color
clarity

#JOTW Unheated 9.5 carat sapphire ring

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOW! WOW! Etc etc etc etc.
INCREDIBLE!
I agree with Lilysweet....what a fabulous Grandmother you have! Please make it safe in it’s setting.
Enjoy it it’s fantastic!
:love::appl::love::appl::love::appl:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely Gorgeous!!!!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondsareagirls I have heard of Stone Group Labs, and I believe they are based in Jefferson City, Missouri. However they are not well known in the USA, and for a stone as magnificent as yours, you need the best cert available. In the USA that would be AGL and I would go for their Prestige Grading Report.

Your stone is likely valued close to six figures, and figuring out how to ship it to a lab might be a problem. I myself would probably travel to NY and hand deliver the stone to AGL. Of course you only really need a cert if you ever intend to sell the stone, but it sure would be nice for you to know for certain the stone's Country of origin and any treatments!

PS. I hope you are keeping this beauty in a safe!!!!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! You are one lucky woman! That is a treasure!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, I second sending the stone to AGL to get a full certificate done on it. Lotus is great but you would have to ship the stone to Thailand and back again which can be difficult and costly for something that size.

MrsWooster

Rough_Rock
What an incredibly beautiful ring - and how wonderful that it has been handed down through your family. Please keep us updated on the story if you find out more. Truly lovely! :love:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
This is the dream ring of half this forum! Wiw and wow again! It’s a good thing I’m a ruby girl of I would be jealous. Wear it in good health!

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium

janemicloud

Rough_Rock
I am on a roll B32E2585-A9D6-4E48-BC3B-CC9BF10751D2.jpeg today with SMTB. I have also posted this ring last year in the vintage forum. This is an unheated 9.5 carat Burmese sapphire. It was my grandmother’s, but I am not sure if it was given to her or inherited. The style is Art Deco so I think probably given to her or purchased by her as she was born in 1922. It was bigger but I chipped it and had it recut. 277A543A-FEB2-41AE-A033-994C54EDE74E.jpeg

janemicloud

Rough_Rock
What a gorgeous stone and timlesss setting! Your grandmother had great taste !

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It fell out?

IT FELL OUT???

Oh mother of all things shiny...!!! Big gulp over here....

I agree, tho - rebuild rather than replace. Would love to have known its original specs!

Congratulations on one of the most stunning pieces on Pricescope!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FWIW here's what the right certs will do for the value of a sapphire: WWW

I think we can safely say this sapphire is not precision cut! =)2

Last edited:

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
FWIW here's what the right certs will do for the value of a sapphire: WWW

I think we can safely say this sapphire is not precision cut! =)2

I am going to do it! Is Stone Group Labs totally unreputable or just not as prestigious? Does AGL also look at emeralds? I posted this bracelet that did not go undergo any testing, but the same jeweler that alerted me to the sapphire thinks it is also untreated. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-and-diamond-bracelet.247568/

Out of curiosity, what is a precision cut?

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would also love some opinions on whether to rebuild the original setting or make a whole new ring? I have always thought to keep the same design as it's unique and sentimental, but maybe there are better ideas. Bigger side diamonds that are ACAs? A halo? Is there somebody recommended to make the ring or should I stay with my local jeweler that has been very helpful? Thank you for any help!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I am on a roll B32E2585-A9D6-4E48-BC3B-CC9BF10751D2.jpeg today with SMTB. I have also posted this ring last year in the vintage forum. This is an unheated 9.5 carat Burmese sapphire. It was my grandmother’s, but I am not sure if it was given to her or inherited. The style is Art Deco so I think probably given to her or purchased by her as she was born in 1922. It was bigger but I chipped it and had it recut. 277A543A-FEB2-41AE-A033-994C54EDE74E.jpeg
WOWOWOW!!!!! Draw dropping gorgeous!!! Omg!!! And yes, please please please make sure it’s set securely as @Bron357 mentioned.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to do it! Is Stone Group Labs totally unreputable or just not as prestigious? Does AGL also look at emeralds? I posted this bracelet that did not go undergo any testing, but the same jeweler that alerted me to the sapphire thinks it is also untreated. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-and-diamond-bracelet.247568/

Hi there, I just want to say that I’m available for a “mature age adoption” :lol:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Stone Group seems to be a relatively new lab and are definitely not prestigious. I don't know if they have the expertise to correctly identify Country of origin, but as you can see, the owner of that million dollar sapphire sent the stone to three highly prestigious labs to prove beyond doubt it was from Kashmir.

The term precision cut means a gem has been cut by a master gem cutter to maximize the beauty and light return of a stone. A native cut stone, while often beautiful, has usually been cut by a local craftsman, who doesn't have access to sophisticated cutting and measuring equipment. It's incredible Bonhams are trying to sell a million dollar stone with only one photo, but it sure looks like the facet sizes are all over the place. It's likely the stone was cut locally to maximize weight, and all other considerations went out the window. In this case it's the Kashmir origin and extraordinary carat weight driving the price. Stones like this are so rare buyers will excuse the cut, although I dare say if it also had a great cut, the price would be even higher.

Yes, AGL do emeralds, in the USA they are by far the most prestigious lab for all colored gemstones. Your emerald bracelet is stunning! It's customary for labs to test only one stone when a submitted piece has multiple stones. If the first of the four large emeralds tests as Columbian with no treatment, it might be worthwhile to arrange for AGL to also test the other three stones at the same time.

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondsareagirls, just wanted to add the odds of your sapphire being from Kashmir are extremely low, so please don't get your hopes up. However 9.5cts untreated from Ceylon will still be very valuable.

If those beautiful emeralds are the size I think they are, and they test as untreated Columbian, you have a second very valuable piece on your hands. Please tell us your jewelry is in a very safe place!!

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Well holy cow you have a couple of magnificient pieces. I drooled over your braclet awhile back. Congrats on owning such amazing jewelry.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous- love the deco styling of the mount, as well!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is absolutely magnificent!:love::love::love::love::love: A ring worthy of a princess!

I'd try to rehab the original mount. It is fabulous! An expert on jewelry restoration is cjd_sako on Instagram. His father is also a gem cutter if the stone needed any further polishing.

And under no circumstances would I let that stone out of my sight without significant insurance coverage. I'd consider hand delivering to AGL labs, but that's all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results