shape
carat
color
clarity

Three weird portrait stones--help?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back with questions about my "diamond under diamond" ring!

Found 3 options of portrait cut stones. 2 are diamond, the other is sapphire.

Inspiration ring is here (just acting as inspo for "stone under stone" I won't copy anything else about the design).

Screenshot_20240110_094901_Chrome.jpg

Here are the options:

1. Portrait rose cut diamond with super cool color zoning
Screenshot_20240116_193120_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240116_193112_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240116_193135_eBay.jpg

Option 2:
Another diamond with cool inclusion pattern
Screenshot_20240115_074606_Etsy.jpg

Option 3:
Sapphire with cool 'line' needle inclusions
Screenshot_20240116_193203_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240116_193214_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240116_193237_Chrome.jpg

I know none of these are "conventional" choices, but which would folks here choose? The sapphire is the largest and cheapest, but none are over budget.

The look I'm going for is the most neon possible tiny diamond under the portrait cut. The piece to me will symbolize a phoenix/rebirth, but not sure how ill bring that aesthetic into the design.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need the most window-clear one. I worry that the gray tint in #1 or the yellow-brown tint in #3 will mask the neon color underneath. I can not tell about the color in #2. The one closest to a true "window" would be the "clear" winner for me -- akin to your inspo photo.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need the most window-clear one. I worry that the gray tint in #1 or the yellow-brown tint in #3 will mask the neon color underneath. I can not tell about the color in #2. The one closest to a true "window" would be the "clear" winner for me -- akin to your inspo photo.

I think the clearest one is definitely 2

dvj

Shiny_Rock
I like the first diamond best, but I agree probably you want as little color as possible for the neon stone underneath to pop.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm back with questions about my "diamond under diamond" ring!

Found 3 options of portrait cut stones. 2 are diamond, the other is sapphire.

Inspiration ring is here (just acting as inspo for "stone under stone" I won't copy anything else about the design).

Screenshot_20240110_094901_Chrome.jpg

Here are the options:

1. Portrait rose cut diamond with super cool color zoning
Screenshot_20240116_193120_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240116_193112_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240116_193135_eBay.jpg

Option 2:
Another diamond with cool inclusion pattern
Screenshot_20240115_074606_Etsy.jpg

Option 3:
Sapphire with cool 'line' needle inclusions
Screenshot_20240116_193203_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240116_193214_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240116_193237_Chrome.jpg

I know none of these are "conventional" choices, but which would folks here choose? The sapphire is the largest and cheapest, but none are over budget.

The look I'm going for is the most neon possible tiny diamond under the portrait cut. The piece to me will symbolize a phoenix/rebirth, but not sure how ill bring that aesthetic into the design.

oh wow i love option 2

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am liking option 2 as well. The inclusions add an interesting accent and I can see the under gem centered on the clear area, off-center relative to the whole piece.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Those are all very cool. In my 'rock collector' mode, I find #1 fascinating. Thinking of the cubic symmetry, does the whitish area have a 'vertical' ray as well? If not, why not?

But for your purpose, I'd prefer #2. As you and others have said, it's the clearest. Also, if you are thinking of a phoenix, you could easily imagine the inclusions as the fire.

A possible problem: in the pic on the finger, I can't see the fingerprint ridges under the stone. But this may be caused by the lighting, not a lack of clarity. Maybe you could ask for picture with the stone held over some print or similar.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are all very cool. In my 'rock collector' mode, I find #1 fascinating. Thinking of the cubic symmetry, does the whitish area have a 'vertical' ray as well? If not, why not?

But for your purpose, I'd prefer #2. As you and others have said, it's the clearest. Also, if you are thinking of a phoenix, you could easily imagine the inclusions as the fire.

A possible problem: in the pic on the finger, I can't see the fingerprint ridges under the stone. But this may be caused by the lighting, not a lack of clarity. Maybe you could ask for picture with the stone held over some print or similar.

Actually,looking closer I think the "smudges" are the fingerprint ridges + moisture. But good idea to ask

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
these portrait cuts seem very Victorian to me, in those days i bleave they used to find it very exotic to see skin through the table
i just love the idea of a gem hiding underneath

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I vote #2 as well. The inclusion pattern just draws me in. And I fully agree with this:

Also, if you are thinking of a phoenix, you could easily imagine the inclusions as the fire.

#1 doesn’t do anything for me. #3 is cool with the needles, but not as cool as #2.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it cost prohibitive for you to play with these three in person?

I think directional clarity /obscurity toggling might actually could be a plus in a way?
But how clear is clear, I think is hard to tell in the photos.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got more pics of 2

definitely leaning towards it at this point.

Something about #1 is making me hesitate. It's just so weird and the zone pattern appeals to me, but I'm afraid the darker color won't allow the bright diamond Underneath to show through.

@Rfisher I would, but 2 of the 3 stones are international vendors, and I just can't deal with international returns right now. Too annoying and the risk of it not getting there.

#1 is in the US so tjats the only one i could buy to see IRL and be confident in a potential return.

Screenshot_20240116_222520_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20240116_222526_Etsy.jpg

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I think option 1, you won't see any sparkle from the diamond below at all (is that what you are hoping for though?)
I vote option 2 for sure, super cool shape, the inclusions are super cool too, and it's very clear.
Option 3 I think will dull whatever is below it as well. I definitely vote option 2!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think option 1, you won't see any sparkle from the diamond below at all (is that what you are hoping for though?)
I vote option 2 for sure, super cool shape, the inclusions are super cool too, and it's very clear.
Option 3 I think will dull whatever is below it as well. I definitely vote option 2!

I definitely want to see the color of the diamond below (sparkle would be a benefit, but not a strict necessity). That's too bad, but I think you're probably right. I just love the zoning shape of 1 and it's so unique.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm in the hand shot of option 2 the inclusions are not very apparent and maybe just look like scratches or cracks. Probably not the look you are after!

The one lala posted is really appealing to me though!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm in the hand shot of option 2 the inclusions are not very apparent and maybe just look like scratches or cracks. Probably not the look you are after!

Haha I kind of like that scratched up look. But recognize that it's a weird thing to like. I just feel like it kind of fits the aesfhetic.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of #1. IMHO once set, it might be near-opaque.

I saw you are open to sapphire and IIRC also posted about trying to find a portrait cut in LGD. What about choosing the designer and letting them source the portrait cut?

Another option, if you are open to synthetics, is moissanite.

Fun project!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 reminds me of the foliate aesthetic of dendritic agate. It would add some visual interest but if you want the diamond to be the only focal point and not a supporting role, then one of the clearer diamonds would probably be best.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results