shape
carat
color
clarity

upgrade finally getting closer-setting help for hopefully the last time

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok gals & guys here's the latest regarding my upgrade saga. I had been planning on holding out and saving for a few more months to be able to pull off the Daniel K ring I have forever wanted. With prices on the rise and my lack of patience and insecurity about changing center stone shapes I have decided to proceed with my upgrade in hopes of having it by my anniversary in Sept. many of you know how hard of a time I'm having deciding on a setting. My new stone will be approx. a 1.5 round. For the newbie's here is a brief overview. this is a picture of my original wedding set.
oldset2gether.jpg

I then purchased and eternity band and wore the set like this for a while.

newsetwf1005.jpg

Having had a solitaire for so long, part of me would like to consider a 3-stone like this Ritani. I actually tried it on and it looks way better in person than in the pic.

15QQ13.jpg

then there is Kayla/butterfly's rings which have always been a favorite.

127_2761%20(2).JPG

and one of my first love's, the MB

26P13.jpg

something like tiger's leon, altough I'd like a wedding band to fit flush..

LM-side.JPG

and last but not least, the Ritani solitaire that Mara found. I really like but am unsure I really want another solitaire having had one for 5 years already. this is a bad pic too.

ritani%20royal%20crown%20setting%20side.jpg

so, any opinions, suggestions, recommendations are more than welcome. pros and cons that you can think of too.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I''m excited for you mrssalvo that you are proceeding with your upgrade! Those are all nice choices, but my vote is for the three stone ring. It is such a lovely fluid design and as someone who has gone from a solitaire to a three stone ring herself I can tell you that I love the look. It really is a nice change and it gives you a lot more bling than a solitaire.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I loooove
30.gif
the MB ring. I am not so crazy about 3 stones myself but having a diamond encrusted shank will add tons of sparkle!

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I think the Ritani 3 stone is just yummy.
18.gif
I vote for that one.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs. S., I think I like the three stone of the ones that you posted. What size sides would you do? And weren''t you considering a split shank Daniel K too?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, just too many good options to choose from. To be honest, your original wedding set with plain platinum band is my favorite. Imagine a 1.5 there and my heart skips a beat! (and if you stuck with your original set you'd have more moolah to go toward an even bigger stone, hehe) The thinness and elegance of those 2 plain bands together is perfect and looks so *right* on your hand. I also really, really like Kayla's set....is that a solitaire on pave band with pave bands on either side? Or is it a double shank e-ring with single row pave band? Anyway, that's my second favorite. My third fave is a toss-up between the Leon and the 3-stone....both are just lovely.

ETA: I'm not a big fan of the encrusted ring (MB?) because it's just too crusty for me! I'd be worried about the maintenance too. However, that could just be one of those rings that looks a little odd in pictures but is amazing in real life.

By the way, my anniversary is coming in Sept too. Weren't we married around the same time? It's 5 years for us this year...what about you?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 10:40:55 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Mrs. S., I think I like the three stone of the ones that you posted. What size sides would you do? And weren''t you considering a split shank Daniel K too?

thanks sundial, jazmine and twisted tiffany.

Dee*Jay. yes, I was considering the DK but I was having doubts about changing to a cushion. also, the spread for a cushion is so much smaller than a round of the same size, add to that the high DK premium it was going to be quite a while longer before we''d be able to purchase. I just am tired of being ringless
39.gif
. I also have kids and we want to do Disney later this year..life things are just more important and I couldn''t really justify spending that much more on an e-ring right now. I do still adore the DK but think I''ll be happier in the long run by sticking with a round.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 10:41:48 AM
Author: KristyDarling
Oh boy, just too many good options to choose from. To be honest, your original wedding set with plain platinum band is my favorite. Imagine a 1.5 there and my heart skips a beat! (and if you stuck with your original set you''d have more moolah to go toward an even bigger stone, hehe) The thinness and elegance of those 2 plain bands together is perfect and looks so *right* on your hand. I also really, really like Kayla''s set....is that a solitaire on pave band with pave bands on either side? Or is it a double shank e-ring with single row pave band? Anyway, that''s my second favorite. My third fave is a toss-up between the Leon and the 3-stone....both are just lovely.

ETA: I''m not a big fan of the encrusted ring (MB?) because it''s just too crusty for me! I''d be worried about the maintenance too. However, that could just be one of those rings that looks a little odd in pictures but is amazing in real life.

By the way, my anniversary is coming in Sept too. Weren''t we married around the same time? It''s 5 years for us this year...what about you?

thanks Kristy. hubby likes the look of my original wedding set too. He like plain solitaires the best. I just got bored with it. Kalya''s set is a solitaire on a pave band, it also has pave on the basket. she has 2 bands on either side. I know what you''re saying on the MB. I have always loved it and think it''s beautiful but a also like seeing a little metal and the all over sparkle, while gorgeous is probably too much for my everyday lifestyle.

it will be 6 years for us...

luvsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Wow you have some nice pieces to pick from. I like the MB, but me myself couldn''t wear it, and I do love a beautiful three stone. So I guess my vote would have to go with the three stone. It looks gorgeous.
5.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to go off the board & INSIST that you choose the Pokey special from Leon, with a matching band.

Of course, I have no leverage. Except WHERE IS YOUR DOG? Okay, I don''t have your dog either.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I want tiger''s leon as an upgrade, so that would be my first pick for myself, because I don''t want a wedding band, And then the michael b. The setting is a pretty personal choice. The only thing I would steer away from is the same set you had because you got bored (I don''t think that boredom is going to change for you because you have a bigger stone). As for the three stone, I love the look, but it''s a pretty different look from a simple solitaire so maybe something you might not be totally ready for right now.

All in all, the setting that exists in it''s most perfect form (no modifications needed to suit your tastes and that I LOVE) is the michael B, so that''s the one I vote for you. And I also don''t think that there are that many people that have the diamond prongs, so it''s a bit unusual.

But, my absolute favorite one on you is the Daniel K split shank, just looked lovely on your hand, and I also think it''s really unusual. But if it doesn''t work for you, because of pricing/shape, then you''re picking from some gorgeous settings.

Good luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 11:34:11 AM
Author: decodelighted
I'm going to go off the board & INSIST that you choose the Pokey special from Leon, with a matching band.

Of course, I have no leverage. Except WHERE IS YOUR DOG? Okay, I don't have your dog either.

hehe deco. I love the pokey special but not sure i'd like the split shank with round. I love it with cushions and asschers though. definitely food for thought...

can you not see my doggie in my avatar?? or are you asking where i took the pic or are you thinking of holding her hostage
37.gif
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 11:34:58 AM
Author: allycat0303
As for the three stone, I love the look, but it's a pretty different look from a simple solitaire so maybe something you might not be totally ready for right now.

All in all, the setting that exists in it's most perfect form (no modifications needed to suit your tastes and that I LOVE) is the michael B, so that's the one I vote for you. And I also don't think that there are that many people that have the diamond prongs, so it's a bit unusual.

But, my absolute favorite one on you is the Daniel K split shank, just looked lovely on your hand, and I also think it's really unusual. But if it doesn't work for you, because of pricing/shape, then you're picking from some gorgeous settings.

Good luck!

thanks ally. you might be right about holding off on the 3 stone. it's something I could always leave open for a future setting change. I can always get the MB one-side with the pave prongs which is something I've considered too. not quite so diamond encrusted, still a bit different and still beautiful.

i know the DK is amazing just not doable at the time being
7.gif
I'm hoping with all the help of my PS friends I will end up choosing something just as lovely
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is the round stone above? It looks huge, although I know it is partly because of your tiny fingers!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
MrsS, yay! I''m so excited for you.
36.gif
A 1.5 will look HUGE on your tiny finger as the 1 already looks big. There are just too many to choose from. Since you got bored of your solitaire, I vote for the 3-stone, although I love the leon setting too!

Are you going to get a matching wedding band too?

Have you picked out your center stone yet? How fun!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrs s...so is the daniel k totally out of the running now?? since it wasn't listed in the images there. (eta oh i see it's too pricey, did you consider the adwar version??)

what a tough call! no wonder you are still confused..hehee. there are so many options.

i have given a lot of thought to a 3 stone myself from time to time, esp since it does give that finger coverage that a solitaire, even a huge one, doesn't...but i just don't know!! i don't know that i am really a 3 stone person! i like trying on other rings that are 3 stones but i have a really hard time seeing myself with one. i just feel like such a solitaire girl.

i think also for me it's hard to imagine having something different because i have this set and i see it every day and it's hard to imagine something new on your hand and wearing it day after day.

so on the rings, i don't like the MB encrusted solitaire because to me it's pretty in priniciple but i wouldn't want to wear that thing daily..it's too overwhelming to me. i like the Ritani 3 stone but i just don't know about a 3 stone. i love tiger's leon, but with a round? not sure it would have that same oomph with a 1.5c round as it does with a big cushion but with that super thin shank and beautiful head, it may! i love the ritani solitaire as you know but i do hear how you could be unsure because of the fact that you wore a solitaire for so long and i would want to be doing something different too after having been without my ring for this long!! i think it might feel a little anti-climactic to just get another solitaire, even the Ritani which is yum. and i love the Ritani rings like Kayla's!! when my friend gets hers done, you can see what it looks like with a 1.6c stone and maybe that will help you out some..hehee. i do like that setting right now because it seems pretty durable as Kayla hasn't had any issues with durability, i think she uses a US...and the rings are so darn thin they just make the center stone look enormous!!!! my friend tried them on and the 1.5cz looked like 2c!

so out of what you posted...i think my faves for something different but maybe not SO different that you would realize maybe you didn't like it...the ritani endless love set or the tiger/leon ring or similar. something solitairey with some pave or something to give it some jazz is my vote. don't know if this helps but here it is..my two cents. hehee!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am agreeing with teh crusted look of the MB.

I LOVE butterfly''s rings. Seems like a great compromise between bling and solitare. Those would be my first choice. And the Leon would be my second. I also like the Ritani three stone, but would have to see it in person.

Hmm... one sided Michael B pave? Just a personal thing... but I don''t like his heads at all. They just aren''t very fluid and that''s something that would bug me.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo, unfortunately I don't have much time these days for PS, but will just post a quick thought for now and hopefully give you more feedback later. Having worn a solitaire for the past 3 years, I say, don't get the solitaire. Although they always look like such a beautiful classic on others and in the jewelry store, on my own hand they just feel boring and given your own hesitation (and that fact that you already have solitaire and want a change) I suspect you'd regret it.

In my own search I also considered the 3 stone, and I'm just not a 3stone girl either. I'd rather have more, smaller stones for total finger coverage (from the top at least), rather than two larger stones that (to me) compete a little with the center stone. So I can at least say I prefer the Ritani - the one that's sort of a 3-stone with a pave? band - over the plain 3-stone. But again that's just me. I have to spend more time looking at the other options to give you more feedback.

Sorry I can't offer more at the moment but time is so scarce these days!!!!!

ETA: Ok, I couldn't resist looking at this thread again even though I should be working - but I was thinking, could you have something like that Leon one made with the type of head from the Ritani -where the prongs curve up leaving room for a flush w-band? I don't know if custom is an option, and I don't know if something like that could be done (without changing totally what you like about it), but I do love the look of the diamond band, but I too like the head of something like the Ritani that allows a flush fit band. Of the options you posted, that's probably what I would do!
1.gif
For what it's worth....

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Why don't I just read the whole thread at first before I reply?
20.gif

I just noticed Mara's comment, "i think my faves for something different but maybe not SO different that you would realize maybe you didn't like it...the ritani endless love set or the tiger/leon ring or similar. something solitairey with some pave or something to give it some jazz is my vote." And this is kind of what I was getting at above. And so I realized, the Ritani Endless Love does what I was saying - it has the sparkle on the side while still sitting flush, and also has more pizzazz than a solitaire. I always liked it for that reason. And flanked by the two w-bands as you showed is nice, since the rings are so thin.
So that brought another question to my mind: Are you planning to wear this e-ring with your current eternity band, or would you buy a new mate for the e-ring?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 12:04:28 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
What size is the round stone above? It looks huge, although I know it is partly because of your tiny fingers!

DS my old stone was a 1.2 OEC but faced up like a 1 carat modern round. I promise the picture makes it look way bigger than it did on my hand but I do wear a size 3.5 so that does help
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 12:13:41 PM
Author: snlee

Are you going to get a matching wedding band too?

Have you picked out your center stone yet? How fun!

thanks snlee..yes, whatever I decide I will get the matching wedding band. I''m working on my center stone now. I talked to Bill Pearlman about the size and specs I want and leaving the rest up to him.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a solitaire girl all the way so I am probably not much help - I just wanted to say I am so pleased for you that it is going to happen soon. You deserve it!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Kayla''s set too, very pretty. Which way are you leaning right now??

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 12:27:43 PM
Author: Mara

when my friend gets hers done, you can see what it looks like with a 1.6c stone and maybe that will help you out some..hehee. i do like that setting right now because it seems pretty durable as Kayla hasn''t had any issues with durability, i think she uses a US...and the rings are so darn thin they just make the center stone look enormous!!!! my friend tried them on and the 1.5cz looked like 2c!

so out of what you posted...i think my faves for something different but maybe not SO different that you would realize maybe you didn''t like it...the ritani endless love set or the tiger/leon ring or similar. something solitairey with some pave or something to give it some jazz is my vote. don''t know if this helps but here it is..my two cents. hehee!

thanks mara, you bring up some and valid points. I can''t wait to see the pics of your friends rings, plus you take such great pics I''ll get a really great idea of the tiny, tiny details. plus, I''m going to try and get to a ritani dealer this weekend to see some in person again. i do agree Ritani not having some of the durability issues that others have had,and being about to go in the US is just another plus..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 12:44:10 PM
Author: Gypsy
I am agreeing with teh crusted look of the MB.

I LOVE butterfly''s rings. Seems like a great compromise between bling and solitare. Those would be my first choice. And the Leon would be my second. I also like the Ritani three stone, but would have to see it in person.

Hmm... one sided Michael B pave? Just a personal thing... but I don''t like his heads at all. They just aren''t very fluid and that''s something that would bug me.

I know what you are saying about the MB heads and I''m not inlove with the either. I will say though, the ones that have the pave prongs look so much prettier than those without.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
First of all, I'm really excited for you to get this upgrade. You've been so patient and waited so long!

Second, for what it's worth, I like the above choices better than the DK, but I'm sorry you aren't able to get the one you really want. It does sound like a wise decision, though, and the great thing about rounds is how much bigger they look. I'm a bit biased, though, because I LOVE rounds.

Onto the settings:

I'm not loving that 3 stone Ritani -- at least not in that picture. The good thing about 3 stones is the great finger coverage and big sparkle, but I do think that they can sometimes take away from the center stone.

I don't love that particular MB because, as someone said, it looks kind of "crusty" and I'd be worried about daily use. I know at one point you were considering the MB princess. Is that out as an option? I like that look better -- it seems like a good compromise between the encrusted pave look and a solitaire.

I like the LM ring a lot. That is probably my favorite. It's not too hard to imagine that with a round. Reminds me a bit of Lynn's new reset. Would you get a similar head to Tiger's or design something new. I think that could be gorgeous.

I also like the Ritani rings, but personally prefer more of a pave look than a channel set look.

It's a tough call, but I don't think you can go wrong. And I don't think you will. Can't wait till September!

ETA I really love that Ritani solitaire and that is probably what I would choose, BUT I am totally a solitaire girl through and through and I don't really think that is what you're wanting now. It seems like the pave look really speaks to you and it would be a shame for you to get something that doesn't excite you. If you've done the solitaire thing for 5 years, do something new unless a solitaire still speaks to you.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 1:41:10 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl

So that brought another question to my mind: Are you planning to wear this e-ring with your current eternity band, or would you buy a new mate for the e-ring?

thanks OFG. I''ll get a new matching eternity band (or two
27.gif
) with whatever I choose. about the custom idea. I''m not completely against it but I''m so picky if I can find something I like as is and I know exactly how it will look, I''d prefer to go that route.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure you''ve already said why and I''ve missed it, but I''ll ask anyway......why can''t you get the Daniel K you want?

Is it no longer available, or can you just not get it *now*?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lorelei, Keleigh and Demelza...

K- I guess I''m leaning towards a Ritani like kayla''s or something like Tiger''s leon maybe doing something a little different with the head to allow for a wedding band to fit more flush..

Dem- the MB princess could still work but i don''t love, love the head. i can add pave to the head which makes me like it better but i still don''t like it as much as the pave basket on the Ritani..

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 2:19:04 PM
Author: aljdewey
I''m sure you''ve already said why and I''ve missed it, but I''ll ask anyway......why can''t you get the Daniel K you want?

Is it no longer available, or can you just not get it *now*? *

I was wondering the same thing........*if THIS is the case, maybe you could get the new stone in a chep solitaire setting and get what you REALLY want at a later date......wpild hate to see you settle for another high priced setting and still have it not be "the one" down the road ..........certainly can understand you don''t want to be "ringless."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results