shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond

Bob138754

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I purchased a diamond yesterday from a b&m store and wanted to know your thoughts on it. Most of the stores in my area had a very limited selection of GIA/AGS graded stones, but I did find one that looked nice in person. After I purchased the stone I noticed it had a larger table than most of the ranges listed for an excellent cut. I have not picked up the ring yet, so I do not have any pictures.

Below are the stats on the diamond I selected. I had it set in a platinum solitaire setting.

GIA graded
1.02 carat
Round Brilliant
6.56 - 6.57 x 3.91 mm
Cut/Polish/Symmetry = excellent
Color = H
Clarity = VS2
Table size 60%
Star Length 55%
Crown Height 13%
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Total Depth 59.6%
Crown Angle 33 degrees
Pavilion Angle 41 degrees
Lower half length 80%
Girdle = Thin - Medium 3.5%
Cutlet none/pointed
Fluorescence none
Almost all of the inclusions were concentrated on one facet which included a small crystal, small feather. There were also some pinpoints throughout the diamond and I was unable to see any of the inclusions when I looked for them even when I took the diamond outside the store to look at it in sunlight. I was able to see them under the microscope and they appeared to be mapped correctly.

When I put the measurements into the HCA calculator I received the below results

Total visual performance = 1.3
Light Return = Excellent
Fire = Excellent
Scintillation = Very Good
Spread = Excellent

It was also registered with gem print and received
Light Return = Excellent
Symmetry = Excellent
Scintillation = Excellent

I was just a little concerned that some of the measurements were outside the ideal angles/measurements to look for, but I think there are different combinations that work? I have 30 days to return for a full refund if I chose.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Buying a ring ended up being a much more time consuming process that I originally anticipated, but I tried to research online as much as I could.

Thanks,
Bob

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a 60/60 stone but the crown angle is a bit too low and the pavilion angle of 41 is prone to light leakage. As a result of the low crown angle, you will be sacrificing fire and colored light return for white light return. If you really like this diamond, I suggest requesting an ideal scope/ASET images before they set the diamond to verify the light performance.

I guess to me it would also depend on price. How much did they charge you?

Bob138754

Rough_Rock
They do not have an ideal scope/ ASET to scan the diamond. The diamond was $8,000. I looked at several places and that seemed to be the price range most of the B&M stores in the area were charging for diamonds. I should have maybe purchased online, but I still believe a diamond needs to be seen in person to make a decision.

It did seem to be a bright diamond. I'm not sure if there is a way to determine light leakage without having an idealscope/ASET image?

Thanks for your help!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, there isn't. But if you like, that's what matters. You did overpay....you could get a super ideal cut diamond with top notch light performance for that price:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3711789.htm

We could more than likely find you a GIA XXX stone with the same specs for $6-7k. But that's only if you're comfortable buying online. The best prices are online....b&m stores charge a premium bc they have overhead and they almost always don't use the same criteria pricescopers do. A lot of our recommend online vendors have excellent return policies, too!

Eta: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.04-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1917068 JA also has free shipping and free returns within 30 days. You save quite a bit and you can get $100 off with a referral discount.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results