shape
carat
color
clarity

The time has come - any thoughts and prayers for mom very appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great news for sure! I know you must be relieved!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG, that is just wonderful news...

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
thank goodness. *breathing a sigh of relief*

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

FG, you can''t imagine how happy I am for you and your Mom!!!!!! That is such great news!!!!!!!!!
35.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
FG, I''m so glad to hear the good news!!!!!!

I just wanted you to know that my mom had a quite similar case of breast cancer. She had a good sized tumor, AND they found more during surgery that they hadn''t seen before, but got good margins, AND she had exactly 2 lymph nodes that were malignant...

...AND we''re celebrating her 15 year cancer-free anniversary next month!!! Here''s to hoping that the similarities between our mothers'' cases doesn''t end here. :) I''m thinking about you and your mom and sending happy happy thoughts your way!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
FG, I'm so glad to hear this news! You must be so relieved. Hopefully you will continue to get good news and your mom will have a speedy recovery. So happy for you!
emhot.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FG - That is wonderful news and I''m very relieved for you and your mom!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear your news FG! I wish your mom your well during her recovery.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I am so happy for you and for your mom. How wonderful that things look as good as they do. Seriously, I personally feel a lot of relief and I''m just out here in internet land. You all must be thrilled.

You mom''s story is totally remarkable to me in a number of ways. One thing I would be very interested to know, if you didn''t mind sharing it: what exactly made your mom feel that something was wrong with her breast to start with? If I read the thread properly it sounds like there was nothing palpable and nothing on the mammo. So, what gave her the motivation to push for that ultrasound?

This is of interest to me cause I feel it can help other women sort out things that maybe the doctor is missing.

Huurrrayyy for the conservative surgeon who went for the mastectomy instead of the lumpectomy. That sounds like a lifesaving move! Very, very good news FG, I am happy for your family.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
I''m so happy to hear that you received good news!
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fg, I am so glad to hear she is on the mend.

I know three women diagnosed early with breast cancer, all are cancer free after their respective treatments going on 5 years now. There seems to be so much they can do now...Hooray and I am glad that you have had good news in the midst of this.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Firegoddess, I''ve been following your thread and am so relieved to hear that your mum is doing well. My aunt had a mastectomy almost 10 years ago and she''s going strong at 75! Hang in there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2006 8:02:29 PM
Author: FireGoddess
We just got back from the doctor''s office. It turns out that out of 10 lymph nodes that were taken, 2 had evidence of cancer cells in them. Those 2 were the sentinel lymph nodes. The good news is that the lesions had clean borders and no evidence of being on the outer surface of the nodes, which means that the likelihood the cancer spread beyond the lymph nodes is much smaller. Also, the other 8 nodes were benign.

Interestingly, the chemo had shrunk the tumor so much that it almost was completely gone and there was a possibility mom could go for a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy. The surgeon recommended going with the mastectomy to be safe. Good thing, because they found another 3 cm tumor that was completely undetected, even by the MRI. It wouldn''t have been removed if she hadn''t gone for the full mastectomy. Better safe than sorry.

The doctor said mom''s prognosis was very good so we are breathing a sigh of relief right now. She needs to keep healing and then move on to the radiation treatments.

Thanks for all the support guys...I couldn''t have felt strong without it!!
Sorry FG, I had to quote this so I could respond completely, I guess! I''m so happy to hear that things are looking up for your mom! My MIL just sent me an email telling me that her mom always used to say: "out of all bad things comes something great." I really believe that.

I''m sure you would give anything if your mom just didn''t have to go through anymore and would just be well. I felt the same way after my dad had extensive surgery to remove his cancer; I can tell you though, that it is never a simple journey and that the prolonging of life requires a lot more than just hope, unfortunately. It is a hard road for all involved, especially the patient, but you know what? It certainly brings families closer, lets patients know how much they are loved, and brings strength in the end to all involved.

I wish you all the strength and love in the world, FG. I sincerely hope that your mom gets through this and that you and your family get through this as well. Cancer SUCKS, and sad as it is, it is a reality for many people...may you all take comfort in knowing that others struggle with this every day, in every way, and people DO survive and live long lives even after setbacks such as these. My dad has been cancer-free for 2 yrs. now...just saw him this last weekend, colostomy and all, and 3 yrs. later he is still going strong. Your mom can do it too! I really wish you and her and your family the best and am ecstactic that she got a good report today!!!!
36.gif
Pink ribbons/drinks/pink everything all around!
36.gif
35.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
FG! I think that under the circumstances, that is the very best news you can ask for. Incidently, I think it was a really wise decision to go for the masectomy, personally, I would always go on the side of caution when your life is at stake. In any case, take care during this difficult road to recovery.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update FG, that is really positive news!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
FG,

That is wonderful news; I am thrilled for your mom, you and the rest of your family. Please keep us posted on how she and you are doing.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
FG, I am so thrilled to hear that the report was so encouraging. I will continue to pray for her strength and the rest of the family as well during her radiation treatment.

shay

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
encouraging news! That''s great!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15990645/

Just wanted to pass along this article--promising news on the cancer research/diagnosis front!

Hope you and your family are getting along well FG...I will continue to think positive thoughts for you all, esp. your mother, and do my part to help out the cause.

Think Pink!
36.gif
35.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
FG

I''ve haven''t been PS''ing much lately...but I was pleased to find this thread and read your good news! Take good care of yourself and your mom! ((hugs))

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for such encouraging and wonderful replies. I have finally gotten back home, though I must say I didn''t want to leave my parents alone again. Mom is doing physical therapy for her arm on the affected side. She goes to the oncologist sometime this week where I think they will start the radiation treatments, and possibly even the aromatase inhibitor pills. It has been and still is a long road but I feel better thinking that the worst of the treatments is now over. I am so glad I was able to go home and take care of her. She really needed the help, more than my dad could really give her, so I was very happy to be useful.

Date: 11/28/2006 10:57:37 PM
Author: Beacon
One thing I would be very interested to know, if you didn''t mind sharing it: what exactly made your mom feel that something was wrong with her breast to start with? If I read the thread properly it sounds like there was nothing palpable and nothing on the mammo. So, what gave her the motivation to push for that ultrasound?
Beacon, for about 2 years now my mom had felt discomfort in the breast that included some hardness, feelings of heat on the area, and more recently dimpling of the skin. Her gynecologist should have immediately picked up on these symptoms, but when the mammograms came back clean the doctor would dismiss my mom''s complaints at every visit. Now that the skin started to dimple my mom realized that was not normal and demanded more tests be done, even though the doctor dismissed it. The doctor really should be taken to task, actually, as we now know that these are symptoms the American Cancer Society clearly lists as things of concern.

Thanks everybody for your care, concern, and kind thoughts!!!
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FG - Thanks for checking in and letting us know your mom's progress. Biggest hugs outgoing for both of you and hopes of an easy road ahead for her.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I came in late on the thread but wanted to say that sounds great and I am glad your mom is doing well.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
FG, thanks for the update on your mom. I am sure she was so happy that you were there for her and I bet it made a big difference in how she was able to handle the surgery and post op. Thanks also for relating your mom''s experience and observation of her own symptoms. Definitely shows that we women need to trust our own instincts and observations and also not be afraid to check ourselves.

All my wishes for continued recovery for your mom.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
FG,

Just wanted to check in and see how your mom is doing. Hope all is well with her, you and the rest of your family.

~K

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
She''s doing well and going through PT right?? Hugs to you and your mom!!!!
12.gif

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to wish your mother, you, and the rest of your family all the best. We lost my mother at the age of 54 on Valentine''s Day 2006. It is her birthday today, and obviously the first one without her.

Reading situations like yours makes me very happy, and it was the best and right thing to do when you chose to go take care of your mom. Even if you did it selfishly just to be with her, I''d be okay with that too. :)

-G

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its really good to hear that your mum is doing so well and that she was aware enough of her body to know something was very wrong. I bet there are people who would have accepted what the doctors were saying and ended up very ill.

I am amazed at the way people on here surrounded you with a great big ''virtual hug''..... Its fantastic that people from all over your country and maybe even the world grouped together to support you through such a difficult and distressing time. All the prayers and genuine concern must have really helped you a lot.

Maisie

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 7:29:06 PM
Author: Maisiebelle
I am amazed at the way people on here surrounded you with a great big ''virtual hug''..... Its fantastic that people from all over your country and maybe even the world grouped together to support you through such a difficult and distressing time. All the prayers and genuine concern must have really helped you a lot.
Seriously, you have no idea. You can''t possibly imagine how much it helped! In situations like these sometimes it''s too overwhelming to talk to friends over the phone and it really helps to have virtual friends and feel their support and concern, and even reread their messages when you''re feeling upset and worried. The people on this board seriously ARE diamonds...beautiful, sparkly, wonderful human beings.

I didn''t see this thread on the 10th, so sorry for not replying sooner Kimberly! Just noticed it got bumped. Thanks for asking. Mom is going through radiation right now. She''s gone through 12 treatments and has about 18 more to go. So far it''s been a cakewalk compared to the chemo and the surgery. She is also going through PT to regain full range of motion in her arm after the mastectomy and reconstruction. That''s been physically hard work but of course necessary. She is looking forward to the radiation being over so she won''t have to go to the doctor every day!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 7:05:51 PM
Author: Moosejaw
I just wanted to wish your mother, you, and the rest of your family all the best. We lost my mother at the age of 54 on Valentine''s Day 2006. It is her birthday today, and obviously the first one without her.

Reading situations like yours makes me very happy, and it was the best and right thing to do when you chose to go take care of your mom. Even if you did it selfishly just to be with her, I''d be okay with that too. :)

-G
Moosejaw, thank you for your kind words. I am so sorry to hear of your mother''s passing. Yesterday must have been especially hard for you. I hope you''re doing okay.

I of course wanted to see my mom, but going to take care of her was especially hard because I am very emotional about suffering (people, animals, whatever). So it was a very emotionally taxing trip. But she definitely needed me there (at least physically, and I''m pretty sure emotionally). I am looking forward to going out to see her under better circumstances!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results