shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond (New to this)

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I advise you not to get this stone. Don't buy an SI stone where it looks too good to be true.

This is based on clouds not seen and has been given SI for a reason. It's much better to have white crystals by the crown, That explain the grading, so that you know the rest of the diamond is crystal clear, than to get diffused clouds. Additionally am idealscope would not show any problems as this not an optical problem, but a transparency issue. I would put your purchase on hold and keep searching.

This looks good, primary inclusion seems to be a feather, but it seems very superficial and thin. Optical symmetry seems good. You would have to enquire if visible at an angle. Or your original diamonds.

Regardless don't forget to ask for a JA advantage program discount, some stones will get you a few hundred $ off

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4104755

Additionally @rockysalamander, thanks for the education in this thread, I've enjoyed reading. Although not sure why you prefer 35.5/40.6 to 35/40.8 which makes a fantastic combination. 40.9 average would be rounded to 41 with GIA so that is at least reassuring that a steeper pavilion wouldn't be rounded down. BGD comes to mind as a superideal vendor that places emphasis on steeper end of superideal diamonds with many diamonds having both >34.5 and >40.7.

I remember Serg posting that well cut stones with tight parameters with 35/41 combos can appear to display more brilliance than ones that traditionally follow traditional inverse relationship, (although I'm in area with low WiFi at present and cannot locate the reference).

At present JA currently have quite a few >35 >40.8 diamonds in their TH range that achieve AGS0 (although I acknowledge this is a spectrum).

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply gm89uk. In the photo though, it doesn't seem to be affecting the light performance. I read about "cloudy diamonds" over on WF and looked at pictures of a cloudy diamond and clear diamond, and this one doesn't seem to be cloudy.
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-di...inclusions-impact-on-diamond-sparkle-1372.htm

If you still think it should be avoided, what do you think of this stone?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3880144.htm

Also says "additional clouds not shown" but the critical difference is the clarity grade of SI1 is not based on this comment, which I've heard usually means the clouds will be a non-issue regarding light performance. I also trust that an ACA stone will probably out-perform a normal GIA triple-EX.

Last edited:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a great stone. I would trust any of the superideal vendors for proper vetting, particularly WF. If you want super ideal and a little more spread you could consider this, GOG will be very upfront at the effect of the inclusions and are great at making videos, you can also request videos against cleaner stones. WF have a better upgrade policy

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/0.87-Ascendancy Hearts & Arrows Round Cut-EX-GIA-G-SI2-diamond-stock-16283-cert-1186816506

Remember that setting, number of prongs, placement of prongs can have dramatic impact of size of stone.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a great stone. If you want super ideal and a little more spread you could consider this, GOG will be very upfront at the effect of the inclusions and are great at making videos, you can also request videos against cleaner stones. WF have a better upgrade policy

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/0.87-Ascendancy Hearts & Arrows Round Cut-EX-GIA-G-SI2-diamond-stock-16283-cert-1186816506

Remember that setting, number of prongs, placement of prongs can have dramatic impact of size of stone.

Thanks for the other suggestion. I agree that it's also a pretty stone, but I the WF one looks more "eye-clean"

So, in your opinion, do you think the "clouds not shown" comment in the SI1 diamond from WF is a non-issue?

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Look at you go, talking about LGF! You’re gonna be a regular on here helping other newbies for sure. I think you made a great switch.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Look at you go, talking about LGF! You’re gonna be a regular on here helping other newbies for sure. I think you made a great switch.

I really like learning about diamond geometry so far. It's a sort of "science" for sure. :)

By "great switch" are you referring to the JA diamond, or the new Whiteflash ACA stone I posted?

Still not sure if I should stick with the JA stone. Now I'm worried about the diamond appearing cloudy due to the "Clarity grade based on clouds not shown" comment.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the other suggestion. I agree that it's also a pretty stone, but I the WF one looks more "eye-clean"

So, in your opinion, do you think the "clouds not shown" comment in the SI1 diamond from WF is a non-issue?

Struggling to load the certificate but you are paying for a premium for an in-house vetted diamond. If you pose this question they would be able to tell you more accurately than any person here as they can assess the stone in person. You can be assured they will answer you honestly regarding their assessment. You can ask if any clouds are visible from 6 inches or as close as humanly possible / or on tilting etc..

It looks like the best stone and actually I'm surprised by the price considering it's an ACA.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Struggling to load the certificate but you are paying for a premium for an in-house vetted diamond. If you pose this question they would be able to tell you more accurately than any person here as they can assess the stone in person. You can be assured they will answer you honestly regarding their assessment. You can ask if any clouds are visible from 6 inches or as close as humanly possible / or on tilting etc..

It looks like the best stone and actually I'm surprised by the price considering it's an ACA.

Here's the certificate: http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104095240028-PGRH.PDF

I'm surprised by the price as well. Didn't think there would be a super ideal in this price bracket.

I'm having a gemologist pull the stone today to take a look at it for me. I'll ask them if they see anything that's a red flag in the stone's performance.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really like learning about diamond geometry so far. It's a sort of "science" for sure. :)

By "great switch" are you referring to the JA diamond, or the new Whiteflash ACA stone I posted?

Still not sure if I should stick with the JA stone. Now I'm worried about the diamond appearing cloudy due to the "Clarity grade based on clouds not shown" comment.

Sorry, I posted pre-coffee and didn’t see anything after your JA switch. I’d ask JA if the clouds affect the crispness of the stone. It doesn’t seem to have a large impact in the video, but now that it was pointed out I can possibly make myself see some, maybe? Power of suggestion. Whether you’d actually see a difference in real life is unknown. That said, as a scientist, I can definitely see the appeal of getting the cream of the crop best cut stone of an ACA. That’s piece of mind, for sure, knowing you got the top engineered product for maximum performance. If set side by side and scrutinized, you may notice a bit more sparkle in the ACA, but no one will dog the JA stone in real life. But the JA stone is a bit larger. Decisions decisions...and only you can say what is best for you.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I posted pre-coffee and didn’t see anything after your JA switch. I’d ask JA if the clouds affect the crispness of the stone. It doesn’t seem to have a large impact in the video, but now that it was pointed out I can possibly make myself see some, maybe? Power of suggestion. Whether you’d actually see a difference in real life is unknown. That said, as a scientist, I can definitely see the appeal of getting the cream of the crop best cut stone of an ACA. That’s piece of mind, for sure, knowing you got the top engineered product for maximum performance. If set side by side and scrutinized, you may notice a bit more sparkle in the ACA, but no one will dog the JA stone in real life. But the JA stone is a bit larger. Decisions decisions...and only you can say what is best for you.

No worries, I can't be trusted with much pre-coffee either. :tongue:

I get what you're saying about the power of suggestion. Now that I know that "clarity grade based on clouds not shown" in an SI1 has a pretty large chance of impacting performance (again, love this site because of all the info!) I'll probably see it as "off" when I receive the stone even if it doesn't impact the performance in this case to any discernible degree.

I'm thinking that I'll stick with the ACA stone if the gemologist there can pull it for me and confirm that clarity and crispness aren't affected (which I don't think they will be in this case, since the clarity grade isn't based off of the clouds, but rather the two crystals on the facets).

Don't care too much about the size in this case. My GF said she doesn't want a big stone anyway, so I don't think going a little larger is an issue.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We’ll there you have it. That’s probably what I would have decided too, being as analytical as I am.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Clouds are very poorly portrayed in videos and you can not judge the effect of clouds on a JA type video

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just looked at the ACA diamond, and it is indeed very nice. The problem is that WF doesn't have a bezel setting that I like (I greatly prefer LAs bezel setting). Now I'm looking at one other diamond from JA for comparison.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-g-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-4284779

It's a Truehearts with AGS 000. Looks like it has a decent IdealScope as well. It also says "Clouds not Shown" on the AGS certificate though. Since there's nothing else on the actual diamond map, I'm guessing the clouds are the reason for the VS1 rating.

Are diffuse clouds ever a problem for VS1 diamonds regarding transparency? It does not say that the clouds are the reason for the grade, but I assume they are the reason since the diagram is clean.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can send JA setting you like to WF and see if they can source one. Many vendors have a similar setting.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can send JA setting you like to WF and see if they can source one. Many vendors have a similar setting.

Thanks Salamander, I'm checking with WF now to see if they can customize their bezel setting for close to JAs price. They have a bezel set, but I really prefer the smoother lines in the JA bezel set.

And finally, on the list of JA diamonds is this one:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4266623

Looks really good, but has an old GIA certificate (2016). Does this mean that it may have been returned?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm actually going to go with the Whiteflash stone. I just saw it in person (their gemologist just pulled it for me and took a few photos) and wow, it is amazing! I see why ACAs get so much praise on these forums. The fire is incredible. :)

She also confirmed, as I suspected, that the clouds don't affect the transparency at all. Also, the crystal under the face is not visible without a loupe and the larger crystal (and the reason for the SI1 grade I assume) on the facets closer to the girdle is also not eye-visible.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at Sholdt setting. WF should be able to order from them.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
F7832221-302F-4908-8FD6-2841CC8BDFF3.jpeg C1713362-9F98-4EE9-982D-B5324F78FF57.jpeg
Here is his fiancé’s ring. 0.7ct on a size 5.5 finger.

Thank's TreeGal, that's a really beautiful ring. However, I still really like the JA bezel setting.

Unfortunately, while the settings at WF are beautiful, it looks like I won't be able to order from them. I'm having the ring shipped to a friend of mine to help with the surprise engagement, but WF won't ship to friends. :( Oh well.

Back to looking at stones at JA. Here are two more I've found (a bit lower carat weight, but really nice). It seems really hard to find something on JA within the 0.8-0.9 carat range now.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4259526
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...d-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4188766

Oh the two, I'm leaning more towards the G stone (I like the slightly higher CA and lower PA combo). What do you think?

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, while the settings at WF are beautiful, it looks like I won't be able to order from them. I'm having the ring shipped to a friend of mine to help with the surprise engagement, but WF won't ship to friends. :( Oh well.

Well that’s sure a bummer! I assume you’ve looked into all options on that front.

Back to looking at stones at JA. Here are two more I've found (a bit lower carat weight, but really nice). It seems really hard to find something on JA within the 0.8-0.9 carat range now.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4259526
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...d-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4188766
Oh the two, I'm leaning more towards the G stone (I like the slightly higher CA and lower PA combo). What do you think?

Of the two I like the G for the crown angle too. For some reason, it’s irking me that it’s 0.05mm out of round though. Someone else needs to weigh in on that aspect of this stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have really come to love bezel settings in the last few months. I love the one you picked out from
JA...

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well that’s sure a bummer! I assume you’ve looked into all options on that front.

Of the two I like the G for the crown angle too. For some reason, it’s irking me that it’s 0.05mm out of round though. Someone else needs to weigh in on that aspect of this stone.

Yep, I'm looking into options with WF. There may be a way that I could have my friend who's helping me pay for it and then pay him back. Going to look into that.

That's the only thing that bothered me about the G stone as well. Looks like it otherwise has great dimensions.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, my issue again with them is the lack of a bezel setting I like, and the cost of making a custom one through them (there's is $600 more than JA's after the JA coupon)

What do you think of the true hearts I just posted?

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like the 0.78 G VS1 the best of the 3.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results