shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique Child names

Lislis89

Rough_Rock
So thought I would start a little topic about interesting/different/unique/special/meaningful names for boys or girls that people are thinking of when they have children or just interesting names in general!

I have a very interesting first, middle and last name (even after I get married), although its of pacific island background therefore many are unable to say/pronounce/spell it! I would love for my children to have a little story etc behind their name....

I often see differently spelt or slightly different pronounced names that capture my interest all the time!

Some of my favourites for boys names are Byron, Olliver, Kol, Spence and Kaleb....

Some of my favourites for girls names are Kaidence, Marlow, Lola and Avia....

Love to hear everyones thoughts!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
My kids are: Acacia, Beacher, and Rowan.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Apparently Micah is not a common name where I live, and that is what I named my son. My real name is also uncommon due to it's spelling - everyone spells it Amy :tongue:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who had to spell my name a dozen times a day while I was growing up, I insisted I'd give my children 'normal' names. Sadly, those good ol' fashioned Anglo-Saxon names I had in mind just don't 'go' with my SO's French Huguenot surname.

I think names should flow. First names and surnames should 'match', you know? Not necessarily in terms of ethnicity, but they should sound good together.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
My grandfather had a thing for unique names. He named my mom Moraima and my aunt Illuminada. They both go by diff. nicknames because ppl would kill the pronunciation of their names constantly

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Our daughter's name is Dalila Safiya, which means "gentle' and 'pure' in Swahili. We wanted a name that was beautiful, meaningful, and that honoured our African heritage. :))

meresal

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine named her son "Camo".

We named our son after my husband. However, his nickname is pretty original.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I know some kids with pretty "out there" names, and maybe a few years ago I would have been like "HUH?!" but these days unusual is the norm. Everyone wants their kids to have such unusual names that now it's the kids with names like "Henry" and "Sarah" that stand out in their class!

I volunteer at a few difference schools and I can't even begin to describe how many Aidans and Emmas I see! Those names definitely had a major spike in popularity.

Now that I think of it, my daughter's name might be considered weird by some, but it's actually a pretty old fashioned name.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Cehrabehra said:

Acacia, how is that pronounced, and is there a meaning behind it?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like unusual names, but think that common names spelled in "unique" ways will, in the future, have proven to be a trend for our time-period. Some of them are just too oddly spelt, IMO, and look unprofessional in a business setting.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Nashville said:
Cehrabehra said:

I find Acacia so cute and funny,because here in Italy,acacia is an honey variety :razz:

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Asu said:
Nashville said:
Cehrabehra said:

I find Acacia so cute and funny,because here in Italy,acacia is an honey variety :razz:

Haha that is cute!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I'm not into unique names. I like the old and classic names. All of the choices I had for my daughter's name made the top 10 list :tongue:

I will say though that the more unique the name, the easier the person is to find on facebook lol. I've been trying to find a long lost friend on FB but her name is so common that there is no way I'll ever find her :lol:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Acacia is an ancient, albeit rarely contemporary name. It is a species of tree like willow or ash, found frequently in Africa but also southern north America and Asia. It means thorny and immortal. The bible says tat the arc of the covenant was carved of acacia wood. Originally from Greek origins AKAKIA, the universal spelling is acacia so I chose that version. You actually see it more often spelled Akaysha which is exactly how it sounds in English (a-kay-shuh). In Spanish it has 4 syllables: ah-kah-see-ah... Like the name Alicia. Her middle and last names together mean peace so her name means immortal peace.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
We're in the old fashioned/classic names camp. I like Willow and Freyja, but they don't mesh well with our kids' names. I have a soft spot for earthy names.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My name is Reannan (pronounced Re-Ann-An) Renee.

Fleetwood Mac beat out the family name of Micheline (Italian ve :bigsmile: rsion of Michelle- was my Great- Nanas name)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and the reason there is acacia honey is because the bees drink the nectar from acacia trees. Here in china we ate acacia flowers right off the trees in the spring they were so sweet and nectar laden.

All of my kids names are really old but almost never used though of late Rowan is becoming used a lot for girls and I did change the spelling of beacher from beecher.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
OMG. I've been WAITING for a thread like this ever since Lily was born! The following is absolutely TRUE!!

We got friendly with a couple of the nurses and she told us the 3 worst names EVER!!

1. Shithead (pronounced Sha-theed)
2. Uterus (pronounced OO-tear -as)
Those were twins!
3. Placenta (she just thought it sounded pretty!)

Those poor poor children. :sick:

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny said:
OMG. I've been WAITING for a thread like this ever since Lily was born! The following is absolutely TRUE!!

We got friendly with a couple of the nurses and she told us the 3 worst names EVER!!

1. Shithead (pronounced Sha-theed)
2. Uterus (pronounced OO-tear -as)
Those were twins!
3. Placenta (she just thought it sounded pretty!)

Those poor poor children. :sick:
:-o :knockout:

My parents had a thing for different spellings and fairly unique names. It's not so bad for my name because other people also spell it that way, but my sister has a spelling that is completely unique. We're French-Canadians, and her name ends with "ann" rather than the more French-like "anne" or "ane", so people sometimes assume it's English and try to pronounce it in English. The result would often sound something like "Alien"... We teased her sooo much with that one. :devil: My brother has a traditional spelling, but his name itself is not so common here, more so in France, so he got teased with that.

I'm not into unique names at all. I've had to spell my first name and last name all my life and find it very tiresome, so we gave our son traditional biblical names with traditional spelling.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My husband had a client at his old job named L-A.

Pronounced Luh-dash-ah. *sigh*

Honestly, I'm more a fan of traditional names, although I've heard some lovely unique ones as well! I think sometimes it gets a little crazy though!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nashville said:
I know some kids with pretty "out there" names, and maybe a few years ago I would have been like "HUH?!" but these days unusual is the norm. Everyone wants their kids to have such unusual names that now it's the kids with names like "Henry" and "Sarah" that stand out in their class!

I volunteer at a few difference schools and I can't even begin to describe how many Aidans and Emmas I see! Those names definitely had a major spike in popularity.

Now that I think of it, my daughter's name might be considered weird by some, but it's actually a pretty old fashioned name.

My son's name is Aidan...

I don't know, I guess I'm too conventional to go all out and give my kid an unusual name. I'd rather have a common name than a more unusual name with weird connotations. For example the name Marley, sure it's a little unique, but why would I want to give my kid a name that reminds people of a pot smoking Rastafarian musician?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
My full name is Margarita (Rita for short) :cheeky: and I used to sit next to a girl at work named Tequila!

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Hudson_Hawk said:
Nashville said:

My son's name is Aidan...

I don't know, I guess I'm too conventional to go all out and give my kid an unusual name. I'd rather have a common name than a more unusual name with weird connotations. For example the name Marley, sure it's a little unique, but why would I want to give my kid a name that reminds people of a pot smoking Rastafarian musician?

Ok? I like the name Aidan. A few years ago it would have been one of the more unusual names.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Since I process hospital paperwork, I see a lot of really interesting names. Just the other day I found a winner - Euneek Bob. Unique Bob. That's like a contradiction lol.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In Jewish tradition, you name a child after a loved one that has passed away, so we took the first initial of our grandparents to select our children's names. Our son's name is very popular, though it wasn't on the Top 25 list the year he was born (Nate) and our daughter is Halle. I think that's fairly unique, though I've heard of a couple of other people (other than Halle Berry) with that name. I loved Audrey and Claire, but hubby wasn't on board. We could barely agree on our son's name, so it's a good thing our second child was a girl or we'd still be trying to come up with a name, lol!

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire said:
In Jewish tradition, you name a child after a loved one that has passed away, so we took the first initial of our grandparents to select our children's names. Our son's name is very popular, though it wasn't on the Top 25 list the year he was born (Nate) and our daughter is Halle. I think that's fairly unique, though I've heard of a couple of other people (other than Halle Berry) with that name. I loved Audrey and Claire, but hubby wasn't on board. We could barely agree on our son's name, so it's a good thing our second child was a girl or we'd still be trying to come up with a name, lol!

That's such a sweet way to honor your grandparents.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I've always liked Layla for a girl and Graham for a boy.
I'm not sure I want children.
One of my cousins named his new baby girl Lilah...I hope if I have a daughter and name her Layla they won't think I'm copying.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Nashville...of course, with Irma, Harold, Joseph and Bertha in the queue, we had to be pretty creative, lol! We ended up using some of their middle initials in addition to their first initials, because we couldn't find both first/middle names that we liked for our kids with their first initials....as much as I love tradition, sometimes it proves rather challenging. ;))

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire said:
Thanks Nashville...of course, with Irma, Harold, Joseph and Bertha in the queue, we had to be pretty creative, lol! We ended up using some of their middle initials in addition to their first initials, because we couldn't find both first/middle names that we liked for our kids with their first initials....as much as I love tradition, sometimes it proves rather challenging. ;))

Hehe, Harold and Joseph are nice. You don't hear many Harolds anymore, but I think Harry is an adorable name.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine are London and Trapper. I was one of 4 Melissa's between my class and my brother's. Tho 2 went by Missy, one by Melissa, and I was the only Missi.

I like unusual names, but when then names are like some mentioned (Placenta instantly springs to mind) I just..wow. Granted, I gave my kids names that are out of the everyday but they aren't outlandish by any stretch of the imagination.

I had a super close friend for a few years (just found her on FB after 10 years!) and her real name is Tnedicca-which is accident spelled backwards. Nice.

I saw a child named Warren Peace. And his last name? Long.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results