shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany LIW discussion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I thought I''d bring our discussion over here!

Date: 2/10/2009 6:14:31 PM
Author: LabRatPhD
Hi Dreamgirl!

Really?? We must be long-lost twins!
2.gif
At T&Co, my SO really only liked the Tiffany setting and the Novo. I liked the Novo at first because it seemed like it had more personality than the Tiffany setting. I tried on several Novos (along with the matching wedding band) and really thought that would be my set. I started looking at the other wedding bands on the Tiffany website and somehow it seemed that the bands I liked wouldn''t look so cute with the Novo e-ring. My mom really likes the Tiffany setting so she has been prodding me to try it on seriously. We have some 2.03 ct Tiffany settings coming in to our local store so I am dying to try them on. Hopefully it will be my ring very soon and the fickle syndrome goes away!
3.gif
That is EXACTLY what I used to think of the Novo!!! (You can read my Novo crazed threads I once started just to see! lol) I always had known of *all* of Tiffany''s rings but when the Novo came out, I was like "THAT''S IT!! THAT''S MY RING!" I knew I always wanted a Tiffany though because the styles can''t be beat (IMO.) Boyfriend never was into it like I was and kept insisting he liked the Tiffany Setting. I always blew him off. I even threw a fit about it one time because I so badly wanted him to like the Novo too. I could never have a ring he didn''t like. I tried it on a few times on my own thinking it was perfect...until...we had looked at rings together, it was only then that I realized why he didn''t like it for me and then I felt the same way.

I told the SA that my boyfriend liked the Tiffany Setting so we went over to look. And........WOW!!!!!! What a difference on the hand. I fell in love immediately! And as I said, that is when my boyfriend found the setting with tapered baguettes. He pointed it out in the case. I couldn''t believe he would like a ring like that, I was amazed! So, I tried it on and we were madly in love with that one too....

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hi!
1.gif

SO and I started our e-ring search in early January. I was initially interested in the Novo and Legacy styles because I really wanted a cushion and a thin band. I was so excited that T&Co had come out with the Novo. We went to T&Co and right off the bat SO hated the Legacy. He thought it looked clunky and didn''t sparkle like the other rings. He kept pointing out the Tiffany setting (which I ignored!) and finally we spied the Novos. He really liked the thin band and its slight resemblance to the Tiffany setting. I loved that it had more flair than the Tiffany setting. We had a handful of Novos brought in from 1.58-1.82 ct and I tried them on. I loved them all and thought the matching band was so cute
30.gif
. SO requested some 2 ct Novos last week and we were put on the waiting list to see them. Maybe my mind was too idle this past weekend (being on a wait list to see rings stinks!!
29.gif
) but I started browsing my Tiffany Engagement Rings and Wedding Bands booklet this past weekend. The Tiffany setting just looked so pretty and classic in the book. I know my mom adores the Tiffany setting and kept pointing it out back in December when we went to T&Co together. I also love that so many of the wedding bands look fabulous with the Tiffany setting, whereas with the Novo e-ring, the Novo band was the only one that appealed to me. I also started thinking about my style in general - I prefer classic accessories and jewelry. The Tiffany setting just seems so much more fitting with my style!
This brings us to today - I asked SO if he would contact our SA to bring in some 2 ct Tiffany setting rings. The 2ct Novos are coming as well. We should be heading to T&Co on Saturday to take a look and hopefully make a decision!
30.gif
Buying a ring on Valentine''s Day will be awesome! We will wait to get engaged until the summer though because my mom has her own timeline in mind.
20.gif
My poor SO just wants to make his future MIL happy!

I hope you get the ring of your dreams, Dreamgirl!
5.gif
I love chatting about Tiffany rings (or Tiffany''s in general!)

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
The thinnes of the band really drew me to the Novo as well. I don't want a chunky band and I always thought the Tiffany Setting was chunky until I really.....REALLY looked at it on my hand. The knife edge makes it look very thin and incredibly elegant. The angles on the setting are to-die-for and to which while being on Pricescope, I have seen SEVERAL replications but to me, they just don't look as good as the real thing.

LOL it's funny that your SO kept pointing out the Tiffany Setting while you ignored it too. I wonder why we overlook these things? Of ALL the times I've been in the store and cruised by the engagement rings, I never really looked at it...you know? I mean, I knew what it looked like but I too thought it was too 'plain' for my taste and the Novo had that pizzaz I was longing for.

I COMPLETELY understand what you are saying about the wedding bands. Which is another huge part of why I've now opted out of the Novo obsession I had last year. Actually, that day we looked at rings...the SA suggested the Novo wedding band with the Tiffany Setting and I tried it on. I thought it was an incredibly perfect compromise from me wanting the Novo and SO wanting me to have something else. I still had that gorgeous and elegant thin band from the Novo and let me tell you...the Tiffany Setting POPS like mad crazy next to a blingy wedding band. I loved how it stood up all on its own calling all attention to just one area instead of all over the place!

I haven't really tried on any wedding bands but a few with the other setting we love so dearly which is something I very badly would like to do with SO on another trip to Tiffany when we are 'serious' at looking into a ring. My SA told me something that has stuck with me which I completely believe, which is- it helps A LOT in deciding on which engagement ring you get by trying it on with various wedding bands. You only wear the engagement ring ALONE for a short period of time in your life- you wear it your entire life with a wedding band next to it.

What's great about the Tiffany Setting is that there is endless possibilities when it comes to matching a wedding band with it. Another thing my SA did was stack another Novo on the other side of the Tiffany Setting. So there were 2 Novo's sandwiching the Tiffany Setting. It was GORGEOUS!!!

Thank you for the well wishes! I certainly hope so too! I think it will be a while though. It looks like you will for sure get one of your dreams. I can't wait to see what happens for you! Oh, and I can talk all Tiffany all day 24/7.
2.gif

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hello! SO called me this morning and asked if I want to go to T&Co tonight!! Apparently, our SA said he can only hold the Novos that came in for 24 hours so he wanted us to stop by ASAP. Even though I don''t think I want the Novo anymore, I am definitely excited to go and see the Tiffany setting again and try on the different bands. I think SO thinks I am a little nuts with the sudden change in opinion about the ring so he wants us to go again to make sure. I have *no* problem visiting T&Co even if my dream ring is not there yet!
5.gif
I''m so excited!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sounds wonderful! I wanna go too!!
27.gif
31.gif
39.gif
lol! Definitely try on the different bands, as many as you are interested in and see how they go with it! You may be surprised and fall in love with a certain look you wouldn''t have otherwised thought!

So, you will look at a few Tiffany Settings until they get in your couple of 2ct''s? I guess then that you haven''t actually tried this setting on. Right?

There isn''t anything wrong with changing your mind! It''s better to do that now instead of after you have the ring (IMO)

Oh, I also forgot to mention that my Mom always liked the Tiffany Setting too. I remember asking her once what she likes (for me) because she isn''t a jewelry girl at all and she pointed this out too. I remember at the time I was like "Really? Are you kidding me? What about the NOVO!?!" lol I guess Mothers always know best!

Which reminds me, my boyfriend likes to (from time to time)- point out how good he did that day in Tiffany.
3.gif
How he knew exactly what I would like without me even knowing that I would like it. ha! I have to admit- he was right though, I should trust him more with the ring situation. He wants to surprise me with a ring. Hopefully Tiffany, and I honestly think he will do good with that. An engagment is further down the road for us though, so we may in the future take another trip to the store and look together at the settings again. I honestly can''t wait!

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hehe, SO knows I hate surprises and am very particular about what I like. I think he was just taken aback since the Novo was all he was hearing about for weeks.I think my mom likes the Tiffany setting because it really showcases the diamond. She''s a big fan of jewelry (we are Indian and Indian jewelry is gold, elaborate, and very blingy) but she loves the simplicity of the Tiffany setting as the engagement ring. I am nowhere near as blingy as my Mom but I like the Tiff setting for that reason too.

I actually tried on a 2.5 ct Tiffany setting the very first time we looked at rings to see the size of the stone. The ring itself was way too big and the stone just looked large and droopy on my finger. Both the SA and SO thought it looked like too much. It looked all wrong on my tiny hand. By then I wrote it off as the ring style itself and moved on.

I am happy that I felt the tinge of doubt now as opposed to later, like you said. I do not plan on ever upgrading my e-ring for sentimental reasons, plus there is no way I would want to get a bigger diamond. Besides, there are plenty of things on my jewelry wishlist that SO can get me if he wants to buy me a present
2.gif

My SO has been pretty good in the jewelry stores lately. He was kind enough to buy me a watch for my 26th b-day a few months ago. We went to the jewelry store to look together. He liked a 18 kt white gold/steel Rolex Lady Datejust and I was set on him getting me a 2-tone small Cartier Tank Francaise. I was a total brat about it. Of course after some time, I became a convert to loving the Rolex and that''s what he ended up getting me.
1.gif
I really do need to trust him more
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Just popping in to say LabRatPhD come back and tell us what you think of the Novos! I''m excited to hear!

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
SO called to let me know he got bogged down with an assignment and won''t be able to go T&Co today!
7.gif
The store closes at 6 on weekdays, which really stinks given our schedules. He thought he would be able to get out early this evening. We will probably go on Friday or Saturday. I hate waiting (sorry feeling bratty right now!)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 6:55:23 PM
SO called to let me know he got bogged down with an assignment and won''t be able to go T&Co today!
7.gif
The store closes at 6 on weekdays, which really stinks given our schedules. He thought he would be able to get out early this evening. We will probably go on Friday or Saturday. I hate waiting (sorry feeling bratty right now!)

7.gif

But it''s ok! Saturday is Valentine''s so it''s even better to go look at gorgeous 2 ct erings at Tiffanys then!
1.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Yay for T&Co threads
31.gif
can i say dear dreamgirl and labrat that i agree with your SOs instincts - the tiff setting is classic, and i think the proportions work better than the novo if that makes sense. Though goodness knows i wouldnt turn down a novo either!!

My tiffany saga started a year or so ago, when SO and i were soon to depart for our ''trip of a lifetime'' and he decided spur of the moment one day that we would look in the tiffany and co in melbourne. So we did and he suggested i try on a lucida - ever since the lucida came out (and i saw it in magazines) id fancied it!! So i tried on a few...but the thing is, id also always fancied an emerald cut diamond, preferably set east-west. So i tried on an emerald cut solitaire in tiffanys and my heart gave a thump
30.gif
anyways SO said it looked like an ''old lady''s ring''
29.gif
can you imagine. BUt he loved the lucida - and then we went overseas and i determined over time that i would get a lucida.

Well anyways when we got to europe 11 months later (no tiffany''s in Africa!!) i tried on the lucida again and was just like...nope its not me. actually i think the shape of the stone doesnt do my finger any favours. On the other hand the rectangular version of the lucida looks fabulous....but so does the emerald cut
9.gif
my poor SO you must be thinking
31.gif

Then a month or so after that i tried on a barrage of beauties in vancouver...the SA was really lovely there, the most helpful ive met. Anyways i tried on the novo and the legacy, not my style. I tried on a massive three stone emerald cut which i could not take my eyes of but it really just was too much. I tried on the round brilliant with the graduated square channel band - and i was almost converted to rounds (you may have guessed they''re not for me). I also tried on the rectangular lucida again (still loving it!!) and an emerald cut solitaire, and of course the emerald cut solitaire with sapphire side emerald cuts. I was quite taken with this one, though it was a bit big, hence i was after an idea of the prices of it in a smaller carat weight centre diamond. Add the fact that SO is dead against side stones of any variety and it looked like a race between the rectangular lucida and the emerald cut.

So now its been five months since i saw the rings and i have a sneaking suspicion that the rectangular lucida is essentially an elongated cushion - when i think back on it i feel like it looked like a friends who had a cushion. So ive gone back to wanting an emerald cut..... But its hard because its been so long since i saw them.....

sometimes i really wish i just didnt care...but oh i do
30.gif
31.gif

hows that for a rant ladies
9.gif

oooh and how exciting - a valentines day trip to tiffs, i bet the atmosphere there will be fantastic!!! tell us all about it labrat
36.gif

Dreamgirl - have you seen gorri''s tiffany vday pressie on SMTR

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to the thread, Blackpaw!

Your experience sounds like mine! I''m sure my SO is exasperated with how I have changed my opinion about rings. I hope the Tiffany setting does it for me, ''cause I don''t think SO can take much more of e-ring shopping!

I love T&Co''s e-rings! I think I saw the emerald cut solitaire with sapphire side emerald cuts in my Engagement Rings and Wedding Bands booklet. It looks so lovely!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait for the news Labrat!

You know, now that I think about it talking about all this again and Blackpaw bringing it up. I was thinking last night as I said about the Tiffany Setting/Novo wedding band sandwich and how good it looked.....uh oh! I haven't been thinking about rings in a while but now I am again!!!!!!!!
6.gif
3.gif

I should msg. the admins and have them change the title of this thread to something else.....hmmm....what do you girls think? Since we are all here talking about our Tiffany dream rings!

Yay!!!!!!!!! I love talking Tiffany with people who actually care about Tiffany!!!!

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 6:46:44 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
I should msg. the admins and have them change the title of this thread to something else.....hmmm....what do you girls think? Since we are all here talking about our Tiffany dream rings!

Yay!!!!!!!!! I love talking Tiffany with people who actually care about Tiffany!!!!

Hehe, yes, perhaps the thread name should be changed! I laugh every time I see the title because my screenname sounds so nerdy.
I love talking about Tiffany''s jewelry. I have only one silver necklace (not a huge fan of silver) but I have been really getting into the fine jewelry. Maybe some wedding jewelry will come from T&Co!

Ugh, I was really excited about going to T&Co tomorrow but now I am a little worried. I was obsessive and called the 1-800 number to get the specs on the 2.1 RB Tiffany setting ring that our SA will be showing us tomorrow. I plugged them into the HCA calculator and the stone is kind of a dud! I''m really disappointed! There is a 2.03 and 2.01 ct in our specs that have much better HCA scores, but they are on hold at another store so we are wait-listed again. I am so sick of being wait-listed for rings! Hopefully they won''t be sold and I can take a look at all 3 together. I would hate to settle on the 2.1 ct knowing that the stone is not the best, especially for the premium we are paying at T&Co. Boo!

Sorry, just had to vent!
38.gif
I know it''ll be fun playing with the rings tomorrow!
31.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Mmmmmm a Tiffany sandwhich
30.gif
that sounds ilike a lovely way to get the best of both rings
31.gif

labrat i feel for my SO i really do, he''s gotten a bit exasperated with me at times i must admit. I just didnt expect really to have the opportunity to decide myself what kind of ring id have.

the em cut with the sapphires is stunning, though i honestly dont know that i could deal with having to learn about sapphires too
9.gif
but it is dreamy...

oh and dreamgirl i meant to say i too agree that you cant match the original tiffany design. I considered trying to get a replica of the lucida but many repros just dont get it right or look clumsy, not to mention the stone is very hard to match...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 9:14:32 PM
Date: 2/12/2009 6:46:44 PM

Author: Dreamgirl

Hehe, yes, perhaps the thread name should be changed! I laugh every time I see the title because my screenname sounds so nerdy.

I love talking about Tiffany''s jewelry. I have only one silver necklace (not a huge fan of silver) but I have been really getting into the fine jewelry. Maybe some wedding jewelry will come from T&Co!

Ugh, I was really excited about going to T&Co tomorrow but now I am a little worried. I was obsessive and called the 1-800 number to get the specs on the 2.1 RB Tiffany setting ring that our SA will be showing us tomorrow. I plugged them into the HCA calculator and the stone is kind of a dud! I''m really disappointed! There is a 2.03 and 2.01 ct in our specs that have much better HCA scores, but they are on hold at another store so we are wait-listed again. I am so sick of being wait-listed for rings! Hopefully they won''t be sold and I can take a look at all 3 together. I would hate to settle on the 2.1 ct knowing that the stone is not the best, especially for the premium we are paying at T&Co. Boo!

Sorry, just had to vent!
38.gif
I know it''ll be fun playing with the rings tomorrow!
31.gif

Aww that sucks Labrat, but on the other hand, it will make it that much better when you DO find the perfect diamond and ring! And no harm in going and trying that one on anyway
2.gif
Just to see how the size looks, you know?

Maybe this is a good place to ask, since you ladies are all Tiffanys fans, but do any of you have the Elsa Peretti stacking ring? I posted the link to the diamond one but I just meant any of them. If so, what do you think? Do you like it? Think it''d make a good travel ring (simple, able to hike, etc.)?

Oh DG, I love that combination of Tiff classic + Novo band!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
do you know becg i do think the peretti band is a fantastic travelling ring. simple, classic, comfortable to wear, not too ostentatious.

i had a ring very similar which unfortunately ive lost, but i truly loved it.

i also think the metro bands in diamonds or aquamarines are a really nice casual but still special ring....

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 1:12:43 AM
Author: Blackpaw
do you know becg i do think the peretti band is a fantastic travelling ring. simple, classic, comfortable to wear, not too ostentatious.

i had a ring very similar which unfortunately ive lost, but i truly loved it.

i also think the metro bands in diamonds or aquamarines are a really nice casual but still special ring....

Thanks Blackpaw! I love that band - and it''s in my price range. I''ve been spending a little too much money on colored stones lately, so anything more is out for now
7.gif
I do like the round and square larger stackers too though!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Geeze you ladies post fast!
6.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would hate to settle on the 2.1 ct knowing that the stone is not the best, especially for the premium we are paying at T&Co. Boo!
When is he planning on proposing to you? Perhaps if you don''t care for the 2.1 then you should still hold out until the right one comes along...

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 9:35:07 PM
30.gif
31.gif

the em cut with the sapphires is stunning, though i honestly dont know that i could deal with having to learn about sapphires too
9.gif
but it is dreamy...

oh and dreamgirl i meant to say i too agree that you cant match the original tiffany design. I considered trying to get a replica of the lucida but many repros just dont get it right or look clumsy, not to mention the stone is very hard to match...
The Tiffany sandwich does sound rather tasty. It looked mighty good too
31.gif
30.gif

I''m glad FINALLY someone agrees with me on copying Tiffany. I find myself defending it on this website from time to time! lol
3.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 12:23:57 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Maybe this is a good place to ask, since you ladies are all Tiffanys fans, but do any of you have the Elsa Peretti stacking ring? I posted the link to the diamond one but I just meant any of them. If so, what do you think? Do you like it? Think it''d make a good travel ring (simple, able to hike, etc.)?

I have mixed feelings about the Elsa Peretti stacking ring. I think it''s cute but the tiny diamond bothers me a bit because there is only one...you know?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 1:12:43 AM
I LOVEEEEEEEEE the Metro bands!!!!!! The aquamarines are TO DIE FOR!
2.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Lets come up with a name for this thread. What do you think?

How about......Tiffany LIW''s discussion

Or any other suggestions for our thread name change?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
We plan on getting engaged sometime this summer (SO won''t tell me when, but he''s waiting until the summer b/c that is what my mom wants). We have plenty of time to get the ring, so I do want the one that''s perfect for me. I am having a hard time being patient! I am holding out for either the 2.01 or 2.03 ct...we''ll see if they become available.

Oh btw, the new thread name sounds fab!

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
good luck today LabRat! Take some pics if they let you. I snuck some with my iPhone back in Sept while the SA went to get more sizes for SO and I to look at. Everything looks so unbelievably dazzling in Tiffs
1.gif

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 12:23:57 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Aww that sucks Labrat, but on the other hand, it will make it that much better when you DO find the perfect diamond and ring! And no harm in going and trying that one on anyway
2.gif
Just to see how the size looks, you know?

Yes I am excited to see the size of the RB Solitaire! I want to try some different bands and get an idea what looks good.

I like the Elsa Peretti stacking rings, although like DG said, the gem in the middle is a little small. Have you looked at the other stacking ring styles? They have a bit more substantial stone and still relatively inexpensive: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00816&mcat=&cid=&search_params=s+1-p+1-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+stacking+ring&search=1
1.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Now that little guy I love!
30.gif
It has more substance to it if you were to get a stacking ring with a stone. Otherwise, I''d go without a stone.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 11:40:02 AM
Author: SailorsSweet<3
good luck today LabRat! Take some pics if they let you. I snuck some with my iPhone back in Sept while the SA went to get more sizes for SO and I to look at. Everything looks so unbelievably dazzling in Tiffs
1.gif

Hi SailorsSweet<3!

I will try to take pics! Our SA is pretty nice so he may let me sneak away with a few. I will def post them if I can get them!

Thanks for the well wishes!
1.gif

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 9:35:07 PM
30.gif
31.gif

labrat i feel for my SO i really do, he''s gotten a bit exasperated with me at times i must admit. I just didnt expect really to have the opportunity to decide myself what kind of ring id have.

9.gif
but it is dreamy...

Hi Blackpaw!

My SO is getting a bit worn with me too
20.gif
. Hopefully he won''t be cranky today!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I messaged the admins to change the title to our thread. We will wait and see if they do that for us! If so, then this thread now has a new title for us...
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results