carat
color
clarity

The Show your Paraiba or Copper bearing tourmaline thread

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The Show your Paraiba or Copper bearing tourmaline threa

New project: a small sapphire and paraiba 5 stone ring. Yvonne will put it in her hex setting for me. :)
il_570xn_219.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1489371577|4139576 said:
New project: a small sapphire and paraiba 5 stone ring. Yvonne will put it in her hex setting for me. :)
il_570xn_219.jpg

What an impressive selection of stones Mochiko!!! This will be such a beautiful ring with these saturated sapphire and Paraiba stones :love: Did Yvonne sourced these for you?

We do need a 'Mochiko's selection' thread!!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1489371577|4139576 said:
il_570xn_219.jpg

This is going to be a beauty. Can't wait to see pics, once it's done! :love:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is just a cuprian which almost fell in my lap. Not clean but amazingly glowy and over 2 ct. Recut, just leave, or set? No clue, I don't know much about them. You can see by the color of my skin how little light there is in the room.

20170318_182154.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mic drop...

Talk about neon glow!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally got my little pear back from the jeweler. Single halo with alternating white and blue diamonds (the color matches a lot better IRL compared to this photo!).

paraibaring.jpg
Wow!!! That's amazing Snotty!!!

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
@snotty_pie that looks amazing! I didn't think of blue diamonds! I thought that the colours wouldn't match.

@kylier and @Acinom Wow! that also looks amazing. The ring has a very interesting design.

I'm planning to make Paraiba ring down the road, these are great inspirations!

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
@mahaha - It's not a 100% match (the lighter color that the diamond shows matches but then the darker part doesn't as well), but even then it compliments the color well. My jeweler also spent a lot of time hand-selecting the blue diamonds that would match better, which was very nice of him. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is just a cuprian which almost fell in my lap. Not clean but amazingly glowy and over 2 ct. Recut, just leave, or set? No clue, I don't know much about them. You can see by the color of my skin how little light there is in the room.

20170318_182154.jpg
Please do not recut, you risk losing saturation. I think it's lovely as is.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please do not recut, you risk losing saturation. I think it's lovely as is.
It is saturated, but I am not used to the fact that they are included. They are mostly included and it looks unusual to me.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is saturated, but I am not used to the fact that they are included. They are mostly included and it looks unusual to me.
Yes but then what would recutting do, silly billy?! Just make it a smaller, less saturated included stone, lol!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes but then what would recutting do, silly billy?! Just make it a smaller, less saturated included stone, lol!
I know. Minous, I should probably make a post about the stones acquired in pre-precision cut times. Some are insanely beautiful, but I have a feeling that they can be improved, just don't know much about what is available now.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know. Minous, I should probably make a post about the stones acquired in pre-precision cut times. Some are insanely beautiful, but I have a feeling that they can be improved, just don't know much about what is available now.

I totally understand - and maybe if you start such a thread, I'll get around to adding my stones pre-precision cut times as well! :oops:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not mine, but I saw this at a recent gem show. It's a lavender purple copper bearing tourmaline, and the dealer kept calling it a paraiba. I don't think I agree with that, but I thought I'd post it anyways. It's still a super rare color of tourmaline.

IMG_6822.JPG

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not mine, but I saw this at a recent gem show. It's a lavender purple copper bearing tourmaline, and the dealer kept calling it a paraiba. I don't think I agree with that, but I thought I'd post it anyways. It's still a super rare color of tourmaline.

IMG_6822.JPG

The purple stones are unheated and some have obvious copper needles inside as one of my dealers have showed me in the loupe and they can turn the neon blue or blue green when heated. I'm not sure though if this is the case for the pictured stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The purple stones are unheated and some have obvious copper needles inside as one of my dealers have showed me in the loupe and they can turn the neon blue or blue green when heated. I'm not sure though if this is the case for the pictured stone.

Yes, true. Here's my six carat cushion. It has a GIT lab memo indicating the presence of copper. If heated,it might turn bluish.

IMG_6860.JPG

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL,

Yours is a nice hue (even when left untouched) than many stones I've seen before heating. Many are grayish purple and not very attractive and they are more of collector stones but turn a fantastic blue after heating.

littledebbie81

Shiny_Rock
I finally got my little pear back from the jeweler. Single halo with alternating white and blue diamonds (the color matches a lot better IRL compared to this photo!).

paraibaring.jpg
Do you have more pics of your ring? I am thinking of making a ring similar to this. Thanks!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,

Yours is a nice hue (even when left untouched) than many stones I've seen before heating. Many are grayish purple and not very attractive and they are more of collector stones but turn a fantastic blue after heating.

Seaglow I remember reading a thread (it may have been on the GIA forum, don't remember) where a collector had a beautiful bright pink copper bearing tourmaline. He heated it and it turned almost colorless. He took it in stride but it was very interesting and I was glad he shared pictures. I suspect he hoped to get the stone that paraiba blue color that is so coveted for it's unique beauty. Just thought I'd share that story because it was not what I would have expected.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seaglow I remember reading a thread (it may have been on the GIA forum, don't remember) where a collector had a beautiful bright pink copper bearing tourmaline. He heated it and it turned almost colorless. He took it in stride but it was very interesting and I was glad he shared pictures. I suspect he hoped to get the stone that paraiba blue color that is so coveted for it's unique beauty. Just thought I'd share that story because it was not what I would have expected.

It is definitely possible for the stone to react that way as copper-bearing tourmalines may also have other impurities that give them color such as iron and manganese. Also, professional heaters have a certain temperature they use. Stones can be overheated. Copper is unaffected by hearing most of the time and they produce the neon color....which is mostly on the green side rather than blue, thus the premium in blue stones, apart from demand. But when overheated, the stones become lighter. Also even if you achieve the neon color, there might be some brown inclusions seen in some stones, which can be copper inclusions just more evident with the lighter hue compared to the dark unheated hue the stone was before heating. Manganese, on the other hand, takes out red coloration, and can go away with heating.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I'm going through this thread for the 100th time again and I read a comment I made last year (When I was only dreaming about paraiba's) along the lines of you "lucky lucky lucky ladies".... now I'm a lucky lady myself! I truly feel blessed by where I am on my gemstone journey, I feel blessed to be able to be on any gemstone journey at all... and I'm sincerely thankful we have this forum and all you guys to speak to and learn from.

Never thought I'd own a 'proper' paraiba (and I don't care I consider my 5mm one to be substantial/proper even though it's meelee size to some :razz:) so I'd given up on hoping for one. Sincere thanks again to Elle on this forum who informed me she was returning the 5mm one (I had a 4mm one initially) and was here listening as I talked/wondered/aimlessly waffled on about whether I should upgrade or not haha. So grateful to you Elle!

So question: do most paraiba's (especially from Yvonne) darken up a bit once set? By darken up I don't mean negatively, somehow the paraibas here that people have set look so much better then when she lists them unset...? :think: Almost like they look deeper in colour?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results