shape
carat
color
clarity

Tried on two more dresses...opinons please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies!

So I tried on a couple more dresses and would love your opinions!

This is the mermaidy dress I tried on. I love these styles, but I'm a curvy girl and I'm not sure if I can pull off the more form fitting type dresses. I did love it though. I wish they had it on my size... it wasn't zipped up and I think it would've looked better if it had been so it could accentuate my waist more. The lace along the bottom was so pretty. I added the lace bolero. Wish I had more pics but my camera battery died.
7.gif

Oh and in the back view pic, I had taken off the veil and am holding it... that's what is sticking out on the left side... it's not part of the dress.
weddingdress20032xv7.jpg
weddingdress2006lu5.jpg

This is the Reem Acra I tried on. It used to be way out of my price range (originally $6000+!!!) but the sample is 70% off and it's in my size! Zipped right up. The gold embroidery and crystals are amazing and the silk is DEVINE. Also, the silk is a champagne color... it looks nice with my skin tone and it's beautiful, but I was wondering if it is too non-bridal since it's not white or ivory. It looks lighter in the pictures and in reality, it is visably a pale gold color in person.
And it's obviously the sales girl's favorite dress one me... she took a bunch of pics!
weddingdress20072jc6.jpg
weddingdress20082mi0.jpg

Train
weddingdress20092ms9.jpg

Train detail....
weddingdress20102at5.jpg
weddingdress20112ny5.jpg

This is with the matching Reem veil. The edging has matching gold embroidery and crystals.
weddingdress20152mz8.jpg
weddingdress20172zc8.jpg

Okay, I know I know, they are completely different and on opposite ends of the dress spectrum. But I like them both!
Also, in looking at dresses, I've always been concerned with my tattoo showing (it's on my right shoulder blade). I like it, but I guess I just don't want it showing for the wedding. There's makeup out there but I'm worried about it smearing throughout the day, people hugging me, etc. I love lace and there have been a couple dresses I would wear a lace bolero which would basically fix my problem of covering my tattoo. I've been leaning towards those. Then I realized I was working my dress around my tattoo and told myself that was freakin silly! Does anyone have any experience or ideas on covering a tattoo up?
So in the end, my concern with the mermaid dress is me not being able to pull off that style of dress. Maybe it's not so flattering on my body type? And with the Reem, I'm wondering if people would think the color was not very bridal and I'd still like a way to cover my tattoo. Opinions would be much appreciated!

Oh and to throw another into the mix, this Marisa dress is still in the running.
2.gif
I would add a lace bolero like the one shown with the mermaid dress.

california0222jr7.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH! I appreciate you taking the time to look.
1.gif

Chelle aka Queen of Indecision
20.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Champagne is VERY much a bridal color!!! That second dress is gorgeous!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I like the 2nd. 3rd is pretty too. You have such a teeny tiny waist!!!

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
AChiOAlumna~
Thank you! Pale gold/champagne is actually my accent wedding color, so the Reem would probably look fine. I just wasn''t sure if the color would shock people (or the more traditional people) since it''s not white or off-white... it''s visably gold. I found a pic of a Reem Acra in the color I think the dress is. I''m not sure, but I think it would be along these lines...
1640b.gif
1640d.gif

swingirl~
Thanks! You''re so sweet! It''s nice to hear *something* is tiny about me!
2.gif
I''ve gained weight and it''s been a drag trying on dresses when I''m not at the size I used to be at.
40.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I think they are both great, and I reallly like the mermaid on you!!
I think being curvy in that style is perfect, if you are a stick figure.....whoosh!!! it just looks like bleh.... :)

The Remm acra is gorgeous, but I actually find the 1st more unique!

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2006 12:27:41 AM
Author: Sophie
I think they are both great, and I reallly like the mermaid on you!!
I think being curvy in that style is perfect, if you are a stick figure.....whoosh!!! it just looks like bleh.... :)

The Remm acra is gorgeous, but I actually find the 1st more unique!
Awwww thanks Sophie. I agree that mermaids look good on girls with curves but I am sooooo hippy. I''m like a big fat pear! I guess I''ve been afraid that my body is not proportionate enough for those dresses since I''m kinda bottom heavy. But I feel a little better now.
1.gif
And you brought up a good point... I wonder if the Reem is very common and not as unique? Well obviously *Reems* aren''t super common but I mean the style. Strapless, dropped waist, full skirt, beading, etc. But who am I to talk, I''ve been loving the whole sash and pickup trend! LOL Talk about common.
37.gif
Anyways, I do like that the first dress is a bit different!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the Reem Acra and the Marisa are beautiful on you -- so figure-flattering! I particularly like the Reem. It''s a sumptuous dress, and the embroidery is just lovely. I think the embroidery on the helps to visually balance your bustline, if that makes sense, and it looks like the champaigne shade should be very flattering to your skintone. It''s hard to tell what the first dress really looks like because of the sample size and the way the picture is cropped, but it appears to make you look shorter.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for Reem. It looks great, the color is lovely on your skin tone and WHAT A DEAL. Fits and looks great and is stunning and seventy off? How could you even hestitate? I cannot pull up the other one on my screen (the third one) so cannot see how it compares but boy that is gorgeous. I never liked snow white for wedding dresses anyway, too tough to wear with most skin tones. When is your wedding?

ETA The Marissa did come up. Pretty but not as outstanding as the Reem. Which is more appropriate for your wedding? How adorable are you!

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2006 12:43:41 AM
Author: MINIMS
Both the Reem Acra and the Marisa are beautiful on you -- so figure-flattering! I particularly like the Reem. It''s a sumptuous dress, and the embroidery is just lovely. I think the embroidery on the helps to visually balance your bustline, if that makes sense, and it looks like the champaigne shade should be very flattering to your skintone. It''s hard to tell what the first dress really looks like because of the sample size and the way the picture is cropped, but it appears to make you look shorter.
Hmmm... I do look kinda stubby in the first one. Not as elongated I guess you could say? The dropped waist of the Reem (and Marisa) really helps with that. I''m not that tall and I''m not going to be wearing super high heels. One of my bridesmaids is coming back with me on Monday to see both dresses so I''ll hopefully have better pics after that. The Marisa is very pretty too and looks great on. I remember it was super poofy! I sat down with it on and said, "Where''s Robbie going to sit?!?"... it took up a bunch of space!
41.gif
But I could always have some crinoline taken out.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm i do not like the mermaid dress on you at all. i think those do not work super well for curvy girls. maybe if you were a lot taller it could work...but in my opinion it makes you look shorter and even curvier when you really aren't.

the 2nd dress is beautiful but it seem like embroidery and detail overkill. are you having a very formal church wedding with like a thousand attendants? that's where i see a cathedral type of dress like that. i like the idea of gold but again that just seems so incredibly formal to me esp with the long train and veil. think princess diana.

the last small picture you have in your original post, i don't know if i missed another thread but i like that one the best! it is simple, it flatters you (your waist looks sooo tiny!!!), and i personally think with your striking dark looks, you don't need that much 'detail' going on with the dress to take away from your beauty. i think that last dress with a beautiful gauzy veil would be wonderful.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mara...the Reem screams formal with its gold embroidery and beading. I guess I''m in the minority but I really like the mermaid on you. I think curvy girls ARE the girls who can pull those off. But my favorite is still the last. With a lace bolero, I think it''s perfect.

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2006 12:44:04 AM
Author: diamondfan
I vote for Reem. It looks great, the color is lovely on your skin tone and WHAT A DEAL. Fits and looks great and is stunning and seventy off? How could you even hestitate? I cannot pull up the other one on my screen (the third one) so cannot see how it compares but boy that is gorgeous. I never liked snow white for wedding dresses anyway, too tough to wear with most skin tones. When is your wedding?

ETA The Marissa did come up. Pretty but not as outstanding as the Reem. Which is more appropriate for your wedding? How adorable are you!
Ha, I know! It''s an absolute DEAL! The sales girl is actually holding it for me I(she offered!) until someone asks about it because she thinks the deal is just insane, the condition is great, it fits, and adores the dress on me. So sweet. Yeah and seriously... 70% off? That''s a ton off! My wedding is July 7th and I''ve been trying to figure out my dress because I need to order it. With the time it takes to ship, alterations, etc, it''s about time for me to order my dress! But with the Reem I wouldn''t have to because I would be buying the sample. How convenient!
9.gif

As far as which is more appropriate, I think any would be fine. The venue is a beautiful blank canvas... the colors go well with my gold accent color since the ballroom is a beigy color. I''ll attach pics and maybe a dress will seem more fitting after I show my venue...

picture004ei4.jpg

picture001sa1.jpg

Those doors shut to the side so it becomes completely open...
picture003ji2.jpg

Ceremony will be outside (this is just outside of the ballroom... those doors in the above pic lead out to the lawn)
picture006yt7.jpg

Oh and anybody have any thoughts on the tattoo issue if I go with the Reem?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I happen to like both, I see Mara''s point that the Reem is more elaborate and sort of begs to be in very elaborate setting, and the Marissa is a bit more simple and lends itself to anything. I just think the Reem is more special. I have a Reem gown that I love. But I also think there is something to having it be HERE and not having to worry about the size you ordered or the dress not showing up in a timely way...it is here, which is great. I really think you cannot go wrong...

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2006 1:03:05 AM
Author: Mara
hmmm i do not like the mermaid dress on you at all. i think those do not work super well for curvy girls. maybe if you were a lot taller it could work...but in my opinion it makes you look shorter and even curvier when you really aren't.

the 2nd dress is beautiful but it seem like embroidery and detail overkill. are you having a very formal church wedding with like a thousand attendants? that's where i see a cathedral type of dress like that. i like the idea of gold but again that just seems so incredibly formal to me esp with the long train and veil. think princess diana.

the last small picture you have in your original post, i don't know if i missed another thread but i like that one the best! it is simple, it flatters you (your waist looks sooo tiny!!!), and i personally think with your striking dark looks, you don't need that much 'detail' going on with the dress to take away from your beauty. i think that last dress with a beautiful gauzy veil would be wonderful.
Hi Mara! I think I'm actually curvier than the mermaid dress shows! It's dreadful! Like I said before, I'm a pear! I love curves, but I feel mine are just not fit for the mermaid. It may look okay... but who wants to look okay on their wedding day? hehe I still love the style, but maybe not for me. And I agree with the Reem being A LOT. The embroidery and beading, etc. I posted pics of my venue and despite the Reem being gorgeous, it may not be appropriate... I'd hate to look overkill or out of place on my wedding day.
Just wanted to add, I remember that I was afraid of picking the Marisa (the last dress) because of the pickups... everyone seem to say that style is trendy, may look dated, blah, blah. Then I read something you posted about trends and such, and I felt so much better afterward. Just wanted to thank you for that.
1.gif
Also, the pickups on the Marisa are softer and drapey, not as drastic and symmetrical as some dresses... so maybe it's not AS trendy?
31.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Chelle, I LOVE the Reem, I swear I saw it and literally said, "OH MY GOODNESS." It;s gorgeous!! The mermaid looks great on curvy ladies, but I just love the Reem on you, it makes you look curvy and slim at the same time, while i think the mermaid calls attention to your hips more than the reem. I hope you''re not offended, I would kill for some hips- I seriously and straight up and down, no hips or waist or anything.
7.gif
Chelle- go REEM!!!! It''s a bargain!

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2006 1:10:12 AM
Author: EBree
I agree with Mara...the Reem screams formal with its gold embroidery and beading. I guess I''m in the minority but I really like the mermaid on you. I think curvy girls ARE the girls who can pull those off. But my favorite is still the last. With a lace bolero, I think it''s perfect.
Thanks Ebree.
1.gif
I really love the Marisa too, especially with a lace bolero! I love lace and it''s a nice way to incorporate it. And I could always take it off. I wish I could take more pics of the Marisa but the shop in my area won''t let me (that one pic was taken when I was in California). Oh well!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG - I have to say I think the Reem looks AMAZING on you. Its WAY more flattering than the other two (IMO), and it makes you look super-tiny and kind of delicate, which is a really nice look to have as a bride. I just think its so gorgeous, and I don''t think its overkill at all - if you''re worried, you could maybe do your hair (low chignon w/ smoothed hair) and makeup and accessories very simple and classic. I think the Reem is an amazing find.

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2006 1:35:44 AM
Author: AmberWaves
Chelle, I LOVE the Reem, I swear I saw it and literally said, ''OH MY GOODNESS.'' It;s gorgeous!! The mermaid looks great on curvy ladies, but I just love the Reem on you, it makes you look curvy and slim at the same time, while i think the mermaid calls attention to your hips more than the reem. I hope you''re not offended, I would kill for some hips- I seriously and straight up and down, no hips or waist or anything.
7.gif
Chelle- go REEM!!!! It''s a bargain!
Ha! You can have some!!
2.gif
Do you think I''d look out of place with the Reem though? I attached pics of my wedding location above...

And to anyone who may have input, with the Reem (or any dress with my back exposed), I''m still worried about the tattoo thing... am I worrying over nothing? I don''t want people to think "Beautiful elegant gown... but OH... nice tat!!!"

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2006 1:41:05 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
OMG - I have to say I think the Reem looks AMAZING on you. Its WAY more flattering than the other two (IMO), and it makes you look super-tiny and kind of delicate, which is a really nice look to have as a bride. I just think its so gorgeous, and I don't think its overkill at all - if you're worried, you could maybe do your hair (low chignon w/ smoothed hair) and makeup and accessories very simple and classic. I think the Reem is an amazing find.
AmberGretchen!!! Oh my goodness! So good to hear from you!
36.gif
Thank you so much for you input. The Reem IS an amazing find! I know it's a matter of taste and preference and everyone's input is so helpful. My problem is that I like everything! To me, it's so hard to choose ONE dress. I actually plan on having my hair down and wavy, with half up. But I also LOVE low wavy loose chignons... so pretty.

ETA: Just wanted to say that you were my inspiration to finally lose weight and get on WW. I lost 22 pounds but gained over half back. Okay, most back.
7.gif
I feel so gross and awful now. I can't believe I let that happen and now I'm struggling to do WW again. *sigh* Will you share some of your willpower please??

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
The Reem Acra is formal, but it''s gorgeous and looks perfect one you!!! The fabric just looks so exquisite. I love ball gowns.
1.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chelle,

I ran into the same problem as you when I went to look for my dress. I am also curvy- not a pear, but more of an hourglass....although my waist is NOT as tiny as yours, and I have broader shoulders
14.gif
...Anyway, I thought I really wanted a mermaid type gown, I love them, but in the end, they just did not work on my body...mermaids, imho, look better on a woman who has a taller, leaner figure...when us shorter, curvier chicks try to get into one it just doesn''t look quite right....Some of the mermaids I couldnt''t even pull past my hips!!!

My salesgirl suggested A-line gowns, so in the end, that''s what I went for, as you know. It flatters my body type, which is somewhat similar to yours...I have to say, I LOVE the Marisa dress on you...it has the A line, and the pickups- which you know I just adore- looks like my dress (LOL!!). I agree with Mara re: the Reem. Its just too much. And in July- can you say- SWEAT!! You will be dying in that dress!!! I never realized how heavy wedding dresses were- some of the gowns I tried on (one particular ballgown) was ridiculously heavy- felt like I was holding a ton of bricks on my body! I couldn''t imagine wearing that all day in the July heat...I would be miserable!

So, if it were up to me and those were my choices, I would pick the Marisa. I love it on you!!!
2.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I really love the reem and the marissa. As far as the tattoo, would wearing your hair all or half down cover it?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
The Reem!!
30.gif

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,
I may be in the minority here, but I really like the 3rd dress best, with the lace bolero.
I don''t think the mermaid is as flattering to you (and did you try sitting in it? i''m a curvy gal too, and it''s a whole different story when you try sitting in those things!)

The second one is gorgeous, the gold is very flattering to your skintone and you look beautiful in it.

However, when I scrolled down and saw the 3rd pic it just struck me.
Your venue is so pretty, and with the venue, the outdoor ceremony, and the summertime wedding, I immediately went to the third gown- it is striking on you, very flattering to your figure, and just seems "cleaner" (does that make sense?) You could incorporate lace that you want with the bolero, you hairstyle could be down or up, and with the cleaner/streamlined gown you can add more bling if you wanted with a tiara, etc. To me it''s formal and classic without being overdone.

Just my opinion. Good luck, you will make a beautiful bride whichever you choose.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
THE REEM!!! When I saw the pictures I actually gasped and thought to myself, "HOLY COW THAT IS GORGEOUS!!!" You look drop dead in it.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I would say no to the mermaid style. It puts too much focus on the hips and makes you look shorter than you are. I''m 5''4" and curvy and the mermaid dresses always looked better on my 5"10 curvy cousin.

Both the Reem and the Marissa look great on you. I guess it depends if you want the focus more on "you" or the "dress." When I look at the pictures of the Reem I focus on the dress instead of you. In a way the dress wears you. With the Marissa I notice "you" just looking beautiful. You wear the dress. The Reem is truly a gorgeous dress and a great deal you just need to decide which dress fits your personality better. Are you general an ornate glitzy girl...then go for the Reem. If you''re more plain with a trendy twist then the Marissa. Either way, you''ll look great.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh, decisions, decisions!

Not a fan of the mermaid.

I think the Reem is simply gorgeous on you!! However, I think that if you go that route, people will be saying "Wow, what a beautiful dress!" because there''s just so much dress that you can''t ignore it, whereas if you go with a simpler dress -- like the Marisa, which is just also drop-dead gorgeous on you -- that people will be saying, "Wow, what a beautiful bride!" And personally, I''d rather have the latter than the former!

But I think you can''t lose if you go with either dress -- you''re just adorable, and you will be a knockout no matter which you wear!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
The REEM is great but I like the Marisa better! I think it would be better with your location choice too.

bec

Rough_Rock
I LOVE the third dress on you and I think that puts that attention on you instead of the dress!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
REEM REEM REEM!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

It is just divine on you!!!!!! You look amazing!!!!!

My second favorite on you is the Marisa. The mermaid looks like a beautiful dress but I agree that it isn''t as flattering on you. I don"t think the Reem will take the attention away from you as the bride at allll!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results