shape
carat
color
clarity

upgrade finally getting closer-setting help for hopefully the last time

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 2:19:04 PM
Author: aljdewey
I'm sure you've already said why and I've missed it, but I'll ask anyway......why can't you get the Daniel K you want?

Is it no longer available, or can you just not get it *now*?

It's a combination of several reasons. 1) stone shape, I love the setting with a cushion and not so sure I'd love a cushion forever. I had a round and for the amount of money we'd be spending I could not afford to change my mind. 2)price. It's very, very expensive even with a smaller stone. There are just too many other priorities in my life to spend that much on an e-ring. now if hubby wins the lotto it will be back on the table.
9.gif
3) I would have to wait quite a bit longer in order to get it. We've already been saving up for over a year and I'm just tired of waiting. With prices going up the way they are I'm already going to be spending a few thousand more than if I'd purchased last year so I'd rather proceed and find something I could really be happy with that is beautiful yet practical and will fit well with my lifestyle. I've also thought about going custom with a DK inspired piece but it's so dainty and delicate I just don't think I'd be happy with *something similiar*.

Carlotta: DK only sells the settings with the stone. so i'd have to wait on the whole package. no way around that rule
7.gif

ETA: also wanted to mention that hubby is not a cushion fan. he'd let me get whatever I want but much prefers the look of a round. i honestly want to pick something that we both really like
1.gif

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
LOL, I read your post and then your Signature.......I just want you to be happy with it and not to rush or anything.....you know more about settings than just about anyone here, so I''m sure you have lots of great options..and Bill P. sounds great - and a wealth of knowledge, also!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of your choices are beautiful. I thought I''d add my two cents, though I''m sure my opinions will be similar to others''. I think a tiger''s Leon or a MB one-sided band with pave on the prongs would look the most lovely. They''re stunning rings. I''m not a fan of the Ritani bands for the same reason Dem said: I prefer less of that channel set look. Also ditto on what the others said regarding the Ritani solitaire. If you''re a little tired of a solitaire now, it''s probably not a good idea to get another one because you might be bored quickly. You can''t go wrong with whatever choice you make, though!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
*quietly, insistantly*

pokey ... pokey ... pokey ... pokey

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve got ya covered in the picture dept, mrs salvo!
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
MrsS I know what a long road this has been for you and how carefully you''ve considered this decision! Out of all your choices my top 3 would be a modified Tiger''s Leon, or the 3 stone Ritani, or the Michael B. They are all different enough that you wouldn''t just be getting ''another solitaire'' and just gorgeous. They are all somewhat similar, but have very different design elements. I love the profile of the ''basket'' of the Leon - so drop dead gorgous, and I think the diamond shank is key. I also love the 3 stone Ritani if you want a really different look from a solitaire, and I like the band on those Ritanis SO MUCH! They don''t look channel set to me in pictures though of course they are. I just love them. I also like the diamond encrusted Michael B but definitely only with the diamonds on the prongs.

If I then had to narrow it to 2 I would go with either the modified Tiger''s Leon, or the 3 stone Ritani. But it would still be hard to narrow it to 1.
2.gif

Grace

Rough_Rock
Choices, Choices..... Its so hard to not go around and around and second guess yourself. I wish you luck with your choices, and peace with your final decision!! I vote for something like Kayla/Butterfly''s ring, but then again I would kill for that ring
11.gif
Welllllll....maybe not kill, but I''m definitely suffering from ring lust
30.gif
30.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm....your original set was nice, and your second set was also nice. I love solitaires for their classic look, but I''ve found that three stone rings tend to compliment center stones more. That''s how it looks to my eye anyway. Rings that usually catch my eye the quickest would be the three stone rings, next in line would be something along the Michael B.

I would pass on the Ritani solitaire, just because you''ve had a solitaire for so many years. The Ritani solitaire is really pretty, but keep in mind that most times, you will be looking at your ring from the top view, not the side, so there may not be too much of a difference visually between your original and new.

JMHO.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Mrssalvo,

Which way are you leaning?

I think the 3 stone ring looks pretty, but might be better for a future setting change
2.gif

Kayla''s ritani set is gorgeous, and that would probably get my vote. I think she mentioned in another thread that she is thinking about changing the setting though, or something about getting the e-ring shank a little thicker so it looks like a separate ring?

You know I love love love the MB 3 sided pave, and I wish I had gotten a MB one instead of going custom. You also know about the dramas I''ve had with my custom 3 sided pave. Although I suppose if stones are coming out of the pave ring, you can get it fixed easily because u are in the US, and because MB has a warranty for that right? It''ll be hard if it''s from a custom jeweller who doesn''t stand by his work
29.gif
and refuses to fix it, in which case you will be spending money getting each stone put back each time something pops out. And believe me, if it''s poorly made, maintenance is going to be an issue.

The Leon ring looks great - what is the size of the center stone on that ring in the pic?

I don''t think the ritani solitaire will be enough of a change for you, given that you''ve had one for 5 years.

Kayla''s Ritani rings will be my choice, given that you won''t have to make any changes to it, and will have them on your hot little size 3 (is it 3 or 3.5??) finger a lot sooner
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
carlotta: thanks for the kind words. not do worry, I definitely won't settle..

Kim- thanks, i really do like things about all of them, so it's probabably going to come down to seeing them all again in person and going from there..

deco- you're too funny. I just dont dig the split shank with a round, especially on my hands..

mara: when is your friend getting engaged..tell them to hurry up, i NEED those pics
9.gif
2.gif

FG: thanks, you've been very helpful as usual and having to see many of these again
2.gif

grace: i know where you are coming from b/c that is exactly how I felt about Kayla's rings when she first got them. i was just a lurker back then and her's were the first one's of a Pricescoper I drooled over.

Cinderella: I hear ya on the solitaire and have probably ruled it out. I just don't want another one right now. that's why I love kayla's set, still a solitaire but the pave shank and basket give it something special.

Jade: Michael b does have a warrently on his settings and from what I've heard and read he doesn't have a lot of problems with pave randomly falling out. another reason why custom can be such a PITA and why I don't know if I want to deal with it on top of being long distance with whomever I worked with. I think the center in the Leon is a 3 carat cushion, so pretty dang huge. I guess i'm leaning towards kayla's rings because it's different but not so different I might be unhappy, plus wouldn't be spending an arm and a leg on the setting so if I decided to change again somewhere down the road I wouldn't feel so guilty
12.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrs s have you seen the pave prongs from MB in person and tried it on?

both me and my friend (who is getting the ritani) tried them on at joe E and we both thought they were not that fab. so just wondering if you have seen them in person. it looks kind of like an odd additive to the ring, like it wasn''t meant to be that way. hehee.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 9:22:39 PM
Author: Mara
mrs s have you seen the pave prongs from MB in person and tried it on?

both me and my friend (who is getting the ritani) tried them on at joe E and we both thought they were not that fab. so just wondering if you have seen them in person. it looks kind of like an odd additive to the ring, like it wasn't meant to be that way. hehee.

yes, but it was 6 months ago, I didn't take any pics and my memory is fuzzy. I loved the eternity band that I had recently had but I agree, there is something about the head I don't just love. maybe it's the flow? where the ritani seems more flowing and dainty? and I love the basket setting on the ritani. i even asked if MB would modify the head and change it to a basket and they said no so i'd have to love it as is or pass on the setting. somehow i think the pave prongs might look better with a super huge stone so they're not so blocky looking, if that makes sense.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 9:11:52 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Jade: I guess i''m leaning towards kayla''s rings because it''s different but not so different I might be unhappy, plus wouldn''t be spending an arm and a leg on the setting so if I decided to change again somewhere down the road I wouldn''t feel so guilty
12.gif

It sounds like the Ritani would be best, and it is an absolutely gorgeous set! You get the look you like, without having to go custom
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Jade. Butterfly''s set is so lovely, and you yourself said you''ve loved it for a while.

I''ve already said this here... but Micheal B''s heads are his greatest weakness. Even now I would totally have the Lace on my list of possibles if it wasn''t for the head. It''s flat out ugly in comparision to the Ritani heads.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi MrsS-

WOW this is a tough choice, but I am happy for you that you are getting closer-how exciting!.....My feelings on the subject are that I also love the solitaire look, but I could see your need for change, and I think if you go with another solitaire you might regret it. That being said, I love the LM the best for you, hopefully they can modify the head enough for the w-band to sit flush. I think it is just so beautiful, without being overdone. I think the MB is very pretty, but just too much. And the Ritani's-they are nice too, but I am also a fan of non-channel set...so my vote is for the modified LM-GORGEOUS! Although I am sure whatever you choose will be just gorgeous anyway....
emwink.gif

Good luck and can't wait to hear the final decision!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
HI, I wish I had to make a decision like this.

Given the choices that you posted, I would either get the Ritani set that I have or the MB pave ring. The Ritani three stone would be my next choice and then the solitaire look.

And just to clarify, the Ritani set I have are micropave set, not channel set. I included a picture to show you how the diamonds are set. It''s kind of hard, but you can see that each diamond has prongs.
2.gif

IMG_1127 1.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Butterfly, I love love love your ring. It still has my vote!
9.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
here is another picture.
2.gif

IMG_1099 1.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 10:13:08 AM
Author: KristyDarling
9.gif

ha, ha, I actually want to change the setting, but you guys are making me change my mind!!!!LOLOL
2.gif
32.gif

Sorry, don''t want to hijack this thread!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great pics Kayla!!! I adore your ring. mrssalvo, that gets my vote, yummo!!!!!
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2006 10:17:32 AM
Author: butterfly 17

9.gif

ha, ha, I actually want to change the setting, but you guys are making me change my mind!!!!LOLOL
2.gif
32.gif

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread!
Are you serious? I think we are all crazy because we see too many pretty rings on here and always wonder if we made the right decision.

Do you have a close up of the e-ring with wedding bands? I'd love to see them!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kayla are you crazy - I love your setting! I think MrsS can''t go wrong with a Ritani (either 3 stone or setting like yours) or the Leon she posted. I guess we''re all susceptible to setting ''boredom''!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
butterfly, thanks for clarifying on the micropave thing. I was going to when I had a chance this afternoon. The Ritani rings are pave and look the same as michael b, leon, or anyone else that does a one sided ring that way. there are very subtle difference in pave styles like the fishtail/stepdown pave, or leon does something called mushroom pave. Channel set stones have tiny gaps between the stones.

feel free to hijack away. I take your views and feeling very seriously because you currently own the set and since you''re thinking about changing it, I like knowing why
2.gif

People used to think I was crazy for wanting to change my solitaire/eternity combo. I still think it''s classic and beautiful, I just got bored so I understand completely if that is how you are feeling about your rings. just as long as it''s boredom and not ring problems
41.gif

thanks to the rest of you who replyed thus far. I''m strongly leaning towards the Ritani set like kayla''s. I''m going to visit a dealer this weekend to see it again in person and then I''ll be ready to make the final decision
32.gif

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
YAY, mrssalvo, finally the upgrade, so happy for you.

All the options are gorgeous, but I would have to stay with a solitare in this case...Love the LEON!

Take you time and make sure you love it! We are all going to love it no matter the choice you make, they are all lovely.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely my one strong vote goes to Kayla/butterfly set with the two matching eternity bands. It preserves some of the same feel the Daniel K had on your dainty hand...dainty with a good dose of KAPOW! Blammo! With that gorgeous juxtaposition of dainty sparkly bands and huge rock.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah i thought the ritani was not channel set but rather was micropave, it looks that way when you have it on.

also i would vote for not getting all 3 bands because to me that makes the center stone look smaller. that is probably why i would never have a 3rd band on my set. i would get the ritani e-ring and w-ring and call it a day..hehee.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 3:47:22 PM
Author: Mara

also i would vote for not getting all 3 bands because to me that makes the center stone look smaller. that is probably why i would never have a 3rd band on my set. i would get the ritani e-ring and w-ring and call it a day..hehee.

I am thinking to start with just the two. If i really feel the need for the 3rd i can always order it sometime down the road but I can see how it would make the center look smaller and that''s not the look i''m going for
3.gif
. i think I remember kayla saying she liked the look of just the two bands best.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Mara, is absolutely right, when I wear the e-ring with the wedding band, it looks like the diamond is bigger and when I wear the e-r0ing with 2 bands, I feel like the extra bling makes you see less of the center stone and therefore makes it look smaller.
I definitely prefer the two as opposed to three bands together, but I am happy that I did get all three as I can mix and match and sometimes I wear just the two wedding bands on either side of another diamond ring for a stacked effect.

It''s funny but my mom wears a two carat and it looks huge on her finger and her finger is bigger than mine. THen, I was at the mall getting my ears pierced, and the salesperson had on a diamond that I could have sworn was 3 carats and I told her I was thinking of upgrading and was curious what size stone she had and she told me 2.10 and I was shocked.
I told her no way and we compared rings and hers was actually smaller than mine, but the setting made such a huge difference in my opinion.

Both my mom and her had simple solitaires and the diamonds are set medium, not low. NO extra diamonds on the shank, etc.
I also have the Royal Crown with a 1.5 ct. stone and it looks big, not small at all, so, the setting definitely has something to do with it.

I love the Ritani set that I have, but I don''t like how they all sort of blend together into one ring, which is why I prefer the two rings together.

Then, Lynn got her reset and I thought, well, lets see, I love my setting but if I could have the perfect setting, what would I do differently.

I would get the pave diamonds bigger and make the shank slightly bigger so you can differentiate that the e-ring is a different ring, I would have the diamond set slightly higher.

If you check out pearlman''s website they have a Michael B lace set for sell that was owned previously and you can see exactly where the e-ring is and differentiate the e-ring from the two bands. of course, the style of the e-ring is completely different from the bands, but you get the idea.

By the way, that''s a sweet deal! 1.5 AGS0 diamond in the MB lace setting with two thin MB pave bands for $14K. And it''s in my size!

Anyway, you guys have convinced me, Okay, no reset for now, I fell back in love with my setting.. I will just wear it with one band.

Tune in for my next week''s drama!!LOLOL!
20.gif
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 11:13:04 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 6/28/2006 10:17:32 AM

9.gif

2.gif
32.gif

Sorry, don''t want to hijack this thread!

Are you serious? I think we are all crazy because we see too many pretty rings on here and always wonder if we made the right decision.

Do you have a close up of the e-ring with wedding bands? I''d love to see them!

DS, you can see a bunch of pics of kalya''s rings
here

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 5:47:04 PM

If you check out pearlman''s website they have a Michael B lace set for sell that was owned previously and you can see exactly where the e-ring is and differentiate the e-ring from the two bands. of course, the style of the e-ring is completely different from the bands, but you get the idea.

By the way, that''s a sweet deal! 1.5 AGS0 diamond in the MB lace setting with two thin MB pave bands for $14K. And it''s in my size!

that''s funny you mentioned that butterfly. I''m actually puchasing the diamond in that setting, so the mounting will be for sale
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results