shape
carat
color
clarity

Three weird portrait stones--help?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Would you trust a less good report? Vendor offered an AGI report. I mostly want to know 100% that it's a natural diamond (although the zoning looks pretty much identical to many Zimbabwe diamonds).

Same — for the stuff I buy off of Etsy, I only care if it is natural v. lab, and then only for price. I don’t even care about color treatment except for coating. Sometimes if something is really, really cheap, I don’t even care about that. I will buy uncertified if it is a vendor I have used before and trusted. I bring my uncerted Etsy stuff to my local jeweler sometimes and after the same vendor turns out to be reputable, then I don’t worry.

Re the colored diamond, Diamonds By Lauren seems to have reasonable prices and might be able to find what you are looking for. They post here at PS so can’t advertise their own stuff. But you could contact them offline. I have not used them, though.

ETA I love Leibish, their customer service is great, they have a good return policy - I have not used it but others have - their photos are accurate, and when I find the same diamond elsewhere, Leibish are usually a little less expensive.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

And another nice portrait cut:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Nothing at JA. Might pay to send that Leibish image to Simon at B2C and ask if he has something similar. They have a gorgeous rectangular diamond like that but it's 1.49 ct. and 55K.
It seems to me that color and presence are everything with this bottom stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing at JA. Might pay to send that Leibish image to Simon at B2C and ask if he has something similar. They have a gorgeous rectangular diamond like that but it's 1.49 ct. and 55K.
It seems to me that color and presence are everything with this bottom stone.

Yup, I totally agree. I'm definitely putting out feelers for the small stone first. I'll figure out the portrait cut after

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20240122_075047_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20240122_075031_Etsy.jpg

More options. Crazy how expensive these little stones are. 1/3 carat almost 3k, .2 for almost 2k.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More questions for folks like @Rockdiamond @Texas Leaguer

With a stone like this (natural but treated color), do you know what processes are used to change the color? Are they stable enough to be set? Can it "revert" color?

Screenshot_20240122_075350_Etsy.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
More questions for folks like @Rockdiamond @Texas Leaguer

With a stone like this (natural but treated color), do you know what processes are used to change the color? Are they stable enough to be set? Can it "revert" color?

Screenshot_20240122_075350_Etsy.jpg

I'm guessing irradiation. Possibly heat as well. But the vendor should be able to contact GIA for more info on the treatment. They will only release that info to the submitting client.
The treatment is most likely permanent. I think that may be a criteria for GIA issuing a fancy color report, but I am not sure.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing irradiation. Possibly heat as well. But the vendor should be able to contact GIA for more info on the treatment. They will only release that info to the submitting client.
The treatment is most likely permanent. I think that may be a criteria for GIA issuing a fancy color report, but I am not sure.

That's super helpful, thank you! I like this stone but don't want to pay for a temporary treatment.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found my absolute dream stone for underneath. Now I need to figure out if I can stomach the pricing (almost 2k for a stone under .4ct).

It's SO NEON

RN00177_1_60029877-4283-4d90-9303-df3a2b4dbee5.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found my absolute dream stone for underneath. Now I need to figure out if I can stomach the pricing (almost 2k for a stone under .4ct).

It's SO NEON

RN00177_1_60029877-4283-4d90-9303-df3a2b4dbee5.jpg

Well, it surely looks neon, so if that is what you really want and it's the best you've found, then go for it. I guess it matters if you are willing to wait or really want to get this project going now...which it sounds like you do.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it surely looks neon, so if that is what you really want and it's the best you've found, then go for it. I guess it matters if you are willing to wait or really want to get this project going now...which it sounds like you do.

Yeah. My issue is that these crazy neon stones tend to be $$ in general unfortunately.

Another contender
Screenshot_20240122_185124_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240122_185109_Chrome.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Treated stones both mmd and mined can have the color modified by high heat from a torch during repairs.
If you get one be sure and discuss it when having work done.
Them having and using a laser welder is a huge plus for reducing the chance of a shift.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Yeah. My issue is that these crazy neon stones tend to be $$ in general unfortunately.

Another contender
Screenshot_20240122_185124_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240122_185109_Chrome.jpg

Oh crap, I love this! It looks just like my squat little intense yellow EC w/ green fluor from B2C. Dumb thing is 1.17 ct and faces up like a .90. But, but, I wonder if an EC will punch the color and sparkle thru the portrait stone like a radiant or cushion would. rings,Ray 023.jpg rings,Ray 023.jpg rings,Ray 019.jpg rings,Ray 019.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap, I love this! It looks just like my squat little intense yellow EC w/ green fluor from B2C. Dumb thing is 1.17 ct and faces up like a .90. But, but, I wonder if an EC will punch the color and sparkle thru the portrait stone like a radiant or cushion would. rings,Ray 023.jpg rings,Ray 023.jpg rings,Ray 019.jpg rings,Ray 019.jpg

Wow,what an amazing stone! Is it a fancy intense greenish yellow? Or just yellow + green fluor?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Alex's voice was shaking when he called me about it. "It's really sparkly." Thank you so much, lovedogs.
I'm very excited about your portrait with a diamond underneath project. I've wanted to do this but it's not in my playbook. I'm getting huge enjoyment from your process!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

This little stone :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results