shape
carat
color
clarity

Trading a round brilliant for an OEC?

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Would I be absolutely insane to even go down that road? I saw some OECs for the first time recently and fell in love with the chunky facets. And I really love Art Deco (original or reproduction) settings, and I think they look even more amazing with OEC stones. I have a 1.5 carat round now and I'd like to get around the same size - unless I could go bigger. Of course. ;-) I wish that I had the funds to have both but that's not happening. has anyone ever done this? What was your experience? Or can anyone give me any advice on where to even start. Or tell me that I am crazy to even consider it.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So many people here have gone down the OEC road from MRB. There's no right or wrong, it's just what your eyes prefer. I have both, but I wear my OEC more often. I'd spend some time poring over the OEC thread in SMTB and finding a local antique store to see some in person.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1465947555|4044087 said:
So many people here have gone down the OEC road from MRB. There's no right or wrong, it's just what your eyes prefer. I have both, but I wear my OEC more often. I'd spend some time poring over the OEC thread in SMTB and finding a local antique store to see some in person.

Oh I have poured over them! That's what started it all. Following jewels by grace on IG isn't helping me either. And on a recent trip to New Orleans I saw some REALLY nice OECs. I just don't even know where I would start? Finding a vendor that would open to a trade? Or sell my diamond privately? We don't have many local stores with OECs in the 1.5-2 carat range I don't think. Unless they are hiding somewhere!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
unsettled|1465948364|4044095 said:
liaerfbv|1 :naughty: 465947555|4044087 said:

Oh I have poured over them! That's what started it all. Following jewels by grace on IG isn't helping me either. And on a recent trip to New Orleans I saw some REALLY nice OECs. I just don't even know where I would start? Finding a vendor that would open to a trade? Or sell my diamond privately? We don't have many local stores with OECs in the 1.5-2 carat range I don't think. Unless they are hiding somewhere!

I consigned my MRB with Grace and had her find me the OEC I have now. It's not a bad way to go. :naughty:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also reach out to Adam at OWD - I believe he'd be willing to take a MRB for an OEC trade-in/up.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And another vote for contacting Adam at OWD. I traded my MRB with him for a gorgeous OEC over 2 years ago and I am so happy and still thrilled with my OEC ER. Of course it is a personal choice only you can decide but check out OWD because they have IMO the best selection of old cuts. And of course see as many as you can to figure out what appeals to you. Good luck and enjoy!

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
missy said:
And another vote for contacting Adam at OWD. I traded my MRB with him for a gorgeous OEC over 2 years ago and I am so happy and still thrilled with my OEC ER. Of course it is a personal choice only you can decide but check out OWD because they have IMO the best selection of old cuts. And of course see as many as you can to figure out what appeals to you. Good luck and enjoy!

PintoBean|1465953528|4044121 said:
I'd also reach out to Adam at OWD - I believe he'd be willing to take a MRB for an OEC trade-in/up.

I sent an email to OWD to find out how the process even works. Ideally, I would like an even trade. But I don't know if that is a reasonable hope. I have my eye on some settings already, but I just think they would look so much better with an OEC.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I very seriously doubt they will do an even trade with even specs. They will offer you wholesale on your current diamond and then you will be buying the new diamond at retail. Many people have traded in a diamond with Adam and bought an OEC. BUT, my warning is to not do the trade until he finds you the right replacement stone. I know of someone who did the trade and then he didn't come up with an acceptable OEC with the specs she wanted and she had to go with a modern stone which was difficult since he apparently had limited options.

I would recommend maybe dropping color to get a larger size than you have now. The bigger the stone, the better you can appreciate the facet pattern. You are seeing highly magnified photos here, and some people here have 3-5 ct OECs!

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1466001572|4044304 said:
I very seriously doubt they will do an even trade with even specs. They will offer you wholesale on your current diamond and then you will be buying the new diamond at retail. Many people have traded in a diamond with Adam and bought an OEC. BUT, my warning is to not do the trade until he finds you the right replacement stone. I know of someone who did the trade and then he didn't come up with an acceptable OEC with the specs she wanted and she had to go with a modern stone which was difficult since he apparently had limited options.

I would recommend maybe dropping color to get a larger size than you have now. The bigger the stone, the better you can appreciate the facet pattern. You are seeing highly magnified photos here, and some people here have 3-5 ct OECs!

He actually already got back to me on an offer just off my GIA report. And it is not feasible for me at this time. Maybe one day I will have an extra $6-8K to upgrade the size of my stone. Because I am afraid that in a 1.5 carat OEC, I wouldn't be able to appreciate the facet pattern. And my current stone is very nice (to me anyway). So I don't want to let it go for a low price. But at least I know what I have to save up for!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree that larger stones are more appealing to me, but I can appreciate the OEC flavor down to 5mm. Smaller than that, I can't see the facets. I think a 1.5ct OEC would give you plenty of surface area to enjoy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unsettled|1466002231|4044308 said:
diamondseeker2006|1466001572|4044304 said:

He actually already got back to me on an offer just off my GIA report. And it is not feasible for me at this time. Maybe one day I will have an extra $6-8K to upgrade the size of my stone. Because I am afraid that in a 1.5 carat OEC, I wouldn't be able to appreciate the facet pattern. And my current stone is very nice (to me anyway). So I don't want to let it go for a low price. But at least I know what I have to save up for!

I absolutely agree that I would not let a great diamond go until you are able to replace it with exactly what you want! There have been some members here that have scored gorgeous stones on ebay for much less than retail, but that takes having experience or help plus having the means to pay at the time you find the stone. Lots of options when you are ready!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
What about consigning/posting your stone to see if you get some interest? It might give you a better sense of what you could sell your stone for, and what you might be able to get in return.

Fwiw, I have an almost 1ct OEC and can appreciate the faceting!

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
FightGravity said:
What about consigning/posting your stone to see if you get some interest? It might give you a better sense of what you could sell your stone for, and what you might be able to get in return.

Fwiw, I have an almost 1ct OEC and can appreciate the faceting!

I did think about consigning or trying to sell privately, but I have NO clue what would be reasonable. I was holding out hope that since we've had it since 2003, it would be worth at least what my husband paid for it back then!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results