shape
carat
color
clarity

Tried on two more dresses...opinons please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
chelle, i vote for the marisa. it looks perfect on you and i can just imagine you wearing it at the wedding site.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
chelle,
I have a quick question:
in the first 2 gowns, you have brown hair.. in the 3rd, blond?? Are these all you? Are any you??
emsmilep.gif

I am asking bc I think the 3rd is perfect and not too tight for you, however if it is a matter of comfort, you know best. I think it looks better slimmer than when you shopped in more A-line..

the original is vavavavoom...I know I used that before but it is what I think when I see it! lol

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 10:33:38 PM
Author: Sophie
chelle,
I have a quick question:
in the first 2 gowns, you have brown hair.. in the 3rd, blond?? Are these all you? Are any you??
emsmilep.gif

I am asking bc I think the 3rd is perfect and not too tight for you, however if it is a matter of comfort, you know best. I think it looks better slimmer than when you shopped in more A-line..

the original is vavavavoom...I know I used that before but it is what I think when I see it! lol
Hey Sophie! I'm a little confused... there are three dresses I tried on and they are all me.

Dress #1 Mermaid

weddingdress20032xv7.jpg

Dress #2 Reem Acra
weddingdress20172zc8.jpg

Dress #3 Marisa
california0222jr7.jpg

As far as the blond girl, I think you are referring to the post where I used knottie HNN as an example... I loved her Monique Lhuillier dress. Is this picture the one? Here's part of the post....

Here is Monique Lhuillier "Geisha" which I LOVE, but I don't think I can rock this style. It's too slim in the hips. But I'm wondering if I can alter the Marisa A line dress to have a tight bodice like this. So ultimately it would look like this but it would be looser in the hips and have an A line skirt.
Knottie HNN (so gorgeous and I want her body!)
347866%3A56%7Ffp348%3Enu%3D3233%3E965%3E347%3E23249654382%3A%3Aot1lsi

So that, unfortunately, is not me.
41.gif
I wish! She has a great body and would look amazing in anything. So is that the dress you are talking about when you refer to the "3rd dress"? If so, yeah, that pic is of someone else and I would look nothing like her in that dress! Too bad! That Monique Lhuillier dress is amazing.

P.S. Thanks for the vote on the first dress... it's nice to be thought of as "vavavavoom" since I definitely don't feel that way sometimes!
2.gif
Thank you!!!

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 6:53:06 PM
Author: ephemery1

Date: 11/20/2006 1:48:33 PM
Author: chellebelle

Date: 11/20/2006 11:40:28 AM
Author: Mara
that one on the bottom left that was just posted is a PS''er''s gown...hmmm ephemery I''m thinking? LOVE IT. What about something like that chelle?
Oh yes.... the Melissa Sweet ''Nicolette'' dress.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I actually was going to post this but I thought it was probably too expensive so I decided to just forget about it. But I think I''m going to call one of the bridal shops and find out the exact cost. I love it. LOVE IT. Forget the cost, I found the perfect dress, we''ll just eat hot dogs!
11.gif
Okay, okay, the dress search continues but that HAS crossed my mind. hehee I remember when ephemery posted it and I about died. So gorgeous and elegant and classic. And it looks like it was made for her. If I were to try it on, I hope I would look half as good in it as she did! There''s another PSer that has it too... maybride I think? She looks fantastic in it as well. Anyways, it''s perfect. I just don''t know if the price is.
8.gif
I''m going to call right now...
Haha... you are so sweet... thanks for the mini-boost of confidence, Chelle!!!
9.gif
But as soon as I saw that Mercoledi posted the Melissa Sweet gowns above, I was about to write that you should check out my pix, since my body seems more similar to yours than the model in the runway pix. I actually don''t like the runway shots... I think it looks kind of disproportionate on her boyish shape... but I bet it would be STUNNING on your more hourglass-y figure! Oh and if it helps, I think we paid around $3200 at the Priscilla of Boston in Wynnewood, PA. The other dress I was considering was $5500, so the Nicolette seemed like a bargain at the time!
2.gif

Post with my pix just for reference: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omg-did-i-really-just-pick-a-dress.49658/
Oh you don''t have to refer me to your thread, I have it saved!
9.gif
Your dress is one of my faves! Like I said before, you look AMAZING in that dress!!! Can''t say it enough. That''s how I want to look... like my dress was perfectly *made* for me.
1.gif
And as much as I wish, I don''t think your body looks similar to mine... you''re so long and lean looking!!! And I really wish I had your arms! But thank you, I''ll take that mini comparison as a compliment. hehe! I called a couple shops and no one carries Nicolette (I have awful luck!), so thank you for sharing the price of the dress. That helped a lot!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Psst...
Two newbies from preowned:
1709b.gif
1712e.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
OK, I''m going to vote.

I still love, love the Reem. It is fabulous. You should get it. But there are two caveats:

1) is there any fabric at all for alterations in the bodice area? I think part of why you look "smokin hot" in the Marisa, and slightly less so in the Reem, is the bunching under the bust in the Reem. It needs to look effortless, and currently the Reem looks just slightly off. I don''t think you need much, maybe less than an 1", maybe taken in in some places and let out in others, and a good seamstress could have that fitting like a glove. I have seen a couple dresses before/after minor bodice alterations and the difference can be dramatic.

2) Are you OK with not-white dress? I love, love the color, and think you look fabulous in it, but it is not white and looks slightly less standard-bridal. For me this would be a plus, but what about you?

If the Reem doesn''t pass those tests, I think you should get the Marisa rather than looking for other similar dresses if you like it. I really like the kind of messy pick-ups (much better than the well-ordered pick-ups) and part of why is looks so good is the fabulous fit. You will drive yourself bonkers trying to find that kind of fit on other dresses. Unless you want to do the exhaustive dress search, or are one of those miraculous sample size people that everything you try on looks some variation of good. (good, very good, extremely good, etc.)

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 2:08:12 AM
Oh you don''t have to refer me to your thread, I have it saved!
9.gif
Your dress is one of my faves! Like I said before, you look AMAZING in that dress!!! Can''t say it enough. That''s how I want to look... like my dress was perfectly *made* for me.
1.gif
And as much as I wish, I don''t think your body looks similar to mine... you''re so long and lean looking!!! And I really wish I had your arms! But thank you, I''ll take that mini comparison as a compliment. hehe! I called a couple shops and no one carries Nicolette (I have awful luck!), so thank you for sharing the price of the dress. That helped a lot!
Thanks, Chelle!!!
9.gif
I''m not sure if I ever believed in the idea of finding "the one" perfect dress, since I really liked a lot of the dresses I tried on... but something about it just felt right. It was the perfect combination of all the elements I''d liked about other dresses... plus I just felt really comfortable in it (hence the sitting-down pic... had to make sure it worked in all situations!) But I am definitely NOT long and lean... barely 5''5 and carry ALL my weight in my legs... ugh. Fortunately dresses are the one thing I can pull off well with that body type!

I think you looked gorgeous in all 3 options above, but my fav is definitely the Marisa, for what it''s worth! But that has a lot to do with my own personal taste, which is pretty simple and classic. I also liked the Elma Reis you posted on the previous page. Have you tried on any Judd Waddell or Jenny Lee? I really loved both those designers... might be worth checking out!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 1:53:05 AM

Date: 11/20/2006 10:33:38 PM
Author: Sophie
chelle,
I have a quick question:
emsmilep.gif

Hey Sophie! I''m a little confused... there are three dresses I tried on and they are all me.

Dress #1 Mermaid

weddingdress20032xv7.jpg

Dress #2 Reem Acra
weddingdress20172zc8.jpg

Dress #3 Marisa
california0222jr7.jpg

As far as the blond girl, I think you are referring to the post where I used knottie HNN as an example... I loved her Monique Lhuillier dress. Is this picture the one? Here''s part of the post....

Here is Monique Lhuillier ''Geisha'' which I LOVE, but I don''t think I can rock this style. It''s too slim in the hips. But I''m wondering if I can alter the Marisa A line dress to have a tight bodice like this. So ultimately it would look like this but it would be looser in the hips and have an A line skirt.
Knottie HNN (so gorgeous and I want her body!)
347866%3A56%7Ffp348%3Enu%3D3233%3E965%3E347%3E23249654382%3A%3Aot1lsi

So that, unfortunately, is not me.
41.gif
I wish! She has a great body and would look amazing in anything. So is that the dress you are talking about when you refer to the ''3rd dress''? If so, yeah, that pic is of someone else and I would look nothing like her in that dress! Too bad! That Monique Lhuillier dress is amazing.

P.S. Thanks for the vote on the first dress... it''s nice to be thought of as ''vavavavoom'' since I definitely don''t feel that way sometimes!
2.gif
Thank you!!!

lol thanks for the clarification, I got it now.
17.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I know this thread is pretty much dead, but one last one and then I quit, I swear! Anne Barge, sample from Glenn and Co. $700!
CharlotteFull.jpg
CharlotteBack.jpg

Gorgeous! It has the sweatheart strapless neckline, a dropped waist, some embellishment, a slim A-line and a price that makes me wish I still needed a dress!

Link- scroll down

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
mercoledi~

You are so great at finding dresses! Thank you! That Anne Barge is beautiful! I'm loving everything that you post.
9.gif

So a quick update, I tried on the Marisa again with my mom and sister/MOH (who was in town for Thanksgiving). This was the first time taking them dress shopping with me. My mom didn't love the Marisa and my sister said it was plain (at first). LOL Oh well. I know they didn't hate it, but still.
8.gif
They liked it better with a sash and brooch, which I didn't mind. I know it's not everyone's taste though. My mom just didn't understand the whole "non-embellished" look. She looked through all the dresses and said, "I want to find a dress that looks like something I couldn't sew!!!" (aka a dress with beading, embroidery, etc.) The funny thing is that my mom doesn't even know how to sew dresses!
33.gif
But I knew what she was trying to say. She made me try on this tulle-ish princessy sequined beaded sparkly fairylike dress and she just squealed when she saw it.
20.gif
It didn't even flatter me! I told her I don't want to look like a princess and she said "You ARE my princess!" Haha. It's so hard when people have an idea of what THEY like, but don't try to see what suits me and my style/personality. I guess I just have to rely on myself for that. Then a couple days later my mom aksed why the princess dress was less than half the price of the Marisa dress when it had more "detail" on it. I tried to explain without saying the other dress was just plain awful and not great quality. She just doesn't get it. She is paying for most of the wedding but I am paying for part of it, including my dress. But I still wish my mom and sister had a better reaction. They just kinda sat there. They started to warm up, but it just wasn't what I had imagined. I tried on veils with the Marisa and they both loved this particular one but it wasn't my favorite. My mom kept telling the bridal shop lady to write the veil down in my file.
40.gif
It was quite an experience. I dont' think I'll be shopping with anyone again! It was so unnerving and frustrating at times. Sometimes I think PSers have better style and have a better idea of what looks good on me than my own family and friends. From now on I'm just consulting with my PS buddies!
41.gif
Anyways, that was a random rant. Sorry about that! hehee The Marisa is my #1 right now. The Reem is gorgeous but on top of it maybe being "too much" as far as detail, I can't really afford it even at the discounted price. Some embroidery has unraveled and some crystals have fallen off so that would need to be fixed. I'm also paying for my veil, shoes, undergarments, jewelry, accessories, etc. so I have to keep that in mind as far as my budget. Right now I'm waiting to see if the bridal shop will price match. It would be sooo great if they did! Cross your fingers for me!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes. I'm always afraid of looking like a wedding cake myself, so I tend to gravitate towards dresses that are more streamlined; I want to wear the dress, I don't want the dress to wear me!

I'm sorry to hear that your family was chilly towards your favorite pick, because I think the Marissa is the most flattering cut. The Reem has that dangerous satin puckery material thang going on, which seems to only look good on models who are so skinny as to bear an uncanny resemblance to a coat hangar.

Would it be possible to see you in another pic of the Marissa where your hair is up? At first I didn't like the Marissa on you because while it outlined your lovely waist (so envious!) it almost seemed to be hiking your 'assets' up or out or making them very prominent in some way, which is what I noticed first of all in that picture. (OMG, she is so tiny but her bust is ... busty!
23.gif
) Is it the fit of the bodice? Is there extra material there?

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 11:36:08 PM
Author: Galateia
Yikes. I''m always afraid of looking like a wedding cake myself, so I tend to gravitate towards dresses that are more streamlined; I want to wear the dress, I don''t want the dress to wear me!

I''m sorry to hear that your family was chilly towards your favorite pick, because I think the Marissa is the most flattering cut. The Reem has that dangerous satin puckery material thang going on, which seems to only look good on models who are so skinny as to bear an uncanny resemblance to a coat hangar.

Would it be possible to see you in another pic of the Marissa where your hair is up? At first I didn''t like the Marissa on you because while it outlined your lovely waist (so envious!) it almost seemed to be hiking your ''assets'' up or out or making them very prominent in some way, which is what I noticed first of all in that picture. (OMG, she is so tiny but her bust is ... busty!
23.gif
) Is it the fit of the bodice? Is there extra material there?
LOL that part just cracked me up! I know what you mean about the girls being hiked up and prominent... at least it looks that way in the picture. I even brought it up in one of my earlier posts. Unfortunately, the bridal shop won''t let me take pictures of the dress. I only have that one pic from when I tried it on in California while visiting. I really really wish they would let me! I tried it on again this past weekend and I don''t remember the bust looking that way. I wish I''d pay more attention to things like that when I''m there. I get so overwhelmed and giddy and forget to take note of things like that. Also, I think I was standing funny in that pic... my shoulders are far back so my chest sticks out. Regardless, they are THERE. But from what I remember at my last visit, it didn''t look so prominent. Oh and what do you mean by "Is there extra material there?" Do you mean maybe some of it is not "me"? hehee It could be that too... the Marisa wasn''t my size (too small) and wasn''t zipped up... I think it was tightly clipped.

MayBride

Rough_Rock
Hi! I just caught up with this thread. Thanks for the compliments on the dress! I am ephemry''s dress twin with the other Melissa Sweet Nicolette. Have you tried looking at the Melissa Sweet website and using the storefinder? Also if there are any Priscilla of Boston stores nearby they will definitely have the dress. What I love about it is that it is A-line so it covers my hips (5''4" and I carry my weigt in my hips & my thighs.... if it wasn''t for them I would be tiny) but it is not poofy. It has the best sillhouette.

MayBride

Rough_Rock
Here''s a pic with me wearing the dress which I don''t think I posted on here yet.

MSNicsm.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Date: 11/28/2006 11:23:06 PM
mercoledi~

You are so great at finding dresses! Thank you! That Anne Barge is beautiful! I''m loving everything that you post.
9.gif

So a quick update, I tried on the Marisa again with my mom and sister/MOH (who was in town for Thanksgiving). This was the first time taking them dress shopping with me. My mom didn''t love the Marisa and my sister said it was plain (at first). LOL Oh well. I know they didn''t hate it, but still.
8.gif
They liked it better with a sash and brooch, which I didn''t mind. I know it''s not everyone''s taste though. My mom just didn''t understand the whole ''non-embellished'' look. She looked through all the dresses and said, ''I want to find a dress that looks like something I couldn''t sew!!!'' (aka a dress with beading, embroidery, etc.) The funny thing is that my mom doesn''t even know how to sew dresses!
33.gif
But I knew what she was trying to say. She made me try on this tulle-ish princessy sequined beaded sparkly fairylike dress and she just squealed when she saw it.
20.gif
It didn''t even flatter me! I told her I don''t want to look like a princess and she said ''You ARE my princess!'' Haha. It''s so hard when people have an idea of what THEY like, but don''t try to see what suits me and my style/personality. I guess I just have to rely on myself for that. Then a couple days later my mom aksed why the princess dress was less than half the price of the Marisa dress when it had more ''detail'' on it. I tried to explain without saying the other dress was just plain awful and not great quality. She just doesn''t get it. She is paying for most of the wedding but I am paying for part of it, including my dress. But I still wish my mom and sister had a better reaction. They just kinda sat there. They started to warm up, but it just wasn''t what I had imagined. I tried on veils with the Marisa and they both loved this particular one but it wasn''t my favorite. My mom kept telling the bridal shop lady to write the veil down in my file.
40.gif
It was quite an experience. I dont'' think I''ll be shopping with anyone again! It was so unnerving and frustrating at times. Sometimes I think PSers have better style and have a better idea of what looks good on me than my own family and friends. From now on I''m just consulting with my PS buddies!
41.gif
Anyways, that was a random rant. Sorry about that! hehee The Marisa is my #1 right now. The Reem is gorgeous but on top of it maybe being ''too much'' as far as detail, I can''t really afford it even at the discounted price. Some embroidery has unraveled and some crystals have fallen off so that would need to be fixed. I''m also paying for my veil, shoes, undergarments, jewelry, accessories, etc. so I have to keep that in mind as far as my budget. Right now I''m waiting to see if the bridal shop will price match. It would be sooo great if they did! Cross your fingers for me!
Hi Chelle-

I had to lol when I read this post- you sound exactly like me when I talk about my mom. I LOVE her to death, but my taste and her taste are COMPLETELY different. My mom will love me in things that are absolutely horrendous....I have accepted the fact that we will just never agree on anything related to this subject, and that is just the way it is.

When it came to dress shopping, I know this is bad to say, but I did not want my mom there...It would have turned into a nightmare...she would have been stressed out over the $$ issue, #1 (even though she is not paying for my dress, I am) and it just would have been terrible. I did invite her to go with me anyway, but it turned out she was going to be away that particular weekend...I made it out to be no big deal, b/c I didn''t want to hurt her feelings, but I just knew it was for the best. My sister was the only person I invited (if she couldn''t come I would have went alone) and that was fine, b/c even though my sister and I have COMPLETELY different tastes too, my sister knows what looks nice. And when I put my dress on she cried, so I knew it was the one...

So, my best advice- even though you love your mom and your sis, just dont take them anymore...that situation is bound to cause you stress everytime. Go alone or take a best girlfriend or whatever...just someone who will give an honest opinion, but let you pick what you like without being negative, you know? Much better that way!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results