shape
carat
color
clarity

Tweets from a lunatic

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And who are the 13,430 morons who "liked" that tweet?! Not to mention the 11,029 who retweeted it...?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The word of course is suppose to be coverage. I really suspect he fell asleep at this time.

Annette

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And who are the 13,430 morons who "liked" that tweet?! Not to mention the 11,029 who retweeted it...?

Maybe they're not morons... maybe they're bots!

This is one article, there are a slew more (just google Trump twitter bots).

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-twitter-followers-fake-617873

NEARLY HALF OF DONALD TRUMP'S TWITTER FOLLOWS ARE FAKE ACCOUNTS AND BOTS

Anyone can amass an exorbitant number of Twitter followers. You don't even have to be famous. All you have to do is pay for them. The comedian Joe Mande currently has a healthy 1.01 million followers, but his bio contains a caveat: "twitter is trash, facebook's the devil, i bought a million followers for like $400 none of this shit matters antarctica is melting."

Mande even explained the stunt last November in The New Yorker. "The simplest way to tell who’s winning the Twitter game is by counting followers," he wrote. "The biggest celebrity accounts—Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga—seem to have millions of followers. But in 2012 I learned that only a portion of those are real humans; some are 'bots,' artificially created to boost an account’s popularity. Immediately, I knew that I had found my calling."

Because Donald Trump is the president of the United States and the most famous person on the planet, one wouldn't think he would need to employ a bot to boost his Twitter following. It appears, however, he might have done just that. As screenwriter John Niven pointed out Tuesday morning, Trump's Twitter account saw an unusual spike in followers over the weekend, many of which appear to have been created artificially.

Trump currently has 31 million followers and, sure enough, if you browse through them you will find an unusual number of tweet-less, picture-less accounts that joined the service in May 2017. If you're still curious, you can enter Trump's handle, @realDonaldTrump, into Twitter Audit, a service that assesses the authenticity of one's followers, and find that only 51 percent of Trump's are real.

This isn't the first time someone has pointed out that a good portion of Trump's Twitter following is fake, but what's interesting is that its fakeness seems to be increasing. In January, journalist Yashar Ali ran an audit on Trump's Twitter account and found that 68 percent of his then-20 million followers were real. Now he's at 30 million followers, but only 51 percent are real, which means of 10 million followers Trump has gained since January, about 8.3 million are fake.

In April 2016, when Trump was beginning to gain traction as a serious candidate to at least win the Republican presidential nomination, the former reality TV star had a mere 7.58 million followers, only 8 percent of which were fake, according to FiveThirtyEight. It's not surprising that as Trump's global profile has skyrocketed in the past 13 months, so too have the number of bots attached to his Twitter account—but it's astonishing how much the percentage of his followers that are fake has risen.

So is Trump actually buying new followers? We'll probably never know, but there seems to be nothing more important to Trump than how his fame relates to that of other public figures, and it can't sit well with the president that there are currently 31 accounts with more followers than his. One of those accounts is that of Barack Obama, which boasts a whopping 89 million followers, good for third-most in the world behind Katy Perry and Justin Bieber.

In case you're wondering, 79 percent of Obama's followers are real.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well so much for having lawyers review his tweets before he sends them! I knew that was probably too good to be true. Once again we look like a nation of idiots for putting him in office.

I read last night that Pence will be hitting campaign trail this summer targeting red states. Republicans are getting nervous about a mid-term wipe out.

DeeJay, It would make sense that he or people who work for him are buying followers. He won't be happy until he thinks he has more followers than anyone else in the country.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 8.38.18 AM.png

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I remember when we had a president who didn't publicly cry about every insult thrown his way, no matter how gross or inappropriate. Too bad Trump, our special snowflake, can't measure up. By using his child in this way, he only intensifies the attention paid to him - something an actual decent father wouldn't do.

IMG_5132.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't agree with the two wrongs making a right approach some are implying in their tweets. Its all way out of bounds and gross. But I agree that somebody needs to call a Whaaaambulance for Trump because he is SUCH a special snowflake.

E B

Ideal_Rock
It's still unclear whether he was serious, but some journalists who were in the room say he looked completely serious as he said it. This could not be more of a perfect example of them acting as a parody of themselves. :lol: I'm pretty sure SNL writers had already come up with this exact scenario.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/869990976466460672

Last edited:

E B

Ideal_Rock

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 8.03.04 PM.png

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
America is getting exactly what most of it voted for.

I can't count the number of times a month my husband makes that exact same statement Kristie. Great minds think alike.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Except...most of America didn't vote for it...

Hi Sonnyjane, I know that HRC won the popular vote, but Dump still won enough votes, and *female* votes, that it still goes down hard and makes me unsympathetic to the people who either voted for him or failed to vote at all.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does Spicer have any shred of self-respect left?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was hilarious Mary Poppins.

I still think Trump is taking whatever it is that Tiger is taking! Trump decided to tweet while Tiger decided to drive.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think more than half the country feels as Dan Rather does.
Nahhh...We aren't that crazy yet...
nuts.gif

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
In case anyone wants to know why HRC is my f-ing spirit animal and I (unapologetically) love her, this is why. I almost started a new thread because it's that amazing.

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 7.51.55 PM.png
Oh my goodness, Love.. I was just saying to the DH this morning, say what you will about HRC, but that was one funny tweet!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was this really up on Twitter? If so, who were the people who posted the comments below Donald Trump's comments? Are they still on the Internet? (I do not get Twitter.)

IMG_5129.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results