shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on David Klass CADs for oval double halo ring

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you did not want to introduce a shoulder element, you could have the center wire split into two faux wires that attached to the halo. Like a wire split shank. So, you'd have the outer wires like the ring above, but after the wrap, you'd have a split like this.

upload_2018-2-4_16-11-24.png

You can pave the center legs too.
upload_2018-2-4_16-13-4.png

Or with his uber bench, how about something shaped.
upload_2018-2-4_16-14-8.png

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Argh more options thanks @rockysalamander and @diamondseeker2006 I'm just rubbish at making decisions. I was so sure of what I wanted and although I can see the reasons to change my mind I can't see what to!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not 100% sure where your confusion lies. Do you love a tri-wire shank with the cuffs?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Argh more options thanks @rockysalamander and @diamondseeker2006 I'm just rubbish at making decisions. I was so sure of what I wanted and although I can see the reasons to change my mind I can't see what to!
I can suggest from experience to step back now and give yourself some time. Otherwise you will end up with something you are not completely happy with. Which then leads to it sitting in a jewel box or resetting hell. Neither is a good (or cost effective) choice. ;)2

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 you are absolutely right, I am going to email David and say I will contact him on a week or so when I have made my mind up! I'll post again when I get there! Thanks for everyone who has contributed so far!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 you are absolutely right, I am going to email David and say I will contact him on a week or so when I have made my mind up! I'll post again when I get there! Thanks for everyone who has contributed so far!
I am glad to hear this. David will fully understand. We are always here to help.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That last shank is only 1.7mm at the base. It seems like a three-wire would be the same width all the way up. I think that is too thin. I'd want a minimum of 2mm especially with a ring this big on top.

If you look back on this thread to msop's three stone ring with 3 wire shank, you can see how thin it looks on the actual ring on her finger, but the CAD says it's 2.14. I'd stick with your second with of 2.0 for sure. If you had a tiny dainty halo, I might go for 1.8, but I think you need the 2mm with the size of your halo. Remember, everything will look more delicate than these cads.

Yes, 1.7 is going to be way too thin... mine seems tiny at 2.14 mm, and seeing how thin it actually is, I wouldn't have minded if it were 2.5 mm, honestly. Since you have such a substantial ring, I really feel like it needs to be at least 2.3-2.6 mm. 1.7 is TINY. Just my $0.02. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that input, @msop04. With the size of her halo, there's all the more reason to have a proportional size shank.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely, I agree 100% with @redwood66... just take a step back and take a deep breath. This isn't a race, and you want it to be exactly what you want. Resetting is expensive and frustrating... My advice to you is to find photos of a setting of which you love pretty much every element. If there are a few things you want changed, then find other photos of what you'd like that element to be. Sometimes these things look great on each individual ring, but when you try to put all them together, you realize that they just don't "work"... and that's okay. I believe when you find a photo of a setting you really love, it will be a no-brainer -- you'll just know.

Also, don't feel the need to add and change just for the sake of "making it your own"... some rings were done perfectly the first time, and adding or changing can ruin the aesthetic. Sometimes we get a little overwhelmed with all the (very good) suggestions here on PS, and it makes us so dang confused. Take a break. Look at pieces that have the same "look" you're after. Print them out. Make a folder. The answers will come to you. No rush. :)

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that input, @msop04. With the size of her halo, there's all the more reason to have a proportional size shank.

Yes, I'm afraid such a small shank (even if strong enough) would look like a bobble-head. I really think 2.5 is the way to go. The great thing about the tri-wire is that it mimics the look of a knife edge, in that you can go a little thicker for added durability, but it gives the illusion of being much thinner. This is why I chose to go with a tri-wire wedding band... love them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely agree. Even 2.0 is very thin in appearance.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely agree. Even 2.0 is very thin in appearance.

Yes, my wband is 1.8, and it gives the illusion of being about 1.4 or less... I wanted it to be "barely there", and I feel like I accomplished that. ;-) CADs make everything look bulkier, but the IRL view is what you have to consider (see bottom photo - and even that's not truly IRL, so you can imagine how dainty it actually is...).
DK Wire Band _plat_4.jpg DK Wire Band _plat_3.jpg

I believe if OP went with 2.5 mm, it would look about like a 2.0-2.1 mm flat/rounded shank IRL.

ETA: After really looking at my 1.8 mm, there is no way I'd go with that for a ring as substantial as yours. It's just way too thin.

Attachments

• DK Wire Band _plat_1.jpg
    DK Wire Band _plat_1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DK Wire Band _plat_5.jpg
    DK Wire Band _plat_5.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just to update this thread I have just signed off on my cad! It will be cast tonight. David has been very patient and worked through many tweaks. Eventually I lost the triwire design and went for a plain shank with inset diamonds right at the top. The gallery was also redesigned with inset diamonds. Last job was to graduate the inner diamonds and it made a big visual difference.
Thank you to everyone who has helped this far , not just on this thread but on all of my others which were all about sorting this ring out really! Big big thanks to those below who contributed and helped me in this thread you have all made a big impact on my decision making. I'm looking forward to posting the results!
@msop04 @diamondseeker2006 @Rfisher @Niel @rockysalamander

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you made a decision... Can you post the final CADs?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can - I was a bit hesitant because tbh I not feeling up to any criticism now I've finally confirmed everything (I wasn't exactly quick after allo_O). So listing them in a rocky talk thread but saying no criticism please seemed a little off but not posting them doesn't seem fair either.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Anyways here they are please be kind I know perhaps not everyone's cup of tea but I'm very excited and it felt right as soon as I opened the email. IMG_1986.jpg
Btw the gallery diamonds will all go up a bit, so will look less pronounced apparently this is because they will need to be hammered in after casting?!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please remember that, at the end of the day, YOU are the only one who has to love it... so glad you do!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks good, too! I can see the shank is 1.9mm which is good, and the halo size seems better scaled. I like the shoulders, too. It is going to be a big ring, but it will be beautiful! I can't wait to see it!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1mm for the outer and then it says on the drawing for the other ones.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been following your journey and can't wait to see the finished ring!

I think it's going to be beautiful, congratulations:clap:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_1803.JPG
I think it looks good, too! I can see the shank is 1.9mm which is good, and the halo size seems better scaled. I like the shoulders, too. It is going to be a big ring, but it will be beautiful! I can't wait to see it!

Thanks! I went through quite a few more changes since you helped me! I think the shoulders are quite simple which is what it needed. DK sent me the wax molds for the tri shank and this one (Pre some of the changes) and the tri just felt too flimsy my LO broke it! I don't think the halo size changed though until he made the inner diamonds different sizes which was the very last thing, it makes the overall shape more like my diamond which is perfect! And yes it will be big marginally longer than the wax but personally I don't think it looks too big on my finger - it won't be green either!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been following your journey and can't wait to see the finished ring!

I think it's going to be beautiful, congratulations:clap:

Thanks I'm excited too! I actually got engaged spring 2012 so it's been a long time coming! I haven't been quick making decisions so it's taking a while but what's another month?!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! I've been following this thread since day 1, and this looks great!

Looking forward to seeing the finished ring! Congratulations!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty! I've been following this thread since day 1, and this looks great!

Looking forward to seeing the finished ring! Congratulations!

Awww thanks mrs-b hopefully not too much longer now!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shoulders are SO much better! You may recall that I was worried about that one wire attaching earlier! I really love it now and can see others wanting to use that design for gemstone rings, too!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fuffangoolah and yowzapalowza! Is this your ring, @meely?

WOW!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking for @meely to confirm or deny!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey sorry I missed this - yes it is indeed @mrs-b @Rfisher should be with me by Monday. :DTypical UK service it's come all the way from LA in under 24hrs but somehow the last 80 miles will take 2 1/2 days!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results