shape
carat
color
clarity

UK and other non-US PSers. What e-rings and wedding bands do you see locally?

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
I actually already have my upgrade, though too shy / paranoid to start a thread! I'll just keep it to a quick peek here for you guys. 1.3ct K VVS2 EC, medium blue fluor, in a basic WG setting from Blue Nile. Size 4. Modelled by a 7 year old (who already has bigger hands than me...) perched on a cat! IMG_20210228_102627718.jpg
This definitely needs its own thread - it is absolutely stunning.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually already have my upgrade, though too shy / paranoid to start a thread! I'll just keep it to a quick peek here for you guys. 1.3ct K VVS2 EC, medium blue fluor, in a basic WG setting from Blue Nile. Size 4. Modelled by a 7 year old (who already has bigger hands than me...) perched on a cat! IMG_20210228_102627718.jpg

:appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl:
Thank you for showing us
please don't be shy
That's a lucky wee girl, the beautiful hand model =)2

im the shyist person in the world and i have mall jewlery ...and i still show it :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, not having been anywhere or seen anyone for nearly a year, I can only speak to my friends 2 kids who’ve recently married.

Her son’s wife has a 1.1 ct emerald cut on a plain band, with a diamond wedding band, and her daughter has a half carat round in a fairly ornate setting with pave, and again a diamond wedding band.

Love an emerald cut :appl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I shall love halos and white metals forever too!

Trends, what trends? Never followed trends and am not going to start now at my old age!

DK :lol-2:

:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

I have a freind older than me who is always way too concerned about being fashionable and defers to her daughter for fashion advice when my freind has a lovelly tall figur who would look so much better in her own personal style - not whats trendy

its too tragic

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MillieLou everyone said how nice my EC is, being that big and an unusual cut as they all have round MRBs under 0.5ct or small CS rings, which is nice, however, it does make me kind of self-conscious to wear it out and about on daily chores.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MillieLou everyone said how nice my EC is, being that big and an unusual cut as they all have round MRBs under 0.5ct or small CS rings, which is nice, however, it does make me kind of self-conscious to wear it out and about on daily chores.

You just need to find the right song to sing in your head !

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You just need to find the right song to sing in your head !

How about "Simply The Best" from Tina Turner?

I LOVE that song, and it is one of my favourite pick me ups, along with ABBA's Dancing Queen and Village People's YMCA.

Showing my age, I know!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about "Simply The Best" from Tina Turner?

I LOVE that song, and it is one of my favourite pick me ups, along with ABBA's Dancing Queen and Village People's YMCA.

Showing my age, I know!

Sound perfect DK

Now you and Tina rock that rock !
(Or Frida & Agnetha, the cowboy, construction worker,native American and ... umm the others :D

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I live in a city of about 55,000 in Virginia. I think most e-rings here are smaller than what is customary in larger metropolitan cities. I would hazard .25-1ct as average, but there are many halos pieced together or mosaic center stones for the appearance of a larger center.

Last edited:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@MillieLou love your EC engagement ring! Agreed with others it needs her own thread.
Even if I live in the States but my social circle isn’t American, none of my friend wear 1ct or above, I think my 0.8ct ering is the biggest ering. Others which got married around 2002-2010ish got 0.3-0.6ct solitaire, three stones MRB, halo, princess cut.

My friends back in my home country (high 30s) usually have 0.2-0.3ct or some none, for older generation ering wasn’t a thing at all. I think it began circulating in my generation (high 30s-low 40s). Now its common to have ering, the 30s and below start having ering from American culture I think. Back in my home country I think the biggest ering in my social circle owned by my SIL, which I help to get it from B2Cjewel, it was 1ct D VS2. My other SIL get 0.9ct D VS2 which found by me too. Buttttt!!!!!! None of them wear it o_O they only wear it when there’s a partyo_Oo_O my SIL who got the 1ct said she’s afraid to get it dirty&dull... she might wear it once-twice a year:lol-2::lol-2:

Now that I owned a 2.8ct with halo, I don’t think I can wear it if I went back to my home country, because its extremely not safe, I’m afraid I got robbed in the middle of the road.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Living in the UAE there is no such thing as too big or too bling. Upgrades and resets are super common because its a tax free environment, diamonds are reasonable priced, often with a transparent spread over Rapaport, and bench work is cheap. Crime (especially burglary) is virtually nonexistent, no one locks their doors here day or night if you live on a villa compound.

Hence my exploding jewellery box and rampant addiction to collecting. And the fact that my (upgraded twice) e ring is 4.06ct.

But I have a plan to downgrade it when I move permanently elsewhere and have kept my E colour, 0.33ct original centre stone for if I’d ever go back to the U.K. at which point I will revert to the original design I had, albeit with better quality side stones. Perfect quality but teensy by Middle East standards.

My collection will go into a bank vault for my daughters and I will keep out only the modestly sized coloured stone rings that won’t attract the attention of Mr Crackhead and his gang of burglars.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
@Ionysis

Ah thanks. When we're allowed to wear jewellery to work again, I'll give it a try and see how it feels. I don't think anyone will pay attention where I work!

@MillieLou love your EC engagement ring! Agreed with others it needs her own thread.
Even if I live in the States but my social circle isn’t American, none of my friend wear 1ct or above, I think my 0.8ct ering is the biggest ering. Others which got married around 2002-2010ish got 0.3-0.6ct solitaire, three stones MRB, halo, princess cut.

My friends back in my home country (high 30s) usually have 0.2-0.3ct or some none, for older generation ering wasn’t a thing at all. I think it began circulating in my generation (high 30s-low 40s). Now its common to have ering, the 30s and below start having ering from American culture I think. Back in my home country I think the biggest ering in my social circle owned by my SIL, which I help to get it from B2Cjewel, it was 1ct D VS2. My other SIL get 0.9ct D VS2 which found by me too. Buttttt!!!!!! None of them wear it o_O they only wear it when there’s a partyo_Oo_O my SIL who got the 1ct said she’s afraid to get it dirty&dull... she might wear it once-twice a year:lol-2::lol-2:

Now that I owned a 2.8ct with halo, I don’t think I can wear it if I went back to my home country, because its extremely not safe, I’m afraid I got robbed in the middle of the road.

That's a shame that your SILs only wear their gorgeous-sounding rings once or twice a year! What is your home country Munchee? Sorry if I missed it.

Living in the UAE there is no such thing as too big or too bling. Upgrades and resets are super common because its a tax free environment, diamonds are reasonable priced, often with a transparent spread over Rapaport, and bench work is cheap. Crime (especially burglary) is virtually nonexistent, no one locks their doors here day or night if you live on a villa compound.

Hence my exploding jewellery box and rampant addiction to collecting. And the fact that my (upgraded twice) e ring is 4.06ct.

But I have a plan to downgrade it when I move permanently elsewhere and have kept my E colour, 0.33ct original centre stone for if I’d ever go back to the U.K. at which point I will revert to the original design I had, albeit with better quality side stones. Perfect quality but teensy by Middle East standards.

My collection will go into a bank vault for my daughters and I will keep out only the modestly sized coloured stone rings that won’t attract the attention of Mr Crackhead and his gang of burglars.

UAE sounds like a bling paradise! Why is crime / burglary so infrequent? LOL at Mr Crackhead and his gang of burglars, yep you will definitely bump into them in Manchester on a weekend night...

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
89% of the population are expatriates and everyone here has to have a job - you can’t come to the country and get a visa unless you’re sponsored by an employer. And you can’t stay if you lose your job.

Also your fingerprints, a blood sample and eye scan are taken in order to process your visa or issue your ID Card.

And there are cameras on all roads, with facial recognition technology, CCTV literally everywhere and plain clothes CID officers mixing at all times with people in bars and other public places.

If an expatriate gets caught committing a crime you and any dependants are deported and banned from re entering the country so few people would risk it - given there is full employment.

There is an extremely generous social security regime for the local population whereby the country’s wealth is distributed widely - unlike countries like Saudi where the royal family retained most of the oil wealth for themselves, leaving a vast poorer underclass. There is therefore no need for local people to commit crimes such as theft.

There is a zero tolerance policy on all drugs and driving after consuming any alcohol at all is a crime. Public intoxication is not allowed and there is a strong culture of restraint, respect, politeness and family values. Insulting someone is a crime as is using profanity in public speech or writing.

There are police patrol cars who drive around looking for people who are carefully obeying the road rules so they can stop them and give them a commendation and cash reward for their good driving. They are called the Police Traffic Happiness Patrol. Government offices have Customer Happiness Centres where feedback is taken from everyone who uses them to improve the quality of service.

If you get Covid here and live alone the Health Authority phone you every day to check on your well-being, you have a special number to call for an ambulance if you need it, medical staff come to your house for follow up testing and you get three meals provided daily until you’re well.

It’s ranked 9th safest country in the world by Gallup.

We have been here for 15 years and find it an excellent place to raise a family.

Last edited:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
89% of the population are expatriates and everyone here has to have a job - you can’t come to the country and get a visa unless you’re sponsored by an employer. And you can’t stay if you lose your job.

Also your fingerprints, a blood sample and eye scan are taken in order to process your visa or issue your ID Card.

And there are cameras on all roads, with facial recognition technology, CCTV literally everywhere and plain clothes CID officers mixing at all times with people in bars and other public places.

If an expatriate gets caught committing a crime you and any dependants are deported and banned from re entering the country so few people would risk it - given there is full employment.

There is an extremely generous social security regime for the local population whereby the country’s wealth is distributed widely - unlike countries like Saudi where the royal family retained most of the oil wealth for themselves, leaving a vast poorer underclass. There is therefore no need for local people to commit crimes such as theft.

There is a zero tolerance policy on all drugs and driving after consuming any alcohol at all is a crime. Public intoxication is not allowed and there is a strong culture of restraint, respect, politeness and family values. Insulting someone is a crime as is using profanity in public speech or writing.

There are police patrol cars who drive around looking for people who are carefully obeying the road rules so they can stop them and give them a commendation and cash reward for their good driving. They are called the Police Traffic Happiness Patrol. Government offices have Customer Happiness Centres where feedback is taken from everyone who uses them to improve the quality of service.

If you get Covid here and live alone the Health Authority phone you every day to check on your well-being, you have a special number to call for an ambulance if you need it, medical staff come to your house for follow up testing and you get three meals provided daily until you’re well.

It’s ranked 9th safest country in the world by Gallup.

We have been here for 15 years and find it an excellent place to raise a family.
When can I move there? :):devil::bigsmile:

Seriously I am fascinated. My job interfaces with the criminal justice system, and we pull our hair out over seemingly intractable issues like poverty related crime, gang membership, generational cycles of abuse and criminality, etc. It's amazing and heartening to hear that crime isn't inevitable. Thank you for sharing.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Poverty, fragmented families and lack of education have to be some of the biggest contributory factors to crime I would have thought. None of those are really significant factors here.

Also whilst divorce is quite common amongst the local population, families are very large, and blended, and it’s considered unspeakably disgraceful not to provide and support your family(ies). A huge proportion of social interaction is amongst extended family members which keeps youngsters on the right track as it would be tarnishing the family name to do something criminal.

Without doubt there IS some crime here, impossible to eradicate totally, but it’s really very infrequent.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

May i ask what your home country is ?

Tell your brothers to buy ultrasonic cleaners for their wives

What a pity not to wear them

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @maryjane04 , lots of solitaires and ovals at the moment. Cushion cut was popular a couple of years ago with halos. I’ve had 2 nieces get engaged and one choose a Tiffany style solitaire 0.80ct and the other a half carat pear halo. I myself got a half carat for my engagement ring years ago and upgraded to a 1.15ct ideal cut solitaire for my a milestone birthday.

Most of my friends/family have very modest sized diamond rings. Only one has close to a 3 carat with a halo. They wouldn’t dream of spending a fortune on a diamond, but everyone is different and each to their own. We are not all obsessed :love:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
May i ask what your home country is ?

Tell your brothers to buy ultrasonic cleaners for their wives

What a pity not to wear them

They have industrial cleaner that can be use anytime for them as we work in jewelry industry back home :lol-2::lol-2: so cleaning is not a problem at all.. I also think that it’s an insult for their beautiful ring:lol-2: being stored in a dark safe all the time
They live in Indonesia.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They have industrial cleaner that can be use anytime for them as we work in jewelry industry back home :lol-2::lol-2: so cleaning is not a problem at all.. I also think that it’s an insult for their beautiful ring:lol-2: being stored in a dark safe all the time
They live in Indonesia.

Oh so sad for their beautiful rings
They need to go on an overseas holiday to visit you (well not right now...)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

0h my god, I am dead!

PLEASE, PLEASE START A THREAD ON THIS! You don't have to write heaps, just post millions of pictures!

And when we are allowed out again, you & i are meeting for coffee so that I can dribble, as we live so close to each other!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
0h my god, I am dead!

PLEASE, PLEASE START A THREAD ON THIS! You don't have to write heaps, just post millions of pictures!

And when we are allowed out again, you & i are meeting for coffee so that I can dribble, as we live so close to each other!

:lol: You are so lovely @Alex T !! I am totally up for meeting for coffee once Boris lets us out of our pens. Though advance warning, I will be like this with your gorgeous bling: Side eye.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: You are so lovely @Alex T !! I am totally up for meeting for coffee once Boris lets us out of our pens. Though advance warning, I will be like this with your gorgeous bling: Side eye.jpg

:lol: :lol: If that's me & you meeting for coffee, then I'd love to see how we'd dress for a night of cocktails!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really enjoying this thread! I’m American. Married 1994: 1ct round on yellow gold band. I remember first time loooong ago (bf Internet/upgrade policies), hearing someone at work got an upgrade. It really didn’t compute. More bling or anniversary ring I could understand but how’s it an ER if you got it after being married years & years?? Well, that’s old news now.
Most east coast professional women get a 2ctw solitaire now. While metals strongly went to white, yellow gold (and rose) are back.
My British friends have smaller solitaires or 3-stones. Going into debt for a ring sounds crazy to me, when you’re just starting out.

MrsDiamondHeart

Rough_Rock
I’m so interested in the different attitudes to ERs in the US vs the UK and @motownmama your comment about east coast professional women having a 2ct solitaire now makes me wonder if this is connected to people getting married slightly older, and having established careers before doing so.

Most of my (London, uni educated, professional) circle got married in our late 20’s, very early 30s (think 2002/2003) and our careers, whilst established, weren’t necessarily high earning at that point. We were all buying our first flats and just didn’t have the sort of money that buys you a serious diamond. And the idea of borrowing money or financing an ER was unheard of.

Maybe now, with people marrying more into their mid 30s and later, that income level is more established and the ring is more substantial.

Do you think that’s true for the US? That professional couples are marrying later and have higher incomes? Or is it just a cultural thing that you should have a spectacular diamond and people use credit for that?

My west coast based UK born friend upgraded his wife’s (silver and semi precious stone) engagement ring to a T&Co solitaire, spent what he thought was a fortune, and her friends describe it as ‘cute’. When I saw it, I described it as ‘wow’!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so interested in the different attitudes to ERs in the US vs the UK and @motownmama your comment about east coast professional women having a 2ct solitaire now makes me wonder if this is connected to people getting married slightly older, and having established careers before doing so.

Most of my (London, uni educated, professional) circle got married in our late 20’s, very early 30s (think 2002/2003) and our careers, whilst established, weren’t necessarily high earning at that point. We were all buying our first flats and just didn’t have the sort of money that buys you a serious diamond. And the idea of borrowing money or financing an ER was unheard of.

Maybe now, with people marrying more into their mid 30s and later, that income level is more established and the ring is more substantial.

Do you think that’s true for the US? That professional couples are marrying later and have higher incomes? Or is it just a cultural thing that you should have a spectacular diamond and people use credit for that?

My west coast based UK born friend upgraded his wife’s (silver and semi precious stone) engagement ring to a T&Co solitaire, spent what he thought was a fortune, and her friends describe it as ‘cute’. When I saw it, I described it as ‘wow’!

BINGO!!! “East coast” was a pretty broad term for me to use. NYC- metro area! Marrying early 30s, advanced degrees, dual incomes.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I ask, why is it inappropriate to talk about your jewelry in the UK and what is “ high street”.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results