shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this round 2.01 HVS2

Eric33w

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, new to the forum. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this stone. Is it closer to the bottom or top of the "very good" cut range? GIA cert is attached
Thanks

Attachments

• _132.pdf
    726.5 KB · Views: 89

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! :wavey: GIA cut grades are very broad so we only recommend considering stones that are given an Excellent cut grade (Very Good is not very good at all). Within the Excellent cut grade, we further recommend staying within the following parameters (even then do we recommend getting ASET/Ideal Scope images to confirm light performance):

table: 54-58
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

The stone you are inquiring about is way too deep so the stone is facing up smaller for its weight and the crown angle is way too high.

What is your budget and desired specs? We can then recommend some stones.

Eric33w

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I was worried about the face up size. Pretty much all of the 2 carats I've seen were over 8x8. They are selling that one for $20,400. I had it side by side next to a 1.71 XXX and it seemed to perform very closely under different lighting conditions. Is it still possible to have a nice sparkle if it's cut too deep?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Eric33w

Rough_Rock
Yea I had them both outside in the sun and I was pretty impressed with the sparkle even compared to the triple excellent. I've just been hesitant to buy online because even if you look at the cert, you can never really tell until it's in your hand. Do you think there is a visible, physical difference to the naked eye between 7.91-7.95 vs 8.01-8.07?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do understand your concern about buying online, but our PS recommended vendors are recommended for a reason! You do get what you pay for. With in house stones from Whiteflash (ACA and most ES line), Brian Gavin (Signature), GOG (Ascendancy), Victor Canera (H&A), HPD (CBI), you can rest assured you are buying a top performing stone!

There are other vendors that we also recommend that require a bit more work to go through the stones/specs yourself (James Allen, Enchanted Diamonds, Blue Nile, etc.) but people here could help you with that so you aren't paying for the "brand" of the names listed above.

IDJ also comes to mind to find you what you need in your desired budget and can provide all of the images to be sure it's a superior stone.

Where are you located?

I'm fairly sensitive to small differences in color and size, but the difference in surface area between the two stones is about 3% so it would probably be hard for most people to tell! Here's a visual... eta: 2.01 is on the left and the 1.967 is on the right

_1240.png

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Eric33w|1466707538|4047200 said:
Yea I had them both outside in the sun and I was pretty impressed with the sparkle even compared to the triple excellent. I've just been hesitant to buy online because even if you look at the cert, you can never really tell until it's in your hand. Do you think there is a visible, physical difference to the naked eye between 7.91-7.95 vs 8.01-8.07?
Eric, the issue here isn't whether a 8mm stone will be visibly larger than a 7.9mm, but the fact that the 2.01 H VS2 stone, though it sparkles, is not a well cut stone. If you view the 2.01 H VS2 side by side with another stone that fits within the recommended parameters posted earlier, you WILL see a visual difference in performance.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks too deep. A well cut 2ct should be closer to 8.10mm in diameter.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1466813187|4047859 said:
Looks too deep. A well cut 2ct should be closer to 8.10mm in diameter.

+1. I wouldn't consider a 2 ct that was under 8.1mm minimum. Much better to buy a larger and better cut 1.96!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results