shape
carat
color
clarity

To halo or not to halo?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any guess on timeframe based on previous projects? I read a review saying about a month because he is so busy right now.

I had a custom ring made that went from completed design to my hand in 4 weeks over 1.5 years ago.

The project I have in progress right now is delayed because I'm waffling. When I waffle, I've learned to walk away and give myself time . I'm such a perfectionist (hard to believe, right? ;)2).

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's easy to get carried away with the bling factor, for sure! When I first upgraded I went with all out bling and within a month I was looking to reset in a solitaire. I would imagine Ft worth is similar to Houston in terms of dress. Most people here are pretty casual. I wasn't comfortable with all out bling with my jeans and boots, lol!

Very casual!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno. Scrubs are pretty much the. most. casual. attire anyone can possibly wear, outside of PJ’s, and I rock these, EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. lol! :lol-2:

I have 7 Yoram Finklestein @ GemConcepts Vintage Cut Asschers waiting to be set in a ring of my personal design. That ring will join these as my “every day wear”, as an additional stackable...lol!! To me, there’s no outfit that’s not worthy, or that looks “too casual” for diamonds.
That’s just me! More is better, in my world. ;)2
D346D027-B75F-4155-AE83-15F1733F148B.jpeg 972131B0-9A44-4192-9C3E-8D36295CC109.jpeg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
451FAE4C-632D-4233-993A-5A6E9B134198.jpeg 94A896F3-AE5C-46A0-A619-54A29D2F0462.jpeg 57A5F0E9-6593-4D3F-A181-0060681CB0CA.jpeg DBEE0586-DE40-4ECF-ABF8-13A897CBE04D.jpeg
I’ve been a couple times, and every time I like the halo better. But...I think that’s based purely on the sparkle and added size. This ring is such a huge change from my current ring that I think I was sucked in by the bling without considering my lifestyle.

I’m in the DFW area...outside Fort Worth :)

Don’t ignore your preference! Wearing a halo does not define your lifestyle! You mention you love the bling factor and duh, that is one reason why we halo lovers gravitate to them! I love the juxtaposition of an ering halo and jeans and a t-shirt! I’m not saying that I wear cocktail rings on my right hand d to go grocery shopping but a wedding ring style gets a pass any day of the week!
I switch back and forth between halos and solitaires—you can see my most recent threads for research purposes—and I will say that you can stack both types of ringS! You can see my threads.
I still don’t know which I prefer more. I know that when I wore my halo to events, all the young ladies went out of their way to get a closer look and told me how gorgeous it was! Same when I go shopping. With the solitaire on the other hand, I haven’t had such a reaction. I think I myself enjoy it Bc I keep discovering all these fire shows and rainbows that the stone puts on. But idk when that novelty will wear off and then I’ll go back to the halo. Lol.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
94A896F3-AE5C-46A0-A619-54A29D2F0462.jpeg 57A5F0E9-6593-4D3F-A181-0060681CB0CA.jpeg DBEE0586-DE40-4ECF-ABF8-13A897CBE04D.jpeg

Don’t ignore your preference! Wearing a halo does not define your lifestyle! You mention you love the bling factor and duh, that is one reason why we halo lovers gravitate to them! I love the juxtaposition of an ering halo and jeans and a t-shirt! I’m not saying that I wear cocktail rings on my right hand d to go grocery shopping but a wedding ring style gets a pass any day of the week!
I switch back and forth between halos and solitaires—you can see my most recent threads for research purposes—and I will say that you can stack both types of ringS! You can see my threads.
I still don’t know which I prefer more. I know that when I wore my halo to events, all the young ladies went out of their way to get a closer look and told me how gorgeous it was! Same when I go shopping. With the solitaire on the other hand, I haven’t had such a reaction. I think I myself enjoy it Bc I keep discovering all these fire shows and rainbows that the stone puts on. But idk when that novelty will wear off and then I’ll go back to the halo. Lol.

See?? Every occasion is a diamond occasion!!! :mrgreen2:
Love your beauties, @nala!!! :love:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just can help you with my picture of my 1.7 ct diamond in halo on size 5 finger. The same proportion as your would be in halo. I love the finger coverage and I don’t think it’s too fancy for everyday wear.
E8F0BEB7-C97E-44F6-9E88-94095DF3ED60.jpeg

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel the pain of those who have difficulty deciding between solitaires and halos. I really love them both and hence why I have two ERs.

Ya know what? Whoever can invent an interchangeable halo/solitaire setting is gonna make a killing. I’d be first in line. :lol:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had both styles in the past. I currently wear a delicate halo setting which highlights my center diamond. But if you ever plan to upgrade in the near future, save your money and keep it in a simple setting.

IMG_8466.jpg

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haloed my 1.6 ct stone a few years ago and never regretted it for a moment. It’s a very delicate halo with half-pointers, so it actually enhances the stone. I left the shank plain, which to me is a more casual look. Can stack it with all the bands you like. Size 5.75 for reference.

phone_pics_2.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander , Can you buy a fake halo ring to wear around for a few weeks? I think you are doing the right thing by giving yourself some time to think about it.

@nala, I LOVE the third picture down combination! You always come up with great stacking combinations.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander , Can you buy a fake halo ring to wear around for a few weeks? I think you are doing the right thing by giving yourself some time to think about it.

You are so sweet to think of this. Its actually a colored stone project. I'm waffling because I have two different ones I want to make (two differnt rings) -- but, alas, only the budget for one. The nor'easters damaged my fence and roof and I need to take down a rather large and highly inaccessible tree. So, I need to decide which of my unset gem pretties will get set and which will stay a 'lady in waiting'. :(2

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dunno. Scrubs are pretty much the. most. casual. attire anyone can possibly wear, outside of PJ’s, and I rock these, EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. lol! :lol-2:

I have 7 Yoram Finklestein @ GemConcepts Vintage Cut Asschers waiting to be set in a ring of my personal design. That ring will join these as my “every day wear”, as an additional stackable...lol!! To me, there’s no outfit that’s not worthy, or that looks “too casual” for diamonds.
That’s just me! More is better, in my world. ;)2
D346D027-B75F-4155-AE83-15F1733F148B.jpeg 972131B0-9A44-4192-9C3E-8D36295CC109.jpeg
I was wondering when you were going to share your new french cuts - can't wait for it to be finished!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think that you can go wrong either way, but it is really more of a personal preference and only you know what will truly make your heart sing.

I love halos and solitaires. One isn't better or worse than the other, they are just different flavors.

When I bought my cushion, I knew that I wanted a halo and I opted to really bling it out. My intent was not an everyday ring and therefore I went all in with the 3 sided pave and split shank since I planned to wear it alone. My short stubby fingers and the elongated shape didn't allow much room for stacking so why not go all in with the setting.

I would however suggest that if you do decide to go the Halo route that you save up and go with one of the recommended vendors (SK, VC, CVB, DK) - all of these vendors are masters at finding that balance to make your stone really pop. Halos can be amazing when done well or really distracting when not done well.

jdljbt

Rough_Rock
As beautiful as I think halos can be I vote solitaire for two main reasons:

1. With a solitaire my eyes are WOWed by the centre stone. My eyes go immediately to it and focus on its beauty. With a halo, my eyes definitely go to the setting first and the main stone gets lost in it all.

2. I finally realized that I seem to see a lot of metal from prongs in settings like halos or thin diamond eternity bands with small stones. This distracts me from not only the centre stone, but the halo diamonds as well. My own wedding band is a thin eternity ring and I would like to get just a plain platinum band because I can "see" the metal too much and feel like it takes away from the diamonds and my centre stone. It is odd because of course a plain band would have more metal. I think it is because then there are no distractions from the main stone that we all work so hard to find!!!

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have one more point to add in addition to everyone else's opinion. Do you see yourself resetting eventually? I think halos are very trendy and they will eventually start to look very dated. If you think you want it to remain classic forever, I would go with the solitaire.

I agree with 6-prong instead of 4-prong, but I know that's a personal choice. I do like the look of that Adiamor setting, but from what I've heard their work isn't up to par, so I wouldn't buy from there. I personally don't like either BN setting you posted. The gallery on both is just straight pins, not attractive in my opinion. If that's your thing, that's fine, but if you just haven't thought about how it looks from the side, then I would recommend to look at what else it out there. $2000 will be out of the price range for Victor Canera for anything with pave I think, but there are many other good options.

Can't wait to see what you choose in the end!!

I’d go with this! But I’m biased and helped design it :lol-2:

https://august-vintage-inc.myshopify.com/products/jenay

You get the best of both worlds. Solitaire plus extra bling ;)2

ETA: this is my new setting/ring in the making. Don’t have her yet.. thanks @Rhino

OMG! After all the time I've spent looking for the perfect six-prong pave with flush stems, I didn't think there was anything else out there for me to discover. This setting is perfectly my taste, and if VC doesn't work out in my future, then this will be it. Can't wait to see when yours is done!! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5469C767-F096-422E-AE64-53E5F39E6264.png D020BA78-F6FB-4BE5-B128-4336982BE850.jpeg What kind of coloured stones are you planning to set? I love both looks. I am not a halo girl but I loooove my two halos from Victor Canera. It’s great for everyday wear. I have never regretted it. I second the suggestion to go with VC, SK or LM

You are so sweet to think of this. Its actually a colored stone project. I'm waffling because I have two different ones I want to make (two differnt rings) -- but, alas, only the budget for one. The nor'easters damaged my fence and roof and I need to take down a rather large and highly inaccessible tree. So, I need to decide which of my unset gem pretties will get set and which will stay a 'lady in waiting'. :(2

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
451FAE4C-632D-4233-993A-5A6E9B134198.jpeg 94A896F3-AE5C-46A0-A619-54A29D2F0462.jpeg 57A5F0E9-6593-4D3F-A181-0060681CB0CA.jpeg DBEE0586-DE40-4ECF-ABF8-13A897CBE04D.jpeg

Full transparency - Your latest stacking situation is what made me want to go solitaire. It is perfection. Obsessed.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just can help you with my picture of my 1.7 ct diamond in halo on size 5 finger. The same proportion as your would be in halo. I love the finger coverage and I don’t think it’s too fancy for everyday wear.
E8F0BEB7-C97E-44F6-9E88-94095DF3ED60.jpeg

Beautiful! I love the coverage!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I feel the pain of those who have difficulty deciding between solitaires and halos. I really love them both and hence why I have two ERs.

Ya know what? Whoever can invent an interchangeable halo/solitaire setting is gonna make a killing. I’d be first in line. :lol:

You are on to something!!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've had both styles in the past. I currently wear a delicate halo setting which highlights my center diamond. But if you ever plan to upgrade in the near future, save your money and keep it in a simple setting.

IMG_8466.jpg

This is my upgrade. Not saying there won’t be another one someday, but at that point I’ll probably like a completely different style!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I haloed my 1.6 ct stone a few years ago and never regretted it for a moment. It’s a very delicate halo with half-pointers, so it actually enhances the stone. I left the shank plain, which to me is a more casual look. Can stack it with all the bands you like. Size 5.75 for reference.

phone_pics_2.jpg

Thanks for the visual! I’m a 5.75 as well, so this helped a lot.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So I decided to go with the thin Pavé band from Blue Nile just so I could get it and wear it around...it will be here on Wed. I’m hoping once I have it and can play around with some stackers, then I will know. At that point, I will look into getting a more quality band - halo or pave. Thanks so much for all the advice (and the great pics)!

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really prefer a halo, but they will both look good. I love the way a halo just adds some more sparkle. It may not show off the stone as well though, I agree. If I had a 3 carat I would have a solitaire most likely, otherwise I would do a delicate halo at 1.7 and above and ether a delicate or chunky halo below that.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really prefer a halo, but they will both look good. I love the way a halo just adds some more sparkle. It may not show off the stone as well though, I agree. If I had a 3 carat I would have a solitaire most likely, otherwise I would do a delicate halo at 1.7 and above and ether a delicate or chunky halo below that.

Totally agree. I have a feeling I’ll end up with a delicate halo that shows off the center stone :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results