shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond (New to this)

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the 0.78 G VS1 the best of the 3.

That was my thinking too. At least I have the IS for that stone (Which looks decent) and the AGS light report, which also is pretty darn good. Not an ACA, but in everyday settings I don't think it would make much difference. :) Probably could only tell if comparing them next to each other with a spotlight.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I put on nitrile gloves all the time with prong set rings. Never had a problem. But if she likes the bezel, go for it. The stone is very nice, I'm sure she'll love it.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well I put on nitrile gloves all the time with prong set rings. Never had a problem. But if she likes the bezel, go for it. The stone is very nice, I'm sure she'll love it.

Thanks for your input doberman. I'm sure it depends on the prongs (the tiffany-style prongs that lay flat against the stone may be better) but I wanted to go with a bezel just to be safe. :)

What line of work do you wear nitrile gloves? Scientist? Medicine?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input doberman. I'm sure it depends on the prongs (the tiffany-style prongs that lay flat against the stone may be better) but I wanted to go with a bezel just to be safe. :)

What line of work do you wear nitrile gloves? Scientist? Medicine?

Wound care. Not for sensitive stomachs lol. My nitrile gloves were pink ;-)

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Possibly a solution to your WF problem would be they ship to a FedEx location near your friend and then you can pick it up with a passport / ID.

I'm in the UK so unfamiliar with the process but certainly I've read about others doing so and know for a fact JA ship to FedEx

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would WF set the diamond into the JA setting? If so, you can buy the the setting have JA mail to WF. Then, they can set the WF diamond. Shipping wise, could you wire the funds to your friend and have him pay for the whole thing? My only question would be if the warranties/upgrades are transfeerable to you. I seem to recall that someone bought a preowner WF ACA and they honored the upgrade, but ask.

Did you see these two?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-h-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-3824005. Great IS and H&A. {on right}
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...at-g-color-vvs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-4284783 {on left}

Assuming size 6.5

upload_2018-1-20_8-8-1.png

Joseph Schubach makes a very pretty bezel called the "Boston Bezel" and last I checked they will set outside diamonds.
http://shopping.schubachstore.com/S...-Engagement-Ring-With-Leaf-Under-Bezel-Design

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank's TreeGal, that's a really beautiful ring. However, I still really like the JA bezel setting.

Unfortunately, while the settings at WF are beautiful, it looks like I won't be able to order from them. I'm having the ring shipped to a friend of mine to help with the surprise engagement, but WF won't ship to friends. :( Oh well.
Oh the two, I'm leaning more towards the G stone (I like the slightly higher CA and lower PA combo). What do you think?

Really??? Whiteflash allow me to ship to anyone I please. I just need to sign the FEDEX authority to release waiver. I actually also and put both my name and the name of the receiver on the address label :) I would ask again.

Or you can also ask them to hold at the depot and pick it up there. I’ve had to ring FedEx after shopping to confirm they do that though as sometimes the instruction slips up at the local level

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would WF set the diamond into the JA setting? If so, you can buy the the setting have JA mail to WF. Then, they can set the WF diamond. Shipping wise, could you wire the funds to your friend and have him pay for the whole thing? My only question would be if the warranties/upgrades are transfeerable to you. I seem to recall that someone bought a preowner WF ACA and they honored the upgrade, but ask.

Did you see these two?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-h-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-3824005. Great IS and H&A. {on right}
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...at-g-color-vvs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-4284783 {on left}

Assuming size 6.5

upload_2018-1-20_8-8-1.png

Joseph Schubach makes a very pretty bezel called the "Boston Bezel" and last I checked they will set outside diamonds.
http://shopping.schubachstore.com/S...-Engagement-Ring-With-Leaf-Under-Bezel-Design

Thanks for all the info again everyone. I did look into having my friend pay for it and then sending him the money in a wire, but ultimately I decided against it because 1.) Would be a insurance and warranty hassle and 2.) I really wanted those 4500 points on my Chase Sapphire Preferred card! :D (Silly I know, but that's a lot of rewards points to use for airline miles!) Also, after thinking about it, the WF stone is $300 more than the one I selected from JA, and the bezel setting at WF would also be $330 more (they quoted me $1220 for a platinum bezel as opposed to $890 at JA after the $100-off coupon), so in total that would be $630 more. Not a small chunk of change.

Thanks for the other suggestions from JA. I like the second stone (other than the small table, which I'm not a fan of), but I decided to stick with the 0.78 G VS1 True Hearts I posted earlier. I like all of the proportions and there's just something about it that draws me. :)

So this is going to be my final ring:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-bezel-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53652
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-g-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-4284779

Total price: $4490 (right under my original $4500 budget I set for myself :) )

Big thanks to everyone on this forum for your help. I've learned a lot through lurking for the past month, and especially through the back and forth in this thread over the past week. I look forward to contributing to this community by helping other newcomers seeking advice, and I'll certainly post pictures of the ring once I receive it!

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Its going to be lovely. Don't forget to post pics!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to post an update here, and fully recommend JA for their customer service. Right after I placed an order for my stone, the market price for it dropped by $60 (apparently it happened right after I placed the initial purchase, so it didn't register in the system when my card was charged). They contacted me and refunded me the difference without question.

Then, this past Monday (I placed my order last Saturday) JA started their 25% off settings sale. When I was confirming the payment information on their site, I saw the banner and asked the representative if they could refund me the difference between the original $100 off coupon I used and this new sale. Again, they refunded me the $150 difference (my setting was $1000) without question.

So the diamond + setting dropped down to $4280 with these additional changes. Now I'm even more assured in my decision to go with the James Allen diamond + setting. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but good things to say about WhiteFlash as well, as their support staff was also excellent and responsive. However, I would really have a hard time justifying the $1000 price difference ($400 for the diamond and what now became $600 for the setting) for the marginal differences in cut between the ACA stone I was looking at and the True Hearts stone I ended up with.

I'll definitely post pictures of the ring once it arrives. I just got the update that it is now "in production." Getting excited to see it now! =)2

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be a beautiful ring and the diamond is gorgeous! Awesome that you were able to get additional savings!

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would really have a hard time justifying the $1000 price difference ($400 for the diamond and what now became $600 for the setting) for the marginal differences in cut between the ACA stone I was looking at and the True Hearts stone I ended up with.

Wholeheartedly greed! Great job. I can’t wait to see it.:dance:

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to post an update here, and fully recommend JA for their customer service. Right after I placed an order for my stone, the market price for it dropped by $60 (apparently it happened right after I placed the initial purchase, so it didn't register in the system when my card was charged). They contacted me and refunded me the difference without question.

Then, this past Monday (I placed my order last Saturday) JA started their 25% off settings sale. When I was confirming the payment information on their site, I saw the banner and asked the representative if they could refund me the difference between the original $100 off coupon I used and this new sale. Again, they refunded me the $150 difference (my setting was $1000) without question.

So the diamond + setting dropped down to $4280 with these additional changes. Now I'm even more assured in my decision to go with the James Allen diamond + setting. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but good things to say about WhiteFlash as well, as their support staff was also excellent and responsive. However, I would really have a hard time justifying the $1000 price difference ($400 for the diamond and what now became $600 for the setting) for the marginal differences in cut between the ACA stone I was looking at and the True Hearts stone I ended up with.

I'll definitely post pictures of the ring once it arrives. I just got the update that it is now "in production." Getting excited to see it now! =)2

This sounds so awesome! Congrats and can’t wait to see pics!!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I came into this experience knowing practically nothing about diamonds other than that they were clear and sparkly, and with a few tidbits of information that I had extracted from my girlfriend regarding her preferences (even getting this from her without giving away my intensions was like pulling teeth :D ):

1. Platinum solitaire setting without prongs
2. A (real) diamond. Round. Not too big. But nice.
3. A pair of diamond stud earrings as well

Needless to say, that leaves a lot of room for interpretation regarding which diamond to choose. At the recommendation of a few friends, I decided that I would buy online to save money, but that left me feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices out there (James Allen has 100,000 diamonds listed alone!) I figured that I would turn to the internet for advice, so I Googled “diamond help forums” and up popped Pricescope. J

I set aside about $7000 for the engagement jewelry (Ring and earrings). My girlfriend’s family is Vietnamese, and in their culture they usually do earrings instead of an E-ring for the engagement ceremony (Tea Ceremony). So lucky me, I got to do both!... :D My plan was to allocate $4500 to the ring and $2500 to the earrings.

After educating myself on the forums for a few weeks regarding cut, I started this thread to check on a diamond that I had found. Long story short (you can read through all the posts on here if you want the full story) I went back and forth on a couple of different stones before deciding on a .78 G/VS1, which you can see in the link a few posts above this.

I know that there’s really no “good” deal in diamonds, as IMO. anything without an intrinsic value cannot be said to be a “good deal.” But I do believe that, by educating myself and seeking advice on these forums, I got a “fair” deal, meaning that I didn’t overpay for a crappy chain store diamond, but instead paid a fair resellers markup relative to current market prices for a decent diamond and setting that met my criteria and my girlfriend’s desires. And I think that’s all anyone can ask for when buying an engagement ring: A fair deal.

Before posting the pictures, I would just like to give a shout-out to @rockysalamander, @RetroTreeGal, @Dancing Fire, @whitewave and @gm89uk for their guidance in selecting the diamond. Now that I know more about picking winners, I’ve tried to give back by guiding others on these forums who are in the same position as I was.

So, without further ado, here is the ring (I’ll make a separate post for the earrings):

These two were taken in diffuse sunlight near my parent's living room window that has excellent sunshine in the mornings. I think the diamond looked the best in this lighting and also outdoors. :)

Here it is in low light (same location as before, but nighttime with an incandescent lamp nearby). Even in this lighting, it still picks up quite a bit of light.

Here is the side profile. JA did an excellent job with the bezel making it even and symmetrical. I've seen some badly botched bezels (damn, that's a tongue twister) out there, so I'm glad they did a decent job in this case. If there was anything I could improve about the ring, I would set the diamond about .2-.3mm lower in the setting, as there looks to be room for lowering it a bit, but perhaps I'm being too anal here? :mrgreen:

My best attempt at using the IdealScope that came with the ring. I know they aren't meant to be used with mounted stones, but I think it does a pretty good job of showing the H&A pattern.

And finally a video, because still images really don't capture the fire of a diamond. :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L38f56UygJySgv9I9He3tlTzR7RvxNZK/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came into this experience knowing practically nothing about diamonds other than that they were clear and sparkly, and with a few tidbits of information that I had extracted from my girlfriend regarding her preferences (even getting this from her without giving away my intensions was like pulling teeth :D ):

1. Platinum solitaire setting without prongs
2. A (real) diamond. Round. Not too big. But nice.
3. A pair of diamond stud earrings as well

Needless to say, that leaves a lot of room for interpretation regarding which diamond to choose. At the recommendation of a few friends, I decided that I would buy online to save money, but that left me feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices out there (James Allen has 100,000 diamonds listed alone!) I figured that I would turn to the internet for advice, so I Googled “diamond help forums” and up popped Pricescope. J

I set aside about $7000 for the engagement jewelry (Ring and earrings). My girlfriend’s family is Vietnamese, and in their culture they usually do earrings instead of an E-ring for the engagement ceremony (Tea Ceremony). So lucky me, I got to do both!... :D My plan was to allocate $4500 to the ring and $2500 to the earrings.

After educating myself on the forums for a few weeks regarding cut, I started this thread to check on a diamond that I had found. Long story short (you can read through all the posts on here if you want the full story) I went back and forth on a couple of different stones before deciding on a .78 G/VS1, which you can see in the link a few posts above this.

I know that there’s really no “good” deal in diamonds, as IMO. anything without an intrinsic value cannot be said to be a “good deal.” But I do believe that, by educating myself and seeking advice on these forums, I got a “fair” deal, meaning that I didn’t overpay for a crappy chain store diamond, but instead paid a fair resellers markup relative to current market prices for a decent diamond and setting that met my criteria and my girlfriend’s desires. And I think that’s all anyone can ask for when buying an engagement ring: A fair deal.

Before posting the pictures, I would just like to give a shout-out to @rockysalamander, @RetroTreeGal, @Dancing Fire, @whitewave and @gm89uk for their guidance in selecting the diamond. Now that I know more about picking winners, I’ve tried to give back by guiding others on these forums who are in the same position as I was.

So, without further ado, here is the ring (I’ll make a separate post for the earrings):

These two were taken in diffuse sunlight near my parent's living room window that has excellent sunshine in the mornings. I think the diamond looked the best in this lighting and also outdoors. :)

Here it is in low light (same location as before, but nighttime with an incandescent lamp nearby). Even in this lighting, it still picks up quite a bit of light.

Here is the side profile. JA did an excellent job with the bezel making it even and symmetrical. I've seen some badly botched bezels (damn, that's a tongue twister) out there, so I'm glad they did a decent job in this case. If there was anything I could improve about the ring, I would set the diamond about .2-.3mm lower in the setting, as there looks to be room for lowering it a bit, but perhaps I'm being too anal here? :mrgreen:

My best attempt at using the IdealScope that came with the ring. I know they aren't meant to be used with mounted stones, but I think it does a pretty good job of showing the H&A pattern.

And finally a video, because still images really don't capture the fire of a diamond. :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L38f56UygJySgv9I9He3tlTzR7RvxNZK/view?usp=sharing

I couldn't see the photos, just the video but congrats on your pending engagement! The ring is beautiful and I love its streamlined look. The amount of care you took to pick the perfect thing for your girlfriend is lovely. :appl::appl::appl:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah, OK. I added the photos to a private album. Guess that explains it. Reposting the photos and comments again. I added the photos to the public media section. Let me know if it works this time! :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous Tree, you did a great job and that's a super arrow pattern, well done!:love:

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Lorelei the arrows look amazing!!:love:

I also hear you on the lowering of the diamond in the setting, it almost looks as if the stock setting was made for a slightly larger stone. But the way the cathedral shanks go it doesn’t seem like it could be lowered without altering the whole structure of the ring.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I couldn't see the photos, just the video but congrats on your pending engagement! The ring is beautiful and I love its streamlined look. The amount of care you took to pick the perfect thing for your girlfriend is lovely. :appl::appl::appl:

Thank you! She deserves the best. :)

It's gorgeous Tree, you did a great job and that's a super arrow pattern, well done!:love:

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you, as I've learned a lot from your posts here on PS. :)

I agree with @Lorelei the arrows look amazing!!:love:

I also hear you on the lowering of the diamond in the setting, it almost looks as if the stock setting was made for a slightly larger stone. But the way the cathedral shanks go it doesn’t seem like it could be lowered without altering the whole structure of the ring.

I think you're exactly right. It looks like the stock setting (including the cathedral portion of the shank and the U in the under-gallery) is made for a 1 carat, and then they craft the bezel by hand for each individual stone. That's probably why it looks like the diamond could be lowered by .2-.3mm, as a 1 carat diamond would be about .3mm deeper than my .78 carat. However, this is a minor quip, as the diamond is still set very low. And given that this stock setting was literally half the cost of the more-bespoke bezels like WF and Brian Gavin carry ($750 vs $1500), I can live with an extra .2-3mm. :mrgreen:

Tree
Congrats, Beautiful ring! job well done!

Thanks! Appreciate all of your help in my early diamond education. :)

oh wow. It turned out GORGEOUS! I love how the diamond still gets lots of light from underneath. STUNNING!

Thank you. You and your wife's E-rings are two of my favorite here on PS, so the complement means a lot from you. :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
''Thanks! That means a lot coming from you, as I've learned a lot from your posts here on PS. :)''

*blush* thanks Tree that's very kind of you to say so and you're doing a great job on the forums!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring, congratulations. Thanks for updating us and I've enjoyed reading all your contributions since this thread.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’s perfect. Thanks for coming back and sharing it with us!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring. The bezel is very nice. so glad you updated us and staped around to join the PS family. You've already helped many.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully - I am sure she will be thrilled!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice job on the ring @TreeScientist ! When is the proposal going down?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice job on the ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results