shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel ring help needed

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald cuts are dirt magnets..Run it through the Magnasonic and see if it’s better...

Oh I will. Lol. Just didn’t feel like doing it today... yu know I’m depressed when I won’t clean my diamonds

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b jinx lol

Look at my single stone inspiration ring with the bezel

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, I have thought about selling these bands many times because they are too large to wear with a solitaire unless it’s like 1.5 carats or more. I used to wear them with my .75 round solitaire but they were hella overpowering.

They are so classic though, and I do love them, but they have literally been sitting in the box for years and years and years. Probably since 2014. That is such a shame to me.

I don’t want to have too many things in my collection. I don’t want to have things I don’t wear.

Blah, I think what I really need is sunshine.

If i could id box up some sunshine and post it to you and you can semd us some cloud and a few good drizzly days for my garden
I love those two bands with the plan band in between

What about setting the ring in question on a wider band ?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If i could id box up some sunshine and post it to you and you can semd us some cloud and a few good drizzly days for my garden
I love those two bands with the plan band in between

What about setting the ring in question on a wider band ?

Seriously, if only. It’s like Seattle over here. Or London.

That is an interesting idea about a wider band, thanks.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty stone, but it needs a little more presence on your hand. I'm all for the carre cut colored stone halo idea - would be awesome and give it some zing! And then I'd definitely set it in rose gold. Bit more harmonious and the warmer tint would be an advantage, rather than something you were trying to hide. Blue looks very flattering with brown tones, so london topaz carre cuts would look fabulous, as would blue spinel, if it had a brighter blue tone. But I'd go with topaz, I think. Then in rose, it would just look fabulous!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty stone, but it needs a little more presence on your hand. I'm all for the carre cut colored stone halo idea - would be awesome and give it some zing! And then I'd definitely set it in rose gold. Bit more harmonious and the warmer tint would be an advantage, rather than something you were trying to hide. Blue looks very flattering with brown tones, so london topaz carre cuts would look fabulous, as would blue spinel, if it had a brighter blue tone. But I'd go with topaz, I think. Then in rose, it would just look fabulous!

Thanks for those ideas!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So how are ovals in terms of sparkle and scintillation? I found a G color oval that would basically be a lateral move in terms of size, but would give me the color I love and maybe just more jazzy for my eyes? It’s a little more money.

I also found a K color round that might work that would hardly cost any money to get with this trade in?

So I guess I’m trading in?

I don’t want to show these stones as I would just hope they stay in inventory for several months lol

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
So how are ovals in terms of sparkle and scintillation? I found a G color oval that would basically be a lateral move in terms of size, but would give me the color I love and maybe just more jazzy for my eyes? It’s a little more money.

I also found a K color round that might work that would hardly cost any money to get with this trade in?

So I guess I’m trading in?

I don’t want to show these stones as I would just hope they stay in inventory for several months lol

I love the emerald as it is! :kiss2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the emerald as it is! :kiss2:

I have to wait until we get sun again and appreciate it more. It’s very tinted on overcast days.

I do like mrsB’s idea about a blue halo and set it in rose gold

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would definitely set this emerald in rose gold and either make a 3 stone or the CS halo could be awesome. Fun for a travel ring too! Whichever is more you. I loved the singlestone setting you picked, would do that in RG or East West with two little rounds on the sides would be very pretty too. Also, understated enough for travel.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
I have to wait until we get sun again and appreciate it more. It’s very tinted on overcast days.

I do like mrsB’s idea about a blue halo and set it in rose gold

If you decide to go with something else, I call dibs! ;)2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok.

Problem #1 is solved. It was FILTHY. I did a giant deep clean and it looks so much nicer, which leads me to

Problem #2 which is I think an emerald cut, as elegant and refined as it is just isn’t sparky enough for me.

Now, do I add sparkle or what, I don’t know.

First world problems continue....

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t know if you are still wavering or not:
Are you willing to get some of your Sandawana‘s shaved down to fit snugly?
ECAA6846-ACFE-438B-A2D1-EA77520673D0.jpeg
You’d most likely need to, guessing, to get a halo somewhat like this
92447A43-6FA0-4AC3-B4D1-7A20DBD5C632.jpeg
Or incorporate metal inbetween the stones somewhat like this
720710AB-E57E-4698-8F36-9757D22E5FAB.jpeg
Or like a EC/baguette halo August Vintage did recently for someone here - can’t find it- but it had metal in between the halo stones as well.

And warm diamonds always looks great (IMO) with pink/red as well!
27DF5879-0FA9-434E-A5FE-0AE514707ECB.jpeg

But neither of those address your requirement for more sparkle.......

still curious if traditional looking halos like these can be made removable and swappable, and look like these pictured - or by nature are more ‘party’ looking? But I digress......

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My field is color perception. Here are some thoughts that might be helpful.

When contrast in tone (tone = light to dark scale) is increased in neighboring objects, our eyes don't register subtle color variations in those objects. Think of this as a visual slight of hand. We see the light/dark contrast right away and that's where our thoughts are directed. There is only so much sensory intake humans can focus on at one time, so we don't perceive the color nearly as much (color takes a back seat) when contrast in tone is heightened.

Contrast in color of neighboring objects has the opposite affect -- it accentuates the color difference between the objects. For example if you have a yellow object and you place a purple object next to it (purple is the opposite of yellow) then your yellow object will look much more yellow. If you do the opposite and place a yellow-er object down next to your original mildly yellow object, then the original object will appear much less yellow. Color is relative.

So what does this mean for your ring? I think you won't notice the warmth of your current diamond if you halo it with a contrasting tone, (a darker stone) and the more contrasting, the less you will notice your diamond's warmth.

You can make your diamond appear cooler in color by placing warmer colored stones next to it. (You may not like the color combination this creates, but that's a different matter.)

You probably already know all of this, but I thought I'd post it just in case it is useful.

PS: I really like the emerald and ruby halos @Rfisher posted!

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Just some random visual ideas for halos.

You'll need to use your imagination a bit as the center stones aren't emerald cut diamonds. But I thought some of them are pretty. I kind of like the look of east-west haloed stones.

Example with Contrast.png Example with double halo.png Example of East west haloed.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t know if you are still wavering or not:
Are you willing to get some of your Sandawana‘s shaved down to fit snugly?
ECAA6846-ACFE-438B-A2D1-EA77520673D0.jpeg
You’d most likely need to, guessing, to get a halo somewhat like this
92447A43-6FA0-4AC3-B4D1-7A20DBD5C632.jpeg
Or incorporate metal inbetween the stones somewhat like this
720710AB-E57E-4698-8F36-9757D22E5FAB.jpeg
Or like a EC/baguette halo August Vintage did recently for someone here - can’t find it- but it had metal in between the halo stones as well.

And warm diamonds always looks great (IMO) with pink/red as well!
27DF5879-0FA9-434E-A5FE-0AE514707ECB.jpeg

But neither of those address your requirement for more sparkle.......

still curious if traditional looking halos like these can be made removable and swappable, and look like these pictured - or by nature are more ‘party’ looking? But I digress......

Thank you for helping! I think I’m leaning toward trading it in. I want to sit on that for a while though.

My asscher is flashy, so I guess I assumed an emerald could be too. It’s beautiful but It’s not flashy.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just some random visual ideas for halos.

You'll need to use your imagination a bit as the center stones aren't emerald cut diamonds. But I thought some of them are pretty. I kind of like the look of east-west haloed stones.

Example with Contrast.png Example with double halo.png Example of East west haloed.png

Oooh, I do love those.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@whitewave I completely get you. I adore well cut Asschers but I could not get used to an EC. It acted too much like glass to me which was shocking since I thought it was such a sleek, minimalistic, classy and elegant cut. Yet it was like a big window that everything showed through even the setting.

Now I know that emerald cuts are not for me. I do love them on others but I will choose other cuts for me. I definitely do not need the splintery flashes of MRBs, my preference is old cuts and I do like some other fancy shapes.

If how your EC is performing is bothering you now, I think the solution is to switch to a different cut instead of trying to fix it and flushing money down the drain since you may still not be happy at the end.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My field is color perception. Here are some thoughts that might be helpful.

When contrast in tone (tone = light to dark scale) is increased in neighboring objects, our eyes don't register subtle color variations in those objects. Think of this as a visual slight of hand. We see the light/dark contrast right away and that's where our thoughts are directed. There is only so much sensory intake humans can focus on at one time, so we don't perceive the color nearly as much (color takes a back seat) when contrast in tone is heightened.

Contrast in color of neighboring objects has the opposite affect -- it accentuates the color difference between the objects. For example if you have a yellow object and you place a purple object next to it (purple is the opposite of yellow) then your yellow object will look much more yellow. If you do the opposite and place a yellow-er object down next to your original mildly yellow object, then the original object will appear much less yellow. Color is relative.

So what does this mean for your ring? I think you won't notice the warmth of your current diamond if you halo it with a contrasting tone, (a darker stone) and the more contrasting, the less you will notice your diamond's warmth.

You can make your diamond appear cooler in color by placing warmer colored stones next to it. (You may not like the color combination this creates, but that's a different matter.)

You probably already know all of this, but I thought I'd post it just in case it is useful.

PS: I really like the emerald and ruby halos @Rfisher posted!

Thank you!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a wild card stone that on first glance is all wrong. High color, really low clarity, strong blue Fluor and from the price, it must be milky and cloudy. I put in a request for pics and video.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I completely get you. I adore well cut Asschers but I could not get used to an EC. It acted too much like glass to me which was shocking since I thought it was such a sleek, minimalistic, classy and elegant cut. Yet it was like a big window that everything showed through even the setting.

Now I know that emerald cuts are not for me. I do love them on others but I will choose other cuts for me. I definitely do not need the splintery flashes of MRBs, my preference is old cuts and I do like some other fancy shapes.

If how your EC is performing is bothering you now, I think the solution is to switch to a different cut instead of trying to fix it and flushing money down the drain since you may still not be happy at the end.

Yes, this is exactly the conclusion I have come to— no need to throw more more at it, when the problem is I’m crushed to discover I’m not an emerald cut person.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Yeah step cuts don’t really sparkle the way rounds do. They do more of a shimmer than a glare lol.

Personally I’d do a sleek EW band in a lux high karat yellow gold :D application_assets_catalog_products_all_PD373W-33_IMG_5948 copy.jpg

I love this! Do you know where it’s from?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results