shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique Child names

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
A friend of mine is naming her new puppy Killian and I have fallen in love with it, has anyone heard this used as a baby name?
Yes, bee* brought it up a few posts ago! Cillian/Killian are the same name, different spellings. I know loads of Cillians, it's very popular here. I love it.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
bee* said:
Zoe said:
bee* said:
I'm not a fan of unique names-I much prefer classic names. For a boy, I adore Cian (pronounced Key-an). I also love the name Sebastian. For a girl I love Charlotte.

One similar sounding name to Cian that I LOVE is Ciaran (or Kieran). Irish names are my favorites.

I like Ciaran as well. I also adore the name Cillian. I like some Irish names but there are a lot that I really don't like. I also don't know any Rowans at all over here, apart from one lad whose surname is Rowan.

There are a lot of nice Irish names - and some not so nice!

SO is Rory (thankfully his parents didnt bother with the Irish spelling!) and now his name is being appropriated in North America for girls - it kills him!! He gets all flustered and says 'Its a boys name. He was the last high king of Ireland. What is wrong with these people!' Although we do know one female Rory who's older than SO...but mostly its a new thing. I blame those horrible Gilmore Girls :bigsmile:

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
If I had my way, my sons names would have been Galen & Conrad, but instead they are names Andrew Galen & Connor Mason.

So, I got to use Galen as a middle name for my first, but I really wish I had stuck to my guns & named the baby Conrad instead of Connor. He's only 5 months old - is it too late to change? ;-)

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
my DH is a fan of SUPER traditional names, like Chris and John etc. While I prefer something slightly more unique (my husband has a Portuguese last name consisting of two letters, so I feel I need to overcompensate with more syllables in the kid's first names :wacko: ), I also wouldnt go super crazy with the name either. Sometimes I think parents just arent thinking about the future when naming their child. I actually was just reading an article on this, certain names that just dont work in a professional workplace. Try being taken seriously with a name like Candy or Apple. Certain names just wont be taken seriously or stereotyped when seen on the cover of a resume.

I knew a Jack Frost, a Justin Case, a Hai Yu (pronounced Hey You), to name a few. That's just being mean lol.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Ke`tchup
Mustardo
Mayonassia

I couldn't resist.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
pennquaker09 said:
Ke`tchup
Mustardo
Mayonassia

I couldn't resist.

:naughty:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Watch out, there might be thieves about :-o

"Many parents look to books or ancestral names when deciding what to call their new baby. But it seems a growing number are simply asking other parents what they have in mind for their children – and then stealing the idea. A poll shows a quarter of mothers-to-be claim another parent pinched the name they had chosen for their new-born. Competition to secure the best names has become so rife that some parents have even admitted keeping theirs secret.
Meanwhile, 14 per cent said they were frustrated by feeling unable to use names already claimed by other parents. Researchers found some of the most likely girls’ names to be stolen were Lily, Ellie, Eve, Angel, Lavender and Poppy. More bizarrely, they also found Tilly Madison, Beau and Milan were popular with name-pinchers. Most vulnerable names for boys included Ross, Dylan and Noah.
According to the study, parents who choose unusual names are more susceptible to name-thieves. Despite the high number claiming to be victims of copying, only 4 per cent were brave enough to admit they had stolen someone else’s name.
The survey, by parenting website gurgle.com was based on a poll of 1,029 parents."
from dailymail.co.uk

reader

Brilliant_Rock
It is not to late to change the name. I changed my daughter's name at one year, the reverse side of the birth certificate may have a form for the correction of errors.

My first name is Billi. The first assumption that people have when they see my name in print as that I am a lesbian. The second is that its a nickname. Real story? My mom wanted to name me Mitzi Sue or Chrystal Chandelier. Dad insisted that I be named Billi Jo whether a boy or a girl. (Dad is Claude William) Ergo, I hate androgynous spellings of names.

My daughter's father wished to name her Mary Ann or Mary Beth. Maria Anne Elizabeth won. It was funny, however, that her fifth grade class had three Maria Anns...all of whom played clarinet.

Lislis89

Rough_Rock
Steal said:
Watch out, there might be thieves about :-o

"Many parents look to books or ancestral names when deciding what to call their new baby. But it seems a growing number are simply asking other parents what they have in mind for their children – and then stealing the idea.

Oh I hope that when I have children unless I fall in love with the meaning/story/feeling behind a name for them (even if it was someones before hand) not just because I think looks or sounds good.

Not to be a downer because sometimes imitation is the sincerist form of flattery..... sometimes ;-)

Another gorgeous name is that of my Niece is ANEISHA.... and ofcourse it matches the personality

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock
I had a client a few months back who was named Chloa. I think it is a stunning name!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47 said:
I guess I don't get the 'unique' names. I have one and people are always confusing me for a boy (my name is Spencer). I'm totally fine with my name but some of the names are just confusing-especially the ones with wacky spellings.

My favorite are the athlete names though-I think D'Artagnan could totally work for a football player! Sort of like D'Brickashaw...

It's also interesting how other cultures have adopted certain American names, but not others.

I LOVE Spencer for a girl.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like Spencer for a girl too!

When I brought up London as a choice, JD said it was a guys name. Whatever, the name screams feminine to me. If we'd had another girl she would have been Svea or Nevada. Another boy would have been Trader or Gunner.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister had a student named "The Original"

Lislis89

Rough_Rock
That's not very original........ Really?! :razz:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I tend to like older names like Evelyn, Kathryn, Eleanor, Ruth, Anne. My aunt is a Priscilla. My great grandmother was Ernestine.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
puppmom said:
My sister had a student named "The Original"

THE original? I hate to say it but...she was not the first child ever. LOL. How funny!

I went to school with a boy named Sunrise. He was native american with long, gorgeous hair...and blue eyes. He was stunning.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
No joke:
I have a friend who's a teacher. One day she wrote this down, and asked me how I would pronounce it:

Le-a

So I told her, "Lee uh? Lay uh?"

Nope. It was pronounced "La DASH uh". The '-' was actually pronounced 'DASH'. I just don't get some parents!!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Lynnie said:
No joke:
I have a friend who's a teacher. One day she wrote this down, and asked me how I would pronounce it:

Le-a

So I told her, "Lee uh? Lay uh?"

Nope. It was pronounced "La DASH uh". The '-' was actually pronounced 'DASH'. I just don't get some parents!!!

Yup. I've see it all now! ;-)

Fi's first name is unique and different. THough, not a single person I know knew how to pronounce it and some STILL say it wrong. Drives me nuts. I've even had a few people over the phone ask if he is arab :confused: he's a 30 year old white guy that works at a desk all day ;-)

His last name is a combo of his dad and moms last names. So combined with his first and last name people always have this look after they ask for his name :confused: :confused: :confused: (was that english??)

He has said many times he wants to name our kids some names I don't agree with.

Octavian
Faustina
DRUCILLA (puppy killer! I think not!)
There are more, and it's not that these are bad... but with the last name it would be bad for this kid
The only one we could agree on is Atticus so far-- but I've decided that if our poor kids get his huge long last name, I am getting naming rights :wacko: :wacko:

My first name isn't so common, but some people have it. That's what I want our kids to have..

Steel

Ideal_Rock
bean said:
Fi's first name is unique and different. THough, not a single person I know knew how to pronounce it and some STILL say it wrong. Drives me nuts. I've even had a few people over the phone ask if he is arab :confused: he's a 30 year old white guy that works at a desk all day ;-)

His last name is a combo of his dad and moms last names. So combined with his first and last name people always have this look after they ask for his name :confused: :confused: :confused: (was that english??)

He has said many times he wants to name our kids some names I don't agree with.

Octavian
Faustina
DRUCILLA (puppy killer! I think not!)
There are more, and it's not that these are bad... but with the last name it would be bad for this kid
The only one we could agree on is Atticus so far-- but I've decided that if our poor kids get his huge long last name, I am getting naming rights :wacko: :wacko: My first name isn't so common, but some people have it. That's what I want our kids to have..

I have heard it said that on seeing his wife/SO give birth some men give up the struggle to give the child 'their' choice of name. So by hook or by crook you might get 'your' way.

BTW: I just saw that alicia keys named her son egypt.

Lislis89

Rough_Rock
Had a gentleman at work with the surname REALLY......... No I am not kidding.... REALLY! :appl:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Zoe said:
bee* said:
I'm not a fan of unique names-I much prefer classic names. For a boy, I adore Cian (pronounced Key-an). I also love the name Sebastian. For a girl I love Charlotte.

One similar sounding name to Cian that I LOVE is Ciaran (or Kieran). Irish names are my favorites.

I have always loved the name Michaela/Micaela, but it's so hard to love now because of the hundreds of different ways to spell it. I think I wrote the traditional ways to spell the name, but I've also seen it spelled McKayla, MacKayla, and various other ways. My name is fairly common but I've seen some pretty unique ways of spelling it.

My sister loves more unique names than I do. Asher is one name that she LOVES.

I love Kieran. Such a great name. I'm also loving Reina and Rowan for girls. This thread kinda makes me want to go get my name changed!

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
We don't know if we are having a boy or a girl yet but for a boy we like the name Cayden and for a girl we like the name Violet. I hope those names aren't too weird! lol I seem to hear more comments about Violet then Cayden but we like it because it's an old victorian name, not because it's a flower or a color :)

Lislis89

Rough_Rock
random_thought said:
We don't know if we are having a boy or a girl yet but for a boy we like the name Cayden and for a girl we like the name Violet. I hope those names aren't too weird! lol I seem to hear more comments about Violet then Cayden but we like it because it's an old victorian name, not because it's a flower or a color :)

I actually really like cayden even for a girl! They are both stunning names though! :appl: :appl: :appl: And violet actually reminds me of people more than flowers or purple! Great Choice!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I went to camp with a boy named Richard Liss....Dick Liss....lord, parents can be cruel. :-o

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
random_thought said:

I LOVE those name choices!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
random_thought said:
for a girl we like the name Violet. ... I seem to hear more comments about Violet then Cayden but we like it because it's an old victorian name, not because it's a flower or a color

My mother-in-law was named, "Violet". Since she lived most of her life in Italy, she was called, "Violetta" most of the time. She also lived in France during the Second World War, however. I am not sure if she used the Italian version or the French version of her name in France. When we were picking a name for our daughter, we considered, "Violetta" and , "Violette" as first and middle names.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
DH's grandmother is called Violet. If we were to have another girl I would have been keen to use it, but my little sister has wanted to use the name since she was a little girl and so I wouldn't steal it (also DH doesn't like it).

I love classic and classical - especially the Victorian flower names. I really dislike weird spellings - doesn't make the name original, just irritating. I'm also not big on names that sound like surnames but that is probably a British thing as they're very popular in the USA but not over here.

We called our daughter: Daisy Xanthe Pandora

Daisy for the flower and because it is both cute and serious. It's in the UK top 30 so not that unusual.
Xanthe means 'yellow' which is my favourite colour, she was an Oceanid in Greek mythology and we loved the sound. It's very unusal here.
Pandora means 'all gifts' and she is one of my favourite characters in mythology. Pandora has been my alter-ego for many years now and DH wanted to use the name because of that.

Fun names I know people with:

Ptolemy - who has sisters named Antigone and Tacita
Elysia (as in Elysian fields)
Ianthe
Gaius Aurelius
Magnus
Fergus

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do love Acacia, but in some ways I should have named her Daisy - it's kinda the theme flower for our relationship (mine and my husband's). I think Daisy and Poppy go well together. I wish I'd been brave enough to name my youngest Rune instead of Rowan but I didn't have the guts lol

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire said:
I went to camp with a boy named Richard Liss....Dick Liss....lord, parents can be cruel. :-o
i know a guy name Richard Head...of course i call him Dick... :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results