shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany classic or Cartier 1895?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price & cache are two different measures. I'd bet a bundle that amongst the general population Tiffany is more desirable but amongst a wealthier population: Cartier would be considered more desirable. Price being equal. The names have different connotations to folks who have a depth of experience with luxury brands -- and Tiffany's reputation has been compromised in that last 10-15 years by their mass marketing efforts & abundant popularity with teens. Has Cartier started selling key chains & beer openers yet?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 5:39:19 PM
Author: decodelighted
Price & cache are two different measures. I'd bet a bundle that amongst the general population Tiffany is more desirable but amongst a wealthier population: Cartier would be considered more desirable. Price being equal. The names have different connotations to folks who have a depth of experience with luxury brands -- and Tiffany's reputation has been compromised in that last 10-15 years by their mass marketing efforts & abundant popularity with teens. Has Cartier started selling key chains & beer openers yet?
You, BEG & Circe definitely explained what I was fumbling about trying to express quite well.

I think it is actually an important consideration if you're paying big $$ for the brand name. If that brand name is important to you, and you're willing to pay thousands to get it, I would go with the brand with more cache for sure, price and style preference being mostly equal.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 6:14:41 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
You, BEG & Circe definitely explained what I was fumbling about trying to express quite well.
I think it is actually an important consideration if you're paying big $$ for the brand name. If that brand name is important to you, and you're willing to pay thousands to get it, I would go with the brand with more cache for sure, price and style preference being mostly equal.
Ever hear of Cartier shoe horns, measuring tapes, luggage tags or harmonicas? All are avail at Tiff!

ETA: And to further clarify ... I'm a Tiffany customer. I wear a Tiffany watch & necklace every day. I covet many Tiffany items. I think they are a fine company with a long reputation for quality & style. Yet Cartier has more *allure* ... more *mystique* ... because they DON'T "dirty themselves" with low priced and/or novelty items. JMHO.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I think that the ring should be bought based on the setting that appeals to you, not the actual name brand. Honestly, either way, not many people are going to know that the ring is from Tiffany or Cartier. I personally did not find the Cartier appealing, but if you like it, get it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 6:59:13 PM
Author: Sam82
I think that the ring should be bought based on the setting that appeals to you, not the actual name brand. Honestly, either way, not many people are going to know that the ring is from Tiffany or Cartier. I personally did not find the Cartier appealing, but if you like it, get it.
If you''re buying on the SETTING STYLE and not name-brand ... geez, get a much larger stone online & pick any darn setting you like! If you''re shopping at either store, name brand appears to be the appeal.

t3

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 7:24:03 PM
If you're buying on the SETTING STYLE and not name-brand ... geez, get a much larger stone online & pick any darn setting you like! If you're shopping at either store, name brand appears to be the appeal.
I just don't think a generic Tiffany setting is comparable to the real thing. It's either set too high or the prongs are slightly thicker or more obtrusive. I'm not just buying for the brand, the quality of the workmanship matters to me (far more than diamond size or clarity past VS1). If I were a total luxury brand snob, I would buy the Cartier. French generally trumps American in luxury opulence.

Tiffany has always made random crap, their company originally was founded on silver trinkets and swords. So making silver keychains and shoehorns is nothing new, they've always made them. But they also invented the modern diamond engagement ring as well as our carat weighing system, so that should count for something too.

Thank you guys for your great opinions. I'm still not totally decided yet, but am leaning towards the Tiffany. I agree with LabRatPhD that the Tiffany is set lower than the Cartier, that matters since my SO is also in a career that uses a lot of disposable gloves.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 10:53:47 PM
Author: t3
If you''re buying on the SETTING STYLE and not name-brand ... geez, get a much larger stone online & pick any darn setting you like! If you''re shopping at either store, name brand appears to be the appeal.
I just don''t think a generic Tiffany setting is comparable to the real thing. It''s either set too high or the prongs are slightly thicker or more obtrusive. I''m not just buying for the brand, the quality of the workmanship matters to me (far more than diamond size or clarity past VS1). If I were a total luxury brand snob, I would buy the Cartier. French generally trumps American in luxury opulence.

Tiffany has always made random crap, their company originally was founded on silver trinkets and swords. So making silver keychains and shoehorns is nothing new, they''ve always made them. But they also invented the modern diamond engagement ring as well as our carat weighing system, so that should count for something too.

Thank you guys for your great opinions. I''m still not totally decided yet, but am leaning towards the Tiffany. I agree with LabRatPhD that the Tiffany is set lower than the Cartier, that matters since my SO is also in a career that uses a lot of disposable gloves.
Both settings are classic for a reason. I''d argue that there are some fine jewelers in the city who make lovely custom rings that would be of equal quality and height etc. (Leon Mege springs to mind -- a very Harry Winston look). Its hard to go wrong with either of your options though. I''m sure she''ll be thrilled with whatever you decide.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Cartier actually does sell keyrings, and Audrey Hepburn looked at a sterling silver telephone dialer in Breakfast at Tiffany''s, but that didn''t tarnish the name for me. I think Tiffany''s has the most classic and well known solitaire setting. It''s a beautiful setting that so many have tried to copy but has never been replicated perfectly. I vote Tiffany!

t3

Rough_Rock
Here''s a shot I found off the Internet of the Tiffany ring (1.2 carat) from the side.

tiffany 2.jpg

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i much prefer the cartier, as i don''t like 6 claw settings!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
think about whether you like the 6 prongs (more rounded look) or the four prong (squarish look) since I prefer a more rounded look I vote the Tiffany 6 prongs. Why don''t you see what your GF gravitates more towards then decide?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 10:53:47 PM

Tiffany has always made random crap, their company originally was founded on silver trinkets and swords. So making silver keychains and shoehorns is nothing new, they''ve always made them. But they also invented the modern diamond engagement ring as well as our carat weighing system, so that should count for something too.

Forgive the threadjack, but the "random crap" that Tiffany made in the second half of the 19th century included some of the most innovative and beautiful silver produced anywhere in the world at the time. Maybe ever.

I would rather have a silver shoehorn from 1880s Tiffany than a diamond ring from them today.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the Tiffany!

boots7

Rough_Rock
Cartier hands down. To me it is not even close!!! Plus the cartier has a smaller ring width which I like.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Price & cache are two different measures. I''d bet a bundle that amongst the general population Tiffany is more desirable but amongst a wealthier population: Cartier would be considered more desirable. Price being equal. The names have different connotations to folks who have a depth of experience with luxury brands -- and Tiffany''s reputation has been compromised in that last 10-15 years by their mass marketing efforts & abundant popularity with teens. Has Cartier started selling key chains & beer openers yet?

Very well said.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 6:59:13 PM

Author: Sam82

Ditto. If I wanted a Tiffany style ring and also top-quality workmanship, I''d probably go with Mark Morrell and his Sunburst rings - and if I wanted a Cartier 1895 style ring (which, since I prefer 4 prongs, I do), I''d first look at Leon Mege''s classic settings. I think those two especially are designers whose workmanship is easily on par with Tiff or Cartier.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not that it seems to matter much, since it sounds like you already decided, but Cartier all the way. Which is what something like 95% of the posters said.

I would also go with Mark Morrell or Leon. Then it''s even more exclusive than Cartier or Tiffany ever could be.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2009 10:42:30 PM

Date: 11/3/2009 10:07:31 PM
Author: Circe

Dead on, ladies - along much the same lines, I''d pick the Cartier as having more cachet in today''s market. Harry Winston and VCA fall into much the same category in my head, with Tiff''s a step below.

I don''t know... the Tiffany and the Cartier are the same price, it''s hard to have more market cachet when you''re the same price for the same diamond (+/- 0.02 carat, VS1, F). As someone not knowledgeable at all about diamonds, I definitely did not put Tiffany below Cartier in engagement rings. In fact the first brand in my head when I was thinking about looking for an engagement ring was Tiffany. The Cartier store was just down the street, so I dropped by as well. I guess that makes Tiffany more pedestrian (like a Rolex versus Omega or Panerai), but that doesn''t necessarily make it one step below. Otherwise it would be an easy decision for me.
I just LOVE the watch example!! Rolex is pedestrian but if you like the style and features they offer then you pick them.

Personally I like 6 prongs but I don''t like knife edge bands. I''d try on both and pick the one with the better "flow." You could look at both on your pinky! But do try to see which setting calls your name.

Good Luck!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you''re leaning towards the Tiffany, but I''ll chime in anyway. Both are beautiful but I prefer the Cartier, in part because I prefer 4 prongs to 6. Just me though.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Is this a surprise proposal or can you have her try on the rings? She may have a strong preference for one over the other.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Cartier.

Kiley

Rough_Rock
to me the Tiffany ring sings classic and elegant!

FWIW, this is my favorite replica http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-11/Tiffany-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-951.html ....

and here is a thread with that setting on a small finger as well ... see page 2 for pictures https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/just-got-my-fiances-engagement-ring-back-had-the-setting-changed-to-superbcert-s-tiffany-replica-t57558-30.html

I cannot tell a difference!

Good luck with your decison!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
classic Tiffany 6-prong - good luck! Please let us know what you decide.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
As a matter of style and quality I would go with Leon Mege.

As a matter of branding between Tiffany and Cartier, there is no contest. It''s gotten to the point where every teeneybopper beebee hangs out at Tiffany. Cartier is far superior in terms of cache.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cartier.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
I actually own the 1895 Cartier solitaire and I LOVE IT! Well actually i should clarify, I USED to own it. It was recently lost and I am now in the process of getting a new ring.

ANYWAY, for me the choice was easy because I love 4-prongs as opposed to 6-prongs.

Go with what you love!

youcantbuyclass

Rough_Rock
I agree with most of what was said. The only thing that I would add (if it''s not too late), is that you need to also take into consideration insurance replacement values. Cartier and Winston stones go up in price year-after-year. Not so much for one-offs.

fashionangel

Rough_Rock
I just ordered my diamond and am deciding between these 2 settings too (mine will be a re-make)! I agree with most of you that Cartier has a more "upclass & exclusive" feel, and the 1895 setting is really beautiful & classic. I would like to have my ring as close to the original brand as possible. My concern is that the Cartier 1895 is harder to re-make? Does the 4-prong cartier setting makes the diamond looks smaller? I have this feeling when I tried out rings at Tiffany & Cartier with the same size stone.

t3

Rough_Rock
I ended up getting a .90ct Tiffany classic solitaire, VVS1, F color.

The Cartier ring's prongs were very large and made the RB diamond look like a princess cut from afar at the carat size I wanted. Whereas the Tiffany prongs were much thinner and delicate (you could barely notice it as they tightly hugged the diamond and didn't stick out), so the diamond looked perfectly round, not square or hexagonal.

Anyway, thank you guys for all the advice and information.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good choice!

The Cartier ring, if one did not know the name brand, is a bit masculine and simple looking. I think the Cartier name gives it more appeal than the actual look of the ring.

The Tiffany with the fluted prongs seems more elegant to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results