shape
carat
color
clarity

This thread is mostly pics: umbalite from Gene!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Chrono that, when it comes to this kind of stones, it''s always a good idea to accentuate the unusual cut. But I also like the halo idea, cause it would give a good degree of protection to the stone, which is also something to consider with this shape. And then there''s another issue - if you go with a halo, you''re in "danger" of getting the size of diamonds wrong; cause with a stone of around 8 mm, diamonds should probably be around 1.5 mm to show any serious brilliance, but still let the garnet maintain the center stage. Anyway, problems, sweet problems...enjoy them
2.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I think the color of your umba looks similar this toumaline in this setting. I love how the metal flows. This ring is on Gene's website.

tourma.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2009 11:09:32 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 6/14/2009 5:30:38 PM
Author: cellentani

Date: 6/14/2009 5:23:38 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Congrats on your beautiful stone. Those umbalites are gorgeous, aren''t they???
36.gif
Yes, I love them! You''ve got one too, don''t you Fly Girl? If I recall correctly, weren''t you the first to get one after babyblue? Did you ever set yours?
Yes. I loved babyblue''s umba, and jumped all over the next one Gene posted. The thread about my ring is here. Link My stone has 9 sides, so it was a bit tricky to set. I love how it turns grapey colored in some lights, but I haven''t managed to get a picture of that. Looking forward to seeing how you set yours.

garnetwsnap4321.JPG
YES! Something simple like that to show off the outline and cut. Perfect!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
SO pretty!!! Love love love the cut!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2009 5:28:44 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Oh Cellentani I''m so pleased you started a thread for this gorgeous Umbalite. It''s incredibly pretty and I love the colour play. I too have one from Gene that is absolutely gorgeous. I''m sure you''ve done this but have a look at it in a room with windows (not near them) so the room has natural daylight but not too much - does the Umbalite show different colours more then? Mine takes on a completely different personality in that lighting.

Lucky you!
Yes - that''s exactly what I love about this stone! And it''s so vibrant!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 2:35:56 AM
Author: kribbie
Oh my gosh it is GORGEOUS! I want one!
2.gif
kribbie - you should get one! I just emailed Gene to see if he had anything available, there wasn''t one on his site.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 2:31:01 AM
Author: loriken214
WOW Cellentani.....I LOVE THIS STONE....AWESOME COLOR!!!!
30.gif

Lori
Aww, thanks Lori!! Hope you''re feeling better today - hugs.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 2:39:06 AM
Author: ma re
I agree with Chrono that, when it comes to this kind of stones, it's always a good idea to accentuate the unusual cut. But I also like the halo idea, cause it would give a good degree of protection to the stone, which is also something to consider with this shape. And then there's another issue - if you go with a halo, you're in 'danger' of getting the size of diamonds wrong; cause with a stone of around 8 mm, diamonds should probably be around 1.5 mm to show any serious brilliance, but still let the garnet maintain the center stage. Anyway, problems, sweet problems...enjoy them
2.gif
Really?? You don't think 1.5mm is kinda big? My 8.3mm cushion morganite has a halo of 1.3mm diamonds, and I think it looks pretty good-sized. I am a sucker for halos though, and I'd wondered about protecting all the points. And you're right, they're all sweet problems to have.
9.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 5:38:03 AM
Author: mochi
I think the color of your umba looks similar this toumaline in this setting. I love how the metal flows. This ring is on Gene's website.
Wow, mochi - that's one of the nicest color tourmalines I've seen. Thanks for the gorgeous pic!

And thank you princessplease for the lovely comments!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh man,,, what a gorgeous luscious STONE!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thank you D&T and MGT!

Soooo, can I get some opinions on this setting? I know a few people suggested a simple setting to show off the 10 sides, and this one is certainly not simple. Do you think it''s just to0 fancy?

Umbalite setting1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
It has a super-low profile, which I love.

Umbalite setting2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
With the umbalite.

Umbalite setting3.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Another

Umbalite setting5.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Last one. Tell me what you think - please!

Umbalite setting6.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lurve
30.gif
that setting, I don''t know though, I also like the plain looking settings too for your umbalite, especially with those lines, but the setting is so pretty too.. so i''m not much help
33.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
The colour on that is really beautiful and the cut is STUNNING. The last setting is by far my favourite too.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Aww dang, I was hoping you guys would tell me it was too busy - it''s more than twice as much as the nicest LOGR setting I was looking at (and at the BIN price with diamond upgrading, too).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 5:58:56 PM
Aww dang, I was hoping you guys would tell me it was too busy - it''s more than twice as much as the nicest LOGR setting I was looking at (and at the BIN price with diamond upgrading, too).
Sorry, but that is a lovely setting, and I really think it works well with your umbalite.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not into halos but that setting is incredibly pretty and would make a lovely setting for your umbalite.
30.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 7:33:24 PM
Author: Chrono
I''m not into halos but that setting is incredibly pretty and would make a lovely setting for your umbalite.
30.gif
Even you, Chrono?!

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that setting is gorgeous! The stone is pretty, too!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Funny thing is, I just realized that I already have a similar look in two other rings - I keep buying the same darn thing!

all the same rings.JPG

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
OH I LOVE THat Setting!!!!
may I ask--- where did u find it?
I love the side details as well.
I am also thinking of putting my gene garnet in a prong set halo setting.
1.gif

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 2:47:20 PM
It has a super-low profile, which I love.

30.gif
30.gif
I love the low profile!
if we went shopping together--We would pick out the same things! LOL

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 9:48:45 PM
Author: blinkydoll
OH I LOVE THat Setting!!!!
may I ask--- where did u find it?
I love the side details as well.
I am also thinking of putting my gene garnet in a prong set halo setting.
1.gif
Hey blinky, nice to see you! My local jeweler went to the annual convention in Vegas and brought back a few pieces. It''s a very nice ring - has a nice weight (18k), and the diamonds are definitely G,VS quality, if not better. The price is higher than my budget, but I was actually surprised that it wasn''t more expensive. Do you have an idea of what type of halo you''d like? Is your stone 10-sided too?

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love those settings! Wait, where do you live???
9.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 9:56:56 PM
Author: Babyblue033
I love those settings! Wait, where do you live???
9.gif
Ooooh, come visit me Babyblue, I''m in VA. But bring your garnets!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results