shape
carat
color
clarity

To halo or not to halo, THAT is the question!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it depends on the stone size to start with...
When I got my pear - it was in a Halo. It was just too big. WHAT?!?!? Is there such a thing? lol... Yes. I have little retarded hands. They are very small though pudgy, the halo looked just too big.

I am glad I took off some metal and added 2 side stones. the ring doesn't sit as high as before... I think before it sat at 14mm, if I am not mistaken. It was a boulder.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Amethyste said:
I agree that it depends on the stone size to start with...
When I got my pear - it was in a Halo. It was just too big. WHAT?!?!? Is there such a thing? lol... Yes. I have little retarded hands. They are very small though pudgy, the halo looked just too big.
I am glad I took off some metal and added 2 side stones. the ring doesn't sit as high as before... I think before it sat at 14mm, if I am not mistaken. It was a boulder.

Heh, my hands are exactly like that too, no knuckles to speak of. (And if I gain an ounce it goes right to my hands, my cheeks and my chest... awesome :nono:) The bulky setting just looked silly on me, like I was playing dress up in my mom's jewelry box or something. I might be in my 30s but I swear my hands look like a 5 year old's, which isn't a good thing. I sold the setting to a woman with gorgeous long elegant fingers and it actually looks great on her, I love visiting it when she comes by. Wish it ever looked that good on me!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I have .5 ct earrings set in halos and I love them. I think they're delicate enough not to overwhelm the stone, but they add so much sparkly!
IMG_099411.jpg
(they were a gift, so while I love the warmer color of the L diamond I would have tried to get lower-color melee...but you can't see a color difference when they're on my ears!)

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta said:
I do think halos are the modern version of an illusion setting. I like them for coloured stones, not so much for diamonds. Definitely not for my e ring as I much prefer a classic solitaire. It's just timeless.

They are so common now that I'm a bit put off them to be honest. And I'm not keen on using them just to make a small stone look bigger. You're not fooling anyone if you're trying that, surprisingly some people think they are! Not PSers of course :cheeky:

But I think I'm in the minority in not favouring them for e rings. I would keep them for right rings or coloured stones myself.

Just my two cents!

I have to say Rosetta, I totally 110% agree with you about halos.

I love love love halos for coloured stones - think they make the colour pop, but for diamonds - meh! Its like trying to fake a bigger stone, so yes "illusion setting" is the right term. And it seems like every Tom, Dick & Harry are doing halos at the moment. Personally ( and this is just my opinion, no reflection on anybodys rings) if I wanted to increase the size of a stone I would do a three stone or side bagettes.

The only time I can see myself doing a halo with a diamond is if it was a lower coloured Diamond (at least an M or lower) and then with very high colour halo (D or E) to emphasise the lower colour of the diamond or in earrings (love diamonds halo'd in earrings)

Other than that I personally think halos should be kept for coloured stones.

Probably not a popular opinion on PS but its how I feel.

Having said that, one of my fav photos here on PS is the one that Charmypoo just posted about her Maytal Hannah halo ring (the one with the ring nestled in pearls -fabby photo and definately a contender for the next PS photo album).

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
sillyberry said:
I have .5 ct earrings set in halos and I love them. I think they're delicate enough not to overwhelm the stone, but they add so much sparkly!
IMG_099411.jpg
(they were a gift, so while I love the warmer color of the L diamond I would have tried to get lower-color melee...but you can't see a color difference when they're on my ears!)

Hi SB,
hadnt read all the way through this thread when I made my reply, but your earrings are a perfect example of what I was trying to say.

Thats definately a great example of halo.

Love'em.

ETA: What colour are the halo stones?

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
risingsun said:
It's difficult for me to see the proportions in the first pic. I think the halo size in pic 2 is larger than I would be comfortable with. See if you can try on a halo with similar proportions to get a better idea. In fact, so it with both of your examples. You need to starting seeing what type of halo looks right on your hand ;))
Yes, the first pic is terrible :wacko:
I have 3 different halo ring (with 3 different center stone, emerald, ruby, sapphire) in different style so I have an idea about the type I like.
If only it was possible to have a no permanent halo...so I can put it when I like and remove when I don't like :???:
My mind is always under construction :mrgreen:

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Addressing some comments about halos being too common....... I Think I know of one other person having a halo outside of PS. Most people I know have solitaires with princess cut stones or smaller three stones rings.

davidsbfly

Rough_Rock
akmiss said:
Addressing some comments about halos being too common....... I Think I know of one other person having a halo outside of PS. Most people I know have solitaires with princess cut stones or smaller three stones rings.
Same here, except you know of at least one person, and I have not nor have ever seen anyone in person with a halo! I have seen the ones in the stores with the 4 smaller princess cut stones to try to look like one larger center stone in the halo, but have yet to see even one of those on someone.

diamond jim

Rough_Rock
LittleGreyKitten said:
I wouild say your stone is the *perfect* size to look great in a halo. I had a (not so delicate) one that came with my 3 1/2ct OEC and I didn't like it, it was way bulky with a larger center stone like that. However if I had a diamond up to about 1 carat that I wanted to set into a modern setting, I'd definitely consider a halo.

If you're on a budget and are looking for a particularly antique variety of halo, check out the Beverly K collection on Pearlman's website. I've seen BK's settings in person and was very happy with their workmanship, it's a great value for the quality.

I thought I might have been receiving a kind comment and did not want to miss responding. My mistake and misintrepretation :oops: No problem here....

Oh...this is risingsun, who can no longer use her account. I'm waiting on into from admin on how to fix it!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Well, if you're inviting commentary :wink2: , risingsun, you really do have a lovely ring and it's incredibly delicate. I bet it's smashing in person. I'm curious, if you are still following this thread, who made it? It's so much harder to search the back threads now...

(I hadn't read the whole thread when I responded first, so I was a bit confuzzled.)

diamond jim

Rough_Rock
LittleGreyKitten said:
Well, if you're inviting commentary :wink2: , risingsun, you really do have a lovely ring and it's incredibly delicate. I bet it's smashing in person. I'm curious, if you are still following this thread, who made it? It's so much harder to search the back threads now...

(I hadn't read the whole thread when I responded first, so I was a bit confuzzled.)

Note: This post is from risingsun. I can no longer login under my own account :nono: I don't mind comments, but I was a bit sensitive after rosetta's words. We have gotten past that, so all is well. Thank you for your compliment. My account is so messed up that I can't post pics and I'm using my husband's account! My setting and diamond are both from HOF. I didn't show the wedding ring and if I can post it, I will. It was custom made by Saturn Jewels to fit around the halo.

I am not trying to say that a halo is for everyone. I had a beautiful set before I changed it. There is something about this set, however, that really makes my day :)) Please excuse any past snark on my part. I have been so frustrated by my inability to use PS, that it's blown a fuse. I know that they are trying hard to fix things, but it's not working for me. I can't even put in my avatar pic or my signature line. After achieving over 4000 posts, I'm back to single digits under the name of diamond jim :???: Thank you for the interest in my ring.

diamond jim

Rough_Rock
HOFresetdeck001wsetabcd.jpg

This is my wedding set, with the custom made w-ring. Fingers crossed that it posts ;-)

ETA: Oh dear, something worked tonight :D

~risingsun

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous!!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Winks_Elf said:
Gorgeous!!!

Thank you, Winks_Elf! I'm really risingsun, but I have an account that isn't working properly :???:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Just bumping this to add my .02.
I love halos, and never thought I would. Solitaires do not look good on me.

I have seen many beautiful halos on this site -- halos with small melee and larger melee; colored stone halos and diamond halos. I like halos with smaller stones (many of the vintage Edwardian/Deco styles look great with diamonds under a carat). But I also like halos with larger diamonds if the wearer can pull off the look of a large diamond in a halo setting -- not everyone can.

The only thing I don't like is a poorly constructed halo, so if you do decide to halo your diamond (and I think a .63 is a great size for a halo) make sure you choose a well-made setting. If you don't want to go custom, these three vendors, Ritani, Beverly K., and Vatche, make beautiful and well-crafted halo settings. I've never seen Tacori settings in person, but many people here are happy with that brand.

I agree that one big advantage of a halo setting is that it is interesting from all angles. I also agree that halos are definitely more of a statement ring. You have to really like the look. And I don't think halos necessarily look like cocktail rings (but then again, we've been borrowing from the cocktail look for weddings for some time now -- my mother thought that strapless wedding gowns and black or dark colored bridesmaids' dresses were inappropriate because they looked "too cocktail" -- times change). Halos do create issues with wedding bands, so make sure you either like the look of a gap or the halo setting you choose comes with a matching wedding band.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think halos are lovely- HOWEVER- my concern is that if you plan on upgrading your stone at some point and going larger, then you pretty much have to scrap the setting and get a new one, while a solitaire typically allows for a half carat to one carat upgrade in the same setting depending on what setting you have.

So if you have no intention of upgrading then YES... if you have an inkling that you will be upgrading the stone in the next few years then I might not.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a really well-done halo. RisingSun's is simply gorgeous, not too busy, perfect ratio to my eyes, and I don't think her stunning center stone loses any of its appeal surrounded by such lovely melee.

I see tons of halos here in my small midwestern town. Tons. Every young lady here under the age of 30 is wearing a half carat princess in a white gold halo, I swear, and they all appear to have come from Kay's. :sick: Those, I am not so fond of.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Yes to the halo! It's the push up bra for diamonds :) If you are on a budget, I highly recommend Jared's. They have several halo settings, $1500 or less. Solitaires are beautiful and I am definitely a solitaire girl. However, having owned a halo and then going back to a solitaire, it seems a bit... plain. Classic, timeless- sure. But still plain. And my diamond looks smaller. :angryfire:

Noahsmom, Diamond*Dana, K&L, Tarabear, and sparkly blonde all I have halos from Jared's. I used to have a halo from Jared's (it's here on PS somewhere).

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
Feb03Bride said:
Yes to the halo! It's the push up bra for diamonds :) If you are on a budget, I highly recommend Jared's. They have several halo settings, $1500 or less. Solitaires are beautiful and I am definitely a solitaire girl. However, having owned a halo and then going back to a solitaire, it seems a bit... plain. Classic, timeless- sure. But still plain. And my diamond looks smaller. :angryfire:

Noahsmom, Diamond*Dana, K&L, Tarabear, and sparkly blonde all I have halos from Jared's. I used to have a halo from Jared's (it's here on PS somewhere).
This was your halo.
show-me-the-ring/jared-galleria-part-2-76-round-with-a-halo-t130560.html
Do you remember what was the carat weight of each diamond?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
valchiria said:
Feb03Bride said:

This was your halo.
show-me-the-ring/jared-galleria-part-2-76-round-with-a-halo-t130560.html
Do you remember what was the carat weight of each diamond?

I believe the halo was .25tcw and the matching band was .25tcw. I think there were 11-13 diamonds in the band and 24-26 diamonds in the halo setting?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
I love a really well-done halo. RisingSun's is simply gorgeous, not too busy, perfect ratio to my eyes, and I don't think her stunning center stone loses any of its appeal surrounded by such lovely melee.

I see tons of halos here in my small midwestern town. Tons. Every young lady here under the age of 30 is wearing a half carat princess in a white gold halo, I swear, and they all appear to have come from Kay's. :sick: Those, I am not so fond of.

Thank you so much for your kind comments, monnie. Your opinion means a lot to me. I chose this halo because it was a more simple design than some. I love the gallery and profile, as well. I have also seen some halos that are not very well done. It's important to consider the design elements and workmanship. I took me over a year to decide on this one. I'm glad that I took my time :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
risingsun said:
monarch64 said:

Thank you so much for your kind comments, monnie. Your opinion means a lot to me. I chose this halo because it was a more simple design than some. I love the gallery and profile, as well. I have also seen some halos that are not very well done. It's important to consider the design elements and workmanship. I took me over a year to decide on this one. I'm glad that I took my time :))

You are very welcome, M.

I like the analogy someone (Feb2003, think it was you!) used about a halo being like a push-up bra for diamonds. Push-up action I can handle, however, Add-3-Cup-Sizes is cheating!!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally agree with Monarch... push-up yes! I love halos especially on the under 1 ct stones, it does wonders to the size if you are trying for a bit more coverage and the extra sparkle...is nice :love:

BUT halo-ing with layer after layer in an attemtp to cover your entire finger and get massive size... a bit too much for my taste...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
risingsun- I think your halo is stunning....and I think that if someone disagrees then take it with a grain of salt because YOU love it and that is ALL that matters!

You may feel that 3 stone rings are xyz and are entitled to feel that way...and express it tactfully and respectfully :bigsmile: without hurting feelings. Aren't we all pretty much here to ooooo and ahhh over beautiful diamonds? to each his own.

I can honestly say there isn't a ring on here I wouldn't adopt in a heartbeat

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
risingsun said:
monarch64 said:

You are very welcome, M.

I like the analogy someone (Feb2003, think it was you!) used about a halo being like a push-up bra for diamonds. Push-up action I can handle, however, Add-3-Cup-Sizes is cheating!!!

Thank you for making me spew diet pepsi on my keyboard, monnie. I shall expect a replacement post haste :cheeky:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling said:
risingsun- I think your halo is stunning....and I think that if someone disagrees then take it with a grain of salt because YOU love it and that is ALL that matters!

You may feel that 3 stone rings are xyz and are entitled to feel that way...and express it tactfully and respectfully :bigsmile: without hurting feelings. Aren't we all pretty much here to ooooo and ahhh over beautiful diamonds? to each his own.

I can honestly say there isn't a ring on here I wouldn't adopt in a heartbeat

Thank you, Amy. I think many of us have come to appreciate different shapes of diamonds and types of settings. It's part of the fun of being on PS.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lately I have been LIVING on PS drooling....and secretly coming up with reasons to treat myself :naughty: I' dreaming of a step cut halo :love: ... if only I could justify spending the money on myself with a wedding to plan..

a girl can dream.... of a halo RHR right?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling said:
Lately I have been LIVING on PS drooling....and secretly coming up with reasons to treat myself :naughty: I' dreaming of a step cut halo :love: ... if only I could justify spending the money on myself with a wedding to plan..

a girl can dream.... of a halo RHR right?

I wish I had spent the money on the wedding on bling instead :Up_to_something: Bling lasts longer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results