shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on David Klass CADs for oval double halo ring

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@msop04 just to clarify I don't want the 'look' of Blake Lively's set, if I wanted to recreate it obviously wouldn't have gone down the route I have. I like the tilted look of her thin wedding band with her oval engagement ring, that's all.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You like a "gap"

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ring that takes up my whole top finger 100% vertical coverage. I took some pictures of it with a wedding band vs an oval I have. The oval doesn’t have as much coverage and the gap looks appropriate. The monster of a ring looks silly with a band, it hangs over the knuckle and looks smooshed. Just something to think about. I love the gap on the oval and I do wear these two rings like this so I get the appeal of the gap. I’m very pro gap lol

AFCA608E-323B-4DCA-AA68-DA3D60B8A261.jpeg
AAFBF8AB-619F-4EFF-9B23-89307EA03047.jpeg 17776344-96D6-4E6F-8190-6B11BBE77A7A.jpeg DE4DB384-032B-4C15-A801-9712F4840882.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel - is there a thread for that gorgeous opal ring? Any chance I could convince you to throw up a few photos in SMTB? It's gorgeous, and I want to see the metal work!

Sorry for the thread-jack, Meely! :wavey:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a ring that takes up my whole top finger 100% vertical coverage. I took some pictures of it with a wedding band vs an oval I have. The oval doesn’t have as much coverage and the gap looks appropriate. The monster of a ring looks silly with a band, it hangs over the knuckle and looks smooshed. Just something to think about. I love the gap on the oval and I do wear these two rings like this so I get the appeal of the gap. I’m very pro gap lol

AFCA608E-323B-4DCA-AA68-DA3D60B8A261.jpeg
AAFBF8AB-619F-4EFF-9B23-89307EA03047.jpeg 17776344-96D6-4E6F-8190-6B11BBE77A7A.jpeg DE4DB384-032B-4C15-A801-9712F4840882.jpeg

What is that cloth in the background?! :mrgreen2:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off topic- reminds me of 'The Rescuers" movie from long ago!
What is that cloth in the background?! :mrgreen2:

Anyways...to get the tilted look, get your thin wedding band a bit bigger than your engagement ring and it will set like that.

Some amateur (horrid) mock-ups with your cad that might help give you some ideas of what you may like or dislike:
You_Doodle_2018-01-31T14_47_21Z.png
You_Doodle_2018-01-31T15_03_34Z.png
The first will have a profile more like the SK ring with gemstone floral basket you pictured upthread.
The second has the donut below the filigree gallery (like the LM pictures you gave upthread), not tucked in.
Either way, those pictures upthread - the SK is heavily (but finely) filigree'd so in my opinion it prevents the birdcage look of an empty basket.
The LM's are all super deep belly stones that fill in that open filigree space.
Just something to keep in mind how the idea would look different with your stone/double halo.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher and @Niel sorry no alerts again!

Niel, your rings are lovely and I appreciate you taking the time to post them and I agree with your points. I'm going to do a mock up later and try it on my finger they are long but long enough? We shall see! @mrs-b I agree think we need to see more of the opal ring!

rfisher, thank you for taking the time to photoshop those CADs. I emailed DK earlier and asked about setting it slightly higher, I don't want the construction changed majorly. I don't want anything so elaborate with the gallery as any of those I posted, I think something like @alene SK ring would be more up my street not in terms of construction for the gallery but just the beautiful decorative bezelled simplicity of what's in the gallery. It may be a case of just of inserting little diamonds in the circles but a small amount of swirling randomness with the odd scattered diamond is almost what I have in mind. I think that's why I liked the LM galleries, for the swirls.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 just to clarify I don't want the 'look' of Blake Lively's set, if I wanted to recreate it obviously wouldn't have gone down the route I have. I like the tilted look of her thin wedding band with her oval engagement ring, that's all.

No, I understand what you meant. :) I just meant that the band would be waaaay tilted with such a large ering.

ETA: exacty what @Niel said...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DE4DB384-032B-4C15-A801-9712F4840882.jpeg

This is a great example of what I meant... your ring will be large and beautiful -- a band just doesn't "go" with that type of setting. But, I mean, good Lord, you'll have amazing finger coverage anyway, so who needs to put a band there??! ;-)

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_1525.jpg IMG_1526.jpg IMG_1527.jpg IMG_1528.jpg
So I asked David to reduce the halo more and make the gallery a bit taller and tuck the middle wire up under the halo.
The stones are now 1mm outer halo, 1.4mm inner halo. This has reduced the overall width to 13.2mm. It also means that there are 14 stones rather than 12 and less gaps which I prefer.
However ideally I would have liked to have got the width to under 13 and I'm not there yet. I'm not bothered on the length, this ring (excuse it and my skanky hands) is 12mm across by 18mm long so I feel like I have the real estate to cope with the length.
IMG_1502.JPG
The middle wire is now tucked under and looks more elegant so that is goodband the shank width has been reduced.
I'm not sure my changes have improved things overall though. It's the profile (north/south) which is bothering me, is now lower overall and the halos do not look so nice and tilted, presumably because the stone size has been reduced. I think they might just be reduced too much? This was the inspiration pic I sent for the overall profile look, think we have moved further away from it now.
IMG_1522.jpg
So I have some questions:
1. What do I do about melee size. Keep reduced or increase again?
2. Has anyone got examples of halo rings with 1mm/1.4mm melee stones?
3. What is a good overall height for a halo not to catch on everything but not to look 'flat' overall. I was thinking around 6mm. But perhaps others think height is fine it's just the proportions that are off?!
4. Had an idea of bezelling around the oval but only decoratively like a line of metal and putting in some delicate prongs to hold the stone in place just to reduce the width?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prongs wouldn’t make any sense with the current configuration. If you put the bezel melee as the outer halo you could do prongs but I wouldn’t how the halo is currently set up

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes bit too much of a mish mash I guess

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo on the inspiration ring is tilted more bc the OEC in it looks to have a higher crown, so the tilt angle is the same. Your stone's crown is lower and the angle not as tall, so DK was "matching" it up to your particular stone.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Right I have made some degree of decision. I did a paper cut out of the second CADs and I am perfectly happy with it being bigger. So I'm not going to worry too much about the width anymore!
IMG_1529.JPG

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shanks look very wide there is that the width you’re after ?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No thats the middle cad I will have the shank as per the last cad which is noticeably thinner.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is going to give you plenty of coverage. I love all the changes and it will be very blingy and beautiful!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is going to give you plenty of coverage. I love all the changes and it will be very blingy and beautiful!

Thank you redwood, I'm excited! Just trying not to rush and take on board everything that is being said!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That last shank is only 1.7mm at the base. It seems like a three-wire would be the same width all the way up. I think that is too thin. I'd want a minimum of 2mm especially with a ring this big on top.

If you look back on this thread to msop's three stone ring with 3 wire shank, you can see how thin it looks on the actual ring on her finger, but the CAD says it's 2.14. I'd stick with your second with of 2.0 for sure. If you had a tiny dainty halo, I might go for 1.8, but I think you need the 2mm with the size of your halo. Remember, everything will look more delicate than these cads.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Niel for your comments.
Not sure what you mean by diamonds on the shank - the diamond cuffs?
I think you might be right re the bezel melee
Wedding ring - I don't want one under I like the way Blake Lively wears hers that's the look I would like if I did one
Thanks for the eBay link it does look elegant not sure exactly why you were pointing out though, Looking @msop04 thread on her David Klass halo ring which I know you had a hand in, I think the way that joins the halo looks great more elegant from the profile that's what I mean by swoop is this what you mean as well? Msop I hope you don't mind me borrowing your cad image to show what i mean.
Think it looks less elegant on my cad
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1488.jpg
Also think the lower height is less elegant, I wondered about having the tri shank meet the donut on the donut itself so it would sit higher rather than having it join to the sides. Anyone get what I mean? Or am I just talking a load of blah?!

This is what I was trying to tell you before. These rings are rarely to never made with the top tri-wire reaching up to the halo. Msop has a little petal element on hers. Others have different shapes, but they are not the plain tiny wire connecting up to the halo. I'll see if I can find pictures, but it's not easy since I need a side view of the ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here are some pics of the piece that connects the shank to the halo. Some have nice galleries, too.

antiquecushhalo.jpg
cushionhalo2.jpg
3wireshank.jpg
EDJhalo2.jpg
SShalo3.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @diamondseeker2006 yes you are right re wires, I like the images you posted but not sure for my ring. I think you do get the three way separation but I haven't seen it with wires. This is the side view of the pink sapphire ring I posted earlier in the thread which has it. I actually liked the profile on this ring which is why I saved it.
IMG_1548.PNG
I know the tri wire and diamond cuffs idea is not popular but I'm not sure what else I would want to do. I just want something decorative but not ornate which is what a lot of the period designs seem to me. (I like but I don't want). I wondered about just a slightly rounded shank with three or so diamonds set in it either side. Would possibly get rid of the cathedral it I did that though.
I take your point regarding shank width it looks tapered to me as well though.
Think I need to consolidate thoughts and improvements at this point. I haven't yet got back to David and said please can you put the diamond back to how they were before I changed them. I don't want to keep making change upon change needlessly.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_1550.jpg IMG_1551.jpg IMG_1552.jpg IMG_1553.jpg IMG_1554.jpg IMG_1555.jpg IMG_1549.jpg Alternative ideas from my Pinterest board for the shoulders that are plainer but still would 'fit'. What do you think? There are some plain tri wires I found but I would like some diamonds I think.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you're going to need cathedral no matter what. I like all of the above except for the 3rd and last because they just have the thin wires. I like tri-wire shanks a lot. I just think since you want the top to be more modern, a tri-wire might not complement that aspect as well as something else. I am going to try to look through my folders to see if I can find some options that might work and post again later.

I think this shank works well for modern or antique.
CVB.Casablanca.jpg
Here's a Tiffany Legacy ring..

TiffanyLegacyfancyyellow1.jpg TiffanyLegacyfancyyellow2.jpg

I'll look some more.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emeralddeco2.jpg

This ring belongs to Madelise here on the forum. It has a very large center stone, and thus. less halo. But it's a large ring. She chose a plain shank, but you could add diamonds near the top if you wanted. I thought you might like to see how the gallery was done since it was also made my DK.

DKlassVivian1.jpg DKlassVivian2.jpg DKlassVivian3.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ovalsapphirehalo2.jpg ovalsapphirehalo5.jpg

I think this is the most modern-friendly element for the shoulder if you choose to stick with the tri-wire shank.

cushionhalo2.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @diamondseeker2006 there are some good ideas there Ive got a birthday party to organise but I will be back later when I've had time to look

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have had a look through, thank you so much @diamondseeker2006 there are some great ideas there. The stuck on shapes are not what I want. Something that flows down from the halo and then seamlessly into the shank would be better. I like the simplicity of Madelise's profile. I like the diamond detailing on the shoulders of the last two best but even then I would want it plainer and I'm not sure I would want the tri wire anymore. I liked the idea of it flowing up and visibly forming the donut. However if I'm hiding where it joins with a panel there seems to be less point in that and then the tri wire becomes just an extraneous bit of fuss. How do you think it's done in the original inspiration photo with the blue sapphire? Hard to tell.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is like the ones I've just posted. The two wires attach to the base or doughnut and the little element starts at the cuff and goes up and attaches to the halo.

img_1449-jpg.609982

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like these:

cushionhalo2-jpg.611246

Or the 2 wires can spread out more at the base like this (ignore that this isn't a halo)

CVBchloe3.6AVR.jpg

But in all of these rings, only the outer two wires attach to the base of the head. The third wire is gone and a decorative element is put in that place and extends up to attach to the halo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results