shape
carat
color
clarity

Timing of giving V Day pendant

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I have a quick question for the ladies. I have a diamond pendant that I purchased for my wife. I want some opinions on when to give her the pendant. We are going to a very swanky restaurant on Sunday evening that is overlooking the ocean so we will be dressed up. Would you rather get the pendant before the restaurant or should I wait and give it to her during desert? I need some opinions on the timing.

BTW I posted the pendant here. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-necklaces-and-pendants.156142/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-necklaces-and-pendants.156142/[/URL]

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, that is a gorgeous pendant - what a sweet husband! I say give it to her as she's getting ready, so she can enjoy it throughout the night and feel like a million bucks.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Yeah, I've been debating that because we have two young kids so we'll be trying to get out the door with babysitter so I think the moment will kind of get lost, but still debating.

janlwf

Rough_Rock
I would prefer to be given such a beautiful gift in the privacy of my home rather than a restaurant. I would feel more more comfortable if I needed to cry, squeal or even jump for joy ...not to mention admire my new pendant in the mirror and show off my new pretty to the little ones.

Your mileage may vary

CamoKitty

Rough_Rock
Awww that's so sweet! I also would prefer to be given a gift like that while still getting ready. My husband has done that once before while I was still putting on my makeup and I was able to see it in the mirror right away. Though if the little ones are a bit too chaotic, how bout right after you are both in the car in the driveway? Hehe, or you could hang it from the rear-view mirror ahead of time, open the car door, help her in and let her find it as you walk around to the driver's seat :) Gift giving is always so much fun! I hope you guys have a lovely evening, the pendent is gorgeous!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Give it to her as she's getting ready. Maybe when she's putting on the necklace she thinks she is going to wear? Lol that will be fun. If the kids are too much, then I vote for in the car. Or in the car when you get the restaurant before going in.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pendant! I vote for before you get to the restaurant, whether it is at the house or in the car. She's going to love it.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, finally a question in Rocky Talky that I can answer! I vote for giving it to her at the house - more privacy, and she can enjoy her new pendant throughout the whole evening...which is absolutely gorgeous btw - You're such a sweet husband!

ETA: Aw dang, I didn't even get this one right...just saw the other opinions suggesting the car, and that's an even better idea!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm gonna go against the grain here. Having had my 4 kids in under 6 years I'd say do it in the elegant swanky restaurant! How romantic and she can look at herself in the mirror with it on for the rest of her life!!!

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
All great replies, thank you so much! Normally, I would have given it to her at the house while getting ready, I did that with a pearl necklace I gave her however, with a 1 year old and a three year old it is tough to get out the door. My three year old son is like velcro and will obviously know that we are leaving and NOT like it. So it can get very chaotic to say the least and not very romantic.

So, that is why I suggested the restaurant but the car might work.

This is where we are going.

http://www.geoffreysmalibu.com/

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Here are a few more photos. :D

042.JPG

044.JPG

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see your point about not giving it to her at the house, my kids are older now but I remember those days very well! It can certainly get a little hairy trying to get out the door when you have little ones!

Now that I've seen how beautiful the restaurant is, I'm thinking maybe you should give it to her there.

And that pendant is so pretty! She's gonna swoon when she sees it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say give it to her when you first get to the retaurant and having a drink or something. That really is one of the prettiest pendants I have seen! Did you have a particular diamond set in it because it looks like a nice diamond!

z

Rough_Rock
I think it would be better for her to have it before you go to dinner, since you're going to such a nice place. You could leave it for her on the bathroom counter so she finds it when she goes to take a shower. I know I like to leave surprises for my GF to find rather than always hand them to her.

Otherwise give it to her at the restaurant. Whichever way you do it it will be special to her. The evening won't be ruined or made less special by when you give her the gift.

You could also give it to her saturday night after you put the kids to sleep.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Hi diamondseeker. It's a long story but the center diamond in the pendant is the same diamond that is in my signature avatar. That was the diamond that was in her original e-ring. It's a .93 D/VS1 AGS 000 H&A and I sneakily removed it and replaced it with a CZ in her ring, believe it or not she hasn't notice yet and I'm hoping she won't until I give her a new ring (read below). :naughty:

Long story but I wanted first to upgrade her diamond to a larger one. I then decided just to go all the way and get her a new e-ring because she ALWAYS wanted a halo ring. So I first purchased a 1.27 E/VS2 GIA Triple EX H&A diamond from GOG, and had it set in a Michael M halo setting that I ordered. She doesn't know that I have it but we briefly talked about replacing her current ring with a halo ring two or three months ago. The only thing she suspects is that maybe I will get the halo setting and set the .93 diamond in it (which is now in the pendant) however, she hasn't a clue about the new diamond.

I'll post some photos of the Michael M ring tonight. It really is very pretty.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh my word!!! That is the best story ever, JM!!! You're a dream hubby!!!!!

I cant wait to hear about her reaction and see the pics of the ring! The pendant is stunning and she is going to adore it!!! :appl:

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Here is a stock photo of the Michael M setting from a vendor website. It's not the best and really doesn't do the ring justice. I'll post real photos tonight.

R456-2.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
That's gorgeous!!!!! I cant wait to see pics!!!! :appl:

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Dani|1297354804|2848492 said:
Oh my word!!! That is the best story ever, JM!!! You're a dream hubby!!!!!

I cant wait to hear about her reaction and see the pics of the ring! The pendant is stunning and she is going to adore it!!! :appl:

Thanks Dani :D . I don't know if I'm a dream hubby but thank you, I try.

I really hope she loves the pendant. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the original stone. I thought of selling it but quickly realized that wasn't what I wanted to do for sentimental reasons and the also the stone is a stunner. I got the idea of a pendant when I was shopping for the ring. It took a while to find the right pendant and I wanted a halo pendant to match, or at least closely match her ring. I saw this Simon G pendant and loved it as soon as I saw it.

Now I just need to make a decision on when it give it to her.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Dani|1297355805|2848503 said:
That's gorgeous!!!!! I cant wait to see pics!!!! :appl:

Well I'm at work so I don't have photos with me but stay tuned. :bigsmile:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well arent you the sneaky one Jr22? :bigsmile: Your wife is going to be thrilled when she receives all her new gifts!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I think we need to have your write a little book for husbands because you are pulling off what most would never dare to do! First you get her a great first H&A stone and instead of trading it in, you have it set in the pendant! Putting in the cz was genius! I was surprised to see those perfect arrows in a pendant unless it was custom set, which you actually did! And you did a great job on the new ring as well! This is going to be one VERY surprised and happy wife! :appl: :appl: :appl:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't even begin to count the levels of awesome'ness in this post. I can't wait to see more pics of the pendant and the ring! Did I miss it, or when are you giving her the ring?

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1297362086|2848583 said:
Wow! I think we need to have your write a little book for husbands because you are pulling off what most would never dare to do! First you get her a great first H&A stone and instead of trading it in, you have it set in the pendant! Putting in the cz was genius! I was surprised to see those perfect arrows in a pendant unless it was custom set, which you actually did! And you did a great job on the new ring as well! This is going to be one VERY surprised and happy wife! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Luckily, my wife hasn't scrutinized her ring! I can notice the difference especially since a CZ won't show the darker arrows face up, but I will say the CZ looks really good. haha.

I'm think she'll be pleasantly surprised. :bigsmile:

And no I haven't decided when to give her the ring. I even thought about doing in the same day after I give her the pendant and after we leave the restaurant. We can take a walk down to the beach and I can give it to her there but I haven't decided yet. It is killing me that I've had the ring for a month now and I really want to give it to her but it has to be the right timing with that as well.

I would love to get away for a weekend and do it BUT with the two little boys that is near impossible at the moment so I have to adapt and do what I can with the time I can get.

Any suggestions about giving her the ring? Please?

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
athenaworth|1297362735|2848594 said:
I can't even begin to count the levels of awesome'ness in this post. I can't wait to see more pics of the pendant and the ring! Did I miss it, or when are you giving her the ring?

Thanks!!! I don't know if I could have done the CZ switch if she was like most of you ladies on this site :lol:

I will post more photos of the pendant and real photos of the ring tonight so check back, I have a LOT of them.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Jr22|1297363769|2848620 said:

Thanks!!! I don't know if I could have done the CZ switch if she was like most of you ladies on this site :lol:

I will post more photos of the pendant and real photos of the ring tonight so check back, I have a LOT of them.

I can't wait to see photos. When you give her the pendant, are you going to tell her it is her ring diamond? If you do...you might want to have the new ring ready?

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1297363957|2848624 said:
Jr22|1297363769|2848620 said:

I can't wait to see photos. When you give her the pendant, are you going to tell her it is her ring diamond? If you do...you might want to have the new ring ready?

No I wasn't planning on telling her the diamond in the pendant was her e-ring diamond until AFTER I gave her the new ring. So thinking about this brings up a good point.

Should I:
Give her the ring first?
Then when she asks me "what should we do with the diamond in the "old" ring, I can give her the pendant and say "how about this"!

Hmmmm

Please chime in!

z

Rough_Rock
Jr22|1297364966|2848634 said:
No I wasn't planning on telling her the diamond in the pendant was her e-ring diamond until AFTER I gave her the new ring. So thinking about this brings up a good point.

Should I:
Give her the ring first?
Then when she asks me "what should we do with the diamond in the "old" ring, I can give her the pendant and say "how about this"!

Hmmmm

Please chime in!

give her the ring first.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
When was the plan to give her the ring originally? Is there a special occassion?

For the pendant I would like to receive it before the evening was through, BUT being a mother of a 2 year old I can commisserate with the craziness that is getting out the door, so I would suggest giving her the pendant when you order your wine at the start of the meal!! That is a nice compromise!

That said I would give her the ring first, so perhaps give that to her at dinner over wine or champagne, then give the pendant later, maybe over dessert. She would be floored! She would not veen suspect since you would not tell her about the old switcheroo until you pull out the pendant. What fun.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'd give her the pendant during drinks and appetizers. Then she thinks she has her Valentine's present. Then she won't be expecting anything else. The walk on the beach will be a PERFECT time to give her the ring because she clearly will not expect it! Plus it will be more private than the restaurant and romantic, too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results