shape
carat
color
clarity

Traveling from Yuma on it''s way to me-Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
last one

tn_IMG_0991.JPG

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
OOooh, pretty!! Your stone photographs very much like my umbalite nova oval cut by BB. I waited around just to see your pics! Gotta get ready now LOL...I have a hot date tonight...it's my hubby
10.gif
). Can't wait to see some more of your stone
2.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 4:48:00 PM
Author: Love in Bloom

OOooh, pretty!! Your stone photographs very much like my umbalite nova oval cut by BB. I waited around just to see your pics! Gotta get ready now LOL...I have a hot date tonight...it''s my hubby
10.gif
). Can''t wait to see some more of your stone
2.gif
Glad I could get some pics in before your date! Have fun with the hubby! And thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you asked for opinions. . .
while I think it''s pretty in certain lighting, it does appear dark in some photos though. Are you still in the debating period, or are you planning on keeping it for sure?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Overall, I like it, it is a stone I would keep. I will say it does seem dark in some photos, but I am not sure if that is just the stone hiding for the camera. And when it lights up, it is a great shade of pink, very vibrant.

I think it looks good with both WG and YG, but I would lean towards WG to let the pink shine (but you should know I prefer WG in general). Because it is a bit on the darker side, I would set it in a prong setting to let as much light in as possible, but I don''t think that it being dark in certain lighting conditions should be a deal breaker.

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think the darker pink tone is mysterious and very lovely; I could see it being frequently asked about. Brighter pinks aren''t my thing but this shade I would definitely wear. I think white gold would be beautiful with it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think both white or yellow gold will look nice. I''d prefer white, but that is what I tend toward in general.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
That''s a cool looking stone. My vote would be for yellow gold, love the contrast.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks as though the stone needs a strong light source to look a vivid pinkish purple in your photograph, while looking quite dark the rest of the time. How does it appear to you in person?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 5:27:46 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Since you asked for opinions. . .
while I think it''s pretty in certain lighting, it does appear dark in some photos though. Are you still in the debating period, or are you planning on keeping it for sure?
I am still in the debating period.

On the way home, we had cloudy skies, and she was all dark and pouting. Then I took her lid off and she perked right up when I wasn''t looking at her through the plastic lid. I haven''t had a chance to email Barry with some follow up discussions.

My heart says to keep her. However, I can''t afford to collect stones if I''m not intending to set them somehow. So I have to determine if I will like it enough to set it. I''ll do a little more looking at her tomorrow. She has sort of won me over because there are a lot of gorgeous looks. I just wonder if I could wait a wee bit and find one a bit lighter. I''ll have to gauge the regret factor if I send her back. Right now I think I might regret it.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 5:39:17 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Overall, I like it, it is a stone I would keep. I will say it does seem dark in some photos, but I am not sure if that is just the stone hiding for the camera. And when it lights up, it is a great shade of pink, very vibrant.

I think it looks good with both WG and YG, but I would lean towards WG to let the pink shine (but you should know I prefer WG in general). Because it is a bit on the darker side, I would set it in a prong setting to let as much light in as possible, but I don''t think that it being dark in certain lighting conditions should be a deal breaker.
This stone is a hard one to decide on as it''s dark moments really aren''t all bad, but it does get them.

It does look nice in both metals, which is pretty surprising to me.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 7:45:27 PM
Author: CBL
I think the darker pink tone is mysterious and very lovely; I could see it being frequently asked about. Brighter pinks aren''t my thing but this shade I would definitely wear. I think white gold would be beautiful with it.
That''s kinda where I''m at too. There is something about it that I''m drawn to. On the way home, it even tried to act like a well cut amethyst and showed some purple look. It is a curious one to behold.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 11:41:38 PM
Author: Chrono
It looks as though the stone needs a strong light source to look a vivid pinkish purple in your photograph, while looking quite dark the rest of the time. How does it appear to you in person?
It''s dark most of the time, but constantly flashing up the lighter tones. What do you think???

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 2:54:00 PM
Author: cinnamon013
LovingGems - How are you going to set your garnet from Barry? Yours appears much less red, and is more of the color I typically like.

Love in Bloom - the Etsy designer that is doing my two stone ring works in green gold too, so I think that would be an option if it turns out to be a complimentary metal to the stone. I always love getting input from Barry. He is very honest and communicates easily.

Stone Hunter - I hope it comes in the mail today!
Hi C

Love your photos, and it looks like your garnet can look pretty firey in some lightings. However, if you aren''t 100% happy you can always choose something else, Barry just posted some new stones on his website and he''ll surely post lots more new ones in the future. Btw I am setting my tourmaline in a sterling silver and yellow gold semi bezel setting.

I haven''t decide on how to set my garnet yet but I am entertaining a few options. My first choice is a modern pink gold setting but I think it''ll be pretty hard to get that shade of pink gold unless I am willing to get a really expensive custom setting. My other option is a white gold lotus setting from Sally. My third choice is a diamond band because I think the diamonds will reflect more light onto the garnet, and I have a parcel of small transitional diamonds on its way.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 1:08:34 AM
Author: Lovinggems

Date: 5/22/2009 2:54:00 PM
LovingGems - How are you going to set your garnet from Barry? Yours appears much less red, and is more of the color I typically like.

Love in Bloom - the Etsy designer that is doing my two stone ring works in green gold too, so I think that would be an option if it turns out to be a complimentary metal to the stone. I always love getting input from Barry. He is very honest and communicates easily.

Stone Hunter - I hope it comes in the mail today!
Hi C

Love your photos, and it looks like your garnet can look pretty firey in some lightings. However, if you aren''t 100% happy you can always choose something else, Barry just posted some new stones on his website and he''ll surely post lots more new ones in the future. Btw I am setting my tourmaline in a sterling silver and yellow gold semi bezel setting.

I haven''t decide on how to set my garnet yet but I am entertaining a few options. My first choice is a modern pink gold setting but I think it''ll be pretty hard to get that shade of pink gold unless I am willing to get a really expensive custom setting. My other option is a white gold lotus setting from Sally. My third choice is a diamond band because I think the diamonds will reflect more light onto the garnet, and I have a parcel of small transitional diamonds on its way.
For a custom setting in pink gold, check with Pal at pmgart on etsy. He is doing a custom ring in 18k for me on another project and he is awesome and well priced.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a well cut stone. How does it look in sunlight? Are you still finding that it''s dark for you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 12:21:14 AM
It''s dark most of the time, but constantly flashing up the lighter tones. What do you think???
If that''s the case and you like to set your stones, you have to love it 100%. Barry is constantly cutting new material so I''m sure something less dark but equally beautiful will come along if you have the patience to wait for it.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 2:09:28 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 5/23/2009 12:21:14 AM
If that''s the case and you like to set your stones, you have to love it 100%. Barry is constantly cutting new material so I''m sure something less dark but equally beautiful will come along if you have the patience to wait for it.
You''re right. I haven''t decided one way or the other, but if by the end of the weekend I''m not completely sold, I''ll return it. I think it will make someone a terrific pendant if I return it. It does deserve a wonderful home!! Thanks for your input.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I found something else from Barry already! So regrettfully, this mysterious rose beauty is going back to Barry. I think it will make someone a super awesome pendant as it looks very, very pretty when I pretend it is a pendant and hold it up with my little gem holder. If you are interested in it, send Barry an email. I won''t get it in the mail until Tuesday because of the holiday, but he should have it by Thursday or Friday at the latest. I think it would look great in either WG or YG, maybe even RG!!!!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cinnamon!
35.gif

What did you get????

Lori

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Lori,
HELLO!
35.gif

A super duper tourmaline that Barry says has a pad look to it. And it is large! (i gave up on garnets for now.)

Per Barry:

T-6142 Tourmaline(J)4.81 cts., 11.3x9.5mm Supernova oval{Gec:N]. This is one of the tourmalines from Cabo del Gato,Mozambique, that shifts from a rich pink in natural light to a peachy pink in incandescent light. Flawless at 10x. BB

It's the oval on the left. I also love that cushion on the right, but decided to go for the oval!!

36.gif
30.gif
36.gif

MVC-152S.JPG

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
WOW....WHAT A BEAUTY!!! How are you going to set it??? I can''t wait to see it IRL.....YIPPEE!!!
30.gif
36.gif

Lori

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJJ,
I love Barry''s supernova ovals, I can''t wait to see your pics of it.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 9:03:07 PM
Author: loriken214
WOW....WHAT A BEAUTY!!! How are you going to set it??? I can''t wait to see it IRL.....YIPPEE!!!
30.gif
36.gif

Lori
Gosh, Lori, I don''t know! Do you have a similar oval from him that is a touch smaller? Do you think it would be too big for a east/west ring? What would you suggest?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
TL - what size is the peachy oval garnet that you have from Barry?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 9:08:46 PM
I''m really bad, but I don''t remember!!
emembarrassed.gif

I think it was around 3 carats, or something like 2.8 carats.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 9:18:07 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 5/23/2009 9:08:46 PM
I''m really bad, but I don''t remember!!
emembarrassed.gif

I think it was around 3 carats, or something like 2.8 carats.
so like 8x6 mm? Or so? Do you have a photo of it set? I didn''t see it anywhere. Your garnet is lovely and I hope my tourmaline turns out like that.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 9:07:47 PM

Date: 5/23/2009 9:03:07 PM
Author: loriken214
30.gif
36.gif

Lori
Gosh, Lori, I don''t know! Do you have a similar oval from him that is a touch smaller? Do you think it would be too big for a east/west ring? What would you suggest?
I LOVE the E/W look! My oval is sitting here and I need to see how big she is.....I''ll play around with mine, but I think it would look GREAT in a setting like that!

Lori

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think everyone is going to kill me if I post another pic of this ring, I've posted it so many times all over PS.

Oh well, here's one from my new camera I hope I don't get chased down with pitchforks. It's in 18K rose gold with upgraded diamonds here. I love the LOGR. It's very delicate, but not cheap looking.

It's this setting

http://cgi.ebay.com/OVAL-7x9MM-DIAMOND-14K-WHITE-GOLD-WEMI-MOUNT-RING_W0QQitemZ370202550282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item5631caa00a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

TLMalayasunset.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results