carat
color
clarity

Unique Child names

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember said:
My full name is Margarita (Rita for short) :cheeky: and I used to sit next to a girl at work named Tequila!

Brilliant :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChloeTheGreat said:
I've always liked Layla for a girl and Graham for a boy.
I'm not sure I want children.
One of my cousins named his new baby girl Lilah...I hope if I have a daughter and name her Layla they won't think I'm copying.
I have an eight year old cousin named Lyla. We loved her name when she was born and thought it was unusual for these times, but since then it has become SO popular.

The name always reminds me of the mean girl Lila from the Sweet Valley Twins/High series.

ETA: I like unique names, but I find names with certain connotations to be a bit over the top. (Placenta? Really?)
My name is Lori, which is unpopular for my generation and I always liked that. My sister is named Allison, which was the most popular name the year she was born, and I always felt bad for her that there were so many Allisons/Alisons running around.

My current favorite names for girls are Anais, Pier, Carmen and Dagney. I love Ascher for a boy, but DH hates it, so it won't be an option. I also love Rafa, which is what we'll probably name a boy if we have one.

I'm loving Rowen now, too.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire said:
Thanks Nashville...of course, with Irma, Harold, Joseph and Bertha in the queue, we had to be pretty creative, lol! We ended up using some of their middle initials in addition to their first initials, because we couldn't find both first/middle names that we liked for our kids with their first initials....as much as I love tradition, sometimes it proves rather challenging. ;))

I hear you! We had Shmuel, Channan, Yitzhak, Zebulon, Baruch... DH wanted to change that just a bit to honor our President. He seriously wanted to name our son Barack Uzi (insert Jewish last name that begins with a G here). Yup, BUG. At least we had some other excellent relatives' names to pick from. We did go with a rather unusual middle name, but you can take some real liberties there I feel.

PenelopeJane

Shiny_Rock
I love unique names, but was not as adventurous as some when it came to naming our kids.

We named our girl Penelope Jane S-- and our son Axel Anderson S-- . (Anderson is the middle name in case that got confusing.) Axel is a family name.

Celebrities always give their kids crazy names. Like Penn from Penn & Teller named his daughter Moxie Crimefighter. I actually think Moxie is cute but when it's coupled with Crimefighter it completely ruins it for me.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I have a unique one - hated to write it when i was in 1st grade lol.

If I had a boy, I would have loved to name him Dax. I donno, I just love this name!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot to share that my mother REALLY wanted to name me Fritzy after her father, Fritz, who passed away three years before my birth. My father refused, and I really wish I was named Fritzy. I totally could have rocked that name. Instead, they named me Lori after my grandmother Helga's twin sister, Hannelaure, who died at age 12. Maybe I'll name a future daughter Fritzy.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a funny name story....

when I was pregnant with my 3rd child I was in a hospital waiting room and a nurse came out and called, "MacDonald? ::pause:: MacDonald? ::pause::" then looks down at her chart and says, "Ronald MacDonald?" and I swear to GOD this little red headed boy about 5 years old comes around the corner and the mom says, "This is Ronnie". OMG - seriously? Okay so it wasn't McDonald - but Ronald MACdonald? and a redhead? Mean parents!!!!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
All the men in my husband's family are named Frederick and go by their middle names.
I chose to name our son Erick minus the Fred
His middle name is Brandt my MILs maiden name

My brother is named Ray
His granddaughter is Rayne

My middle name Dale is my
great aunt's last name
My mother thought it would look good on a
theater marquee when I took the country by storm

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really wanted to name a son Hans which is my great grandfather's name but I have a spanish last name and although they *sound* good together as far as harmonics go, the cultural gap was just too big. I was going to name my youngest Stefan (not ste-fawn but stef-an) but he came out with black hair and black eyes and I just couldn't do it! I had to start from scratch as I'd picked that name for a 2nd boy when I was pregnant with my daughter!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Two of my childhood neighbors were
Carmen Erickson and Fairy Mae Johnson

I had a patient named Lone Lee

Gleaned from recent local births
E'Moni Jaydis Dahvid Emberlee Kabre'on Paisley De'Karai Garrison and Greer

S'Miyah Ameya Cason Kindrid Khushleen Kamoryn Ja'Mari I-Saun Te'a

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
My name is Alani, pronounced Ah-Lah-Nee. It is hawaiian for orange tree.

I hated it growing up, I wanted to be like one of the 4 Sarahs in my class! No one could ever pronounce it right (still don't) and I hate introducing myself because i have to repeat is several times before people get it.

My husband on the other hand loves my name, which has in turn made it grow on me a little.

I think is is pretty unusual because there is only a handful of us on FB with the same name and most of us have contacted each other to talk about how we have never met anyone with the same name!

I really didn't want to give my kid an unusual name so i named her Kaitlin. She hates being one of 3 Kaitlins in her class. LOL you just can't win sometimes!! ::)

Lislis89

Rough_Rock
Autumnovember said:
My full name is Margarita (Rita for short) :cheeky: and I used to sit next to a girl at work named Tequila!

I went to school with a boy called Kaulua (pronounced KAH - LUA) just like the drink too! In fact I remember a teacher teasing that his mum must have drank too much of it before he was born that's why she named him after it........ Bit mean!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh Alani is so pretty! I pronounced it correctly in my head too when I was reading it so yeah points for me! It's very feminine!

There's a little girl in town here named Nalani.

When my mom was pg w/me, my Grampa told her she was going to have a girl, born on his birthday, and Mom was to name her Hazel Dell. :???: Mom called Grampa from the hospital right after I was born (on his birthday) and said "Well Doc, 2 out of three ain't bad" and he just knew..he said "What's wrong with the name Hazel Dell?" Yikes. Didn't matter, he called me Mitzy or Love.

I've named 2 cats Hazel Dell however.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Lislis89 said:
Autumnovember said:

I went to school with a boy called Kaulua (pronounced KAH - LUA) just like the drink too! In fact I remember a teacher teasing that his mum must have drank too much of it before he was born that's why she named him after it........ Bit mean!

People CONSTANTLY as me if my parents were drinking Margarita's when they were picking out names, haha.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
swimmer said:
I hear you! We had Shmuel, Channan, Yitzhak, Zebulon, Baruch... DH wanted to change that just a bit to honor our President. He seriously wanted to name our son Barack Uzi (insert Jewish last name that begins with a G here). Yup, BUG. At least we had some other excellent relatives' names to pick from. We did go with a rather unusual middle name, but you can take some real liberties there I feel.
Barack Uzi? How badass is that! I love it.

Probably won't have kids, but I love thinking up names. My brother and SIL are having their first in March, I wonder if they'll let me name him?? For a girl, I like the idea of naming her Sarah Cloyce Mylastname. Sarah Cloyce is a direct ancestor of mine who was tried as a witch in Salem, but acquitted. She lost two sisters to the hangman, however. It would be a way of honoring my heritage. I love old, but somewhat uncommon names too, like Daisy, Hazel, or Eleanor (probably because they remind me of my grandmother and aunts, but they might be a bit much to saddle a baby with!) Or something with Irish or Scottish roots, as long as the spelling isn't too funky. Boys names...well, I loved Aidan, Liam, and Colin long before they were popular, but would probably go with something a little different now, like Cameron, which was my great-grandmother's maiden name.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree said:
My name is Alani, pronounced Ah-Lah-Nee. It is hawaiian for orange tree.

I hated it growing up, I wanted to be like one of the 4 Sarahs in my class! No one could ever pronounce it right (still don't) and I hate introducing myself because i have to repeat is several times before people get it.

My husband on the other hand loves my name, which has in turn made it grow on me a little.

I think is is pretty unusual because there is only a handful of us on FB with the same name and most of us have contacted each other to talk about how we have never met anyone with the same name!

I really didn't want to give my kid an unusual name so i named her Kaitlin. She hates being one of 3 Kaitlins in her class. LOL you just can't win sometimes!! ::)

HOT, I have to say, I love Hawaiian names. I used to live there, and one of my close friends is Hawaiian and her middle name was Nalani. I was so jealous - I wanted a Hawaiian name! I also used to help out a kindergarten teacher when I was in 5th grade or so and one of my favorite students in the classes was named Noelani. Still jealous.

All my life, I've met ONE person with my name. It's not very common at all - it's a Korean name but can also be American, if that makes sense - and thankfully it's easy to pronounce and spell (though there have been idiots out there who have asked how it's spelled - without going into details, trust me, a child can spell it). I actually don't care for super unique names - I feel that it just invites ridicule, as does crazy crazy spellings of common names. Unique is good, too unique is just overboard, IMO only. Then again, I love classic names, so maybe it's just a preference thing. My ex-bf's nieces are named Audrey and Eleanor and those are two of my favorite names for girls, so shows why I'm not into excess naming creativity :) I do like steering away from the SUPER POPULAR Christian and/or American names that ALL Korean parents seem to give their Korean-American children (i.e. Grace, Eunice, Jane, Jenny, Esther, etc...). Not because I don't like the names (well Eunice...) but because everyone I know in the Korean social circle has those names.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
My name is normal, although spelled with a C instead of a K like most people spell it these days. Also a reason why I've always gone by my full name, no nicknames, as Katie with a C just didn't seem to work...

My mother begged to name me Georgiana, but everyone thought she was nuts. My parents also wanted to name my older brother Liam, and at the time everyone thought that was nuts. He got Benson instead. Up until 2 weeks ago, I'd never seen the name before (besides the TV show, ha) until a girl I know named her son Benson AND oddly enough, the same middle name as my older bro.

My mom's name is Shaunie (real name, not nicknamed, I think she once told me it is Gaelic for "Janet" but I could be wrong...) and her siblings were Duncan and Katrina. And a cousin named Sterling, which I think is a cute name.

I like "boy" names for girls (e.g. Taylor, Cameron), and 2 syllable boy names that can't be nicknamed/shortened (e.g. Ian, Hayden).

DH loves the name Atlas. We're not having kids, ha, so these could be dog names someday instead!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
DH and I have EXTREMELY americana names. I mean as common as you can get and both of our names plus our last name all begin with S (oh yeah my maiden name also began with S and sounded very similar to my now married name). Anyhow so becasue i had such a common name i really REALLY wanted our DS to have a unique name. My top names were
Byron
Jasper (Twilight killed that option off quickly)
Tristan (loved this one)
We ended up going with Rowan Chanan (very irish first name with a very israelie middle name)..most people give us the :o look when we tell them his name :rolleyes:

Anyhow I would like to remind everyone that most names have all been made up at some point. In the 1800's and early 1900's Meredith, Ashley and Tiffany were all boys names. Then became unisex and now are pretty much exclusively girls's names. Wendy was a name completely made up and then became extremely popular. I bet if you name your kid "sofa" or "wipeboard" it might be unique now but in 20 years it will be the norm.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hudson_Hawk said:
Nashville said:
I know some kids with pretty "out there" names, and maybe a few years ago I would have been like "HUH?!" but these days unusual is the norm. Everyone wants their kids to have such unusual names that now it's the kids with names like "Henry" and "Sarah" that stand out in their class!

I volunteer at a few difference schools and I can't even begin to describe how many Aidans and Emmas I see! Those names definitely had a major spike in popularity.

Now that I think of it, my daughter's name might be considered weird by some, but it's actually a pretty old fashioned name.

My son's name is Aidan...

I don't know, I guess I'm too conventional to go all out and give my kid an unusual name. I'd rather have a common name than a more unusual name with weird connotations. For example the name Marley, sure it's a little unique, but why would I want to give my kid a name that reminds people of a pot smoking Rastafarian musician?

Lol! Marley is my first name. :bigsmile:

It's not for everyone. I'm 20 and people my age don't automatically associate my name with Bob Marley. I actually don't think I've ever been asked if I was named after him. Plus he's been dead for longer than I've been alive... I do like his music though. My name has definitely gained popularity since Marley and Me came out. :))

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I was reading through some of the Hawaiian names above, they sound almost musical when you say them out loud. Beautiful.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
My first name isn't uncommon, but it wasn't so popular that there was someone in class with the same name every year. I have two middle names though, which seems to be a lot more uncommon and I love that. The names themselves aren't that special (I always thought Angelina was kind of unique before, but not anymore, haha) but I really love my name all together. So that's something I definitely want to to do with our kids in the future.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know! If I have a daughter, her name will be Marley, I think that's so unique! I just LOVE that name. :appl:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I go to bed, I must reply:

My SIL's first name is the same as mine,and her daughter/my niece's name is the same. Our family just loves the name, and we're all very happy with it. <3

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha - where this thread is headed I wish I could share my friend's blog about "bad baby names".

When I had one of my sons I had a funny nurse and we got into this subject and she told me a couple funny ones - there was the hispanic family that thought the hospital named their child so they wrote on the birth certificate "female" pronounced to rhyme with tamale. And another woman who named her daughter Vagina pronounced "va-gee-na". You know - Gina with VA in front lol She saw it on the wall of the ob's office and thought it looked pretty.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621 said:
DH and I have EXTREMELY americana names. I mean as common as you can get and both of our names plus our last name all begin with S (oh yeah my maiden name also began with S and sounded very similar to my now married name). Anyhow so becasue i had such a common name i really REALLY wanted our DS to have a unique name. My top names were
Byron
Jasper (Twilight killed that option off quickly)
Tristan (loved this one)
We ended up going with Rowan Chanan (very irish first name with a very israelie middle name)..most people give us the :o look when we tell them his name :rolleyes:

Anyhow I would like to remind everyone that most names have all been made up at some point. In the 1800's and early 1900's Meredith, Ashley and Tiffany were all boys names. Then became unisex and now are pretty much exclusively girls's names. Wendy was a name completely made up and then became extremely popular. I bet if you name your kid "sofa" or "wipeboard" it might be unique now but in 20 years it will be the norm.

I have a BOY rowan too :) And a year or two after I had him brooke shields had a girl and named her rowan and that's a name that seems now to be going to the girls ::sigh::

I just don't understand why Acacia isn't more popular. People name their kids all sorts of weird things and it's just a tree name like Willow. And I think it's just beautiful. It was more popular a couple hundred years ago I guess... and it's more popular in Europe than here.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
When I was growing up Audrey Shirley Marion and Beverly were often men's names

In the South most male State Troopers seem to be named Stacy Tracy or Shannon

A lady recently in the news here is named Enola Gay (If you're young google it)

Chef Jamie Oliver’s newborn Buddy Bear Maurice has siblings named Poppy Honey Rosie, Daisy Boo Pamela, and Petal Blossom Rainbow.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
My roommate freshman year of college went to scholl with twins named L'Washa and L'Drya Maytag. I thought she was kidding, but she produced the yearbook for proof. Mean, mean parents!!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Ohhh Alani is so pretty! I pronounced it correctly in my head too when I was reading it so yeah points for me! It's very feminine!

There's a little girl in town here named Nalani.

When my mom was pg w/me, my Grampa told her she was going to have a girl, born on his birthday, and Mom was to name her Hazel Dell. :???: Mom called Grampa from the hospital right after I was born (on his birthday) and said "Well Doc, 2 out of three ain't bad" and he just knew..he said "What's wrong with the name Hazel Dell?" Yikes. Didn't matter, he called me Mitzy or Love.

I've named 2 cats Hazel Dell however.

Aww thanks packrat!! You know, my dad wanted to call me Tiffany and my mum said no so they named the pony Tiffany instead! :))

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G. said:
HOT, I have to say, I love Hawaiian names. I used to live there, and one of my close friends is Hawaiian and her middle name was Nalani. I was so jealous - I wanted a Hawaiian name! I also used to help out a kindergarten teacher when I was in 5th grade or so and one of my favorite students in the classes was named Noelani. Still jealous.

Oh BEG! I am so jealous!! I long to go to Hawaii just so my name can be normal for once! I have always wondered if they sell mugs and pens with hawaiian names on them just like they sell these things with normal names here. ::)

Nalani and Noelani are beautiful! I have recently met a little girl with the name Kalani, i am assuming after the surfer Kalani Robb coz her dad is a surfer. :))

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
It's funny - when I was in bed last night - right before I fell asleep, I thought about this thread and remembered cool/unusual names of people I went to school/Uni with...:

Magdalina ( she was carrying that name wonderfully... lol )
Allegra ( mother was a very talented cellist! )
Cox ( boy was so cute )
Aurelle ( french name - beautiful! )
Soleil ( means sun in french )
Fleur ( flower in french )
Ansong ( he was finnish ... strange )
Wolfgang ( that's my husband name - I love it so much!! )
Almandine ( in french is a liquor, kinda like Amaretto )
Lumiere ( means light in french )
Noiree ( means black in french - and the added "E" is so nice! )
Tristana ( was from a song of a french singer named Mylene Farmer )

I could go on... It's cool to read different names in other language... I think they can sound so intriguing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results