shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiny diamond repair problem...

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
So, I got a new ring from my trusted jeweler of 20 yrs, just a sweet anniversary present for a special day we usually celebrate. It was sized for me. When I put it on, I noticed a small diamond on the end was badly cracked, and the prong had been retouched with a glob of solder really sloppily. We returned it to the jeweler within the hour. I had worn it for all of five minutes.
He agreed to replace the stone.
Well, I got it back this week and the diamond is smaller, it's not G/H color, more like K and has a very dark inclusion. It's just awful!!!!!
I hate to go back there for something so trivial, but it's really bothering me. Why would they cheapskate out on me like this!!! I told him take your time, there's no rush, get a nice match etc. ARGGH!
I have a good relationship with him, which I don't want to sour with this picky little issue.
What to do?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pictures would help. I would be inclined to take it back and to nicely say that in your eyes it doesnt match the other stones
and that you can see some black carbon in it. Hopefully they will volunteer to replace it again.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
My camera is having a hard time focusing. But, it's the lowest diamond on the right:
20190405_131322.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you certain the diamond is not dirty (just making sure)? If not, then I would politely but firmly ask the jeweler to try again. That would drive me nuts and it’s a pretty glaring oversight, really, considering that’s what you took it back to them for.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure it’s clean and then take it back for additional repair

TheBlingleys

Rough_Rock
I would take it back to get it fixed again. It would bother me.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh for goodness sake why would he hand you back something like that, especially if you're on good terms with him, sheesh...I'd go back and ask him to replace it...how annoying! :x2

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it back and tell him you are not happy with it - and be firm. There is no excuse for that! He needs to order in a stone the same size and color as the others - not just use whatever he had in stock. That kind of stuff really makes me angry - can only imagine how you feel!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for the kind support.( I really needed it)..I was so nervous going back in to deal with this! ( I'm really good at giving other people advice, but when it comes to ME, I'm just a wreck!!:oops:)
Anyway, yes, believe it or not that stone was cleaned a million times ( along with the ring, of course) well, maybe not a million...but that's how bad it was!
So I went in today, and they were sweet as could be, didn't realize how the bench had sent it out and offered to replace, no cost to me, or provide a brand new ring, or allow store credit.
But, this would be the third repair, and the prongs were looking blobby and sketch after all this...well, I just had to rethink the whole thing. I mean, who wants a ring with so much trouble?
SO...while I was deciding, I saw a BEAUTIFUL little loose diamond that had just come back from GIA, and fell in love. I've been wanting something little to wear when I don't want to look so overly blingy ( there ARE times!), and which would come close to my original ER diamond I foolishly traded up years ago. Ah, the sentiment!
So, I took it home! My jeweler is letting me test drive it, and if it feels right, hopefully we can set it tomorrow. No more angst over that other ring. I don't think it was meant to be anyway.
Not sure if I should post pics here...it's off topic, I guess!

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the kind support.( I really needed it)..I was so nervous going back in to deal with this! ( I'm really good at giving other people advice, but when it comes to ME, I'm just a wreck!!:oops:)
Anyway, yes, believe it or not that stone was cleaned a million times ( along with the ring, of course) well, maybe not a million...but that's how bad it was!
So I went in today, and they were sweet as could be, didn't realize how the bench had sent it out and offered to replace, no cost to me, or provide a brand new ring, or allow store credit.
But, this would be the third repair, and the prongs were looking blobby and sketch after all this...well, I just had to rethink the whole thing. I mean, who wants a ring with so much trouble?
SO...while I was deciding, I saw a BEAUTIFUL little loose diamond that had just come back from GIA, and fell in love. I've been wanting something little to wear when I don't want to look so overly blingy ( there ARE times!), and which would come close to my original ER diamond I foolishly traded up years ago. Ah, the sentiment!
So, I took it home! My jeweler is letting me test drive it, and if it feels right, hopefully we can set it tomorrow. No more angst over that other ring. I don't think it was meant to be anyway.
Not sure if I should post pics here...it's off topic, I guess!

Yes, pics please!:razz:

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
ohhh!!! very happy to oblige! So new, I don't have pics yet....back in a sec!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
here's the first one...
specs:1.15, K, SI1
cut grade:good, polish:good, Symmetry:Fair (LOL, it's transitional cut)
crown angle 36.5, pavilion angle: 40.6
depth 64.9%table 49%
20190405_224122.jpg

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
20190405_225500.jpg If I post this in its own thread, I will get balled out!!! ( because of the specs :roll2:)
But, I love it, and that's what matters

Last edited:

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
20190405_225500.jpg If I post this in its own thread, I will get balled out!!! ( because of the specs :roll2:)
But, I love it, and that's what matters

It looks like a beauty!:kiss2: How are you going to have it set?

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
not quite sure yet. it looks big in the pics, but it's small, so I wanted to keep it simple.
a few small diamonds* on the sides, but not pave.

* or maybe not !!! ha ha

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It'll be harder to fix it now than it would have been to do it right in the first place, but that's their problem, not yours. Go back and have them do it right. The only other options are to suck it up and live with it (which will piss you off every time you look at it) or hire someone else to do it right (which will cost you money and will spell the end of this relationship).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it back, it will slowly drive you crazy otherwise.
Be super nice and polite.
Hi, sorry I’m back again after you kindly replaced that chipped diamond, but the replacement diamond isn’t nice and white like the others. See how it looks darker. And see how the claw is all mashed down. I love this ring, it’s a very special anniversary gift for me and I want to wear it everyday from now on, but this yuk diamond and mashed claw is all I keep seeing. Sorry I know I’m a fussy one but it really bothers me. Could you please check again with your supplier for a whiter one and ask your setter to finish off the claw so it looks just like the other ones. No rush, I know you’re busy, but seeing as I’m a long time customer I’m hoping you’ll understand why this matters.
Big smile.
It’s very hard to not be nice in return to a nice, albeit fussy, customer.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Yes, to all of the above, and thank you! My husband was not happy with the K color diamond after we saw it again this afternoon.
So, back to square one!
He said we should check out WF. I won't say no to that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results