shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel ring help needed

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so it’s been raining for like a month and I’m depressed and bored.

My travel ring is a 1.2c M color vvs1 with faint fluro and light brown body tint. The price was a steal. I had it set in a whitegold 4 prong setting.
C8CEFF07-EF73-4A7F-B6D7-40E72B6738CC.jpeg

Not a great pic. Will try to get a better pic although it is again dreary and overcast.
C9527840-5756-41D7-B1D6-428EF8A3ED6B.jpeg
Surprisingly, because I’m a lower clarity higher color person, I mostly like this stone. As far as emerald cuts go, it’s a great diamond and performs well.

I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with it because it’s short on size (I hate that I love square and rectangle shapes) and the tint bothers me, though not as much as I assumed it would.

My choices and thought processes are:

1) change it to a yellow gold setting and add small side stones. I’m very attracted to this singlestone setting (though I usually don’t care to bezel a step cut):
EC7379CC-337E-436A-B4CC-62E9581F982E.jpeg

2) trade it in for a Wxyz more yellow stone.

3) something altogether different, like trade in for a KLM color MRB

4) keep as is

My consideration is keeping the ring lower cost and not making it flashy but giving myself some more finger coverage or something more jazzy to look at.

I believe the ring all in was $1600 or maybe $1800 from B2C where their upgrade policy is give up 20% and then do what you want. IIRC

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, if you were reading while I was typing, I had to switch devices for photos. Uugh.

So anyway, would a yellow setting with a bezel zap some of the tint out? Like a tricky trick?

Any ideas?

I wouldn’t want to make the ring in the end more than about 3-4K which is still much less than my asscher value.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think you'll see the tint in a yg setting but it may be more harmonious to your eye if that makes sense. if it bugs you, maybe try selling for what you paid and start over, looking for a spready radiant or something like that?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think you'll see the tint in a yg setting but it may be more harmonious to your eye if that makes sense. if it bugs you, maybe try selling for what you paid and start over, looking for a spready radiant or something like that?

I could kick myself because I had found two .60 emerald cuts at B2C that were inexpensive and would have been great side stones, but when I went to check them last night, they both are no longer available.

I get what you are saying about more harmonious, and I agree. I love yellow stones. It’s this middle tinted but not quite yellow that I don’t know what to do with!!

One vendor I had met in person checked it out and said it was a great stone and he offered a potential future trade for it if I was ever interested. So that’s another choice.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idk sounds like you need larger to scratch that itch and believe me I feel you on this one. I would go larger and yellower or whiter because as you say you don’t love the middle range. I agree on that too. Get what you want within budget because that’s all that will scratch your itch the right way. IMO.

Also would you prefer a 3 stone or a solitaire or even a halo/bezel? I mean if you want a solitaire that’s what you should get. Don’t settle. For a travel ER I love a solitaire. But that’s me. This is for you. ♥️

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idk sounds like you need larger to scratch that itch and believe me I feel you on this one. I would go larger and yellower or whiter because as you say you don’t love the middle range. I agree on that too. Get what you want within budget because that’s all that will scratch your itch the right way. IMO.

Also would you prefer a 3 stone or a solitaire or even a halo/bezel? I mean if you want a solitaire that’s what you should get. Don’t settle. For a travel ER I love a solitaire. But that’s me. This is for you. ♥

Yes, yes and yes. I should probably figure out how much redoing the ring with sidestones would cost and just look for a new something.

I don’t really need this anyway. I have two 1 carat bands that are just sitting in their resting place that I could use to cover all points. Let me go take a pic.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@whitewave How about setting it east to west with little rounds..one on each side? I think it would give you more finger coverage. You could also bezel them to make the size increase a bit..I would go with yellow gold to blend with the color..It’s a beautiful diamond!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, yes and yes. I should probably figure out how much redoing the ring with sidestones would cost and just look for a new something.

I don’t really need this anyway. I have two 1 carat bands that are just sitting in their resting place that I could use to cover all points. Let me go take a pic.

Hahaha who “needs” anything re bling. I mean we are PSers so shhh. :shhh: I don’t want them to take away our PS card. :lol:

CFBDDC47-D9D1-457D-8555-C56582E4C47B.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave How about setting it east to west with little rounds..one on each side? I think it would give you more finger coverage. You could also bezel them to make the size increase a bit..I would go with yellow gold to blend with the color..It’s a beautiful diamond!

That’s a great idea and another choice.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha who “needs” anything re bling. I mean we are PSers so shhh. :shhh: I don’t want them to take away our PS card. :lol:

CFBDDC47-D9D1-457D-8555-C56582E4C47B.jpeg

I know, talk about first world problems.

I just wanted something shiny to look at and not necessarily draw attention to it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, talk about first world problems.

I just wanted something shiny to look at and not necessarily draw attention to it.

Believe me I’m not judging. Far from it. Nothing wrong with having bling on our mind. It brings us joy and what is the purpose of life? Do good and leave the world a little better than we found it and have some joy along the way. You go girl ♥️

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too blingy?
890214C8-495E-46E2-8BE6-94C0A16C857C.png DCCA6030-9409-44FC-AF9F-8DBB0DC6C9D8.jpeg 8271D8FD-CD7B-44B6-984A-E4401CC4690C.jpeg

@whitewave Definitely not too blingy! If you’re comfortable just wearing bands that’s a pretty choice..I always have to have some type of stone on my left hand with a band or I get anxiety. hahaha...I did that on a trip and I couldn’t wait to get home to put my ering on. I had extreme withdrawal...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Definitely not too blingy! If you’re comfortable just wearing bands that’s a pretty choice..I always have to have some type of stone on my left hand with a band or I get anxiety. hahaha...I did that on a trip and I couldn’t wait to get home to out my ering on. I had extreme withdrawal...

I know, I have thought about selling these bands many times because they are too large to wear with a solitaire unless it’s like 1.5 carats or more. I used to wear them with my .75 round solitaire but they were hella overpowering.

They are so classic though, and I do love them, but they have literally been sitting in the box for years and years and years. Probably since 2014. That is such a shame to me.

I don’t want to have too many things in my collection. I don’t want to have things I don’t wear.

Blah, I think what I really need is sunshine.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@whitewave I just thought that maybe you can check Yvonne Raley out on Etsy. She has pairs of stones that are inexpensive. It would look beautiful with colored side stones..

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I just thought that maybe you can check Yvonne Ralet out on Etsy. She has pairs of stones that are inexpensive. it Would look beautiful with colored side stones..

Now that is an interesting thought, thanks.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that is an interesting thought, thanks.

I misspelled her name..Her last name is Raley..I just went over to look and they had a pair of yellows..

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So who has vision?

Would it be crazy bad if I did a colored stone halo?

Like these rubies?

Or pink spinel?

Or red spinel?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and bty, this would be placed at the end of the project list line.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Blah, I think what I really need is sunshine.
I just went over to look and they had a pair of yellows..

Not to enable or anything but with a pair of yellow sidestones you could summon up your own sunshine on your finger! Although your yellow daisy maybe already fills that role?

Edit - just saw your post re a coloured halo and love the idea. Would you want a coloured halo to amp up the yellow undertone you see in your stone or to try to minimise it?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to enable or anything but with a pair of yellow sidestones you could summon up your own sunshine on your finger! Although your yellow daisy maybe already fills that role?

Edit - just saw your post re a coloured halo and love the idea. Would you want a coloured halo to amp up the yellow undertone you see in your stone or to try to minimise it?

Either I suppose lol. I have always liked the idea of pink lemonade.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or pink sapphire since its my birthstone, and I could add to my blue sapphire and yellow sapphire collection

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha how are you supposed to do this? 01F41EEF-D82F-401C-9F92-20DA7366819F.jpeg

I probably have enough of these sprinkle size Sandawana emerald melee to make a thin halo

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty on its own @whitewave..

I know. I guess that is why I hate to sell it or trade it in. It’s dirty, but it’s a very nice emerald cut.

So maybe if I Jazz it up a tad, it will shine.

That’s not even a good pic of it. It’s not that yellow usually. I think it is throwing more tint because it’s so overcast today. This is the most tinted it appears.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may make my way over to our one bench jeweler in town and see what he thinks about adding the emeralds. Maybe I can save the shank and just do minimal work, etc.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know. I guess that is why I hate to sell it or trade it in. It’s dirty, but it’s a very nice emerald cut.

So maybe if I Jazz it up a tad, it will shine.

That’s not even a good pic of it. It’s not that yellow usually. I think it is throwing more tint because it’s so overcast today. This is the most tinted it appears.

Emerald cuts are dirt magnets..Run it through the Magnasonic and see if it’s better...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results