shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this wedding jewelry idea?

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Ok, not even engaged yet (waiting for my divorce to come through before we get engaged officially), but, the date is set for June 2022 (our 3 year dating anniversary happens to fall on a Saturday that year, so it feels like it is meant to be lol).

So I am thinking ahead massively, but would like thoughts on this idea: my birthstone is sapphire, OH's is emerald, and June is pearl; and I like the idea of incorporating all 3 into a piece of jewelry for each of us.

For me I am thinking a thin yellow gold chain, with 5 tiny (0.1-0.2ct ish) stones hanging from it (white sapphire; emerald; pearl; emerald; white sapphire): a bit like this:

Screenshot_20200620-233026.png

Then for my OH, I want to get cufflinks. But they are SO expensive if they come set with stones/if you get them custom made (seeing prices of around £1500). If I bought plain solid gold cufflinks second hand, could I get tiny stones set in do you think?

Ideally I am looking at £500-600 per piece; is this achievable for what I want?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having anything made is expensive because time is money.
I think you could construct a necklace yourself.
You could buy small emerald and white Sapphire Bead gemstones (or blue - remember the saying old, something new, something blue ) and loose pearls (I have a stack of them) and attach them using jump links or wire to a belcher link chain.
The cuff links are more challenging. I think you could get a jeweller to set wee gemstones into a pair of gold cuff links (setting wee gems is usually done by creating a hole and “burring up” the edges to make “prongs“. That can’t really be done with pearls though due to their round shape, My other idea there would be using jewellery clay and putting gems into a chosen shape of the clay and attaching that to the flat face of cuff links.
I’ll rummage around and repost with some photos to show you what I mean.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Having anything made is expensive because time is money.
I think you could construct a necklace yourself.
You could buy small emerald and white Sapphire Bead gemstones (or blue - remember the saying old, something new, something blue ) and loose pearls (I have a stack of them) and attach them using jump links or wire to a belcher link chain.
The cuff links are more challenging. I think you could get a jeweller to set wee gemstones into a pair of gold cuff links (setting wee gems is usually done by creating a hole and “burring up” the edges to make “prongs“. That can’t really be done with pearls though due to their round shape, My other idea there would be using jewellery clay and putting gems into a chosen shape of the clay and attaching that to the flat face of cuff links.
I’ll rummage around and repost with some photos to show you what I mean.

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. I'm not sure I would trust myself to attempt this alone; I want a delicate/dainty look, and something I can keep for years to come, so don't mind paying more to go professional.

Re the cufflinks, was wondering if the stones could be set in gold and then soldered? But not sure if this would work.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Sounds a beautiful and touching idea
congradulations on your upcoming nuptials
This is a great fun way to pass the time while you wait for your divorce

Thanks :) I know we have a while to go, but we are looking at an overall budget of £12-14k (which is kinda tiny: my first wedding cost pushing £30k), so want to get some ideas and quotes so I can factor it in.

I would prefer to spend money on stuff that lasts where possible ie wedding day jewellery, shoes, and groom's suit come way above stuff like flowers and stationery for me

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results