shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique, interesting, or just plain odd stones...Post them here!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Posting here because the vendor says this is a natural stone but ummm… hmmm… Why is there a rainbow blob? Is it a color coating (yuck) or maybe caused by irradiation?

364A1434-4CAC-4B5B-8843-862F605147F4.jpeg

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I actually have a tumbled citrine that has that sort of rainbow in it!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Posting here because the vendor says this is a natural stone but ummm… hmmm… Why is there a rainbow blob? Is it a color coating (yuck) or maybe caused by irradiation?

364A1434-4CAC-4B5B-8843-862F605147F4.jpeg

Not a rainbow. It is thin film dispersion caused by a tiny open fracture.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Not a rainbow. It is thin film dispersion caused by a tiny open fracture.

Thanks, Garry!

In case people are interested, here is a link to an article on diamond-like carbon coating.

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/w...e-coated-diamond-film-imitating-rough-diamond

Ok, here’s a few more questions, Since DLC is applied via vapor disposition, and since CVD grows diamonds layer-by-layer, how can we tell whether the film dispersion we are seeing is an open fracture that splits the the layer of the DLC from a different non-diamond material underneath, versus just a split in the layers of legit LGD grown through CVD? Granted according to the article there could be tell-tale inclusions if the underlying material is moissanite. But absent those inclusions… Do we have to resort to x-rays every time?

If the fracture is a break between DLC and some other material, how do they get the DLC such a pretty pink? Do they mix up a batch of DLC and irradiate that?

If the dispersion is not from a break between DLC and a different material, but is in fact dispersion from different layers in a legit CVD diamond, does that mean that with strategically placed minor surface fractures we could create diamonds that look to the human eye to be entirely covered in dispersion “rainbows?”

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Here’s another interesting colored stone. well- known vendo
Thanks, Garry!

In case people are interested, here is a link to an article on diamond-like carbon coating.

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/w...e-coated-diamond-film-imitating-rough-diamond

Ok, here’s a few more questions, Since DLC is applied via vapor disposition, and since CVD grows diamonds layer-by-layer, how can we tell whether the film dispersion we are seeing is an open fracture that splits the the layer of the DLC from a different non-diamond material underneath, versus just a split in the layers of legit LGD grown through CVD? Granted according to the article there could be tell-tale inclusions if the underlying material is moissanite. But absent those inclusions… Do we have to resort to x-rays every time?

If the fracture is a break between DLC and some other material, how do they get the DLC such a pretty pink? Do they mix up a batch of DLC and irradiate that?

If the dispersion is not from a break between DLC and a different material, but is in fact dispersion from different layers in a legit CVD diamond, does that mean that with strategically placed minor surface fractures we could create diamonds that look to the human eye to be entirely covered in dispersion “rainbows?”

P.S. I found another weird colored diamond. It is from brilliance.com, which is a more mainstream vendor, plus it has an IGI report identifying it as LGD and having possible treatment. So overall it is far less likely to be a fraud. Anyone want to check that one out and speculate how it got it’s weird color?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Nice finds, I love the top .43 especially!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
The GIA inscription on the .54 E Radiant says "Springcut." I've seen this before somewhere but don't know what it means. I'm trying to stop myself from asking for the 360.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Old PS thread on Spring Cut.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Old PS thread on Spring Cut.

6055DC39-8EEF-428C-B0BE-4387AD781462.jpeg

Always loved this setting but could not figure out what to put in it. Now I have an idea.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I just bought this weirdo. Another e-ring in a generic setting.
But it was so spready and weird with a huge culet. Strong flouro...what a funky diamond. Almost flat like a rose cut? 6.84 x 5.21 x 2.64 .70 J

It's okay if you say, "girl, what did you do?"
I'm not sure.

Screenshot 2023-03-10 202639.png

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
You're my hero. Show us the way.

We can fumble around together, if ya like.

Lord, what did I do?

Who knows if it will be available? The diamond is not showing as unavailable yet. But my order is confirmed. Weird.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can fumble around together, if ya like.

Lord, what did I do?

Who knows if it will be available? The diamond is not showing as unavailable yet. But my order is confirmed. Weird.

Yessssss I love it. So weird and cool

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Yessssss I love it. So weird and cool

The whole middle should be a window, but it doesn't look like a window.
I guess we'll all find out together. Ha.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This is absolutely my LAST impulse buy...I am putting myself in time out - after this one :D

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I just bought this weirdo. Another e-ring in a generic setting.
But it was so spready and weird with a huge culet. Strong flouro...what a funky diamond. Almost flat like a rose cut? 6.84 x 5.21 x 2.64 .70 J

It's okay if you say, "girl, what did you do?"
I'm not sure.

Screenshot 2023-03-10 202639.png

I'm crazy about it. I love that cut!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am so heartened you all are encouraging on this stone and not gently trying to prepare me to send it back :D.

I got up for a "sleep-break"and checked and the stone is now unavailable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results