shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite Custom Ring via DanielM

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there some special significance in using all 5 of those stones? Like birthstones or something? That's a lot of different color in one ring. Do you often wear those colors together? Also, whats up with the cushiony bezel shapes for the garnets and the round ones for the sapphires?

Theres a lot of *stuff* going on in one ring...

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1369079436|3450644 said:
Is there some special significance in using all 5 of those stones? Like birthstones or something? That's a lot of different color in one ring. Do you often wear those colors together? Also, whats up with the cushiony bezel shapes for the garnets and the round ones for the sapphires?

I know MimB outside of PS, so I know that she's an artist and keenly aware of color. I'm pretty sure all these stones are matched in terms of saturation & hue, it was not a random or rash decision.

I think the same with the cushiony bezels -- the geometry echoes the tsavorite and makes the design more unique. The important thing is that DanielM carries it out smoothly.

Mim, one thing I'd go over carefully in the cads is the place where the gold joins the silver. What's the transition going to be like?

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Everyone, thanks! I am certainly really enjoying the creative process... :)

FrekeChild said:

Freke,
I agree, there is a lot of color: green, blue and purplish of the stones, rose-gold and silver of the setting (although I'm counting on not seeing the silver mostly). Without the setting, when I just had the stones on me, I found the color combination very pleasing - I think all being fairly dark, even muted colors, they soothe each other out. For example, green and pink would have popped both the colors. Blue and green melt into each other, and are hard to distinguish, at least at the sizes and color intensity of the stones I had. But the three colors together highlighted each other nicely.
I'm hoping that unlike yellow or silver metals, yellow gold will not be a harsh contrast to any of the colors, and will just be a nice mellow frame.

On the note of a lot of things going on... As GemFever posted -
GemFever said:
I think the same with the cushiony bezels -- the geometry echoes the tsavorite and makes the design more unique. The important thing is that DanielM carries it out smoothly.
- the initial idea was that the tsavorite is cushiony, won't it be weird to have a cushion bezel in the center, and rounds for all others. In 2-D sketches, having cushioned bezels on the rhodolites looked swell. However, since Chrono commented...
Chrono said:
In general, squares and rounds do not go well together, even if cushiony. I had a ring like that once and it bugged me to no end as I kept seeing Princess Leia and her side ear buns. :bigsmile:
... I became hesitant to go through with the design, but Caren suggested that we should start with whatever my inexperienced intuition originally desired, and implied that they're interested in considering the initial design.
Hence - the cushiony CADs for rhodolites.

Looking at these CADs, I'm not worried so much about the cushiony shape of the outer bezels, but of the visibly different thickness of metal it'll create between the 3 center stones and garnets. When I try to imagine it, I see delicate thin bezels, so clean they're barely noticeable, and then BAM! obvious strips of rose gold around rhodolites. How would that look? Perhaps just modern, geometrical. Or, perhaps, it'll be really distracting.

So, achieving a balance between the element of color and shape will be an important goal for this ring.
I've sort of tried to get Caren and Dan voice their opinions about the look, but they're mostly telling me to figure out what I want and start there. Whaa. Maybe if I really obviously relinquish control and promise them that I'll be happy with their design choices... (Maybe I'll do that once I make a decision on all the elements I'm comfortable making a decision on).

I also realize that this style of ring, already, isn't for everyone. When I showed the CADs to my mom, she very gravely and pityingly asked me why the stones are not placed from largest to smallest (and instead alternate), and don't the vendors think the colors are gaudy, and that I could still fix it all! 8)
(She was also like - "MimB, go visit the Le Vian collection at Jared's, and remind yourself that the more color they use their, the cheaper it looks!")

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having done so many projects with them, anything I don't dictate exactly, they will take liberties, and I can always change it later if I so choose.

I've had Dan say no to me once. He said to stick with my original idea first, and then if I didn't like it, he'd try my second idea. I went with my original idea. If you're not sure, then I'd ask to see CADs of the other idea too.

Also, I wouldn't worry about silver and rose gold. They will be cast in the individual metals and then Dan will put them together and make it look great. I have a silver/rose gold ring and there is no transition, just silver and rose gold on their individual parts.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised by how much I like the CADs; I would definitely ask if the bezels can be thinned down into something like this, where it is just barely covering the outer edge.

Attachments

• super_thin_bezel.bmp
    474.7 KB · Views: 963

mimB

Shiny_Rock
So in an attempt to explain to Dan what I'd like for the shaft side-view... I sketched stuff.

I referred to these rings for inspiration:
http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/astinpixies/media/jbegring32.jpg.html
http://www.kranichs.com/products/5822/ritani-endless-love-three-stone-engagement-ring
http://www.gemsny.com/emerald-rings/Emerald-Three-Stone-Ring-With-Bezel-Set-Round-Diamonds-R11056EM/
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/47458040?
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/61263935?

And then I decided on two CAD adjustments that I like most out of the ones I doodled.

I wrote to Dan, and will post any updates as they come in. :)

ringdesign3.jpg

ringdesign4.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wish I could "doodle" like you!!!

But there were so many drawings... I couldn't read the handwritten text... which ones did you settle on? Or are you waiting for Dan's input on which ones he thinks will work?

I personally like first row of drawings, middle design (open spaces, but more or less uniform lines that curve "logically"). While I love the bubbles you added to the profile, I think the stones are too small for the bubbles to make sense. They would be too small for any worthwhile detail, I think.

mimB

Shiny_Rock
GemFever|1369257050|3452051 said:
I wish I could "doodle" like you!!!

But there were so many drawings... I couldn't read the handwritten text... which ones did you settle on? Or are you waiting for Dan's input on which ones he thinks will work?

I personally like first row of drawings, middle design (open spaces, but more or less uniform lines that curve "logically"). While I love the bubbles you added to the profile, I think the stones are too small for the bubbles to make sense. They would be too small for any worthwhile detail, I think.

OK, lol, I admit that this kind of "doodling" involved a lightpad and careful tracing, and research, and lalala and took some hours. You yourself doodle epicly, I've seen it :)

I sent Dan only the second photo - so those two designs for the side view is what I thought would be elegant, but still doable, considering that the space between the bezels and shank is small.
In general, I spent today trying to really get into details of how the settings looks, and agonize over "oh, will these bezels be too prominent, will the setting look too chunky from the side"... And then I remembered that the shaft width will be 2-3mm, and the bezel width is just hal a millimeter, and that the ring will a pretty small object overall... And that Dan always makes clean epic bezels... And that I'm worrying about things I won't be able to detect without a loupe anyway.

:D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Dan can do Design 2 without issues, the rest, I'm not as confident. If you are very particular about the curvature, you will be unlikely to get what you want. They do a great job. Just don't expect them to be able to capture every slightest nuance of a curve or dip.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's going to be fabulous :D

One thought -- if the tsavo and the sapphires have thinner bezels and the garnets have the cushiony bezels, you probably will be able to tell the difference in thickness. I wonder if Dan could consciously make all the bezels thicker so the difference on the garnets is not as noticeable.

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1369274858|3452207 said:
I know Dan can do Design 2 without issues, the rest, I'm not as confident. If you are very particular about the curvature, you will be unlikely to get what you want. They do a great job. Just don't expect them to be able to capture every slightest nuance of a curve or dip.

Chrono,
Thanks for the good point. I'll take care not to marry myself to an exact vision. :)

GemFever said:
I think it's going to be fabulous :D

One thought -- if the tsavo and the sapphires have thinner bezels and the garnets have the cushiony bezels, you probably will be able to tell the difference in thickness. I wonder if Dan could consciously make all the bezels thicker so the difference on the garnets is not as noticeable.

GemFever,
I was actually going to be very annoying and bother Dan about the particular thickness of each bezel... and then as I was sketching realized that the thickness on the CADs for all of them was pretty similar, even the rhodolite ones, and that I was worrying about fractions of a mm.
In the end, I asked Dan for the bezels to be as minimal as they can do, and letting their skills decide the rest.

Overall, I'm feeling ok about relinquishing creative freedom on some aspects of this. There have been a number of decisions where I didn't have an absolute stance, and so I end up going by how excited Dan and Caren sound about them.

For example, Caren is extremely on board for the cushiony bezels. They love the idea. I think their enthusiasm about it is more important than my slight worry that it might not come out as I envisioned. I want them to be enthused about making this. At least, I know how much better my work comes out when I'm interested in it.
Caren, also liked the idea of supports swooping away from the center, and supported the open bridge beneath the center stone; after staring at the drawing, however, I think I like a closed bridge better.
They're also going to taper the top shank a little as it connects to the bezels, though I'm not sure what that'll mean for the side view. For the view from the top, I think it means the shank will look thinner towards the bezels, accentuating their shape.

Basically, this is ridiculously fun. Also, Caren's approvals of my ideas totally throw me into a giddy happiness, and I've already hopped around the living room twice, clapping my hands and trying not to suffocate from excitement. (Lev just shakes his head and concludes that this ring making business is a much more complicated process than he expected).
:razz:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mim,
You are going about this the right way with regards to how a custom setting goes. You want it to have the elements that you like but must relinquish micro-management. There will be issues and back and forth but most of all, it should be an exciting and fun experience, not fighting tooth and nail all the way from CAD to the end product, getting stressed and upset. I think you are going to love whatever D and C come up with.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mim: I am in awe of anyone who can visually articulate their vision (I would say "draw," but that is perjorative to your renderings!). This thread is great in watching the evolution of a ring, but my favorite part is seeing your talent in laying out your design on paper. You have such talent and ability and I would give my eye teeth (they're used but you can have 'em cheap) to be able to visually render my mind's vision as you have. Bravo!! :appl: :appl:

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Everyone, Dan sent me a new version of CADs! I'm excited. I think they look really good. In fact, unless anyone sees anything new to potentially worry about, I'm going to go with these :D

cad_version2_002.jpg

cad_version2_003.jpg

cad_version2_004.jpg

cad_version2_005.jpg

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Last CAD:

Minous,
Thank you! To be honest, I often dismiss it as a negligible skill, but you are right - I shouldn't take it for granted, and will remember to feel grateful for acquiring it and getting the chance to develop it.

cad_version2_001.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love it and can't wait to see the final product! 8)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, this is going to be a spectacular ring.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Look good, please keep posting.

mimB

Shiny_Rock
alice87|1370189547|3457711 said:
Look good, please keep posting.

Hey Alice, thanks for stopping by :)

I'm currently in the two week waiting period between finalizing the CADs and getting the ring cast, and then the stones set. If there's no complications, I've another week of impatience until Caren & Dan get back to me with photos of the final product. :tongue: Caaan't wait.
I'm also going on vacation in a week, and if we leave before the ring gets finished, I'll ask Caren not to ship it until we're back, so that I can be home for the pick-up. Then I'd have a whole extra week to be patient. :)

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Hello all!
The ring is complete! Caren has posted the listing with the photos, and I let her know that I'll stare at them for a day or two to see if I have any feedback.
I do have feedback already, but I need help deciding whether to voice it, and if so - how to formulate it so as not to offend.

But first, Caren's photos from the listing:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/002/0/5510916/il_fullxfull.469880912_m56o.jpg

http://img2.etsystatic.com/001/0/5510916/il_fullxfull.469880946_rht8.jpg

http://img3.etsystatic.com/007/0/5510916/il_fullxfull.469901047_datm.jpg

http://img1.etsystatic.com/005/0/5510916/il_fullxfull.469901061_lhow.jpg

il_62.jpg

il_63.jpg

il_64.jpg

il_65.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Of course you should voice it! Whether anything can be done or not, you should talk to them about it.

Personally, I think it looks great and I am amazed you have the self control to wait a couple days! I'd have been itching for a tracking number already :cheeky:

mimB

Shiny_Rock
So, the feedback.

First of all, I think the outcome is pretty awesome. It'll be difficult for me to fall in love with it until it's on my finger, but I think the vision has been realized. The shapes and color combos look as I imagined, so we're good there.

Two things concern me, however:
1) The bezels are folded over unevenly in some places (or, the inner lines of the bezels are imperfect).
http://img0.etsystatic.com/002/0/5510916/il_fullxfull.469880912_m56o.jpg
I'm thinking, though, that these photos are blown up huge, and in real life size, I won't be able to notice these irregularities. Furthermore, the stones are not calibrated cuts, so perhaps getting a even bezeled line would have been impossible anyhow.
2) 3 out of 4 supports under the bezel look squashed - as if, during the setting, they were squeezed tightly and their width got altered and wavy.
http://img3.etsystatic.com/007/0/5510916/il_fullxfull.469901047_datm.jpg
Here, I think my final feelings would also depend on how visible this imperfection is in person. The gallery is pretty small, and how likely am I to look at the side of the ring while it's on my finger anyway?
If it would stand out even in person, I think I'd feel a little sad that this imperfection exists on a setting I paid 1K for (because for my budget, it's a large amount).
Furthermore, does it make sense to point this out to Caren and Dan unless it's something that's easily fixable? Because I would hate for Dan to try to polish or straighten the supports if it's likely to inflict damage on the stones or surrounding metal.

What do you guys things?

(GemFever, I know you vote that I tell Dan about the supports. :))

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
MimB I think the overall look of the ring turned out gorgeous! The rose gold bezel really works for those colors and they look so good together.

That said, I think you should definitely give the feedback to them. For 1) I think the bezeling could at least be neatened up if not made perfectly even. I think even if they are a bit irregular in the end (but not very noticeably so) they would add to the charm and quirkiness of this ring.

For 2) you wouldn't know how easy or hard it is to fix if you don't voice your concern. it looks like the strut was deliberately made to curve in a bit? Maybe it didn't photograph well. But if it wasn't what you asked for in your design, you should definitely have it changed, the gallery is a visible part of the ring after all.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Peacechick,
Thanks for the reply!

You and GemFever have upped my bravery, so I'll be mentioning my concerns to Caren and Dan today. Eek. Will see what they say!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ring is beautiful!

As far as the bezel work, in the past I had my star sapphire (in my avatar) set by them in a rose gold bezel, I had told myself that small imperfections were to be expected, but when I had the ring in hand, I was a little too OCD to deal with it, lol. So now it's in a prong setting. :razz:

I have faceted gems that are bezel set by other jewelers who specialize in bezels, and I think the faceting helps distract me because everything is so glittery, but my star sapphire was a cab so the only shiny bits were the metal so the unevenness bugged me. I'm hoping that since these stones are so bright and sparkly, the bezels won't be a distraction.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Love the ring on the hand..... which is a nice surprise b/c I was meh over the ring alone. I promptly noticed the workmanship on the bezel and wasn't sure if it was a reflection. I'm glad you'll talk with them as they seem like a couple who would want to address any concerns. Thank you for sharing the process.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the different colors and shapes of the stones work surprisingly better than I expected from the sketches.
I do see the imperfections in the bezeling and also on the side. Personally I am one who doesn't mind a little imperfection in a hand made piece like the pieces you seen in a Sundance catalog (part of the charm) but everyone falls along a continuum to what degree of non-symmetry, finishing they can tolerate. for some people they maybe they shouldn't get handmade pieces because it will never look like a machined piece.
So I would just let them know the areas you are concerned, with, they may be able to address some without too much changes, and let you know if there is any thing that would be too significant to change.

I do hope that you do not feel you have to have the setting remade, etc.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
I have to admit, I was one of those who thought it was going to be a trainwreck. :errrr: :errrr:

It turned out a lot better than I envisioned and danielm did a great job.

I think the bezels are a tad thicker but that was to balance out the cushiony bezels as well.

Some of the irregularities could be reflections from the camera but still worth asking about.

mimB

Shiny_Rock
It is here, the ring is here, mauahahah!
I've opened a thread in SMTB to post photos.

RoyalStarryNight, Part Gypsy, Wordie89, MakingTheGrade - thank you for supporting me in telling Dan & Caren my concerns when I was all wobbling about it. :)
I ended up agonizing about it for two days, bugged my partner and GemFever into helping me compose a nice and gentle sounding note to DanielM, and then decided that I was being premature. I paid for the ring without pointing out the waviness in the photos, thinking that there was no point in bringing it up unless it bothers me in person.

In the end, I'm glad I decided that - now that I've the ring on hand, I'm very content with it. If I look closely, bringing the ring to my nose, I can see all the imperfections I saw in the photos. But even up close they do not bother me - and from a distance of an extended hand, I can't see any of them.

I also don't know if the open bezels helped, but the stones look at light as I remembered them. The sapphires and the rhodolite might even black out less than they did when I saw them as loose stones against my skin.

Basically, the end result is frakking awesome. I have taken all the pictures ever, and swing between fits of purring and evil/triumphant laughter every time I look at it. So happy with it. :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad that this turned out well for you in the end. Your concerns were exactly what I cautioned in the beginning, that you cannot capture every nuance and get perfection for $1K. I think the end result is really great for what you paid. Unless you want a perfectly smooth and super thin bezel with bezel supports that are evenly smooth, expect to fork out much more that you did. I am OCD so Daniel M is not the right vendor for me but my opinion is that they do an excellent job for what they charge. The colour scheme you selected is fabulous and the proportions came out perfectly. Congrats on a superb 5 stone ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results