shape
carat
color
clarity

Tweets from a lunatic

katharath

Ideal_Rock
This was written by one of my colleagues. He won teacher of the year. Very powerful and very telling of who we have sitting in the White House....

https://www.facebook.com/NikosG/posts/10104677596027003

I always wonder about the people in these group photos - what their actual experience of meeting our awful president is *really* like. So naturally, I was very interested to read this account. Like Callie said, it's what one would expect. All flash, no depth - everything he does is for the photo op/ratings/voter approval. What a despicable "man" he is.

I think it's great that your colleague has written about this. Big congrats on his accomplishments, of course, but also for writing honestly about his experience! Thank you for sharing it with us here.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing, Soxfan! Wow, that's a really powerful account of his experience, and he seems like an awesome person.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
So under interview comments by a lunatic:
(and it goes without saying that that Jackson died in 1845, Civil War began 1861)

upload_2017-5-1_8-55-23.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard that Frederick Douglass is actually the one who phoned Donald Trump to tell him that Andrew Jackson would have prevented The Civil War, so don't dismiss this theory so quickly. :read:

AGBF

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think maybe Fredrick Douglass, Pavarotti (look up that fun quote if you're unfamiliar), and Andrew Jackson need to be invited to the White House. They seem like the greatest people, believe me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think maybe Fredrick Douglass, Pavarotti (look up that fun quote if you're unfamiliar), and Andrew Jackson need to be invited to the White House. They seem like the greatest people, believe me.

You're going to make me WORK? Not everybody here is a college professor, missy!

Deb

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha @AGBF I was on my phone. Here's the quote. Be warned, you may want to pull your hair out. It was during the conference w. italian PM.

Through the ages your country has been a beacon of artistic and scientific achievement. That continues today. From Venice to Florence, from Verdi to Pavarotti—friend of mine. Great friend of mine.

Problem 1 is that Pavarotti has been dead for quite some time. Problem 2 is that his family requested that Trump not play his music at his rallies. Here's a quote from the family

However, Mr Pavarotti's family have previously asked Mr Trump to stop using the singer’s most famous aria - Nessun Dorma - at his campaign rallies.

"As members of his immediate family, we would like to recall that the values of brotherhood and solidarity which Luciano Pavarotti expressed throughout the course of his artistic career are entirely incompatible with the world view offered by the candidate Donald Trump," the family said in a statement to the press.

Nothing to see here. Just SCROTUS being THE. WORST.....again.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about Douglass, Pavarotti or Jackson, but Chump's certainly invited Rodrigo Duterte... That seems like EXACTLY the kind of message we want to be sending -- human rights? We don't need no stinkin' human rights!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ntroversial-philippines-leader-to-white-house

Trump Invites Controversial Philippines Leader To White House

During a "very friendly" phone conversation, President Donald Trump invited Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte to the White House, signaling a massive shift in attitude from the U.S. toward a leader known best for inciting an extrajudicial war on drugs in his country that's killed more than 7,500 people.

Duterte also publicly attacked Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama, multiple times last year, once calling Obama the "son of a whore," before walking that statement back. In October, Duterte said Obama could "go to hell" and he also threatened to "break up" with the U.S.

A statement from the White House said Trump invited Duterte to discuss the "importance of the United States-Philippines alliance," and that the two also talked about "the fact that the Philippine government is fighting very hard to rid its country of drugs."

The tactics Duterte has used to wage that battle, since he was elected in June, have garnered global reprimands.

"Do your duty, and in the process, you kill 1,000 persons, I will protect you," Duterte told police on July 1, the day after he was sworn in, Michael Sullivan reported for NPR.

The Philippines president has also been accused of encouraging civilians to kill people attempting to buy or sell drugs.

"Forget the laws on human rights," he said in his final campaign speech before he was elected. In September, he compared himself to Adolf Hitler.

In December, Duterte released a statement saying Trump had told him he was conducting his war on drugs "the right way." Less than three weeks later, the top human rights official with the United Nations called for the Philippines leader to be investigated for murder.

It isn't the first time since Trump has taken office that he has looked past a leader's human rights issues, in an effort to strengthen ties.

Trump called Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier this month, to congratulate him on a victory that gave the authoritarian leader increased power, and the two are scheduled to meet in person in Washington next month.

The White House also hosted Egyptian leader Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi a few weeks ago, despite concerns about an Egyptian government that's sent tens of thousands of political dissidents to jail since the 2013 coup that brought el-Sissi to power.

"The Trump administration has been unfortunately silent as to the importance of American values," said Maryland Sen. Ben Cardin, the ranking Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, at the time.

Trump is scheduled to visit the Philippines in November to participate in a summit with the Association of South East Asian Nations.

The Philippines leads ASEAN, which just released a statement indicating its most lenient stance yet on China building and arming manmade islands in the South China Sea. Trump's administration has previously been vocal about the issues it had with China's island building there.

"We're going to have to send China a clear signal that, first, the island-building stops," Rex Tillerson, then secretary of state nominee, told senators in January. "And second, your access to those islands also is not going to be allowed."

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, apropos of nothing in this thread or any other, I just want to say that this is a terrible pic of my boy Justin. HOW on earth did they manage to take a bad photo of him?!

488x-1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The astounding lack of knowledge of our own history by an even more astounding number of Americans makes me cringe. Every time I see a "man on the street" interview segment that includes history questions I want to cry. It is not just Trump. The worst ones are interviews with college students.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The astounding lack of knowledge of our own history by an even more astounding number of Americans makes me cringe. Every time I see a "man on the street" interview segment that includes history questions I want to cry. It is not just Trump. The worst ones are interviews with college students.

Yes...and I had the great pleasure of teaching high school history!

:read:

After having painstakingly explained Nazi Germany to my sophomores, I once gave a quiz (or test). I asked them on it to tell me what "The Night of Long Knives" was. (It was when Hitler's SA, the Brown Shirts, were purged by the SS, the Black Shirts, as he used one of his factions against another to consolidate his power.) I cannot tell you how pleased I was to get an answer that said, in essence, "It was a night when Germans went out and if they saw a Jew they would kill him with a knife". It really meant they were listening to me!

Deb :wavey:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
You have really hit the nail on the head with this. I hated history in high school because it seemed like it was just taught in a way that utilized rote memorization of facts and dates. It wasn't until college that I became more interested in history. I can't, for the life of me, understand why the human element so often seems to be left out. To me, that's what history is all about. That is what makes history so incredibly compelling. Humans and there relationships and how the shortcomings and the strengths of leaders shape the world. Fascinating stuff. My husband is a HUGE history buff so I have been "forced" to learn all the stuff I forgot or never knew. I love it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

HAHAHA, they are most likely ideal guests: They don't eat or drink much (or complain about same) and they leave your bathroom pristine!!:razz::mrgreen::lol-2:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have really hit the nail on the head with this. I hated history in high school because it seemed like it was just taught in a way that utilized rote memorization of facts and dates. It wasn't until college that I became more interested in history. I can't, for the life of me, understand why the human element so often seems to be left out. To me, that's what history is all about. That is what makes history so incredibly compelling. Humans and there relationships and how the shortcomings and the strengths of leaders shape the world. Fascinating stuff. My husband is a HUGE history buff so I have been "forced" to learn all the stuff I forgot or never knew. I love it.

And let's not forget that History courses fell out of favor in terms of middle school and high school curricula beginning in the 1970s in favor of the 'readin', writin', and 'rithmetic people. :wall:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're absolutely right - people are what make history juicy and interesting. But they just flat out bleedin' DO NOT HAVE THE TIME. Period. Most states have ridiculous standards for what shall be taught in what grade, in mind-numbing amounts. There is just too much history! Consider, since I graduated from high school, nearly 40 more years have happened, yet there are no more hours in the teaching day. Something always has to give. Picking amongst all the important and/or interesting things is actually very difficult, especially when non-history teachers with ideological axes to grind, want to use history class as Indoctrination 101. There's a reason there aren't many software packages to automate the teaching of history, like there are with science and math: history is just too hotly political.

And let's not forget that History courses fell out of favor in terms of middle school and high school curricula beginning in the 1970s in favor of the 'readin', writin', and 'rithmetic people. :wall:

Word. I hear it's moving apace now at certain colleges. I seem to recall something along that line from a college(s) in Louisiana?

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
BTW, apropos of nothing in this thread or any other, I just want to say that this is a terrible pic of my boy Justin. HOW on earth did they manage to take a bad photo of him?!

488x-1.jpg

Canadians are so nice, maybe they won't mind if we switch our President for their Prime Minister.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Hahah!

Is anyone else scared that France will not learn from the UK and US and elect Marine Le Pen?

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
You're absolutely right - people are what make history juicy and interesting. But they just flat out bleedin' DO NOT HAVE THE TIME. Period. Most states have ridiculous standards for what shall be taught in what grade, in mind-numbing amounts. There is just too much history! Consider, since I graduated from high school, nearly 40 more years have happened, yet there are no more hours in the teaching day. Something always has to give. Picking amongst all the important and/or interesting things is actually very difficult, especially when non-history teachers with ideological axes to grind, want to use history class as Indoctrination 101. There's a reason there aren't many software packages to automate the teaching of history, like there are with science and math: history is just too hotly political.

All good points. I never actually thought about all the time it would require. I guess maybe civics?? Do they teach civics in school. I don't know what they are doing in school. I have no children. Getting awfully close to 40 years for me, too. When I start thinking about education-yikes!! I have teachers in my family, but they have all been retired for awhile. I have had lots of convos with them. The thing that makes me mental is when I hear about college kids needing remedial learning?? Is that really a thing?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All good points. I never actually thought about all the time it would require. I guess maybe civics?? Do they teach civics in school. I don't know what they are doing in school. I have no children. Getting awfully close to 40 years for me, too. When I start thinking about education-yikes!! I have teachers in my family, but they have all been retired for awhile. I have had lots of convos with them. The thing that makes me mental is when I hear about college kids needing remedial learning?? Is that really a thing?

There is overemphasis on testing ensuring kids don't have time to learn to actually think, and of course there is also grade inflation that doesn't help, but this another important piece of a problem with more than a few facets.

http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/high-achiever-remedial-college/

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

“The biggest tax cut plan in history,” the voice intones, without mentioning that Mr. Trump has yet to offer any legislation — or even a set of policy prescriptions — for reordering the tax code to achieve the enormous cuts for businesses and individuals that he has endorsed.

hahaha I LOVE the #failing new york times. They are wonderful.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
There is overemphasis on testing ensuring kids don't have time to learn to actually think, and of course there is also grade inflation that doesn't help, but this another important piece of a problem with more than a few facets.

http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/high-achiever-remedial-college/

Interesting article., thanks. You reference another one of my favs, critical thinking. So important, and yet, IMO, another reason we are in the mess we are in today with folks not being able to differentiate
opinion pieces from fact.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fallout from the wreckage caused by this administration is going to haunt us for a very long time :(

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...tion-advocate-to-lead-federal-family-planning

In a Huff Post article, this woman is claimed to have stated that there is an "undisputed" link between abortion and breast cancer.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...82ae4b05c397680d921?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
I am appalled that this absolutely ignorant and conspiracy-theorizing person is going to lead federal family planning. I have no problem if someone is pro-life--but I won't stand for people trying to legislate a woman's behavior based on their own personal beliefs. That doesn't work for me. And this woman is far beyond that. She claims nonsensical things like the link between abortion and cancer, and that somehow the morning after pill and other contraceptives are akin to abortion--which is just provably false.

If/when Trump is gone, this woman better be among the first to be ousted. I don't want her anywhere near government.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Hahah!

Is anyone else scared that France will not learn from the UK and US and elect Marine Le Pen?

Yes. I think if she actually gets elected, it will be an official omen that we're in the end times. Lol. Ok I'm joking, but the idea is terrifying.

(The analysis I read a week or so ago on Slate said that it was highly unlikely, so I'm not actually *that* worried, but I've been worried enough to spend some time thinking about it).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results