shape
carat
color
clarity

To halo or not to halo?

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm team solitaire. I went from solitaire to halo and back to solitaire. I love the look of halos. But personally, my halo was just too fancy for my everyday lifestyle. Every time I went to wear it I would feel self conscious that my nails weren't perfect or that I was wearing a hoodie and jeans. Can't wait to see what you decide!

You make an excellent point. I wear suits to work most days, and at home, it’s hoodies and yoga pants. I think the halos are absolutely gorgeous, but I’m lucky if I match my shoes most days, never mind making sure my hair and nails are on point.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I envy that you know exactly what you (don’t) like. I hate being indecisive!
I think whatever you end up with will make you happy. It's good to know your options, but in the end you have to live with it. So happy or no halo, best of luck!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm team solitaire and would not go halo for an e-ring. Don't get me wrong i love halos and think that they are so pretty, but at the end of the day i realized i liked looking at them but it doesnt mean i love wearing them.

My reasons are both selfish and practical. For one they seem a bit more high maintenance for me, i wear keds and a graphic t (sometimes ripped) on my days off and a halo just seems to demand a more glamorous look. They are a bit harder to clean, i like that for a soli i can run a toothbrush through it once a week and my stone would maintain a beautiful sparkle. I dont like how some halos look like cluster rings or the halo takes away from my center stone. I find that sometimes if the halo is mismatched (color or cut wise) it can really be distracting. Solis really show off your diamond, it was an expensive purchase so for me it should really be the star of the ring. The extra finger coverage is nice in theory, but if i wanted finger coverage for the sake of finger coverage....there are other options.

Last edited:

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm team solitaire and would not go halo for an e-ring. Don't get me wrong i love halos and think that they are so pretty, but at the end of the day i realized i liked looking at them but it doesnt mean i love wearing them.

My reasons are both selfish and practical. For one they seem a bit more high maintenance for me, i wear keds and a graphic t (sometimes ripped) on my days off and a halo just seems to demand a more glamorous look. They are a bit harder to clean, i like that for a soli i can run a toothbrush through it once a week and my stone would maintain a beautiful sparkle. I dont like how some halos look like cluster rings or the halo takes away from my center stone. I find that sometimes if the halo is mismatched (color or cut wise) it can really be distracting. Solis really show off your diamond, it was an expensive purchase so for me it should really be the star of the ring. The extra finger coverage is nice in theory, but if i wanted finger coverage for the sake of finger coverage....there are many other options outside of a diamond i could have choosen for a fraction of the cost.

Very good points! And I agree...they are so pretty to look at, but I don’t think they would fit my everyday life.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree @metall, a solitaire you can dress up or dress down and the stone speaks for itself.
@Mturgeon05 David Klass would probably be able to do exactly what you want with graceful prongs and nicer pave for your budget than then BlueNile or James Allen settings. 6 prongs will make it look round and also will help protect the girdle.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very good points! And I agree...they are so pretty to look at, but I don’t think they would fit my everyday life.

I think that is the best first step in helping you decide what you would like to go with.. at least from a practical standpoint. Your style is usually dictated by your personal situations, and hopefully will lead you to choose a ring that will make your heart sing.

Either one you go with, that stone is a stunner and I can't wait to see what you choose! Best of luck and bring back pictures!

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
Both are quite common and acceptable.

We did both!!! One's a spare ring. A solitaire is certainly more classical. But a halo looks larger for the price and done well, has almost as much versatility. Yes, it's harder to clean and I wouldn't put it through an ultrasonic. And may take a little more effort to pair/stack.

We see more wear out of the Halo than the Solitaire!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That shank is only 1.5 mm. Wayyy to thin for pave IMHO.

I'd second going with a DK version. I'm not a fan of any of the JA settings you posted. For halo, i prefer the falling edge.

How about this head, but have DK pave the shank?
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...e-flower-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-50125

shank like this one
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfoWbkDlGBf/?hl=en&taken-by=davidklassjewelry

Here's a bligged out soli
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd0hyN5lMgT/?hl=en&taken-by=davidklassjewelry

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That shank is only 1.5 mm. Wayyy to thin for pave IMHO.

I'd second going with a DK version. I'm not a fan of any of the JA settings you posted. For halo, i prefer the falling edge.

How about this head, but have DK pave the shank?
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...e-flower-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-50125

shank like this one
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfoWbkDlGBf/?hl=en&taken-by=davidklassjewelry

Here's a bligged out soli
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd0hyN5lMgT/?hl=en&taken-by=davidklassjewelry

I agree with using DK. His work is BEAUTIFUL, and his attention to detail is amazing!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you should buy 2 stones, put one in a halo and the other in a solitaire setting.
You can wear the halo with the black shoes and the solitaire with brown shoes or flip flops.
Case settled. That was easy.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should buy 2 stones, put one in a halo and the other in a solitaire setting.
You can wear the halo with the black shoes and the solitaire with brown shoes or flip flops.
Case settled. That was easy.

:eek-2: :lol-2:

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree @metall, a solitaire you can dress up or dress down and the stone speaks for itself.
@Mturgeon05 David Klass would probably be able to do exactly what you want with graceful prongs and nicer pave for your budget than then BlueNile or James Allen settings. 6 prongs will make it look round and also will help protect the girdle.

I will have to check DK out. This is all so new to me...so many options!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Both are quite common and acceptable.

We did both!!! One's a spare ring. A solitaire is certainly more classical. But a halo looks larger for the price and done well, has almost as much versatility. Yes, it's harder to clean and I wouldn't put it through an ultrasonic. And may take a little more effort to pair/stack.

We see more wear out of the Halo than the Solitaire!

I Wish! It’s taking me 10 years to get to this ring, so only one for now :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!

DK also makes exquisite halos...very delicate, and minimal, but I think you’ll find that the soli with stackable is more your road to travel; you already seem more excited about that style than the halo...lol! Many of DK’s pave’ solitaires are stunning; I can’t imagine that not working for you. That style allows so many creative ideas, and you can stack or keep it simple, based upon the occasion.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have both a halo and a solitaire engagement ring and find I almost always wear my solitaire. So, consider me another vote for going with a solitaire.

And definitely reach out to David Klass! His work is impeccable and he offers the best pricing too for the custom quality, imho. There are a number of DK threads in SMTB forum, but here is a dedicated thread of his work to check out:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I would go to a b&m and try on a halo and a solitaire. I have a colored stone halo for a right hand ring and although it is beautiful, I hardly wear it. It feels too fancy and too much for my lifestyle. Where in Texas are you?

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
DK also makes exquisite halos...very delicate, and minimal, but I think you’ll find that the soli with stackable is more your road to travel; you already seem more excited about that style than the halo...lol! Many of DK’s pave’ solitaires are stunning; I can’t imagine that not working for you. That style allows so many creative ideas, and you can stack or keep it simple, based upon the occasion.

You are totally on point...I definitely seem more excited by the stackables.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have both a halo and a solitaire engagement ring and find I almost always wear my solitaire. So, consider me another vote for going with a solitaire.

And definitely reach out to David Klass! His work is impeccable and he offers the best pricing too for the custom quality, imho. There are a number of DK threads in SMTB forum, but here is a dedicated thread of his work to check out:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/

I just sent him an email! His stuff is beautiful

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I would go to a b&m and try on a halo and a solitaire. I have a colored stone halo for a right hand ring and although it is beautiful, I hardly wear it. It feels too fancy and too much for my lifestyle. Where in Texas are you?

I’ve been a couple times, and every time I like the halo better. But...I think that’s based purely on the sparkle and added size. This ring is such a huge change from my current ring that I think I was sucked in by the bling without considering my lifestyle.

I’m in the DFW area...outside Fort Worth :)

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you don't get a quick reply. Be patient and bug him in a few days. He's pretty busy. But, he's been pretty speedy in communication with me on a work in progress.

Any guess on timeframe based on previous projects? I read a review saying about a month because he is so busy right now.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been a couple times, and every time I like the halo better. But...I think that’s based purely on the sparkle and added size. This ring is such a huge change from my current ring that I think I was sucked in by the bling without considering my lifestyle.

I’m in the DFW area...outside Fort Worth :)

It's easy to get carried away with the bling factor, for sure! When I first upgraded I went with all out bling and within a month I was looking to reset in a solitaire. I would imagine Ft worth is similar to Houston in terms of dress. Most people here are pretty casual. I wasn't comfortable with all out bling with my jeans and boots, lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results