shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade from .5 to 1 carat

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
The hole is a lot smaller than I was expecting, I can't even really see it with the naked eye, under the loupe it does look bigger.

The necklace is a terrible design, does not lay flat. Oh and the chain was tangled again, that's two for two. The first necklace I ordered came tangled as well.

The diamond itself looks just as beautiful as the half carat. I found the logo much easier this time around but still can only see it with the 60x loupe, not the 30, it's a really tiny inscription.

Here are some pics, laying "flat" compared to my half carat LB solitaire, and under a 30x loupe trying to capture the size of the hole.

IMG_20190410_091233.jpg IMG_20190410_163633.jpg IMG_20190410_163646.jpg IMG_20190410_163904.jpg IMG_20190410_164021.jpg IMG_20190410_164027.jpg

I stopped at the jeweler on my way home. He said he can easily cover it with a prong and it won't see it (you can barely see it as is) but that it will likely collect dirt so I'll have to keep it clean, and that it's definitely possible it'll be weaker than an intact diamond and more likely to break if I slam it into something.

I'm not keeping it, I'm going to return it and see if LB releases one carats without a hole. I'm also thinking I may just keep what I have.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Frogplus,
Do you like the extra size? Strangely in the picture it doesn't look that much bigger.
Also I don't know if this has already been discussed but would you prefer your ring with a slightly more tapered band? I think your .5 looks great as is but I think it is surprising how good even a .3 diamond can look in a tapered band.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@frogplus I think the ring you have looks really great on your hand, and you did an awesome job with getting exactly what you were envisioning. It has great presence on your hand and I really like the proportions - I would have guessed it was bigger than half a carat.

As someone who has lost so much freaking money and time on upgrades and changing my mind on upgrades (and REALLY irritated my husband along the way), maybe it would help if you just took a step back from all of this for a little while and tried to enjoy the ring you have?

I know it's easier said than done, but it seems like it might be helpful to just stop thinking and planning about future options and really try to see if you are and can be happy with the ring you have. If not that is totally fine, but you gotta at least give this ring a fair chance!

And also, it's a lot of pressure to try and make sure the ring you are getting now is the one you will have forever. If you do end up getting a wedding band that matches this ring and later decide to upgrade, you can always switch that band to your right hand if you think it doesn't work with the new ring, or wear it on days when you don't want to wear your e-ring, etc. I just hate for you to rob yourself of the joy you should be getting from your e-ring now over uncertainty about the future. Just my two cents :)

Last edited:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Frogplus,
Do you like the extra size? Strangely in the picture it doesn't look that much bigger.
Also I don't know if this has already been discussed but would you prefer your ring with a slightly more tapered band? I think your .5 looks great as is but I think it is surprising how good even a .3 diamond can look in a tapered band.
I think part of the reason it didn't look THAT much bigger is because of the prongs on my ring? But yes a tapered band was always something I wanted and was talked out of it by I don't even know who at this point. Even the jeweler who set it said he would taper it and I don't think he did at all. I think if I have it tapered now, it would have to be a new shank so that the shoulders could be higher in order to accommodate a thinner band from above.

@frogplus I think the ring you have looks really great on your hand, and you did an awesome job with getting exactly what you were envisioning. It has great presence on your hand and I really like the proportions - I would have guessed it was bigger than half a carat.

As someone who has lost so much freaking money and time on upgrades and changing my mind on upgrades (and REALLY irritated my husband along the way), maybe it would help if you just took a step back from all of this for a little while and tried to enjoy the ring you have?

I know it's easier said than done, but it seems like it might be helpful to just stop thinking and planning about future options and really try to see if you are and can be happy with the ring you have. If not that is totally fine, but you gotta at least give this ring a fair chance!

And also, it's a lot of pressure to try and make sure the ring you are getting now is the one you will have forever. If you do end up getting a wedding band that matches this ring and later decide to upgrade, you can always switch that band to your right hand if you think it doesn't work with the new ring, or wear it on days when you don't want to wear your e-ring, etc. I just hate for you to rob yourself of the joy you should be getting from your e-ring now over uncertainty about the future. Just my two cents :)

Thank you! I have been trying to love the ring I have, but I also don't want to settle. That's been my constant struggle, figuring out if I'm settling if I keep it. I only ordered this lightbox diamond because of how hard it is to get them, and I didn't want to lose out on the opportunity. I probably will keep checking the website for the one without a hole, but I'll try not to obsess. I also went to a store and tried on wedding bands a few weeks ago hoping it would make me like my ring more to see it with a blingy band, but I had a shity experience with a rude saleswoman and didn't want to go to any more stores after that. Honestly I hate this industry. Almost ready to just order a 1.5ct moissanite engagement and matching wedding band on Etsy.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
:( Ugh that sucks - really sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hate shopping in jewelry stores and I dislike most salespeople in general, ha. I'm sure you know tons more than that salesperson and all they accomplished was losing a sale, which is what they deserve. And I think it's completely crappy for anyone to be putting down lab diamonds - if you are able to get the exact look you want, then what is wrong with getting it for a cheaper price?

Anyway - have you looked at August Vintage for moissanite? I haven't seen any in person, but I think I've read that Jon cuts them to make them look as diamond-like as possible (and great light performance). I think it would definitely be worth getting one to compare to your current stone and seeing how you feel about it.

Maybe something like this? I think the 20% promo code is still valid.

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ws-round-brilliant-moissanite_avham154-022619

M

Marriedbuteloped

Frogplus, I think the 1 ct looks great. Now you have to decide if you want to keep it or not....

If you make this into a ring you could always change it back into a necklace later on. But it seems that people here don't like the way the pendant sits on the skin due to the missing flat back. But maybe a creative jeweler could build a setting that incorporates the hole and lies flat. The reason I say this is that then you have a piece of jewelry with a story. All my pieces have some type of sentimental or funny history: I have the most boring, 200$ wedding ring from the mall but the first Christmas my husband and I spent together before we were married I told him that I would love a diamond solitaire stud for a third ear piercing I had. I did not think I'd get it and I did not. But after all the gift giving was over he told me that there was an extra little box hidden in the Christmas tree. I was so happy he got me the diamond and knew we were on a good path. :) I still don't know how he found a single earring, since that was before the internet and he was stationed in Germany. I wore the stud for a long time but then as I got older I did not want to wear an extra piercing anymore and had the diamond set into my wedding ring. It now looked all of a sudden like a Tiffany Etoile band. :) So now the band is special and will be passed onto my daughter(s).

So you'd never know how you feel about your jewelry in a few years. Just do what you think is best now.

Angela

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you guys! I was just being dramatic, I don't think I would actually be happy with moissanite. I read somewhere that if you're looking at moissanite because you want a diamond at less cost, you'll be unhappy. You have to love moissanite for what it is. I'm going to keep my half carat for now and hope that LB releases the one carat without a hole soon. I have a year before my wedding so if they don't release them by then, maybe I'll just spring for a natural one carat from WF like others have suggested. Might also check out estate diamonds... The .4 carat I found for my mom was only $250 setting fee included, and it sparkles like crazy and looks very white despite the many inclusions you can see up close.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I think buying preloved is a great idea! Maybe post a WTB in the preloved section to see if anyone has a well cut one carat they are thinking about selling.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think buying preloved is a great idea! Maybe post a WTB in the preloved section to see if anyone has a well cut one carat they are thinking about selling.
Good idea, I will!

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
I just ordered the 2 stone necklace from LB with the 7/8 carat white round & the 1/6 carat blue round in a silver pendant. I’ve been on the fence for a while, wanting a lab diamond for a ring. I also want to set the larger stone in a 6 prong solitaire. Not sure what to do with the spare little blue one. I’ll try to take decent pictures, & determine whether or not I’ll keep this for a ring.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I just ordered the 2 stone necklace from LB with the 7/8 carat white round & the 1/6 carat blue round in a silver pendant. I’ve been on the fence for a while, wanting a lab diamond for a ring. I also want to set the larger stone in a 6 prong solitaire. Not sure what to do with the spare little blue one. I’ll try to take decent pictures, & determine whether or not I’ll keep this for a ring.

I thought about buying that too when I saw it was back in stock. But I think I'll be annoyed if I get that one and then they do release the full one carat for the same price so I decided to wait. Please post pics when you get it and especially if you turn it into a ring!

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
I thought about buying that too when I saw it was back in stock. But I think I'll be annoyed if I get that one and then they do release the full one carat for the same price so I decided to wait. Please post pics when you get it and especially if you turn it into a ring!

LB is doing everything it can to control supply of 1 carat stones. When I saw that they drilled a hole into them, I thought, really? They have to realize that people are buying these & resetting them. I’ve currently got a C&C H&A moissanite, 6.5 mm in my ER. My husband bought me the setting, I bought the stone for it, & while I love the moissanite, I have been watching and waiting for lab diamond prices to come down to earth. I have other moissy jewelry, which I love, & plan on buying more. But for my ER, I want a carbon diamond.

Since my current stone is a 6.5 mm, and the 7/8 carat should be about 6.2mm, I don’t anticipate that my jeweler will have trouble swapping out the stones.

sparklynurse

Rough_Rock

I think you could try the 7/8 ct pendant, if you want - it would be very very difficult to see a size difference between 6.5mm (1 ct) and 6.2mm (7/8 ct)

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think you could try the 7/8 ct pendant, if you want - it would be very very difficult to see a size difference between 6.5mm (1 ct) and 6.2mm (7/8 ct)

I was comparing them on diamdb and thought I could tell one was bigger. You're probably right but I think I'll be disappointed if they do release the one carat within the year and I went with the 7/8. If they don't, hopefully the 7/8 will still be available later this year.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WTH?! I am really coming to HATE DeBeers.... I've signed up multiple times for email alerts for when they have the 7/8 pendant in stock, and got no notification at all that they had them today. Arrggghh...

Have other folks been getting the notifications, or does one just have to be constantly checking the website?

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
WTH?! I am really coming to HATE DeBeers.... I've signed up multiple times for email alerts for when they have the 7/8 pendant in stock, and got no notification at all that they had them today. Arrggghh...

Have other folks been getting the notifications, or does one just have to be constantly checking the website?

I signed up for notifications too, never got one. I just happened to check the website & saw they were in stock. They still were as of a couple hours ago. I don’t get anything from LB.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock

I'm signed up for newsletter and notifications for specific items and I've never gotten an email. I check the website throughout the day. Sometimes I forget but it's just one of the things I check along with Facebook at this point. I just have a page that I keep open on my phone, the white jewelry page sorted by most expensive first. If a 1 carat comes out it'll be at the top. That's how I saw the pierced necklace.

Don't be too upset though, that 7/8 has been going in and out of stock for days. Start checking a few times a day, you'll catch it.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I saw on their IG where others were having issues too with notifications. They told them to contact customer service to make sure their email address was in the system. I wonder if it’s a glitch since they’re new? Working the bugs out?

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
I saw on their IG where others were having issues too with notifications. They told them to contact customer service to make sure their email address was in the system. I wonder if it’s a glitch since they’re new? Working the bugs out?

I don’t think so, my guess is that they don’t have those notifications turned on in their system. I have my confirmation email from when I registered, so I know that they’re definitely tracking. Plus the cookies. It’s intentional marketing to drive traffic.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think so, my guess is that they don’t have those notifications turned on in their system. I have my confirmation email from when I registered, so I know that they’re definitely tracking. Plus the cookies. It’s intentional marketing to drive traffic.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I suspected the same thing. I seriously loathe DeBeers. Lol

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I think part of the reason it didn't look THAT much bigger is because of the prongs on my ring? But yes a tapered band was always something I wanted and was talked out of it by I don't even know who at this point. Even the jeweler who set it said he would taper it and I don't think he did at all. I think if I have it tapered now, it would have to be a new shank so that the shoulders could be higher in order to accommodate a thinner band from above.

Thank you! I have been trying to love the ring I have, but I also don't want to settle. That's been my constant struggle, figuring out if I'm settling if I keep it. I only ordered this lightbox diamond because of how hard it is to get them, and I didn't want to lose out on the opportunity. I probably will keep checking the website for the one without a hole, but I'll try not to obsess. I also went to a store and tried on wedding bands a few weeks ago hoping it would make me like my ring more to see it with a blingy band, but I had a shity experience with a rude saleswoman and didn't want to go to any more stores after that. Honestly I hate this industry. Almost ready to just order a 1.5ct moissanite engagement and matching wedding band on Etsy.

If I remember correctly, you were going to pursue the tapered band, but then your fiancé ordered the setting that you were looking at (the one you have now). I thought the jeweller said he was going to taper it for you too.

Honestly, moissanite is gorgeous. I ordered a necklace while waiting for my diamond and I’m super impressed.

I hope all works out for you soon.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the other thread they were talking about how they are building a facility that will be done in a year, and production of 500,000 carats a year. So if you are willing to wait a year or more, the lab diamond selection will be more and more available.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
3073C016-41EC-4482-A3D2-FF929201DD47.jpeg 269DB3DD-F834-4784-B4E6-5FAE391C5EFF.jpeg 09DE32E8-04A0-4DCC-8E9B-A85165FC5AE4.jpeg
I picked up my lab diamond pendant today. It’s really pretty. The thing is, I also picked up my ER from the jeweler, after having it sized & cleaned. The ring has a 6.5. mm H&A near colorless C&C moissanite set. The necklace is the Lightbox lab diamond, 7/8 carat white, with 1/6 carat blue. It’s very sunny outside today, I took these in my car. To my eyeballs, I cannot see much difference, if any. What do you think?

Attachments

• 89031DA4-D582-4D6C-A43D-D51D17F1380F.jpeg
    89031DA4-D582-4D6C-A43D-D51D17F1380F.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 1982FAE3-78D5-487E-9387-526A844623CA.jpeg
    1982FAE3-78D5-487E-9387-526A844623CA.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 38

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
3073C016-41EC-4482-A3D2-FF929201DD47.jpeg 269DB3DD-F834-4784-B4E6-5FAE391C5EFF.jpeg 09DE32E8-04A0-4DCC-8E9B-A85165FC5AE4.jpeg
I picked up my lab diamond pendant today. It’s really pretty. The thing is, I also picked up my ER from the jeweler, after having it sized & cleaned. The ring has a 6.5. mm H&A near colorless C&C moissanite set. The necklace is the Lightbox lab diamond, 7/8 carat white, with 1/6 carat blue. It’s very sunny outside today, I took these in my car. To my eyeballs, I cannot see much difference, if any. What do you think?

First - I think both are gorgeous!!! Congrats!!! I think they look as expected ... the moissanite is showing more colour because it has more light refraction, and the diamond is also gorgeous with less colour but still colour in the classic diamond way.

sparklynurse

Rough_Rock

I’m a moissy lover but I have to say that I don’t love the performance of the new 4H H&A cut moissanite. Light seems to move more slowly through the stone and I think that’s what gives some of them that “frozen spit” look in certain lighting conditions. A well cut diamond will have the most wonderful scintillation and, in this regard, diamonds most definitely outperform 4H H&A moissanite.

All of this to say that the pictures look fantastic – the moissanites are definitely on par with the diamond. They don’t look hazy at all. But these are just pictures. The real issue is how well do these moissanites handle light in comparison to the diamond. This is something that cannot be seen in a picture. And, truly, you may not notice this at all or it may be something that is minor and not

Recently, I decided to purchase a lab diamond from BE. I chose a 1.13ct G VS1 super ideal cut diamond graded by GCAL – this thing is incredible! For those of you that think diamonds don’t have rainbow sparkles like moissanite does – a well cut diamond sure does! I have a FB RB cut moissanite and it is the closest in performance to diamonds. It is acutally very difficult to tell the difference unless you really stop and look at the moissy – then you notice a difference in cut.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m a moissy lover but I have to say that I don’t love the performance of the new 4H H&A cut moissanite. Light seems to move more slowly through the stone and I think that’s what gives some of them that “frozen spit” look in certain lighting conditions. A well cut diamond will have the most wonderful scintillation and, in this regard, diamonds most definitely outperform 4H H&A moissanite.

All of this to say that the pictures look fantastic – the moissanites are definitely on par with the diamond. They don’t look hazy at all. But these are just pictures. The real issue is how well do these moissanites handle light in comparison to the diamond. This is something that cannot be seen in a picture. And, truly, you may not notice this at all or it may be something that is minor and not

Recently, I decided to purchase a lab diamond from BE. I chose a 1.13ct G VS1 super ideal cut diamond graded by GCAL – this thing is incredible! For those of you that think diamonds don’t have rainbow sparkles like moissanite does – a well cut diamond sure does! I have a FB RB cut moissanite and it is the closest in performance to diamonds. It is acutally very difficult to tell the difference unless you really stop and look at the moissy – then you notice a difference in cut.

Interesting! Have you observed the same "slowing" of light movement through the 4H round brilliant cuts, or just the H&A cuts? In other words, do you think this is an issue of the H&A cut not really suiting the material, or a difference between the older 6H polytype vs. the newer 4H? Or perhaps some of both?

sparklynurse

Rough_Rock
Interesting! Have you observed the same "slowing" of light movement through the 4H round brilliant cuts, or just the H&A cuts? In other words, do you think this is an issue of the H&A cut not really suiting the material, or a difference between the older 6H polytype vs. the newer 4H? Or perhaps some of both?

Initially I thought that it was a function of the cut - it is definitely true that H&A is not a good cut for either 6H or 4H moissanite. This cut, while beautiful for diamonds, dampens the performance of moissanite. More recently I had the chance to compare a near colourless 4H RB cut with an Amora enhanced moissanite (this is not the Amora Gem moissanite but rather more like a FB moissy) and the Amora moissy looked and performed better. It's hard to explain (and certainly could be just these two stones) but the 4H moissy looked hazy and glassy with less sparkle in pretty much all lights except spotlighting. Both the owner of the 4H moissy and I agreed that the old 6H Amora moissy exhibited superior performance despite its obvious body colour as compared to the 4H moissy. At this point I think that there is a difference in light handling between 4H and 6H moissanite and that the H&A cut is definitely not good for moissanite in general.

I've owned a lot of moissanite over the years (both varieties :geek2: and both cuts) as has my friend. Based on our observations, we are in agreement that the old 6H RB cut moissy most closely resembles the performance of a well cut diamond.

ETA - Scintillation in particular is lacking in the H&A cut moissies. I've seen a few posts on other sites about 4H H&A cut moissies looking like "frozen spit" and I think it's this lack of lively performance that gives that effect.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@frogplus If you decide to get moissanite please don’t get one from Etsy. August Vintage moissanite has the best cut and color IMHO. You can pick your size and the color you want..colorless. I have both diamonds and moissanite...It’s beautiful..

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to update for anyone that's watching my saga lol... Still waiting for Lightbox to release the one carat white round, without a hole. They just released a one carat white cushion so I have a little hope I might fish my wish before the wedding in May. If not, I'll probably get the 7/8 carat that's available, it'll be close to one carat and still feel like a big upgrade for me. Planning to get my same setting remade by Hayden Cudworth again just with a larger head, but this week I realized I might want rose gold instead of white. I saw some that I loved so I ordered a cheap CZ one on Amazon, supposedly 1 carat equivalent but I haven't measured it so it might be slightly off. I'm pretty sure I love it. It has great presence on my finger and I think the rose gold color compliments my skin tone well. It almost blends in and lets the rock be the star of the show.

Here's the rings I saw that inspired me...
Screenshot_20191024-203906.png Screenshot_20191024-220341.png Screenshot_20191024-214841.png

And here's my cheapy ring on my finger
IMG_20191025_112031.jpg IMG_20191025_112908.jpg IMG_20191025_094203.jpg

What do you think? Can I be a rose gold girl??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191024-220341.png
    Screenshot_20191024-220341.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results