as well. Once I bought a diamond from a vendor I found out about here, I never turned back because I would never be able to access the quality of diamonds at the prices I can here. A lot of people aren't familiar with this kind of shopping, but it is just far better once you do it.

Baulieu

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1354629217|3322142 said:
Erin, Good Old Gold is a family owned jewelry stone on Long Island in NY. Jonathan Weingarten is the diamond expert there, but his mother works there, his wife, his daughter, his sister, and various others. I have also dealt with WhiteFlash and Pearlmans and do not hesitate for a second to send them money. Pearlman's is also an old local jeweler in Michigan, and WhiteFlash is newer but they also have a retail location now in TX. I have wired large sums of money to all three. What your bf does not realize is that you have little idea of the honesty and reputation of the jewelers in your city, but you have hundreds and hundreds of testimonials on this site from people who have made purchases from various jewelers. Some of these have far better return and upgrade policies as well. Once I bought a diamond from a vendor I found out about here, I never turned back because I would never be able to access the quality of diamonds at the prices I can here. A lot of people aren't familiar with this kind of shopping, but it is just far better once you do it.

Thank you. I will inform him of that. I contacted GOG and WhiteFlash.com about a few items I saw there. Whiteflash is checking on a 1.29 ct H vvs2 oval diamond for me and GOG is going to send me a few videos. I can't believe the prices on all the sites. I am amazed. Thank you for your suggestions

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Prices...you mean how expensive??

Here is a 1.14 I VS2, VG cut oval, GIA certified for $4895. So, that non-certified stone the jeweler showed you was WAY over priced.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-114ct-oval-diamond-dont-disagreee-with-gia
Look at the spread of this oval!! If you want a diamond that looks larger, oval is the way to go!

I would NEVER hesitate working with GOG. I have been working with them on my e-ring for a couple of months now. They are patient and willing to work within my budget and parameters. Your BF should feel confident about sending them money, either via bank wire transfer or using his credit card. They also have a 6-month same as cash financing plan. Not to mention their 30-day return policy and lifetime upgrade and trade-in policies. They don't have a huge oval selection, but they can source one for you. They also have a bunch of cushions if you decide to go that direction.

Baulieu

Rough_Rock
mandasand|1354659424|3322537 said:
Prices...you mean how expensive??

Here is a 1.14 I VS2, VG cut oval, GIA certified for $4895. So, that non-certified stone the jeweler showed you was WAY over priced.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-114ct-oval-diamond-dont-disagreee-with-gia
Look at the spread of this oval!! If you want a diamond that looks larger, oval is the way to go!

I would NEVER hesitate working with GOG. I have been working with them on my e-ring for a couple of months now. They are patient and willing to work within my budget and parameters. Your BF should feel confident about sending them money, either via bank wire transfer or using his credit card. They also have a 6-month same as cash financing plan. Not to mention their 30-day return policy and lifetime upgrade and trade-in policies. They don't have a huge oval selection, but they can source one for you. They also have a bunch of cushions if you decide to go that direction.

That stone is beautiful. I mean inexpensive and with much higher quality. I have been thinking about the possibility of a more rectagular or elongated cushion cut instead of a oval because of the bowtie effect. What are your thoughts on this?

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I love cushions, especially antique cuts. But ovals face up larger than cushions. It's really what pleases you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
get an oval if you like, they face up larger than cushions ( cushions dont face up very large comparatively ) and just do a little hunting and you can find one with out a bowtie problem. I would contact GOG and ask them to find you a good one with the specs youre looking for.

Dont worry about buying online, they are reputable businesses. It would be no different than if you bought it in a store. How can you guarantee the cert they are giving you is real? Same thing. They send you the certs along with your stone. And I mean the only difference is that instead of going into there actual location, you're dealing with them via the web.

Baulieu

Rough_Rock
ok. I would love love love to get an oval, however i'm trying to keep my options open. It seems as though cushions are much more readily available than good ovals and I really dont think I could go wrong with either. I have been looking at this cushion in the mean time while I have been trying to find an oval. Tell me what you think! Im also in the process of getting a ASET image for this stone. :) Mandasand, I keep looking at that oval you showed me. Have you ever bought from that site?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1363442.asp

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the shape but fancies show more color. I would advise not going lower than a h. And even then it CAN show some color in some lights. My pear does but I'm ok with it. If you're ok with some color than go for it it's a lovely stone but fancies will show more color. Especially at an I.

Baulieu

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1354808368|3324114 said:
I love the shape but fancies show more color. I would advise not going lower than a h. And even then it CAN show some color in some lights. My pear does but I'm ok with it. If you're ok with some color than go for it it's a lovely stone but fancies will show more color. Especially at an I.
In your opinion, do you think it is worth it to sacrifice a little on color for it to be IF? How do you think I would look face up in a setting? Would it be obvious that it was a little lower color grade?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baulieu|1354810201|3324174 said:
In your opinion, do you think it is worth it to sacrifice a little on color for it to be IF? How do you think I would look face up in a setting? Would it be obvious that it was a little lower color grade?

This is an opinion and personal preference, but for me no its not. You will clearly see a difference between a G and an I, but you may not even see the difference between a VS2 and an IF. You want your stone eye clean so you dont see any inlcusions. Once you get to a level that its eye clean, anything higher would be a "mind clean" thing. You would know to yourself "oh i have an IF diamond", but really its not going to have much on an effect on the look of the stone compared to say a stone that is VS2 and eye clean. But I would go actually look at an I in person. You may see the color, but that doesnt mean you mind it at all. Plus setting it can make a difference. YG with WG prongs might make the stone seem brighter because its compared to a warm yellow gold. But then again you may not like YG.

if you look at an I (make sure its a GIA I not an EGL I) and like it, then thats great, itll help your budget.
I like this one as well
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS1-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1195109.asp

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
The PriceScope knowledge tab has a lot of good information. I'd start there, and really read up on fancy shapes, color, clarity, etc.

Good Old Gold also has a YouTube channel with a lot of informational videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan
I'd suggest you watch the ones about buying cushion cuts.

Baulieu

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1354811909|3324221 said:

This is an opinion and personal preference, but for me no its not. You will clearly see a difference between a G and an I, but you may not even see the difference between a VS2 and an IF. You want your stone eye clean so you dont see any inlcusions. Once you get to a level that its eye clean, anything higher would be a "mind clean" thing. You would know to yourself "oh i have an IF diamond", but really its not going to have much on an effect on the look of the stone compared to say a stone that is VS2 and eye clean. But I would go actually look at an I in person. You may see the color, but that doesnt mean you mind it at all. Plus setting it can make a difference. YG with WG prongs might make the stone seem brighter because its compared to a warm yellow gold. But then again you may not like YG.

if you look at an I (make sure its a GIA I not an EGL I) and like it, then thats great, itll help your budget.
I like this one as well

I saw a EGL certified H SI1 cushion cut diamond today and was incredibly dissapointed in the color of the stone. It was very yellow in my opinion even face up. Is there a large difference in GIA cert H color and EGL? Could it of just been that particular stone? I compared it to a H round that was there and it was a rather noticable difference. The round seemed much more colorless. I feel like im even more confused than before :((

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baulieu|1354837479|3324890 said:
nielseel|1354811909|3324221 said:

I like this one as well

I saw a EGL certified H SI1 cushion cut diamond today and was incredibly dissapointed in the color of the stone. It was very yellow in my opinion even face up. Is there a large difference in GIA cert H color and EGL? Could it of just been that particular stone? I compared it to a H round that was there and it was a rather noticable difference. The round seemed much more colorless. I feel like im even more confused than before :((

There was two things worth noting for that. A GIA H and a EGL H are going to be very different. Ive heard it can be anywhere between 2-5 shades off. EGL doesnt have the same color grading guidelines which is why you really have to look look at a GIA certified color to know exactly if youre comfortable with that color the second part of that issue was the fact that like i said fancies hold more color, so a round in an EGL H and a fancy in a EGL H are not going to face up the same color. The fancy will seem yellower.

Done be discouraged!! this is the fun :) imagine, once your dont you wont have anything to hunt for :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can ask James allen to pull in up to 3 stones and have them compared and they would give you ASETS of each of them, all without a charge. They can tell you if there eye clean too, or anything else you might want to know

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Very-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1525615.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS1-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1195109.asp ( so you can compare colors)

ETA: or if you like the look of those one gypsy posted too, but again they let you have 3

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stick with GIA only!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had you decided on your setting? Did you like any ones at ja? Then you could get them at the same place, if convenience is something youre concerned about
i like this one
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-scroll-basket-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring.html
says it is only for rounds buy if you look in the bottom corner theres an oval in the recently sold pics

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-039ct-diamond-halo-pave-engagement-ring-11028w14.html

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-048ctw-halo-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring.html
again it says its only for rounds but then they show a recent sale of one with a cushion, so i dont know. one of those rounds have a millgrain on it, which ive heard before they do for free. Very antique-y and cool if it could be done in an oval.

Baulieu

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1354847989|3325067 said:
Had you decided on your setting? Did you like any ones at ja? Then you could get them at the same place, if convenience is something youre concerned about
i like this one
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-scroll-basket-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring.html
says it is only for rounds buy if you look in the bottom corner theres an oval in the recently sold pics

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-039ct-diamond-halo-pave-engagement-ring-11028w14.html

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-048ctw-halo-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring.html
again it says its only for rounds but then they show a recent sale of one with a cushion, so i dont know. one of those rounds have a millgrain on it, which ive heard before they do for free. Very antique-y and cool if it could be done in an oval.

I had decided on this setting from Gabriel and Co.. Again thank you for your insite on clarity and grading. All hope is not lost. :

_2234.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baulieu|1354851771|3325112 said:
nielseel|1354847989|3325067 said:
i like this one

I had decided on this setting from Gabriel and Co.. Again thank you for your insite on clarity and grading. All hope is not lost. :

ah ok ok. I do love that setting. the PSer with that setting and a pear settings is one of my favorites! Itll be beautiful!! any of those stones strike your fancy or are you having GOG find you one?

Baulieu

Rough_Rock
I have found an oval in person that I really liked alot. If I do not purchase it I will have GOG find me one. I hate to bother them and waist their time if I might buy this one locally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results