shape
carat
color
clarity

To halo or not to halo?

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Finally decided on a 1.61 round beauty thanks to you fab folks. Now the question is do I go halo - which I’ve always loved, or solitaire with a stackable. I’ve been really second guessing the halo lately. Love the sparkle, but feel like it takes away from the center stone. Here’s what I’m considering:

Halo:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...shion-outline-pave-engagement-ring-item-49493

Solitaire:
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...14k-white-gold_48629?elem=title&track=product

Stackable:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/w...-and-marquise-diamond-wedding-ring-item-49418

My wedding ring is a basic eternity band like this:
https://www.bluenile.com/riviera-pe...14k-white-gold_33763?elem=title&track=product

Thoughts?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is her finger? I tend to be a solitaire girl unless her finger is on the larger side. A solitaire is classic and simple and can be paired with one or more bands for a blingier, trendy look.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What size is her finger? I tend to be a solitaire girl unless her finger is on the larger side. A solitaire is classic and simple and can be paired with one or more bands for a blingier, trendy look.

I’m the she...buying for myself ;-). I’m a 5.5. I am so drawn to the halo for the bling, but you’re right, the solitaire is so classic. And I want to show off that beautiful rock!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOh that's a hard one to answer.
Thinking aloud, given that halos are usually more expensive settings than solitaires, I'd get the soli, see if you like the stacking look and then halo if you don't like the combo after all?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy for myself too! Lot easier! 5.5 is small. I would go with a classic tiffany style solitaire with a diamond band to bling it up and expresses your style.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! You have a nice size stone. I would go solitaire for sure. A halo confuses the eye and makes the eye wander and takes away from the diamond. Look at some photos of halos and solitaires. With a solitaire, your eye goes right to your sparkly diamond, it is all about your diamond. With a halo, it is about the “setting” first, and then your eye finally sees the diamond.

I would let your diamond be the star.
Plus, my personal opinion is halos are overdone and common. Your diamond will always rock!

Good luck to you!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OOh that's a hard one to answer.
Thinking aloud, given that halos are usually more expensive settings than solitaires, I'd get the soli, see if you like the stacking look and then halo if you don't like the combo after all?

The solitaire + stacker is the same price as the halo, which makes the decision even harder! But I’m thinking along the same lines. Start classic and adjust if it just isn’t doing it. I’m replacing a .48 princess cut solitaire, so either way it’s going to be amazing!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi! You have a nice size stone. I would go solitaire for sure. A halo confuses the eye and makes the eye wander and takes away from the diamond. Look at some photos of halls and solitaires. With a solitaire, your eye goes right to your sparkly diamond, it is all about your diamond. With a halo, it is about the “setting” first, and then your eye finally sees the diamond.

I would let your diamond be the star.
Plus, my personal opinion is halos are overdone and common. Your diamond will always rock!

Good luck to you!

My thoughts exactly!!

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I had a similar dilemma. I'm a size 4.75.
I really enjoy my solitaire more than the halo. I found the halo did detract from the main stone.
But, that's just me.

I'm excited to see what your decision is. Congrats on finding your gorgeous diamond!

20171123_124003.jpg 20180117_003714.jpg

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I had a similar dilemma. I'm a size 4.75.
I really enjoy my solitaire more than the halo. I found the halo did detract from the main stone.
But, that's just me.

I'm excited to see what your decision is. Congrats on finding your gorgeous diamond!

20171123_124003.jpg 20180117_003714.jpg

Thanks! I can’t believe how different your ring looks out of the halo. I love them both. Wish I knew diffinitively one way or the other!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The solitaire + stacker is the same price as the halo, which makes the decision even harder! But I’m thinking along the same lines. Start classic and adjust if it just isn’t doing it. I’m replacing a .48 princess cut solitaire, so either way it’s going to be amazing!
HA! yes you're going to have a lot more coverage than currently.. I was thinking if you do decide to go to the halo, the soli and stacker would probably be easier to sell as separate items.
Please make sure you come post pictures of your new beauty when she arrives :appl:

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
I am not the best person on PS to pick the details of a stone, I need others help. When it comes to finished product maybe I can chime in:

In regards to the halo setting and solitaire setting I think you can do better.

Although JA does halo work and people on the forum have bought from them, the consensus of PS that the best workmanship comes from Victor Canera, Steven Kirsh and Brilliantly Engaged, and pricing in that order also. So if you really want to look at top notch stuff, the above vendors should be contacted. If you still want to go with JA, then at least you saw the top of the line. In my eyes, the one you posted from JA is just not "dainty" enough for me and I am not loving the detail. Again my opinion.

Solitaire setting: I looked at the one from JA you posted, and I say, Meh. I don't think that setting shows off a solitaire in its best situation. Now if you had said you were considering a Vache U113 (just as an example), then most would consider that a top choice. Of course there are others.

I guess my point is before you make a decision on halo vs. solitaire, you might want to look around a little. Other PSers can give you their experience with both settings. We don't know your budget either.
Good luck.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
HA! yes you're going to have a lot more coverage than currently.. I was thinking if you do decide to go to the halo, the soli and stacker would probably be easier to sell as separate items.
Please make sure you come post pictures of your new beauty when she arrives :appl:

I definitely will!

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think for me it depends on who is making the setting. TBH if I was buying a round of that size I would go with something like an Erika Winters soli. ( https://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-01.html )- I was not aware of her when I was shopping, but have seen some rings on PS and her stuff is so elegant. I have no experience with her, but drool over her designs. That said, I also kinda like that halo though because it's a cushion shaped halo and I have always had a soft spot for a cushion shaped halo to add some interest.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OP
I am not the best person on PS to pick the details of a stone, I need others help. When it comes to finished product maybe I can chime in:

In regards to the halo setting and solitaire setting I think you can do better.

Although JA does halo work and people on the forum have bought from them, the consensus of PS that the best workmanship comes from Victor Canera, Steven Kirsh and Brilliantly Engaged, and pricing in that order also. So if you really want to look at top notch stuff, the above vendors should be contacted. If you still want to go with JA, then at least you saw the top of the line. In my eyes, the one you posted from JA is just not "dainty" enough for me and I am not loving the detail. Again my opinion.

Solitaire setting: I looked at the one from JA you posted, and I say, Meh. I don't think that setting shows off a solitaire in its best situation. Now if you had said you were considering a Vache U113 (just as an example), then most would consider that a top choice. Of course there are others.

I guess my point is before you make a decision on halo vs. solitaire, you might want to look around a little. Other PSers can give you their experience with both settings. We don't know your budget either.
Good luck.

Appreciate the feedback, WillyD. My budget is $2000 for the setting, so not sure that’s going to get me top notch, but I will most definitely take a look! And if I go classic, I need some Pavé diamonds on the band for sparkle. I know enough about myself to know I wouldn’t be satisfied with a super plain band.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think for me it depends on who is making the setting. TBH if I was buying a round of that size I would go with something like an Erika Winters soli. ( https://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-01.html )- I was not aware of her when I was shopping, but have seen some rings on PS and her stuff is so elegant. I have no experience with her, but drool over her designs. That said, I also kinda like that halo though because it's a cushion shaped halo and I have always had a soft spot for a cushion shaped halo to add some interest.

Those are super pretty, but sadly, not my style. Fun looking at all theses different styles, though!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the solitaire camp. IMO Both styles are pretty but the solitaire shows off your beautiful diamond, the halo focuses on the ring with a pretty diamond. :wavey:

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Agree that the JA halo is a little 'meh'... it doesn't make me swoon. Not sure if you've come across thee yet, but how do you feel about a waterfall or ballerina halo?
Heidi Gibson pops up all over my insta: http://www.heidigibson.com/designs/
And it looks like David Klass could adapt this design: https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/603...-gold-diamond-and-ruby?ref=shop_home_active_4

I don't think you can go wrong with a soli through, I've got a 1.6 antique cushion (so your round will face up slightly larger) in double claw prongs and paired with an antique band. Very happy, and I'm always looking at different stacking bands to pair with it :)

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Agree that the JA halo is a little 'meh'... it doesn't make me swoon. Not sure if you've come across thee yet, but how do you feel about a waterfall or ballerina halo?
Heidi Gibson pops up all over my insta: http://www.heidigibson.com/designs/
And it looks like David Klass could adapt this design: https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/603...-gold-diamond-and-ruby?ref=shop_home_active_4

I don't think you can go wrong with a soli through, I've got a 1.6 antique cushion (so your round will face up slightly larger) in double claw prongs and paired with an antique band. Very happy, and I'm always looking at different stacking bands to pair with it :)

Those are beautiful, but in no way could I pull them off. You guys are way cooler than me!!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is what I’m going for F44E4A4E-60C3-4C45-8D0F-773FC0643707.jpeg

I like it but how about a 6-prong vs 4-prong. I think 6-prongs make the diamond appear rounder and for some reason sparkle better than when set it a 4-prong. Maybe do some searches and take a look. I have a 6-prong solitaire and love the look.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like it but how about a 6-prong vs 4-prong. I think 6-prongs make the diamond appear rounder and for some reason sparkle better than when set it a 4-prong. Maybe do some searches and take a look. I have a 6-prong solitaire and love the look.

I wondered about the difference. Looking into it now!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
76F21661-1A5F-4543-B8D7-84DE6ACA8C14.png 3563341D-BB99-4B01-81A5-314D02A81D60.png Here are some examples via google. See how the 4-prong makes a diamond look square to me and cuts off the brilliance a bit? The 6-prong is such a perfect round fireball, at least to my eyes.

I like the 6-prong with the prong at the top, 12 o’Clock position like the way Tiffany sets theirs.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
76F21661-1A5F-4543-B8D7-84DE6ACA8C14.png 3563341D-BB99-4B01-81A5-314D02A81D60.png Here are some examples via google. See how the 4-prong makes a diamond look square to me and cuts off the brilliance a bit? The 6-prong is such a perfect round fireball, at least to my eyes.

I like the 6-prong with the prong at the top, 12 o’Clock position like the way Tiffany sets theirs.

I totally see it! Thanks for the pics.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I'm team solitaire. I went from solitaire to halo and back to solitaire. I love the look of halos. But personally, my halo was just too fancy for my everyday lifestyle. Every time I went to wear it I would feel self conscious that my nails weren't perfect or that I was wearing a hoodie and jeans. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally decided on a 1.61 round beauty thanks to you fab folks. Now the question is do I go halo - which I’ve always loved, or solitaire with a stackable. I’ve been really second guessing the halo lately. Love the sparkle, but feel like it takes away from the center stone. Here’s what I’m considering:

Halo:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...shion-outline-pave-engagement-ring-item-49493

Solitaire:
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...14k-white-gold_48629?elem=title&track=product

Stackable:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/w...-and-marquise-diamond-wedding-ring-item-49418

My wedding ring is a basic eternity band like this:
https://www.bluenile.com/riviera-pe...14k-white-gold_33763?elem=title&track=product

Thoughts?

I’m a stacker, so my vote is for the soli w/stacker & the matching WR.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results