shape
carat
color
clarity

Three weird portrait stones--help?

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
The shield portrait cut gives me "I'm a warrior" vibes - not in a bad way at all, but Rosie the Riveter

The original #2 gives another visual element, maybe detracting from the color underneath being the sole focus, but adding to the story. Size and location of the gem under might be more critical there.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shield portrait cut gives me "I'm a warrior" vibes - not in a bad way at all, but Rosie the Riveter

The original #2 gives another visual element, maybe detracting from the color underneath being the sole focus, but adding to the story. Size and location of the gem under might be more critical there.

Thank you! Love these notes on how you interpret them!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color is going under the portrait cut? I would lean towards the portrait cut with the most similar hue or most colorless one.

I"m hoping for an intense yellow that leans green (preferably one of those 'electric' colored yellows that has green fluor).

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I"m hoping for an intense yellow that leans green (preferably one of those 'electric' colored yellows that has green fluor).
Wondering if the portrait diamond would augment or diminish the green fluor of a yellow stone. I have an intense yellow EC with strong green fluor and it's extremely sensitive to daylight. Hoping you'd get something that looks like you plugged it in when you're in the car.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the two recent ones best. From the original 3, I agree with some of the others that #2 would be my choice, but if I could avoid inclusions by going with one of the more recent ones, I would.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wondering if the portrait diamond would augment or diminish the green fluor of a yellow stone. I have an intense yellow EC with strong green fluor and it's extremely sensitive to daylight. Hoping you'd get something that looks like you plugged it in when you're in the car.

Exactly. In that way I wonder about going with a yellow shield vs something more clear (like #2 in the original options, or even a completely clear portrait cut)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha I kind of like that scratched up look. But recognize that it's a weird thing to like. I just feel like it kind of fits the aesfhetic.

That’s cool! It just looked different than the close ups where the brown coloration of the inclusions was more evident. They look white in the distant shot.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I also suggest finding the neon first, I think it'd be a lot easier to choose what goes on top, and harder to find the neon. I wouldn't want to diminish that little baby in any way so I'd vote the clearest whitest top stone!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just discovered misfitdiamonds on Instagram and while they only sell to trade, they list vendors of their products. Lots of portrait cut diamonds and fancy color diamonds. I know nothing about them, but did discover them in my feed.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just discovered misfitdiamonds on Instagram and while they only sell to trade, they list vendors of their products. Lots of portrait cut diamonds and fancy color diamonds. I know nothing about them, but did discover them in my feed.

Their stuff is cool, but insanely priced (at least when I've gone through vendor websites).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops, sorry about that. I wonder if their prices are Australia dollars, not sure.

No worries!

example: this 2.44 Montana sapphire is 3k!
Screenshot_20240115_151144_Chrome.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for trade folks @Rockdiamond @Texas Leaguer

If I were to purchase stone #1 and wanted to get a gia cert, would it be considered a "colored diamond" or "A-Z color"? Asking so I can estimate cost in case I buy and want to keep it

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry to be lazy… but it’s a long thread. Can you please re-post the stone you’re asking about ?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to be lazy… but it’s a long thread. Can you please re-post the stone you’re asking about ?
No worries! This one. It's almost smokey?
Screenshot_20240116_193120_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20240116_193135_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20240116_193112_eBay.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Really tough to predict how GIA will grade such a stone. Is it lab or natural?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If there’s any doubts about the stone it might make sense….
Is it expensive?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's more that if I like it IRL I'd want it certified

Ah...got it.
Many people are of the same mindset- with good reason. There's generally a lot of money at stake.
I guess I'm, a bit jaded....but for me, if money isn't really an issue, I'd save the hassle of GIA.
On the other hand ( I'm a Gemini, so I can change my mind, k?)
Personally, I would no longer consider any natural diamond purchase unless it's a well-trusted, long-term supplier- or there's a GIA report.
But that's colored by the fact my reputation is on the line. If I say it's natural, I have to make sure I can back it up.

So- for you, oh lover of canines...........maybe yes, maybe no.
I bet they get you for the $159 report though......

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah...got it.
Many people are of the same mindset- with good reason. There's generally a lot of money at stake.
I guess I'm, a bit jaded....but for me, if money isn't really an issue, I'd save the hassle of GIA.
On the other hand ( I'm a Gemini, so I can change my mind, k?)
Personally, I would no longer consider any natural diamond purchase unless it's a well-trusted, long-term supplier- or there's a GIA report.
But that's colored by the fact my reputation is on the line. If I say it's natural, I have to make sure I can back it up.

So- for you, oh lover of canines...........maybe yes, maybe no.
I bet they get you for the $159 report though......

Would you trust a less good report? Vendor offered an AGI report. I mostly want to know 100% that it's a natural diamond (although the zoning looks pretty much identical to many Zimbabwe diamonds).

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Question for trade folks @Rockdiamond @Texas Leaguer

If I were to purchase stone #1 and wanted to get a gia cert, would it be considered a "colored diamond" or "A-Z color"? Asking so I can estimate cost in case I buy and want to keep it

Not sure if it would be graded as a fancy by GIA. If you are only looking for assurance that it is a natural diamond, maybe consider IGI.

My impression, if I am understanding what you ultimately want to do with it, is that you need a very transparent portrait stone.
I would consider going with a clear quartz (or one with some rutile needles or dendrites off to the side if you want to add interest. I am sure you can find a cutter to make one in the size and shape you want. Probably have to recut an existing stone to control the outcome. But it should be affordable and may better fit the ultimate goal.

I also agree with others that finding the killer small fancy color diamond first is probably the way to go. That neon yellow green is awesome if you can find it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results