shape
carat
color
clarity

To halo or not to halo, THAT is the question!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Let me just say that I have never been a fan of halos but I have really grown to love and appreciate them. I recently reset my e-ring from a split shank solitaire to a halo ring. I did this partially because I liked the Harry Winston micropave design. I had no desire to get more finger coverage (my diamond is 1.5 ct and my finger is less than a 3). At first, it took me a while to get used to because my diamond seems sorta hidden away with all the sparkles coming from the halo. After a few days, I find that it is very different and nice. My ring also looks really massive - still trying to get used to the size since it was never my intention to make it look bigger. It may not fool people that there is a halo but I can tell you that it absolutely makes your diamond look huge on your finger.

Personally, I think I still like a solitaire better as an e-ring which is why my new e-ring from Leon Mege will be set in a solitaire. I still love the halo and have tons of RHR with halos. I don't think it is a trend and it is here to stay for a long time.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
Halo lover here! I PERSONALLY find solitaire E-rings a total snoozefest....I would not personally wear one unless the stone was at least 3 carats(on my size 5 finger) and then I would have to add a 4-5 ct eternity WB. However, I see beautiful examples of soliataire's on PS...and they are more often than not significant size stones.

I'm not trying to fool anyone with the size, it's perfect for this stage in my life...when I upgrade to something in the 2.5-3 ct range in 10 years or so (I'm only 30) perhaps I will consider a single stone...I doubt it though.

Good Luck!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
risingsun said:
rosetta said:
Er risingsun, my comments have nothing to do with you. In fact, I didn't even realise they were under your post. Sorry if I offended you. I think your ring is very pretty.

I was answering the OPs question: to halo or not. My answer is no, but that's just a personal preference of course. Someone else just said solitaires are common and boring, but I'm not taking any offence at that. It's her opinion and I'm fine with it.

I'm not sure if I'll ever post pics of my e ring, but if anyone ever calls it boring, that is a-ok with me. I've got thick skin.

Saying that halos are "common" and that "no one on PS is fooled by their size," did not sound like a simple opinion to me. It came across as a snark. Someone else called solitaires "boring and common" as a way to mirror your own words. Look at the placement of that post.

We have had some threads turned into snark fests, lately, by posters overstepping boundaries. It's not my job to moderate these threads, but I am entitled to my opinion,too. Thank you for the apology and the compliment. Let's try to put this behind us.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
risingsun said:
rosetta said:
Er risingsun, my comments have nothing to do with you. In fact, I didn't even realise they were under your post. Sorry if I offended you. I think your ring is very pretty.

I was answering the OPs question: to halo or not. My answer is no, but that's just a personal preference of course. Someone else just said solitaires are common and boring, but I'm not taking any offence at that. It's her opinion and I'm fine with it.

I'm not sure if I'll ever post pics of my e ring, but if anyone ever calls it boring, that is a-ok with me. I've got thick skin.

Saying that halos are "common" and that "no one on PS is fooled by their size," did not sound like a simple opinion to me. It came across as a snark. Someone else called solitaires "boring and common" as a way to mirror your own words. Look at the placement of that post.

We have had some threads turned into snark fests, lately, by posters overstepping boundaries. It's not my job to moderate these threads, but I am entitled to my opinion,too. Thank you for the apology and the compliment. Let's try to put this behind us.

Yes, let's. I have nothing else to say on this. Lots of divided opinion present on thread already.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
fsu1227 said:
Halo lover here! I PERSONALLY find solitaire E-rings a total snoozefest....I would not personally wear one unless the stone was at least 3 carats(on my size 5 finger) and then I would have to add a 4-5 ct eternity WB. However, I see beautiful examples of soliataire's on PS...and they are more often than not significant size stones.

I'm not trying to fool anyone with the size, it's perfect for this stage in my life...when I upgrade to something in the 2.5-3 ct range in 10 years or so (I'm only 30) perhaps I will consider a single stone...I doubt it though.

Good Luck!

How dare you call solitaires a snoozefest madame?? I take it as a personal insult!

Ha ha. :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :cheeky: :bigsmile:

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I say HALO :bigsmile: It is a personal choice and I happen to love the look of a halo. It really has nothing to do with trying to "fool" people... I was in a similar situation with a .60ct solitaire and contemplated a halo for about a year. I am so happy with the final result. I went from liking my ring to loving it! I agree that solitaires (and three stones for that matter) look great with a larger center stone so a halo was my only real option. If I ever do get a substantial stone, I will probably bezel it :D

The money I spent on the halo could have upgraded my center stone to the .80ct range. I actually considered this but still would have wanted a halo in the end. I would try on various styles before you make a decision and don't choose something trendy looking. Good luck :bigsmile:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we got my center stone it was in a temporary setting so I could wear it while we saved up for my halo, when I got the ring I was so underwhelmed by the solitaire. I have a square emerald/asscher and I felt that since I wasn't a huge stone , 1.06ct, that the solitaire with the prongs didn't really show off the asscher shape that I love.

Thankfully I only lived with the solitaire for a few months, when I got the ring back from it's "makeover" I was floored at how my stone had come to life! I opted to bezel set my asscher and it made the biggest difference IMO. If I had to do it again I think I would still get a halo but I really think the big difference for me was the bezel, if I couldn't have a diamond halo I would still have it bezel set, it really brings out the shape of the stone and can add some size to it as well IMO.

My halo is a little more metal than you might like because of the bezel but it's very dainty IRL, half pointers in the halo that still let the asscher shine! Ring size is 6.25...

flower012shots.jpg

asscherhaloflower5.JPG

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a difference!!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would add side stones and make a 3 stone with your diamond. I am on the fence about halos, some are really pretty, some not. Either way I think they are kinda trendy right now and I don't usually do trendy. Just my 2 cents ;-)

A

Anonymous

I haven't visited the board in a few days and honestly thought that this thread had died, so I was surprised to see all of the (nice and not so nice) responses. :oops:

Asscherhalo_lover and Risingsun, I *LOVE* your rings. I don't think I'll go with something like Asschers because I'm usually not a huge fan of bezel set, but the before and after pics of yours show an amazing transformation - wow! Rising, yours is very similar to what I'd like. I highly doubt that I'll be able to go with a Tacori setting from a financial standpoint, but moreso because I'd want to use as much of my current setting as possible for sentimental reasons. So all of these examples show me ideas of what I might be able to do with just changing out the head of my setting if/when I do it.

I'm sorry to see that for a while we were derailed, but I am glad I posted because it's helped me a lot, thank you!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I wouild say your stone is the *perfect* size to look great in a halo. I had a (not so delicate) one that came with my 3 1/2ct OEC and I didn't like it, it was way bulky with a larger center stone like that. However if I had a diamond up to about 1 carat that I wanted to set into a modern setting, I'd definitely consider a halo.

If you're on a budget and are looking for a particularly antique variety of halo, check out the Beverly K collection on Pearlman's website. I've seen BK's settings in person and was very happy with their workmanship, it's a great value for the quality.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I am not going to vote "halo" or "no halo" but I'll just add the following thoughts... a center stone under like 1.5ct can easily "get lost" in a bulky halo. The style of the halo is very important IMO. I see so many mall halos with 1ct centers that look like cocktail rings to me. The size ratio between the center and halo stones isn't visually correct. However, I see 1ct center stone halos on here that look perfect. Have you considered a bezel setting? If you want a larger look that is another option. Remember that not all bezels are modern and chunky... there are some lovely examples on PS of bezels.

I have a 2ct round center stone with a relatively dainty halo and I think the proportions are a little off on mine.... I think the stones are the correct size but I think it's a little heavy on the metal.

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I an adding a couple of photos of my ring. It is a custom halo from James Allen with claw prongs; the center stone is 1.58. I just hope that you find a setting for your stone that makes your heart sing like this one does mine.

dscn2961.jpg

dscn2968.jpg

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
GamGam, do you mind me asking what color your diamond is? I'm only asking because the diamond that I'm thinking of a halo for is an L color (I'm a warm stone lover), but I'm worried that unless I do a custom piece, the side diamonds are going to be too stark of a difference in a halo as most companies use F/G in their melee.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
tammy77 said:
I haven't visited the board in a few days and honestly thought that this thread had died, so I was surprised to see all of the (nice and not so nice) responses. :oops:

Asscherhalo_lover and Risingsun, I *LOVE* your rings. I don't think I'll go with something like Asschers because I'm usually not a huge fan of bezel set, but the before and after pics of yours show an amazing transformation - wow! Rising, yours is very similar to what I'd like. I highly doubt that I'll be able to go with a Tacori setting from a financial standpoint, but moreso because I'd want to use as much of my current setting as possible for sentimental reasons. So all of these examples show me ideas of what I might be able to do with just changing out the head of my setting if/when I do it.

I'm sorry to see that for a while we were derailed, but I am glad I posted because it's helped me a lot, thank you!

Thanks for the love, tammy! I spent a lot of time deciding to halo my ring. I still have my former setting, which I used to set my Ceylon sapphire. I wear my five stone ring when I want to keep things simple. I adore many types of settings, if they are done properly. If you ever want to talk further, please let me know :))

Little Grey Kitten, I didn't know if your post referred to my ring. If so, let me know so that I may respond to you...

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
I've a 0.73 RB on a finger size 8 :((
I'd like to halo it, but I'm undecided for many reasons.

With a so small stone, what is the right ctw for the diamods of the halo?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I wouldn't worry about the total carat weight, but rather what looks right visually. If you want it to have a delicate look, you may want to use 1.5mm's max, as the halo itself typically adds and extra 1mm, for a total of 2mm halo. If you want more of an old-fashioned flower looking cluster halo, go with 2-2.5mm rounds on the halo, and that will add a 3mm halo. I'm not sure what the mm size of your stone is. The best thing would be to take the stone while it's loose and try it out in a few different semi-mounts. You'll know what looks most pleasing to your eye.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock
I love halos! Like many have said, it depends on the stone and the setting. But I think halos generally look wonderful. I'm considering a solitaire upgrade for me personally but not out of dislike for halos. Halos rock.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
valchiria said:
I've a 0.73 RB on a finger size 8 :((
I'd like to halo it, but I'm undecided for many reasons.

With a so small stone, what is the right ctw for the diamods of the halo?

Halos of many sizes can look very good, it's a matter of getting the design and proportions appropriate to fit the size of the center stone. If you choose a cluster ring, the halo will be much larger. These can be very pretty. I have a pendant and drop earring set that features this design. I would post pics, if my image storage was working :nono: The rest of this is my .02 only: In a halo e-ring, I like the diamonds to be very small and add just a a touch of an outline around the edge of the center stone. I also prefer to use as little metal as possible. For a RB, I prefer prong-set to bezel set. To me, the prong-set, if properly made, shows no--if any--demarcation line between the center stone and the halo. I also like to see the halo set somewhat lower than the center stone. The height of the center stone in the halo is very important to me. Not too high and not too low. I have seen center stones sitting above the halo and halos sitting level or slightly higher than the center stone. These types of details can make a big difference. Then there is the matter of the gallery and profile to consider.

When my DH and I saw the finished product, we were almost shocked--with joy! The actual size of my center stone appeared to be larger than before. I'm not talking about the appearance with the halo--the stone itself. Then there was the enhancement of the halo and the rest of the design elements. While I do encourage those who want halos to do so, I also strongly recommend that you know and understand what and how the design elements will work for you and your ring.

davidsbfly

Rough_Rock
Here are a couple pics of my round brilliant in a cusion shaped halo. I too wanted no gaps and I am EXTREMELY happy with the results!!

IMG_8973.jpg

IMG_9019.jpg

IMG_9062-2.jpg

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
My stone is around 5.8 mm.
I was thinking about a halo with 1 point for each diamond or 2 points :sick:
2 photos
1-near a ring with 2 points
2-near an earring with 0.008

2points.jpg

0.008.jpg

DiamondCat

Shiny_Rock
i wouldn't halo an engagement ring because to me a halo ring is a cocktail/rhr ring. personally i would turn it into a 3 stone for more finger bling orrr save up and trade in for a larger solitaire

missD

Rough_Rock
I went with a halo and now I'm going for something simpler...

I had 2 halo settings ever since I received my 1ct stone. I honestly thought that it was the setting of my dreams, the first e-ring was super delicate, it was around 1.5mm for the band alone! However upon closer inspection, the whole basket halo part was crooked so I had it remade but just a little thicker and more substantial, as in 1.5mm for the halo bit and just under 2mm for the band on a 3 sided pave. It was delicious + SUPER sparkly. I got compliments left and right.

As a year went by, I started noticing that my main stone was getting over shadowed by the amount of bling around it. My friends LOVE my setting and that it's SUPER sparkly but when I see it, all the awesome micropave was sparkly and my stone was sometimes lost. It looked bigger than it is, the whole thing looked bigger, but sometimes I just want to see the beauty of my stone and nothing encasing it. And my stone is pretty awesome - so bright and beautiful.

So right now I made a decision to go let go of the halo and go with a 3-stone baguette setting. This way, I get finger coverage while having my stone as the star and slim baguettes on each side to compliment it.

I guess that's the deal with me, in a halo, my stone somehow was not the "star" in my eyes.

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
DiamondCat said:
i wouldn't halo an engagement ring because to me a halo ring is a cocktail/rhr ring. personally i would turn it into a 3 stone for more finger bling orrr save up and trade in for a larger solitaire
Eh, I already have 3 different 3 stone ring :wacko:
One with H color, one with G color and one with Leo cut

Where I live the prices of diamonds are crazy. My husband spent, 2 years ago, for my 0.73 F IF, 14000 USD .
So, to buy a larger stone it's very hard at the moment because now we must pay our house :errrr:

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just posting to answer Winks Elf's question. My RB is an I color.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's beautiful! That oh, so slight touch of warmth gives it delicious character!

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you. :))

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love halos. The more diamonds I can see on my ring, the better! I have pretty squat fingers and I like the coverage as well, but it's not to try to fool anyone into thinking I have a bigger stone.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
valchiria said:
My stone is around 5.8 mm.
I was thinking about a halo with 1 point for each diamond or 2 points :sick:
2 photos
1-near a ring with 2 points
2-near an earring with 0.008

It's difficult for me to see the proportions in the first pic. I think the halo size in pic 2 is larger than I would be comfortable with. See if you can try on a halo with similar proportions to get a better idea. In fact, so it with both of your examples. You need to starting seeing what type of halo looks right on your hand ;))

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Huh? :confused: Risingsun, I was talking about a setting I used to own, that came with my 3 1/2 ct OEC, not your ring. The halo was not particularly delicate (big melee, lots of metal) and it looked not so great on my stone, especially since both halo and stone were larger, and that I thought the OP's diamond would look nice in a halo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results