shape
carat
color
clarity

Three stone help

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Posting again because I’m indecisive. I posted about a 5 stone a couple of weeks ago but now I’m leaning toward doing a 3 stone. I want to create a RHR with my original engagement diamond front and center. I feel like a 5 stone wall of bling on my RH might be a bit much with my new E-ring to do all at once and I’ve fallen in love with the look of the 3 stone I will link here.

My diamond is a .78 and measures 5.5 mm - 5.7 mm.
I’m thinking between .25 and .45 ct sides but I’m not sure what would look best. I wear a 6.5.

my other dilemma is that I love 6 prong from the top view but 4 prong from the side view because you can see more of the diamond from the side. My husband and I used to love to look at the diamond from the side when it was a solitaire.

I love love love the entire look of this ring posted by another PSer. What would you do? Leave it 6 prong, do 4, something different? Also, what size side stones? I think .25 proportions would look good but .4 would give more finger coverage!

41364A29-8AA8-4D33-B436-EA86B28010FA.jpeg 6C215F5B-FE35-40BA-BCDA-02EFE05E4846.jpeg 7D45A07E-ECD6-41C8-B90B-088C8CB260C5.jpeg 6DDEF789-017A-4F1F-B967-960F40FC39B6.jpeg

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Can you find the measurements of the above ring?

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Can you find the measurements of the above ring?

Yes! There is a PS post with all of the stats. The center is .8 but I don’t know how many mm. The sides are .2. I feel like I may want to go bigger on the sides though because her finger size is a 4.75 I think which is much smaller than mine and I think I’ll want more finger coverage. The original owner of this ring sold it so I can’t ask her to measure them face up.

Jadeite_101

Shiny_Rock
Hi this is a three stone ring I designed for my mom.
6E5AA110-F4C2-40E1-AFDF-E332899782D7.jpeg FB940EDD-BB79-4571-942F-6C8B12A49D05.jpeg
Specs are:
Center stone- .71
Both Side Stones- .50 each
Four prong 14k white gold setting
Size 6.5

Is it the look you’re wondering about. I think it’ll look similar to this ring given the relatively near carat size.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! There is a PS post with all of the stats. The center is .8 but I don’t know how many mm. The sides are .2. I feel like I may want to go bigger on the sides though because her finger size is a 4.75 I think which is much smaller than mine and I think I’ll want more finger coverage. The original owner of this ring sold it so I can’t ask her to measure them face up.

Thanks @Halogirl1130 !

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Posting again because I’m indecisive. I posted about a 5 stone a couple of weeks ago but now I’m leaning toward doing a 3 stone. I want to create a RHR with my original engagement diamond front and center. I feel like a 5 stone wall of bling on my RH might be a bit much with my new E-ring to do all at once and I’ve fallen in love with the look of the 3 stone I will link here.

My diamond is a .78 and measures 5.5 mm - 5.7 mm.
I’m thinking between .25 and .45 ct sides but I’m not sure what would look best. I wear a 6.5.

my other dilemma is that I love 6 prong from the top view but 4 prong from the side view because you can see more of the diamond from the side. My husband and I used to love to look at the diamond from the side when it was a solitaire.

I love love love the entire look of this ring posted by another PSer. What would you do? Leave it 6 prong, do 4, something different? Also, what size side stones? I think .25 proportions would look good but .4 would give more finger coverage!

41364A29-8AA8-4D33-B436-EA86B28010FA.jpeg 6C215F5B-FE35-40BA-BCDA-02EFE05E4846.jpeg 7D45A07E-ECD6-41C8-B90B-088C8CB260C5.jpeg 6DDEF789-017A-4F1F-B967-960F40FC39B6.jpeg

Oh I LOVE this ring and setting! And I'm similar to you - love the 6 prong from the top and 4 prong from the side. Do we know more about this ring and whose it is? It's beautiful :kiss2:

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Oh I LOVE this ring and setting! And I'm similar to you - love the 6 prong from the top and 4 prong from the side. Do we know more about this ring and whose it is? It's beautiful :kiss2:

Here is a link to the original post about it! I think it’s been bought and sold twice since then though but I could be wrong!

I know! I don’t know what to do about 4 vs 6 prongs!!

Hi this is a three stone ring I designed for my mom.
6E5AA110-F4C2-40E1-AFDF-E332899782D7.jpeg FB940EDD-BB79-4571-942F-6C8B12A49D05.jpeg
Specs are:
Center stone- .71
Both Side Stones- .50 each
Four prong 14k white gold setting
Size 6.5

Is it the look you’re wondering about. I think it’ll look similar to this ring given the relatively near carat size.

Ah this is great. Thank you for posting pictures! I need to see different sizes together to see what I want! Do you happen to have any hand shots?

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Here is a three stone with a ruby center that I have. The ruby is around 6mm and the sides are about .25 cts and around 4mm. Posting to show the proportions on my finger.

8FF6E9B4-3BF8-4C7A-8832-37A879DF0AFB.jpeg A97F37CC-4954-4CEC-B5A8-0314C860CAAB.jpeg

Last edited:

BSP2019

Rough_Rock
Ohh this is gorgeous. I think the size of the side stones depends on the look you’re going for. If you want them to make your center stone pop more, I would say .25 or smaller. If you want them to look balanced and kind of make all three stones the focal point, then I would say .4.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Ohh this is gorgeous. I think the size of the side stones depends on the look you’re going for. If you want them to make your center stone pop more, I would say .25 or smaller. If you want them to look balanced and kind of make all three stones the focal point, then I would say .4.

I’m leaning toward doing .4 and having the whole ring he the focal. It’s a RHR and I think I prefer the look of having bigger sides!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a pretty old pic of my first engagement ring before my upgrade, but it hopefully gives you an idea of proportions. It was a .70ct with a.35ct on either side, on a size 6 finger. I'm personally not a fan of smaller side stones, I much prefer each side to be at least half the carat weight of the centre. So I'd say .40s would be perfect.

TennisBletNo1.jpg

Last edited:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I love 3 stone! I also like when the sides are slightly angled and not straight across with the center stone. But that’s personal preference.

I also prefer 4 prong with a 3 stone ring.

GL! Fun project to work on.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
This is a pretty old pic of my first engagement ring before my upgrade, but it hopefully gives you an idea of proportions. It was a .70ct with a.35ct on either side, on a size 6 finger. I'm personally not a fan of smaller side stones, I much prefer each side to be at least half the carat weight of the centre. So I'd say .40s would be perfect.

TennisBletNo1.jpg

I agree. I’ve looked at every three stone post on Pricescope and I think I prefer larger side stones unless the center is HUGE and even then I prefer sides that are larger. I love your 3 stone and now 5 stone!!! I think this is the first hand shot I’ve seen from when it was 3! Beautiful!
I love 3 stone! I also like when the sides are slightly angled and not straight across with the center stone. But that’s personal preference.

I also prefer 4 prong with a 3 stone ring.

GL! Fun project to work on.

Yes I’m excited! I do want them angled, I think the ring I posted has them angled? I am having a really hard time with 4 vs 6.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock

TennisBletNo1.jpg

I do love your proportions. Do you know how many mm your center is? Mine is small for the carat wait I thought it was. I’m wondering if my hubby accidentally told me the wrong thing when we got engaged hahaha. It’s supposed to be .78 but it’s 5.5-5.7 mm.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. I’ve looked at every three stone post on Pricescope and I think I prefer larger side stones unless the center is HUGE and even then I prefer sides that are larger. I love your 3 stone and now 5 stone!!! I think this is the first hand shot I’ve seen from when it was 3! Beautiful!

Yes I’m excited! I do want them angled, I think the ring I posted has them angled? I am having a really hard time with 4 vs 6.

The beauty you shared in your OP looked angled, yes.

MsCocoChanel

Rough_Rock
Personally, I prefer a 4 prong for a 3 stone setting. I think the extra metal in 6 prongs can overwhelm and detract from the center and side stones unless the prongs are super delicate. The size of side stones is a definitely a matter of taste and the style you prefer. If it’s being made as a RHR I would go ahead with larger 0.4 ct stones as a 3 stone tapered looks more like an engagement setting IMO.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I prefer a 4 prong for a 3 stone setting. I think the extra metal in 6 prongs can overwhelm and detract from the center and side stones unless the prongs are super delicate. The size of side stones is a definitely a matter of taste and the style you prefer. If it’s being made as a RHR I would go ahead with larger 0.4 ct stones as a 3 stone tapered looks more like an engagement setting IMO.

Yes I plan to do larger side stones around .4, maybe even larger!

The setting I posted has 6 prongs and I feel they’re pretty delicate. I would have 3-4 prongs for side stones. I’d like 3 but I would need to ask DK if 3 would work for larger side stones (the stones in the pic are .2).

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love your proportions. Do you know how many mm your center is? Mine is small for the carat wait I thought it was. I’m wondering if my hubby accidentally told me the wrong thing when we got engaged hahaha. It’s supposed to be .78 but it’s 5.5-5.7 mm.

The stones were 4.61mm, 5.73mm and 4.63mm. Hope that helps!

Kh0117

Rough_Rock
I love this 3 stone so much that I contacted DK to get mine redone. I was surprised with his quote. I thought it was going to be a lot more! I did mention to him that I want to tweak the number of prongs also.

Have you decided on your setting or started the process? I’m currently deciding on a center stone to upgrade to and will hopefully get started soon!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a visual of different sized side stones. It's just proportions - the sides are x % of the size of the center. You can easily do the math and figure out what diameter sides you need once you decide what proportion appeals to you. 3 stone ring proportions x1b.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results