shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent Advise request

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am looking to upgrade to a cushion in a platinum setting, leaning towards a halo setting. I have narrowed it down to 2. I will need to make a decision soon as my hold will soon expire. I prefer a more rectangular shape and I am just looking for the stone that will have the most WOW in a ring. I am not as concerned about the clarity, just that it is eye clean and visually appealing.

My first choice was this stone: I really like the unusual shape and feel like it has a great deal of sparkle, but as it has been pointed out to me there is some "crushed ice" appearance in the corners of the table and the thick girdle. Not sure how that will impact it's overall visual.
ASET report not available.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.11-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-1081095

On a previous thread, this next stone was suggested and now I am torn. I really like the fire in this stone. It is smaller in carat weight and measurement. It also is not as elongated as I would prefer (I have short fingers, size 6 ring ).
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.03-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-245748

I have gotten mixed feedback form "the diamond experts"- Please help!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first stone's issue isn't "crushed ice". That is just another style of cutting that has erratic facets but still sparkle kind of like glitter with no distinct pattern.

The problem in the first stone is that it has no sparkle/light return in that "X" area. That's what was referred to as "mush."

The second has much better performance and faceting. However, preferred shape in a cushion is important, and the second stone isn't what you said you'd prefer, so... the search continues...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, you've picked two duds there. Those both suck.

How about you let us pick a diamond for you?

What's your budget?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stones that are worth your time. Do NOT compare carat weight. Compare ONLY measurements of the stones for size. Okay?

These will give you the most "WOW" I promise.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8377564-3.02-carat-Cushion-diamond-F-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/3.00-Plat_Mod--GIA-H-SI1-diamond-stock-14307-cert- This is a very nice cushion. Great price. From a fantastic vendor.

Stone with potential:
Ask for ASET :
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-3-01-Carat-E-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-GQZRY4

At JA, ask for ASET. And tell them there is no way in h*ll you are spending 40k on a stone without an ASET. And if they want the sale, they will figure out how to get you one.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.05-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-1092320

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1464064074|4035593 said:
Stones that are worth your time. Do NOT compare carat weight. Compare ONLY measurements of the stones for size. Okay?

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8377564-3.02-carat-Cushion-diamond-F-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/3.00-Plat_Mod--GIA-H-SI1-diamond-stock-14307-cert- This is a very nice cushion. Great price. From a fantastic vendor.

Stone with potential:
Ask for ASET :
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-3-01-Carat-E-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-GQZRY4

At JA, ask for ASET. And tell them there is no way in h*ll you are spending 40k on a stone without an ASET. And if they want the sale, they will figure out how to get you one.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.05-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-1092320

Gypsy, Thank you for your help. I went ahead and passed on the JA that I had on hold. Just to get a better understanding of what to look for, can I ask what you didn't like about the 2. I know in the still photo the first one had some dead areas but it still had great sparkle in the video and the 2nd one was recommended by another PS poster as being a great option.

I really like the JA recommendation that you made. But, of course they are saying the stone is not in there office and ASET not available until purchase. Also, I am very drawn to the slightly more elongated shape( I have short stubby fingers). They all seem to lose some brilliance or become crushed ice. That is what drew me to the first JA, because it still had visual sparkle

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
Octo2005|1464193975|4036173 said:
Gypsy|1464064074|4035593 said:

Stone with potential:
Ask for ASET :

Gypsy, Thank you for your help. I went ahead and passed on the JA that I had on hold. Just to get a better understanding of what to look for, can I ask what you didn't like about the 2. I know in the still photo the first one had some dead areas but it still had great sparkle in the video and the 2nd one was recommended by another PS poster as being a great option.

I really like the JA recommendation that you made. But, of course they are saying the stone is not in there office and ASET not available until purchase. Also, I am very drawn to the slightly more elongated shape( I have short stubby fingers). They all seem to lose some brilliance or become crushed ice. That is what drew me to the first JA, because it still had visual sparkle

I personally love cushion number two that you posted. The faceting pattern is way cool and unique and I'm really drawn to it. I also like the one for 40k that Gypsy recommended. Those 2 are my faves.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
(I personally love cushion number two that you posted. The faceting pattern is way cool and unique and I'm really drawn to it. I also like the one for 40k that Gypsy recommended. Those 2 are my faves.[/quote])

Thank you for the feedback Rockbrat. I agree and was surprised to hear that gypsy thought it was a dud. But after looking at the other JA that was suggested, I can see the difference.

I still think # 2 is pretty and it is $8000 less. I was hoping some of the experts would chime in. Maybe there is something wrong with the stone that I am missing.

seekingshiny

Rough_Rock
Of the two you initially posted, stone #2 is definitely much superior, stone #1 has mushiness. Something to take into mind is how you like your cushions - some like more chunkier flashes of light, some like smaller flashes - Gypsy has picked good ones of both types. I think that you should ask JA to get you ASET on the stones you are interested in, that way you will get more objective information about light performance.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy is right on target. We would not recommend either stone posted originally. There are some beautiful modern cushions, but I would not even consider paying $30k for either of those, personally. I concur with Gypsy's recommendations (other than I no longer recommend Enchanted Diamonds).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1464227132|4036338 said:
(other than I no longer recommend Enchanted Diamonds).

What did I miss? Why are you no longer recommending ED?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1464227330|4036342 said:
diamondseeker2006|1464227132|4036338 said:
(other than I no longer recommend Enchanted Diamonds).

What did I miss? Why are you no longer recommending ED?

It was a recent thread that I think was locked. Some of the trusted vendors were on it along with J of ED. They accused him of listing stones on his site when he does not have a relationship with the cutter/supplier. As in, he lists some stones that he could not access. So I assume when someone tries to order one and the cutter won't sell to him, he just has to say the stone isn't available. I find that over my limit in the ethics department.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
seekingshiny|1464223356|4036317 said:
Of the two you initially posted, stone #2 is definitely much superior, stone #1 has mushiness. Something to take into mind is how you like your cushions - some like more chunkier flashes of light, some like smaller flashes - Gypsy has picked good ones of both types. I think that you should ask JA to get you ASET on the stones you are interested in, that way you will get more objective information about light performance.
I did ask for the ASET on the stone that Gypsy recommended and they said it is overseas and ASET not available. If I were to purchase, they would do one before shipping to me and send along with the stone for review. They have a great return policy, however that seems fishy. Has anyone worked with them before? I am beginning to wonder because the first stone that everyone is saying is such a dud, was located and recommended by one of their "diamond experts"

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octo2005|1464233079|4036373 said:
I did ask for the ASET on the stone that Gypsy recommended and they said it is overseas and ASET not available. If I were to purchase, they would do one before shipping to me and send along with the stone for review. They have a great return policy, however that seems fishy. Has anyone worked with them before? I am beginning to wonder because the first stone that everyone is saying is such a dud, was located and recommended by one of their "diamond experts"

Gypsy recommended a few. Which one are you talking about? Sales reps for big diamond dealers are almost never experts. They are just trying to sell diamonds. That's why coming here is a better idea, because we have nothing to gain by giving our advice and probably know about 95% more than those sales reps about diamonds and jewelry in general.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
msop04|1464061725|4035572 said:
The first stone's issue isn't "crushed ice". That is just another style of cutting that has erratic facets but still sparkle kind of like glitter with no distinct pattern.

The problem in the first stone is that it has no sparkle/light return in that "X" area. That's what was referred to as "mush."

The second has much better performance and faceting. However, preferred shape in a cushion is important, and the second stone isn't what you said you'd prefer, so... the search continues...

I am thinking that maybe I should just switch to a round (9mm range) and place in a cushion halo as suggested in an earlier post, would that be a better choice in terms of getting the best visual "bang for your buck". My engagement ring was a 1ct round with side stones (a round and a princess) and I was hoping to do something very different this time.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1464233490|4036376 said:
Octo2005|1464233079|4036373 said:

Gypsy recommended a few. Which one are you talking about? Sales reps for big diamond dealers are almost never experts. They are just trying to sell diamonds. That's why coming here is a better idea, because we have nothing to gain by giving our advice and probably know about 95% more than those sales reps about diamonds and jewelry in general.

I am sorry, the JA diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, James Allen is reputable and what they said is true. They are owned by a diamond supplier and have cutters in various places in the world. Some stones are in NYC and others are in other countries. If they call in a stone from say, India, then they do the ASET when it arrives in their NY office. Their return period is good.

BUT, in reading your other post, I highly agree with getting an ideal cut round in a cushion halo because it will be more brilliant than almost any modern cushion. However, there are newly cut antique cushions that have ideal light return...Good Old Gold August Vintage Cushions and Victor Canera antique cushions. They are priced a bit higher because they are specialty cuts and are really beautiful.

For ideal cut rounds, take a look at Whiteflash ACAs and Expert Selection and they have a variety of halo settings, both designer and WF settings.

Victor Canera has a nice selection of ideal cut rounds and he make fabulous handforged settings.

Good Old Gold is another with top quality rounds and you can use Steven Kirsch for a handforged halo setting.

I have personally bought things from all of the vendors above except not SK yet. All excellent.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do not get a round in a cushion halo for someone who has specifically requested a cushion diamond.

People who like fancies are NOT happy with rounds. If they were they would have said "get me a round".

What does the wearer specifically want?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1464236124|4036398 said:
Do not get a round in a cushion halo for someone who has specifically requested a cushion diamond.

People who like fancies are NOT happy with rounds. If they were they would have said "get me a round".

I think the OP is the one who will wear the ring.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1464236124|4036398 said:

The ring would be for me, an upgrade for our 10yr anniversary. I don't hate rounds but my original engagement ring had a 1ct round center with 2 smaller stones tapering along the band. I was just looking for something different and unique. I thought that a fancy cut would be the best way to do that. However, it seems that finding a good one is more challenging then expected. I was hoping for something in the 9mm range and am drawn to the slightly elongated stones.

You had recommended a JA stone, I love it but they won't ASET unless I purchase (it is overseas).

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that sort of budget and your stated requirements, have you considered getting something custom-cut?

I know GOG have done it many times, and their AVC range (and their modified cushions with round-cut lower half) are very nice!

If you can find some cut patterns that you like, GOG might be able to arrange for one to be cut specifically like (or close to) the one(s) you have seen that you like :)

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The AVC's are nice, but way out of my budget for the size that I would like. Not stuck on a particular Carat size since I have learned in fancy cuts the measurements are more important. Maybe an oval or would be a better choice because I could go down in ct size and still have a visually large stone.

I tried to attach a photo of the setting that I am drawn to. Let me know if you can't see it. (It's a pave halo and pave split shank intertwining like the infinity symbol..

Not really set on anything specific, just want something that is unique with a sizable, but not gaudy center

img_11804.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ovals give you more face up size for weight than cushions do. That setting looks like it would work fine with an oval. They are also hard to find, but we can help you with that, too. Gypsy is good at finding ovals. But you do need to know that there are few fancy cuts that will equal ideal cut rounds in light performance. I think that is okay in a pave halo setting like you are interested in, though. That setting will have to be treated with TLC, though. Probably best for a ring that is not worn daily.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, it will definitely not be my every day ring. I really like the uniqueness of it. I have not seen any halos with the detailing in the band like that. Its usually just pave, pave split shank or plain. Open to suggestions if anyone knows of a great option for short fat fingers LOL

I think that the photo is actually an oval the more that I look at it. I found what I believe is the setting at on a local jewelers website and it shows that it is available in all both an oval and cushion. I haven't had it priced out yet, but I am guessing 3-4K.

I love the JA cushion that Gypsy recommended with a few glitches:
1. They won't ASET unless I purchase - The stone is overseas (Not sure how big of a deal that is, in the video it is gorgeous)
2. It is a little more than I had planned to spend. That is okay it is still within an acceptable price point(I might just have to settle for a simpler setting for awhile), but I am wondering if switching shape might yield a better visual size for less money

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am hoping to stay under 40, but for a stone that knocks my socks off there is some wiggle room.

I do like the FCD's but for this I would prefer a colorless/near-colorless stone.

I am looking for an embellished solitaire type ring, if that makes sense. I would like the center stone to be the primary focus and anything else to just enhance not compete. Still want a delicate/unique setting with some character as long as the center stone is still the star of the show.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cushions are really the only shapes that can match rounds for performance. Mostly because of their popularity right now and the availability of well cut stones.

If it's for you, then I recommend you go out and try on a little of everything and see what appeals to you ON YOUR HAND.

I've been on here for over 10 years. I fall in love with some new design twice a year. Half the time when I try things on in person they look like hell on my fingers.

I would hate to have you spend so much time effort (and MONEY!) and get something that doesn't look great on your hands.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS regarding the thread that you refer to. Can you link me? I must have missed it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1464332871|4036863 said:
DS regarding the thread that you refer to. Can you link me? I must have missed it.

I almost did, too. I was not following the thread but looking at it beginning with this page (but more than halfway down they start talking about the listing of diamonds he can't access):

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cut-score-on-enchanted-diamonds-website.221988/page-3#post-4023859#p4023859']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cut-score-on-enchanted-diamonds-website.221988/page-3#post-4023859#p4023859[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results