shape
carat
color
clarity

Traveling from Yuma on it''s way to me-Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock

With all the pretty ovals coming from Barry recently, I caught the bug. I asked him what he had available and he brought this little lady out. She is a garnet and quite the deep thinker with her depth of color. Barry said if I take her out and play with her and we just don''t get along, I can certainly return her.

9.gif

I appreciate his eye and hope I like her! I’ve not usually considered stones this dark, but with Barry’s cutting style, I’m hopeful she will have a lot of sparkle and life. I must have looked at this picture 50 times already!

When I asked him for some commentary on the color, he said she’s not much darker than a good ruby. A little more red in some lights than the picture shows and a little darker sometimes, but not overly dark.

I know I only have the one picture of it, but what do you think?

10.gif
Who else has stones from him with deep color like this? Once it comes in, I’ll be posting some additional photos, but I’d sure like to get a little feedback to help me pass the time while I wait for the donkey to deliver her up here to good ol’ Denver. Post any links or pictures of similar garnets you own or know of!

What metals would you suggest?
2.gif

MVC-096S.JPG

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely lovely colour. I would use white gold, that''s my preference.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
chamois - one vote for white gold! Thanks for your nice comments.

I forgot to add that it's a tanga and is 8.2mm x 7.2mm and weighs 2.44 cts.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I love that color
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I agree, white metal would be so beautiful.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 2:21:07 PM
Author: Linda W
Oh I love that color
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I agree, white metal would be so beautiful.
Two votes for white! Thanks Linda!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think she''s lovely! I would put her in either yellow or pink gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Tangas I''ve seen posted by PS''ers from Barry are typically on the dark side. This appears to have a nice pink cast to it though. There''s really no way to tell what kind of metal to use until you get it at home and see it in various light sources. I would stay away from bezels.

Please post pictures and your thoughts when you receive it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not appear overly dark in the picture. I might do yellow metal to bring out the pink undertone and lessen the dark contrast. Definately no bezel or enclosed type setting for this garnet.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Kismet - I''m wondering what a yellow or pink gold might look like. If it stone has the right tone, a pink gold might work. Thanks for your input.

TL - I''m hopeful that it is not too dark and it does seem to have the pinkness to it that could make it work. I''m definitely thinking to stay away from bezeling it.

Chrono - so you think yellow gold might bring out the pink? That is an interesting thought. I''ll have to place her along with some yellow gold when she comes in.

Thanks ya''ll!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boy that sure is a pretty little gem you got there! I really like white metals with pinkish stone, but thats jut me personally

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I really like that colour. I''m also voting for white gold.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
D&T, kribbie, and SanDiegoLady - Thanks for your input! I hope to get it tomorrow, because if not, it will be after the holiday since I had it sent to my office.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That is a very pretty shade of pink. Based on that pic, I would set it in WG.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for white gold, or silver.
I have a medium dark supernova oval as well, and it glows in certain lighting.

t-6089g_1819_general.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
LtlFirecracker - Thanks! It seems I have many more votes for white gold...

Lovinggems - Glad to see you like your darker oval from Barry. I just checked out your thread and that tourmaline is awesome. It's been my experience so far (not sure if this is the norm or not), but tourmalines seem to do better in different lighting over garnets. It seems garnets are a little more finicky, so I hope mine is as pretty as your green one.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 9:07:54 AM
Author: cinnamon013
LtlFirecracker - Thanks! It seems I have many more votes for white gold...

Lovinggems - Glad to see you like your darker oval from Barry. I just checked out your thread and that tourmaline is awesome. It''s been my experience so far (not sure if this is the norm or not), but tourmalines seem to do better in different lighting over garnets. It seems garnets are a little more finicky, so I hope mine is as pretty as your green one.
I hope this oval is what you''re looking for too, it looks really promising. Please post more photos if you can.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
3Date: 5/21/2009 1:52:46 PM
Author:cinnamon01

When I asked him for some commentary on the color, he said she’s not much darker than a good ruby. A little more red in some lights than the picture shows and a little darker sometimes, but not overly dark.
I can never pick with metals, so I would go with two-tone. Maybe white and green gold? Sheesh your garnet looks amazing in the pic. Barry's commentary has me intrigued. Can't wait to see your pics when you get it!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
His picture looks really nice. Can''t wait to see how the color is IRL. Please post photos when you can!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
LovingGems - How are you going to set your garnet from Barry? Yours appears much less red, and is more of the color I typically like.

Love in Bloom - the Etsy designer that is doing my two stone ring works in green gold too, so I think that would be an option if it turns out to be a complimentary metal to the stone. I always love getting input from Barry. He is very honest and communicates easily.

Stone Hunter - I hope it comes in the mail today!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Nice color--I like the idea of yellow gold.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 2:54:00 PM
Author: cinnamon013

Love in Bloom - the Etsy designer that is doing my two stone ring works in green gold too, so I think that would be an option if it turns out to be a complimentary metal to the stone. I always love getting input from Barry. He is very honest and communicates easily.
OOhh, I love the possibilities! Barry is great; I hope your garnet reaches you today!
2.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
She''s here!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Get that camera crackin'' lady, we need pictures!

!!!
4.gif
!!!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
She is a true lady. So hard to photograph, though. A beauty. Pictures coming...

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for fingerprints! I was sneaking around my office taking photographs, trying to be careful not to drop it, getting different lights, etc. I''ll try and take some others later when there is more time and better lighting, but I wanted to get a few up for everyone to see.

It is indeed a bit dark, but not in any sort of bad way. There is some lighting that is dark in, but then very quickly it hits some facets and the prettiest rose color flashes out.

First, as you know, I like to match my gemstones to a bottle of some kind of flavored water that magically seems to be sitting on my desk the day a gem arrives. Today''s gem matches the black and blue berry Lifewater 0 calorie Sobe! Dark yet flashing a bit of berry-ness.

301_SLWZero_BlackBlueBerry.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
The stone flashes a bit more rosy pink mostly though.

tn_IMG_0951.JPG

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
With a little platinum and diamonds. YUM!

tn_IMG_0970.JPG

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
With fingerprints. UGH. (Well they all have fingerprints, sorry!)

With 18k yellow gold. YUM.

tn_IMG_0976111.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results