shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond

Bob138754

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I purchased a diamond yesterday from a b&m store and wanted to know your thoughts on it. Most of the stores in my area had a very limited selection of GIA/AGS graded stones, but I did find one that looked nice in person. After I purchased the stone I noticed it had a larger table than most of the ranges listed for an excellent cut. I have not picked up the ring yet, so I do not have any pictures.

Below are the stats on the diamond I selected. I had it set in a platinum solitaire setting.

GIA graded
1.02 carat
Round Brilliant
6.56 - 6.57 x 3.91 mm
Cut/Polish/Symmetry = excellent
Color = H
Clarity = VS2
Table size 60%
Star Length 55%
Crown Height 13%
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Total Depth 59.6%
Crown Angle 33 degrees
Pavilion Angle 41 degrees
Lower half length 80%
Girdle = Thin - Medium 3.5%
Cutlet none/pointed
Fluorescence none
Almost all of the inclusions were concentrated on one facet which included a small crystal, small feather. There were also some pinpoints throughout the diamond and I was unable to see any of the inclusions when I looked for them even when I took the diamond outside the store to look at it in sunlight. I was able to see them under the microscope and they appeared to be mapped correctly.

When I put the measurements into the HCA calculator I received the below results

Total visual performance = 1.3
Light Return = Excellent
Fire = Excellent
Scintillation = Very Good
Spread = Excellent

It was also registered with gem print and received
Light Return = Excellent
Symmetry = Excellent
Scintillation = Excellent

I was just a little concerned that some of the measurements were outside the ideal angles/measurements to look for, but I think there are different combinations that work? I have 30 days to return for a full refund if I chose.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Buying a ring ended up being a much more time consuming process that I originally anticipated, but I tried to research online as much as I could.

Thanks,
Bob

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a 60/60 stone but the crown angle is a bit too low and the pavilion angle of 41 is prone to light leakage. As a result of the low crown angle, you will be sacrificing fire and colored light return for white light return. If you really like this diamond, I suggest requesting an ideal scope/ASET images before they set the diamond to verify the light performance.

I guess to me it would also depend on price. How much did they charge you?

Bob138754

Rough_Rock
They do not have an ideal scope/ ASET to scan the diamond. The diamond was $8,000. I looked at several places and that seemed to be the price range most of the B&M stores in the area were charging for diamonds. I should have maybe purchased online, but I still believe a diamond needs to be seen in person to make a decision.

It did seem to be a bright diamond. I'm not sure if there is a way to determine light leakage without having an idealscope/ASET image?

Thanks for your help!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, there isn't. But if you like, that's what matters. You did overpay....you could get a super ideal cut diamond with top notch light performance for that price:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3711789.htm

We could more than likely find you a GIA XXX stone with the same specs for $6-7k. But that's only if you're comfortable buying online. The best prices are online....b&m stores charge a premium bc they have overhead and they almost always don't use the same criteria pricescopers do. A lot of our recommend online vendors have excellent return policies, too!

Eta: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.04-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1917068 JA also has free shipping and free returns within 30 days. You save quite a bit and you can get $100 off with a referral discount.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Guess What: Dispersion and Fire Aren't the Same Thing
    Men In Pearls
    Men In Pearls
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti

Need expert help finding that diamonds?

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.