shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on David Klass CADs for oval double halo ring

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got it! Clean sweeping shoulder and more simple gallery. You could easily add some detail to the gallery and retain the more modern feeling, but this feels more modern if paired with a well balanced halo. Maybe I've misread your post, but you seem to want to use the inspiration - but you don't want a faithful reproduction.

Its all about the balance between a vintage inspiration and adding those clean elements. Ignore me if I'm off track!

upload_2018-1-27_14-50-54.png
pic from @plpinkinsa

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got it! Clean sweeping shoulder and more simple gallery. You could easily add some detail to the gallery and retain the more modern feeling, but this feels more modern if paired with a well balanced halo. Maybe I've misread your post, but you seem to want to use the inspiration - but you don't want a faithful reproduction.

Its all about the balance between a vintage inspiration and adding those clean elements. Ignore me if I'm off track!

upload_2018-1-27_14-50-54.png
pic from @plpinkinsa

Now I can get on board with sandblasting instead of milgrain on this design... lovely.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not the same exact shank as posted above, but it maybe shows the idea...
upload_2018-1-27_16-25-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-27_16-23-4.png
    upload_2018-1-27_16-23-4.png
    381.3 KB · Views: 19

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the one above in white metal . And I’d really recommend considering one halo, because two are going to have to be really small to not overwhelm the center stone.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input @rockysalamander @diamondseeker2006 @msop04
I really appreciate all your comments and I will carefully consider everything that has been said. However Iat present I'm still feeling pretty tied to the tri wire and double halo. I'm not one for a solitaire but if I really had a big stone the vc grymera has always appealed massively and that manages to look very modern with tri wire and cuffs. I realise that it's a sleek solitaire but I still think those features can look modern. I need to think on it all some more I think.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm going to get David to reduce the halo then I will come back with more CADs. I need to see how that works out before looking at anything else I think, it's just overwhelming for my thought process otherwise.
I realise the double halo is not for everyone by a long stretch but if I can get the kind of proportions as per the pink sapphire I posted earlier that would be perfect for me and not to my mind overwhelming.
This is an antique ring I tried on a few months ago, I loved the size of it and aspects of design, only time I have got the 'feeling' when trying something on. Ultimately it wasn't right for various reasons but the shape, larger size and overall feel were. Something with only one halo just wouldn't be big enough for my personal taste.
IMG_1450.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 24

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s another beautiful antique ring. These styles probably weren’t meant to wear a band with them, so I am doubtful you’ll be able to wear a wedding band on that same finger if the completed ring will be the size of that last antique ring. I think that’s fine, too. Some people wear a band on the other hand. I also just letting you know that so if it is important to you to wear one on the same finger, the base and gallery would need to be raised some. I think regardless, the wedding band would scratch the gallery, and the wedding band would get scratched, as well. So I personally would not wear a band with a large low set halo ring because I wouldn’t want either ring damaged.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s another beautiful antique ring. These styles probably weren’t meant to wear a band with them, so I am doubtful you’ll be able to wear a wedding band on that same finger if the completed ring will be the size of that last antique ring. I think that’s fine, too. Some people wear a band on the other hand. I also just letting you know that so if it is important to you to wear one on the same finger, the base and gallery would need to be raised some. I think regardless, the wedding band would scratch the gallery, and the wedding band would get scratched, as well. So I personally would not wear a band with a large low set halo ring because I wouldn’t want either ring damaged.

No it won't be that big and that ring is really a panel type ring with no gallery to speak of, it's definitely more of a dinner ring type of ring and I do want an engagement ring just not necessarily that traditional. I need to think about the band I would like to be able to wear something very thin at times (I have a 4mm wedding band to wear on it's own). So maybe I need to think about raising things.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DK can make those bezels REALLY slim and nice. However, I do think they'll need very delicate milgrain. When he did my triwire RHR, the milgrain is EXTREMELY delicate... same for my three stone. I think it needs just a tiny bit of texture to soften the look and make it less metal-y.

Just been looking at your ring and it's stunningly beautiful. How did you get to that overall design? What about the gallery design?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely If you love the wraps and triwire -- stick with them. This is your ring and YOUR vision. My goal with showing other shank ideas was to help you explore your design aesthetic, not to change your whole design. It sounds like we got you down and, if I hear that right, I'm sorry.

I think once the halo is tweaked you'll have a better vision of where to go next.

I agree about the wedding band. You could work off a small donut or a solid shank. Have the gallery above that.

upload_2018-1-28_7-6-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-28_6-57-12.png
    upload_2018-1-28_6-57-12.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 20

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander no not at all I really appreciate everyone's help that's why I posted. However I'm someone who gets overwhelmed at times and I think the one thing everyone agrees on is the halo needing to slim down so I will get that done first and then go from there! Also I get that some of things I'm saying are seemingly at odds and appreciate people can be bothered to pull me up on it because ultimately if I don't get it right I will be disappointed not everyone else! So thank you for all of your help and thoughts and I will be back when the first lot of changes have happened!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found another oval with a bezel halo. Just to give you an visual of elongation (very elongated here). The listing says there are .32 carat of diamonds, so these are 0.02 c each. That's tinier that you want, but I do like how the halo really echos the shape of the center stone. Something tightly packed like this might help turn the corner of the oval. I kinda like how close the bezels are together. I can't get a high res picture.

black-opal-antique-ring-w-1392903787.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_1427.PNG
Yes this was something I considered on one of my previous posts last year. Obviously with any halo for (except squares or rounds) the overall shape of the head starts to echo the shape of the central stone less. If the avc came in more enlongated ratios I would have bought one but as it is when I worked it out they made the overall shape with a double halo too squarish for what I wanted. Then of course the opulence oval came! I think @drk14 kindly worked it out for me based on that pink sapphire ring and this emerald one which I also liked but wasn't quite elongated enough that I wanted ideally a ratio of around 1:35 to 1:40 for he centre stone.
Yes you are right of course the stones need to hug the stone as closely as possible to follow that shape. That is something the inspiration ring doesn't do, it's somewhat gapey and asymmetric too and I explain to DK that wasn't what I wanted, it does end up given a much more rounded look overall which I don't dislike but prefer to keep as enlongated as possible.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...according to the CAD DK sent you, those inner halo stones are 1.5 mm each (0.015 c). The ones in the very elongate opal I posed are 1.7 mm each (0.02 c). So. I think the difference is not the diamond size, as I initially thought, but they way the bezels are aligned. To keep your inspiration feeling, DK actually has space between each bezel. So, they stand alone like your inspiration.

upload_2018-1-28_8-25-45.png

The elongate oval has them butted together very tightly which is kinda masked by the heavy-handed milgrain. So, you can go either way to match your design preference. It depends how much you want the individual bezels to stand out.
upload_2018-1-28_8-27-45.png

I fear I'm overwhelming you again...sorry! I'm super detail oriented + love to solve problems. :oops2:

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-28_8-26-31.png
    upload_2018-1-28_8-26-31.png
    356.4 KB · Views: 22

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander yes you are and that's no bad thing so don't apologise! Tbh I would have them marginally closer together and reduce the bezel and get an extra one in or slightly enlarge the stone and reduce the bezel depends on what he can do with the outer halo/what fits!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just been looking at your ring and it's stunningly beautiful. How did you get to that overall design? What about the gallery design?

I basically sent David photos of several angles of my inspiration ring, and had him make it extremely close to the original (an antique ring). I had the band made a little thicker due to the larger center, but it was the same proportionally as the original. The gallery was very similar, if not the same, as the antique. I knew I loved the antique, so why stray much from that, KWIM? :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander yes you are and that's no bad thing so don't apologise! Tbh I would have them marginally closer together and reduce the bezel and get an extra one in or slightly enlarge the stone and reduce the bezel depends on what he can do with the outer halo/what fits!

I just wanted to say that each of those bezels will be very slim, so don't worry about that. The CAD is making them look bulky, as mine looked the exact same way...

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I had a good look at your threads it's a great recreation (I actually prefer yours!). I would have gone a very similar route with your particular stone it's very lovely. What is the style of pave in your halo? My husband thought it was lovely and similar to my inspiration ring so we are leaning that way.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say that each of those bezels will be very slim, so don't worry about that. The CAD is making them look bulky, as mine looked the exact same way...

Does that mean the gaps will be bigger then? Or you will see more diamond? What way do they 'slim down'?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I had a good look at your threads it's a great recreation (I actually prefer yours!). I would have gone a very similar route with your particular stone it's very lovely. What is the style of pave in your halo? My husband thought it was lovely and similar to my inspiration ring so we are leaning that way.

Thanks! The pave in the halo is bead set.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does that mean the gaps will be bigger then? Or you will see more diamond? What way do they 'slim down'?

You will see more diamond... the gaps may be very slightly larger, but just verify with David. He'll be able to tell you exactly what it will look like after finishing. Think about how large the CADs have blown up the ring. The actual ring will be much more delicate. Those gaps will be tiny. The "slimming down" is in the finishing. From what I understand, the CAD just makes bezels look chunky for whatever reason. Just remember that polishing will take off a little metal. Again, speak with David. If you have photos of exactly how you want them to be spaced or look, then that is even better. DK will do exactly what you want, you just have to communicate that. Photos are best.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Compare the CADs to the finished piece... do you notice how the bezels look big on the CAD, but very fine on the rings?? Also, it looks like the side bezels almost overlap, but there is a definite distinction between each bezel... Hope this helps!
7.5 x 7 mm Grey Spinel_3 Stone_DK_CAD_COLLAGE.jpg 7.5 x 7 mm Grey Spinel_hand_2.jpg 7.5 x 7 mm Grey Spinel_3 Stone_CVB_soli.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@msop04 sorry somehow I missed your replies, I only seem to get alerts sometimes. Thank you, I need to check on the gaps but David says the setter will carve out the bezels and there will only be a quarter left. I love that three stone it's very delicate perfect proportions!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_1481.jpg IMG_1482.jpg IMG_1483.jpg IMG_1484.jpg IMG_1485.jpg
I got some revised CADs back!
Tri shank has now been split before joining the donut
Outer melee have been reduced
Outer melee are 1.1, inner melee are 1.6mm
My thoughts are -
It's still very big overall measurements are 15.85mm by 13.69 (DK is making it size 5.25, he will put sizing beads on to reduce to 4.75). I have long fingers but I was envisaging it 1mm smaller each way. Could inner melee be reduced in size? Extra one or two inserted?
@diamondseeker2006 mentioned the difficulty in fitting a band, but I think it looks a little on the low side anyway (stumpy?!) the gallery area could come up a bit perhaps.
Leading on from that where the middle wire comes up to meet the ring the swoop isn't looking very swoopy if that makes sense
I want some diamonds in the gallery, not loads but a sprinkle and I'm still not sure on the design something more flowing maybe?
I'm feeling the tri shank looks a little bulky at the top when looking directly down.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the direction of the changes. I'm starting to see an oval and much better proportions!

If he is going to reduce the melee on the inner row, you want him to do so to insert two stones to keep the design balanced. If you want it more oval overall and less cushiony, you might ask him to show you options to elongate N/S while slimming E/W. Maybe keep the 1.6 at the N/S, but reduce E/W

Can you ask him to show you the ring with a wedding band of the size (height/width) you want? People did not wear wedding band with these vintage rings, so you may want to have it raised a bit if the band you like will not fit. I'm also not sure that the diamonds on the cuff won't eat any band you put next to them anyway.

I see your concern about the overall size. Here is an oval and cushion on your finger size. It near 100% coverage. That would be a bit much for me, but its not a ton more than the vintage ring you have on in the earlier picture.
upload_2018-1-29_21-7-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-29_21-15-15.png
    upload_2018-1-29_21-15-15.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 24
  • upload_2018-1-29_21-18-57.png
    upload_2018-1-29_21-18-57.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 24
  • upload_2018-1-29_21-35-44.png
    upload_2018-1-29_21-35-44.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 22
  • upload_2018-1-29_21-44-1.png
    upload_2018-1-29_21-44-1.png
    296.6 KB · Views: 20

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_1486.jpg IMG_1487.jpg IMG_1478.jpg IMG_1479.jpg IMG_1480.jpg @rockysalamander yes thanks I've had a play on that website and I agree it's too big. I will speak to DK about reducing the inner melee. Do you think the outer melee are the right size?
I like these diamond galleries. Anyone have any photos of ones that might suit my ring more?
With regard to the overall shape I do not dislike it or find it too cushiony. But I take your point about possibly enlongating using smaller stones e/w.
I also take your point regarding the cuffs shedding a band, another thing to consider.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m still on team “don’t put diamonds in the shank”
I wouldn’t reduce the size of the bezel melee too much or it’ll just look like a metal halo vs a diamond halo
I like the gallery
I see no reason to wear a wedding band with this who will even see it under there
I like the way this tri wire splits. I wouldn’t engrave it - but just the way it angles up to the head of the ring - might fix that problem you have of feeling like the shank is too bulky from the top
https://m.ebay.com/itm/14K-Yellow-G...ButtonRing-Circa-1880-s-size-6-5/162821515670

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Niel for your comments.
Not sure what you mean by diamonds on the shank - the diamond cuffs?
I think you might be right re the bezel melee
Wedding ring - I don't want one under I like the way Blake Lively wears hers that's the look I would like if I did one
Thanks for the eBay link it does look elegant not sure exactly why you were pointing out though, Looking @msop04 thread on her David Klass halo ring which I know you had a hand in, I think the way that joins the halo looks great more elegant from the profile that's what I mean by swoop is this what you mean as well? Msop I hope you don't mind me borrowing your cad image to show what i mean.
Think it looks less elegant on my cad
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1488.jpg
Also think the lower height is less elegant, I wondered about having the tri shank meet the donut on the donut itself so it would sit higher rather than having it join to the sides. Anyone get what I mean? Or am I just talking a load of blah?!

Attachments

• IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 13

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Niel for your comments.
Not sure what you mean by diamonds on the shank - the diamond cuffs?
I think you might be right re the bezel melee
Wedding ring - I don't want one under I like the way Blake Lively wears hers that's the look I would like if I did one
Thanks for the eBay link it does look elegant not sure exactly why you were pointing out though, Looking @msop04 thread on her David Klass halo ring which I know you had a hand in, I think the way that joins the halo looks great more elegant from the profile that's what I mean by swoop is this what you mean as well? Msop I hope you don't mind me borrowing your cad image to show what i mean.
Think it looks less elegant on my cad
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1488.jpg
Also think the lower height is less elegant, I wondered about having the tri shank meet the donut on the donut itself so it would sit higher rather than having it join to the sides. Anyone get what I mean? Or am I just talking a load of blah?!

Yes the the cuff is in the shank and I would not put diamonds on it.

I showed you that link becuase it demonstrates a way of having a tri wire split the way you like while still tucking the two side wires under the middle one enough that it doesn’t look bulky. However if you copy msops shank I would support that too.

As large as your ring is I would want a cathedral vs having the shank just end in the donut. Looks like a bobble head to me at that point.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wedding ring - I don't want one under I like the way Blake Lively wears hers that's the look I would like if I did one.

I just wanted to point out that your ring will be WAAAAAAAYYY larger than Blake Lively's... and hers is a simple oval solitaire with clean, sleek lines. Yours is a huge double halo with a lot going on. Honestly, a band doesn't make sense with the design you want for the engagement ring. To try to wear a very slender one wouldn't give the same look as BL's set. It's just a completely different look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results