shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade from .5 to 1 carat

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend that you get the real thing and get into an upgrade program.

The thing is being frugal can be great at times but it can actually cost you a lot in other instances.

In this case you already paid for an MMD AND a setting and will likely end up not wearing it. There is not much of a resale market for them. Now, if you order the 0.88 and Still don’t like it then it will be money wasted twice.

I think in your case I would bite the bullet and get a real diamond over 0.5 and upgrade as it is comfortable for you. I just get the feeling you will enjoy it too.

I have no issue with natural diamonds, I did ask in the main thread and was told basically not to bother if I'm not willing to spend $2k+ and honestly I'm not because right now I would be happy with the .8 that's available now for $900 so why would I spend double that for an inferior natural stone?

The one I already bought won't be a waste, I plan to eventually buy another .5 and turn them into diamond studs, currently I wear cheap cz studs every day and would like to wear diamond studs instead.

And I assume you didn't mean this offensively, but mmd ARE real diamonds.

Are you sticking with LB because your budget is absolutely firm at $800? Because they aren’t releasing 1 carats by the dozen for a reason. They are piercing them for a reason. For only $1200 you can get a graded diamond that pretty close to ideal cut. Will it be as amazing as a WF ACA? No, but that doesn’t mean it won’t still sparkle. And I bet it will look better than a majority of LB’s diamonds. When you’re on this forum, it can be easy to think that anything that isn’t super ideal is basically crap, but for most people, a diamond will be beautiful even if it doesn’t meet the highest of standards from people with thousands and thousands of dollars to spend. Will you be happy with 1 carat? Or will you keep wanting to go bigger and bigger? Can you afford that? Most people can’t or don’t want to. I hope you find something beautiful that makes you happy!

This one looks great on the video and the inclusion near the girdle could easily be covered with the right prong. The inclusion in the table is barely noticeable, I can’t imagine you’d see it without magnification.

For $1300 you can get one that is cut to AGS Ideal & GIA Excellent standards. And that is a super clean SI1!

Thanks I will look at these. I might consider paying $1200 if it's the same as lightbox but I don't think it's possible. Lightbox was estimated as G/VVS VG/EX. So I could get the .88 from LB for $900 right now, and possibly a full carat for the same price, I don't think I would want to pay 50% more for a natural stone even if it was equivalent which it won't be, right?

Honestly not trying to be combative and I appreciate the suggestions, I'm just kind of over the whole biz and sick of the inflated prices. This isn't an investment for me, I don't plan to sell these ever. I just want a pretty ring.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Except you don’t really know that is what you’re getting with LB. From everything I’ve read, two 1/4 carat stones have been examined and written about, two. You don’t know the actual light performance because they don’t tell you what the angles are. There are ideal and excellent cuts that aren’t very good. Obviously you should do whatever it is that will make you happy in the long run, but you can’t expect the industry to change and complain when it doesn’t because you want a cheap yet high quality diamond. I’m not trying to be combative either, but I do think you’re being unrealistic. LB has no desire to take business away from themselves, they aren’t going to release a large number of what is usually considered to be the benchmark size for engagements rings. I honestly hope you find something that you adore and makes you happy every time you look at it, I know how exciting it is. <3 =)2

And as for the comment about “the real thing”. Yea...we get it. Some people are snobs about lab created stones. I’m yawning over here with my over 3 carat, ideal cut, sparkly as crap diamond that I’m going to love in my ring and never sell. And I didn’t have to spend what many families would spend on a car to get it. I honestly get a little disgusted by that kind of excess, not to mention the impact on the environment. But I don’t talk down to people who only want mined stones, I mind my business because it’s their decision. Please stop lecturing us about our decisions.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Except you don’t really know that is what you’re getting with LB. From everything I’ve read, two 1/4 carat stones have been examined and written about, two. You don’t know the actual light performance because they don’t tell you what the angles are. There are ideal and excellent cuts that aren’t very good. Obviously you should do whatever it is that will make you happy in the long run, but you can’t expect the industry to change and complain when it doesn’t because you want a cheap yet high quality diamond. I’m not trying to be combative either, but I do think you’re being unrealistic. LB has no desire to take business away from themselves, they aren’t going to release a large number of what is usually considered to be the benchmark size for engagements rings. I honestly hope you find something that you adore and makes you happy every time you look at it, I know how exciting it is. <3 =)2

And as for the comment about “the real thing”. Yea...we get it. Some people are snobs about lab created stones. I’m yawning over here with my over 3 carat, ideal cut, sparkly as crap diamond that I’m going to love in my ring and never sell. And I didn’t have to spend what many families would spend on a car to get it. I honestly get a little disgusted by that kind of excess, not to mention the impact on the environment. But I don’t talk down to people who only want mined stones, I mind my business because it’s their decision. Please stop lecturing us about our decisions.

Who's lecturing?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like you are very happy with the .5 Lightbox diamond apart from the size. So you wouldn't be fussing over performance with one of these diamonds and would enjoy it as long as it was in a bigger size.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like you are very happy with the .5 Lightbox diamond apart from the size. So you wouldn't be fussing over performance with one of these diamonds and would enjoy it as long as it was in a bigger size.

Yes exactly. And any natural diamonds at that price point are going to be a gamble for me since I'm not an expert and I can't tell from looking at stats if I'll like it. I don't know if I would be happy without seeing in person. I even asked before about finding local jewelers in Philly who have ungraded estate diamonds I could look at in person and maybe find something I like in the $1000 or less range, but was told not to bother because anything at that price won't hold a candle to lightbox. So here I am waiting with little hope for the 1ct Lightbox, and plan b to buy the .88, with a strict deadline that I have to buy something when my wedding is closer so I can get a wedding band to match and have a completed set on wedding day. Natural diamonds aren't part of the equation anymore. They don't inherently have any higher value to me over mmd the way they do for others, and I have no interest in resale value (not like natural have great resale value either), so there's no reason for me to look for one.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Just placed an order for the Lightbox two stone pendant in blue. The white stone will be .88. Would have preferred pink for the extra stone but oh well, didn't want to miss out again. Had a $50 off code from an order they messed up before that was expiring in January so I'm glad this came back in stock before then. Total was $865 including shipping.

I was recently considering getting a lower quality lab diamond from BTD but they didn't respond in time with my request for angle measurements and I didn't want to miss out on the LB again. The one I was looking at from BTD was .91 D SI2, so basically same size (LB could be slightly higher or lower than the listed size) slightly whiter (D over the LB estimate G) but more included (SI2 over LB estimate VVS) although BTD did tell me it was eye clean when they inspected it. The BTD one was going to be $773 and free shipping, so I ended up spending $93 more for a better clarity diamond, and I would assume better cut but who knows. I do know I'm very happy with my current LB so I feel safe getting another one, and the BTD would have been a higher risk.

I'm happy, and I think I'm going to be really happy with this upgrade. I got the price I wanted and the size and quality I wanted. The difference between .88 and 1 carat, I will never notice when it's on my finger. But when my new ring is finished I probably will stop coming here for a while to avoid another bout of DSS and start pining after a 1.5ct, lol. Excited to share pics next week when the LB comes in. Happy weekend everyone!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Just placed an order for the Lightbox two stone pendant in blue. The white stone will be .88. Would have preferred pink for the extra stone but oh well, didn't want to miss out again. Had a $50 off code from an order they messed up before that was expiring in January so I'm glad this came back in stock before then. Total was $865 including shipping.

I was recently considering getting a lower quality lab diamond from BTD but they didn't respond in time with my request for angle measurements and I didn't want to miss out on the LB again. The one I was looking at from BTD was .91 D SI2, so basically same size (LB could be slightly higher or lower than the listed size) slightly whiter (D over the LB estimate G) but more included (SI2 over LB estimate VVS) although BTD did tell me it was eye clean when they inspected it. The BTD one was going to be $773 and free shipping, so I ended up spending $93 more for a better clarity diamond, and I would assume better cut but who knows. I do know I'm very happy with my current LB so I feel safe getting another one, and the BTD would have been a higher risk.

I'm happy, and I think I'm going to be really happy with this upgrade. I got the price I wanted and the size and quality I wanted. The difference between .88 and 1 carat, I will never notice when it's on my finger. But when my new ring is finished I probably will stop coming here for a while to avoid another bout of DSS and start pining after a 1.5ct, lol. Excited to share pics next week when the LB comes in. Happy weekend everyone!

I have been checking this thread regularly to see what you ended up with. I'm so happy that you are going to have the .88 from LB. I think it will be a marked increase in size from your .5. You already know that you like the look/quality of LB, so this is a great choice! Once it arrives and you have it set, please post pictures. Very happy for you!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, glad the 0.88ct came back in stock before your wedding! Can't wait to see the final ring!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I’m so happy for you @frogplus! I can’t wait to see the pics!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed! I can't wait to see your upgrade!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Good news frogplus. I remember I had a D diamond once but ended up trading it in because it was too white, sterile for my taste. It just sounds like you're getting the best of all worlds with the LB diamond. Looking forward to the pics.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Are you still trying to keep it under 1K? August Vintage now has a bunch of ideal cut lab stones. I sorted them by price and there are a few high color close to a carat options, but you'd have to go up to about $2K for them. They would have much better optics than the one you posted the stats for in RockyTalky though!

Here is one of the stones:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Are you still trying to keep it under 1K? August Vintage now has a bunch of ideal cut lab stones. I sorted them by price and there are a few high color close to a carat options, but you'd have to go up to about $2K for them. They would have much better optics than the one you posted the stats for in RockyTalky though!

Here is one of the stones:

Yeah still keeping it under $1k. I didn't buy the one I posted about in RT, was mostly just trying to get an idea if that BTD source was a good option if LB never came back in stock. BTD lab diamonds are mostly average price, but there are a few sprinkled in that are super cheap (cheaper than LB) like that one I posted about, and since I'm far from a diamond connoisseur I thought they might be worth a try for me. At the very least, ordering one knowing I can return it if it totally flounders next to the LB. But anyway LB came back in stock right when I was considering it so that's what I'm doing. I may consider ordering one from BTD down the line if I have another project I want, but not expecting to need another diamond anytime soon.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
LB necklace shipped today, should be here Monday. Sent it to my fiancé's office, hoping there's no issue with delivery, there's a front desk person who I hope will sign for it. Still checking the website periodically in case that 1 carat comes in before my return period is up, still no 1 carat and noticed this one is out of stock again. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did!

Will be back hopefully Monday or Tuesday with pics.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
LB necklace shipped today, should be here Monday. Sent it to my fiancé's office, hoping there's no issue with delivery, there's a front desk person who I hope will sign for it. Still checking the website periodically in case that 1 carat comes in before my return period is up, still no 1 carat and noticed this one is out of stock again. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did!

Will be back hopefully Monday or Tuesday with pics.

I can’t wait to see it @frogplus!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Screenshot_20191213-130322~2.png

Shipped on Wednesday, delivered today! It's at fiancé's office and I think he's working from home today so I'm not sure when I'll have it. Fingers crossed it'll be today and I can post pics tomorrow!

Next step: I have a try at home order from Hayden Cudworth on the way. Want to make sure I like one of their wedding rings before ordering the new engagement ring setting from them. Since I'm getting rose gold, I think it would be best to get both front the same place.

Unfortunately they don't do custom, so if I don't like their wedding rings, I might start looking for a new source for both the engagement ring setting and wedding ring. Possibly something like starsgem or the other popular one, since I can totally customize both rings and still get a great price. And for the wedding ring, the diamonds will be small, probably max .10 each, so I'm not too concerned about the 3Cs for those.

Will update soon. Happy Friday!

Oh btw I changed my name. I just used a random word generator for the first name. Fiancé always says I have doe eyes. *Bats lashes* lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Screenshot_20191213-130322~2.png

Shipped on Wednesday, delivered today! It's at fiancé's office and I think he's working from home today so I'm not sure when I'll have it. Fingers crossed it'll be today and I can post pics tomorrow!

Next step: I have a try at home order from Hayden Cudworth on the way. Want to make sure I like one of their wedding rings before ordering the new engagement ring setting from them. Since I'm getting rose gold, I think it would be best to get both front the same place.

Unfortunately they don't do custom, so if I don't like their wedding rings, I might start looking for a new source for both the engagement ring setting and wedding ring. Possibly something like starsgem or the other popular one, since I can totally customize both rings and still get a great price. And for the wedding ring, the diamonds will be small, probably max .10 each, so I'm not too concerned about the 3Cs for those.

Will update soon. Happy Friday!

Oh btw I changed my name. I just used a random word generator for the first name. Fiancé always says I have doe eyes. *Bats lashes* lol

I think you have great ideas @DoeEyes...I love your new name...That’s cute that your fiancé thinks you have doe eyes...That’s so sweet. .10 stones are not small for a wedding band. They will be very blingy! Please post as soon as you get it! I’m sure you will but would love to see the .5 next to your new diamond. I think it will be a big difference! I’m very excited for you!

M

Marriedbuteloped

Yes, please share pictures.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Just a thought. Perhaps do a bit of research regarding finding a suitable wedding ring for the engagement ring style. A potential problem with a diamond band is that it can eat the prongs on your engagement ring.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Just a thought. Perhaps do a bit of research regarding finding a suitable wedding ring for the engagement ring style. A potential problem with a diamond band is that it can eat the prongs on your engagement ring.

The solitaire paired with 5/7/9/11 stone is the most common combination I've seen. I don't want a curved band or plain band so what other options are there?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
The Hayden Cudworth home try-on order also arrived. The "Ospery" seems like a winner to me. It's a 7 stone u-prong 0.49 ctw so about 7 pt each. Here it is next to a 0.75 solitaire.

Note: These photos are all on my index finger, so in my correct size the band will wrap around a tiny bit more. Great coverage on my index, maybe a little concerned that the smaller ring will wrap around too much but I'll get used to it. The try-on seems to be a size 6, my engagement ring fits at a 4, might get the wedding ring in a 4.5 since it's thicker.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214102304566_COVER.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214102309569_COVER.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214102316590_COVER.jpg

And next to my current 0.5 just to see how it would look with the same setting. I think the complement each other, especially from the side view.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214102609569_COVER.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214102622279_COVER.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214102628208_COVER.jpg

Here's the other wedding ring I ordered to try, the Lisette, next to the 0.75. It's ok but not as blingy as I want, and I don't like how much metal you see from the side. I love that the Ospery is all open on the sides.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214102433312_COVER.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214102438675_COVER.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191214102441872_COVER.jpg

Thoughts? I plan to get both in rose gold.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post the rings next to your new LB diamond to see how they are proportionately? While I love the blingier look of the larger band and you could wear it standalone, I think it might compete with your engagement ring and rub against your prongs especially since it's set so high. Is there an option that is between the 2 bands? Could you look at other vendors that carry both bands and engagement ring bands? When I chatted with James Allen, they said they could reset a diamond from a piece of jewelry to a ring for $100. Just another vendor to consider, they have a 25% off sale!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok so the Lightbox is here and it looks... Blue?

IMG_20191214_101122.jpg IMG_20191214_100934.jpg IMG_20191214_100933.jpg IMG_20191214_100930.jpg IMG_20191214_100805.jpg IMG_20191214_100716.jpg

@DoeEyes It does look blue..Try covering the little blue stone with white paper. Maybe it’s picking up the blue from the little blue diamond. It’s very pretty!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post the rings next to your new LB diamond to see how they are proportionately? While I love the blingier look of the larger band and you could wear it standalone, I think it might compete with your engagement ring and rub against your prongs especially since it's set so high. Is there an option that is between the 2 bands? Could you look at other vendors that carry both bands and engagement ring bands? When I chatted with James Allen, they said they could reset a diamond from a piece of jewelry to a ring for $100. Just another vendor to consider, they have a 25% off sale!

No option from this vendor between the two but I'm not opposed to finding a new vendor altogether.

@DoeEyes It does look blue..Try covering the little blue stone with white paper. Maybe it’s picking up the blue from the little blue diamond. It’s very pretty!

Great idea. I'm actually feeling way better about it now that I hid the blue. And comparing it to the CZ in the try-on rings, it looks exactly the same as that which I think is good. I think my original LB is just very warm making the new one look blue in comparison. So interesting that the two LB stones are so different.

Here's a video of the new LB against my hand and white...

Against just white...

And next to my old LB...

And here's a bunch of pics

New LB
IMG_20191214_160351.jpg

New LB vs CZ
IMG_20191214_160520.jpg

New LB vs old LB
IMG_20191214_160603.jpg

New LB, CZ, old LB
IMG_20191214_160545.jpg

Ospery ring with new LB for size comparison
IMG_20191214_160748.jpg

I'm now leaning towards keeping the LB, so if I do, then the next question is whether to stick with HC for the setting and get the Ospery wedding ring with it, or go elsewhere for both. The setting was going to be about $400 and the Ospery is $776, both 14k rose gold, so I wouldn't want to spend much more than that.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
View attachment 726281
This is the CZ with a 0.75 stone so this would be comparable to the height of the setting I would get. Definitely taller than the wedding band, not sure if this would pose an issue in terms of the wedding ring diamonds wearing away the prongs. I'm not sure what the solution is though, this is the look I like. Don't really want a spacer but I guess I would consider a very thin plain band.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
What about something like this? Could ask if they could do a 6 prong if that's your preference? The white gold prongs and thinner band would compliment your stone and ring size well! You may want to confirm vendors are the same though...

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
What about something like this? Could ask if they could do a 6 prong if that's your preference? The white gold prongs and thinner band would compliment your stone and ring size well! You may want to confirm vendors are the same though...

Thanks for finding these! For the engagement ring, I used the Tiffany 6 prong as inspiration for my ring, the way the prongs aren't just straight, they have a little separation at the bottom. I've researched all the dupes of this style and they are closer to $700+ for the setting (in white gold a year ago, so would be higher now with higher gold prices plus rose gold has more yellow gold than white). That's why I was so excited to find the Hayden Cudworth setting at a much lower price, it was like $275 for white gold when I bought it last year. Big price difference.

Screenshot_20191214-182120.jpg Screenshot_20191214-182113.jpg

Honestly I'm not totally seeing the issue with the Hayden Cudworth wedding ring though. Is it that the stones are too high set? Too big?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Makes sense! The Tiffany 6 prong style is so elegant. If you love the Osprey, you should totally get it! I do think the stones are set high and since the prongs of the engagement ring are angled outwards, it may rub (and eat into) the prongs more... Have you considered the HC Ellinor band? I think it would look lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results