shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Leon Mege E-Ring Design?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, they are lab. So 30-40% cheaper, but not free ($2200 including recut). No chance my dude will spring for a second pair (more time + more scratch), and I doubt Leon would do an even exchange since they were custom cut (assuming he could even if he could find a suitable alternative tout suite).

Yeah...thats a tad more than I expected. I was hoping more the $1200 range but really had no idea!

Edit Yssie's input makes sense to me. It is all so subtle and luckily Leon seems to be a master at getting these subtle effects.

Last edited:
I always think it's so weird when the bf has such strong opinions about the ring. I mean the fiancée is the one wearing it!! It doesn't sound like you are inclined toward the baguettes in that direction, but if you were it would be a bummer...
If I had my heart set on horizontal (straight or tapered) baguettes, I’m sure he would oblige. It’s a style I like well enough — certainly wouldn’t kick it out of bed — and I briefly toyed around with the idea, but it was painlessly crossed off the list when he said it didn’t rock his world. Especially since he’s bent to my will on most everything else thus far, haha.

My now husband is like that too. Not picky per say, and very laid back…but weirdly strong opinions about a lot of looks I love for engagement/wedding rings. He doesn’t care about any of my other jewelry.
I wouldn’t have believed you if you told me this a few months ago, but I actually enjoy hearing the bf’s (often uneducated, bizarre, contradictory) thoughts on ring stuff. Bling is not exactly an area of keen interest for him — that he cares enough to even form an opinion has made the process way more fun!

I think a solitaire would be prettier, especially if you’ve given up on using your mom’s baguette.

Regarding the guy having a strong opinion, my husband pushed me to get a modern cut stone when I really wanted an old cut. I got what he wanted, and it never felt right. I reset it 5 times and then finally sold it. Now I have the old cut I always wanted, and he’s happy that I’m happy with it.

I don’t think a traditional solitaire would suit me, although I find them beautiful on others. Funnily enough, the dude would LOVE if we went that route. If it were totally up to him, I’d have a modest MRB in a Tiffany style solitaire purchased from a family jeweler. The ring also would have been a total surprise with no direct input from me, and the question would have been popped 3 months ago. As your can see, that is not what’s happening. He’s the real victim here :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t have believed you if you told me this a few months ago, but I actually enjoy hearing the bf’s (often uneducated, bizarre, contradictory) thoughts on ring stuff. Bling is not exactly an area of keen interest for him — that he cares enough to even form an opinion has made the process way more fun!

I totally get it! And I feel the same way. It also gives me permission to go totally wild on projects that aren’t about our union. But I really wanted my other half to have some say in how my ring looked, so it felt like “us”

Are those last baguettes going to be long enough after the recut? I dont know how much length you
lose (or if you dont lose any) during the recut. If you dont lose any (or much) they look good to me.
Leon said they wouldn’t lose any length with the recut. Based on my rather imprecise calculations using the measuring tool in the Photos app, it seems he was correct.

Lol those photos are wild.

If the pics came from anyone but Leon (or other PS vendor), I’d be like “bro, what are you trying to hide?!”

BUT - the good news is, despite appalling photos, I suspect this is going to be one scrummy ring. (Not sure if you watch Great British Bake Off…but in other words, scrumptious.)

I would frankly do a trust fall instead of asking for exact measurements. But I’m not terribly familiar with POs and their necessities.

I will forever carry a torch for Mel, Sue and Mary Berry.

I was leaning trust fall, but some of the old threads (e.g., Airline-gate, warnings of “if it’s not in the work order…”) made me wonder if there was anything worth specifying!

If you want something specific like a pinched shank, or a 3mm wide shank not a 2.8mm wide shank, I’d talk with him about those particulars. But in terms of why you want those things, not just that you want them. Like… If you want the shank to match the width of another band. You’ve got a good rapport with him, you can yourself and your relationship ::) I’m personally inclined to just let him do his thing.

But I’m also the sort of person who will comfortably spend a fair bit (with a trusted vendor!) on a custom project with no PO and no idea of final cost outside of a general ballpark, so take with salt and all that.

I would leave it to him to determine the proportions, the width, and the like, unless you really really have specific desires that you are going to be unhappy that are not met. I think that is the reason why you use someone like him, because you are looking for the overall look of an entire piece, rather than the individual details. You are looking for the sum of the parts, with someone like Leon.

Oh yeah, I am not about to dictate shank width to the mm! For starters, I wouldn’t even know how to choose something like that. @elizat You are right on the money — I chose LM precisely because I didn’t want to have to stress over the little details (unless I feel like it :devil:) and pray that what I arbitrarily pick creates an aesthetically pleasing whole. @yssie I really like the approach to the particulars that you suggested — so far I’ve only asked for things I know I want, and why I want them, and that’s seems to be working out pretty well so far! I’ve at times worried that I’ve given him too much direction and somehow tied his hands with these traps, for example. But I’m a confessed masochist who enjoys agonizing over these things — helps me pass the time as I wait for the finished product!

Sorry for rapid fire Diary Entry #4, but I finally have a calmer day at work and can catch up on the thread! Gird your loins.

I think I was hoping they would be a tad longer too but hoping once they are angled some of the width becomes less
noticeable and the length gets more accentuated (hoping).
It's hard, because we are looking at a flat photo, but to me they look like, once set, and tilted a bit, they will look good. But of course it's you who must think so, not me.

I'm assuming that angling the baguettes will make them look a little skinnier, but I don't think it will make them look longer.
2. The sidestones will be angled. Leon likes a pretty severe sidestone angle, actually (and your finger size would demand that anyway). Things that are closer to the eye look larger - subtend angle - so not only will the sidestones look less wide face-up just because they’re angled away from you, the far length edge of the sidestones will look a touch shorter, as well.

3. The center EC is octagonal - it’s got cut out shoulders. The double-prongs won’t be adding any visual height to the EC because they’re sitting lower than the top (and higher than the bottom) of the stone. The side traps don’t have those cut out shoulders, so the single prongs holding them in place are going to sit above the top of the stone (and below the bottom of the stone). This will visually add a little height from faceup from afar.
Flat blue tape trap:

84723809-9FD4-4042-BC8F-3E872F84C2E0.jpeg

Same tape trap angled about as much as I think your sidestones might be.

A4CE10F4-EF27-4594-865B-DAD0435345FA.jpeg

So I did try to take into account the fact that the traps will angled. I just wasn’t sure how severe an angle or how it might translate when it comes to the face up proportions. I made another janky mock up the other day trying to visualize it (thinning out and further tapering the sides), but it was total guesswork. Wasn’t sure how sharply they’d be angled (glad to hear the answer is “very”), or how much impact it would ultimately have. Here was the attempt, but I think the painters tape example (thank you!) demonstrates a more subtle effect than what I had estimated:

BF0C72F5-D63C-41DB-8FF7-5CC54AA080AB.jpeg BC2E507F-5C14-4B69-89C1-3987B43F0A01.jpeg

@yssie You make a great point re the prongs. I don’t think the traps could realistically be much longer, or at least I wouldn’t want them significantly longer, for that reason. I’m not totally sure what’s feeling off to me about them! And hopefully the double claws don’t add height to the EC — it doesn’t have the roomiest corners, and even slightly sticky-outty prongs (see mockup) are complete anathema to me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s so hard to judge from photos. And CADs. And mock-ups. Oddly enough. The more realistic the photos the more there is to worry about, in a roundabout way!!

I think maybe you would feel better if you chatted with Leon. Are you able to give him a call? He might have insights - or say just the right words - to reassure you, or he might realize something’s off and adapt his plan - either way it can’t hurt but might be very beneficial!

This is your engagement ring - it’s a Big Deal. He definitely understands that his customers want #TheBest, and that they might not all define that exactly the same way ❤️

It’s so hard to judge from photos. And CADs. And mock-ups. Oddly enough. The more realistic the photos the more there is to worry about, in a roundabout way!!

I think maybe you would feel better if you chatted with Leon. Are you able to give him a call? He might have insights - or say just the right words - to reassure you, or he might realize something’s off and adapt his plan - either way it can’t hurt but might be very beneficial!

This is your engagement ring - it’s a Big Deal. He definitely understands that his customers want #TheBest, and that they might not all define that exactly the same way ❤️

I’m not shy about calling him — lord knows I have called him plenty already — I guess the issue is that I’m not sure how to articulate my concerns wrt the traps, or what reassurance it is I’m even looking for. He’s been generous with his time and super lovely about answering my questions, explaining why he recommends X over Y, etc. But I’ve found that it’s best to go into our convos with a clear, concrete and concise message/question in mind.

So I guess I’m here trying to pinpoint what’s causing that niggling feeling and find the right language to express it! And also because no one IRL will humor my ranting about it, haha.

Tried calling today for some reassurance per @yssie ’s advice (and to update him on ring size), and Rachel picked up. My immediate thought was, “oh hell, I finally managed to be annoying enough for Leon to cut me off.” :lol: Turns out he’s in Vegas this week for the trade show. I think I may just need to go full steam ahead, rather than wait yet another week to have a likely inconsequential convo.

Thanks again, all, for the thoughtful advice — as always!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I am super late to the party but i really enjoyed reading this thread and wish I found it sooner! @Mary Queen of Scotch, your ring (do you have it yet??) is definitely what dreams are made of. I got engaged in my 20s and now 10 years later I am getting a new ring and I'm thrilled - very very similar design! The first time I saw it I was sold. (Mine is also all lab diamonds)

Originally I gravitated towards the long and skinny traps but my center stone isn't as large as yours (2.6 vs yours!) and I have slightly larger fingers (5.25) and ended up liking more finger coverage / wider traps for my hand. I am having the ring remade with a more elongated emerald which I think will be the perfect happy medium between your gorgeous elongated set and a wider set.

Congrats to you and please post pictures once it's done!

IMG_0686.jpeg

@Mary Queen of Scotch any updates on your ring? I've been lurking and living vicariously through you. I can't wait to see it once it is complete!

No! The past ~6 weeks of waiting have been pure agony. Not to be melodramatic. :lol:

I get the impression that my dude called Leon directly sometime last month to cut me out of the process. Which I’m fine with as all of the design decisions have already been made, and it allows my OH to at least pretend there’s an element of surprise to this whole farce. I have a sneaking suspicion that he’ll pop the big Q in the next couple weeks (I pray) — I will absolutely post an update/pics when that ultimately happens!

The only minor update: back in August I WhatsApp’d LM about the trap ratio/proportions, as suggested by other PSers. And Leon was basically like, “well, they were custom cut per your request, so what you see is what you get.” I said ok, I get that — can you just provide some reassurance that my request wasn’t stupid as hell? His reply: “no, it's not stupid, the ring will be pretty.” So there ya go — what will be, will be!

I am super late to the party but i really enjoyed reading this thread and wish I found it sooner! @Mary Queen of Scotch, your ring (do you have it yet??) is definitely what dreams are made of. I got engaged in my 20s and now 10 years later I am getting a new ring and I'm thrilled - very very similar design! The first time I saw it I was sold. (Mine is also all lab diamonds)

Originally I gravitated towards the long and skinny traps but my center stone isn't as large as yours (2.6 vs yours!) and I have slightly larger fingers (5.25) and ended up liking more finger coverage / wider traps for my hand. I am having the ring remade with a more elongated emerald which I think will be the perfect happy medium between your gorgeous elongated set and a wider set.

Congrats to you and please post pictures once it's done!

IMG_0686.jpeg

I was following your upgrade threads, as well! In terms of the “classics,” a 3 stone with EC + traps is (obviously) a personal favorite. You really can’t go wrong with it!

I think the more elongated EC you swapped in was a great choice. Glad to hear you had such a great experience with Frank Darling, as well. I looked at them initially but was skeptical at the time as I didn’t see any mention of them here (for good or for ill). Always awesome to get feedback on new-to-PS vendors!

Here she blows!

6241F8A9-B57B-4F20-8DDD-87D461803B0C.jpeg
FB842D55-B4C2-4E10-9A54-5211F92E1036.jpeg

82D967E7-CC7D-46F6-9087-59FF72E15389.jpeg CEC7FAED-7A6D-458D-A803-83530B5C3ECD.jpeg A4B37FA5-B66C-40FC-90CC-97F057650756.jpeg 6BD4CF7D-3F74-41BB-83CD-892D1260D9D2.jpeg

Please forgive the fingerprints — table is a forensic analyst’s dream — and my Beetlejuice hands. I felt too self conscious to take more/better photos at the proposal site. Pretty pics (and my impressions) to follow!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Here she blows!

82D967E7-CC7D-46F6-9087-59FF72E15389.jpeg CEC7FAED-7A6D-458D-A803-83530B5C3ECD.jpeg A4B37FA5-B66C-40FC-90CC-97F057650756.jpeg 6BD4CF7D-3F74-41BB-83CD-892D1260D9D2.jpeg

Please forgive the fingerprints — table is a forensic analyst’s dream — and my Beetlejuice hands. I felt too self conscious to take more/better photos at the proposal site. Pretty pics (and my impressions) to follow!

Incredible ! Absolutely perfect!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Here she blows!

Well, that was perfectly executed! Congratulations on such a splendid outcome.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on such a classy, elegant ring and your engagement!

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
Aaaaah!!! It’s gorgeous!

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Love it! Beautiful!

Thanks, guys!

I got dragged out to watch the Bears game, so I’m trying to entertain myself with stealth ring shots (why is this so hard?).

B95E7D4C-CDE8-4E5E-8302-6E9643569AF4.jpeg

It’s funny — it has some of the qualities that I just *knew* would be total dealbreakers for me (sticky-outty prongs, slight asymmetry, borderline ear-ish traps, inclusions), but for whatever reason they don’t really bother me in real life.

It doesn’t translate to photos, but I truly can’t believe how minuscule (and sharp!) LM’s prongs are in person. The rumors are true!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
That is to die for. The proportions are perfect and the entire ring is just so cohesive and lovely. I have prong envy btw

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty, @Mary Queen of Scotch :love:
Would you please show a profile pic or two when you get the chance?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well hello there gorgeous :love:

@Mary Queen of Scotch You and Leon nailed it!! Classic and timeless elegance. It looks amazing. Seriously. This ring feels like the answer to “why we go to Leon” - the answer unto itself - there’s just no better way to do an EC + vertical traps three-stone and there never will be :love. :appl:

Congrats!!!!!

Hurry up and post more photos!! We don’t mind beer and field in the background!! :bigsmile:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This ring is just gorgeous. So excited for you - those prongs look insanely meticulous.

And what a beautiful emerald cut…like a hall of mirrors!

Congrats, girl. It looks quite at home on your hand!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
@Mary Queen of Scotch ahhh it's gorgeous! so happy for you!! the proportions look great on your hand and I don't even notice any of those things you mentioned might be dealbreakers. Congrats on your beautiful ring and post more!

kah42

Shiny_Rock
I love it! Truly, your ring is stunning! Please post more pictures when you have a moment, including profile shots. Are you happy with the outcome?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning! Truly gorgeous, this would be the ring i would want if I didnt have an old cut! I'm on opposite ends with my taste, i either want really old antique with a lot going on (which is what I have), or super clean, elegant, modern, as yours is! Congratulations!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just marvelous. :kiss2: It looks completely at home on your hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results